Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Da Guru

6 year old boy sucked into wood-chipper.

34 posts in this topic

jesus christ! That is so awful. My god, how do you get over that if you're the dad???

Thanks, posty.

ETA:

As the father of 7 and 5-year-old sons, NO WAY I'm clicking on that story.

jesus christ! That is so awful. My god, how do you get over that if you're the dad???

I don't think I could. Just awful for the entire family.That said, why would you let a 6 year old anywhere near something like that? I think I got a little bit too much over-protectiveness from my mom. Not a helicopter parent, but no way would I let any of my kids near something that powerful that if they get caught on something they have no way of getting free. A grown man has enough power to maybe just lose a hand, which is bad enough, but a 6 year old has no chance to even survive.

I'd like to make a bad joke here, but I have a feeling you guys will get chippy.

I don't think I could. Just awful for the entire family.

That said, why would you let a 6 year old anywhere near something like that? I think I got a little bit too much over-protectiveness from my mom. Not a helicopter parent, but no way would I let any of my kids near something that powerful that if they get caught on something they have no way of getting free. A grown man has enough power to maybe just lose a hand, which is bad enough, but a 6 year old has no chance to even survive.

True. Once it took his arm off, he probably bled out pretty quick.

Actually, I have a hard time imagining a grown man could get away with less than that.

As the father of 7 and 5-year-old sons, NO WAY I'm clicking on that story.

Ditto :(

Horrible.

However, my kids would be nowhere near a machine like that.

heard this listening to the radio on my way home last night . Horrific scene

Thanks, posty.ETA:As the father of 7 and 5-year-old sons, NO WAY I'm clicking on that story.

seriously.

This has to be one of the worst things I have read in some time. The father owns a tree trimming business and took his 6 year old son to work with him. While the kid was throwing a branch into the chipper it sucked him in.

http://abcnews.go.co...hipper-16108262

why in the blue #### would you start this thread?

Thanks beaux.

I thought beaux was shuke

i don't think you do.so now his son is dead, his wife probably insta-divorces him and never gets over it.his life is now also ruined and I think he'd probably be on suicide watch for a long time.3+ lives ruined at the drop of a hat... i'd think it'd be almost a given that drug/alcohol abuse is on tap for the surviving family members.

Why even post this unless you're plotting to ruin everyone's day?

This story is horrible. My vote for "Thanks Posty Of The Year" and we're only 4 months in

i don't think you do.so now his son is dead, his wife probably insta-divorces him and never gets over it.his life is now also ruined and I think he'd probably be on suicide watch for a long time.3+ lives ruined at the drop of a hat... i'd think it'd be almost a given that drug/alcohol abuse is on tap for the surviving family members.
Jesus you're a real debbie downer

Always look on the bright side of lifeAlways look on the bright side of lifeSome things in life are bad, they can really make you madOther things just make you swear and curseWhen you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble give a whistleThis will help things turn out for the bestAlways look on the bright side of lifeAlways look on the right side of lifeIf life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgottenAnd that's to laugh and smile and dance and singWhen you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly, chumpsJust purse your lips and whistle, that's the thingSo, always look on the bright side of deathJust before you draw your terminal breathLife's a counterfeit and when you look at itLife's a laugh and death's the joke, it's trueYou see, it's all a show, keep them laughing as you goJust remember the last laugh is on youAlways look on the bright side of lifeAnd always look on the right side of lifeAlways look on the bright side of lifeAnd always look on the right side of life

####

Just reading the thread title made me feel :X

Horrible awful story.

Seriously.

bring your child to work day?

thats rough

Jesus you're a real debbie downer
1) not as much as the op2) you think anything i posted is even remotely inaccurate or unlikely? I'd bet on it.

Speaking as a parent of little ones ... I think it's OK to be reminded to appreciate the relationships you have with your children. That tomorrow is never guaranteed.Also ... heck who knows? Someone reading this thread may have kids in 10 years, and may have thought about bringing their young child to the machine shop. Or to check out the cool-looking printing press. Or something like that. But now, that same person will have a memory of having read this, and will be that much more cognizant that this kind of thing can actually happen.

For anyone that's familiar with wood chippers ... how, exactly, does this happen? Why wasn't the branch yanked out of the kid's hand? The only way this seems possible is if the kid climbed up onto the machine to push that branch way down deep, and then got a sleeve caught or something.

For anyone that's familiar with wood chippers ... how, exactly, does this happen? Why wasn't the branch yanked out of the kid's hand? The only way this seems possible is if the kid climbed up onto the machine to push that branch way down deep, and then got a sleeve caught or something.

My guess is that the wood chipper has a pretty strong pull and just pulled the kid in before he could he even let go of the branch. It only takes seconds...

Speaking as a parent of little ones ... I think it's OK to be reminded to appreciate the relationships you have with your children. That tomorrow is never guaranteed.Also ... heck who knows? Someone reading this thread may have kids in 10 years, and may have thought about bringing their young child to the machine shop. Or to check out the cool-looking printing press. Or something like that. But now, that same person will have a memory of having read this, and will be that much more cognizant that this kind of thing can actually happen.
Exactly..As a parent myself this horrified me. This is all over the national news. Hopefully it may save a child in the future. There should never be any children around chippers, chain saws, or any heavy operating machinery. They are very dangerous for trained adults let alone young kids.

Thanks for ruining my day! [tommy boy]Could've done without that![/tommy boy]

I can't even imagine... Wish I wouldn't have logged in to even read the thread title.. I'm going to be thinking about this all day today.. :mortified:

My guess is that the wood chipper has a pretty strong pull and just pulled the kid in before he could he even let go of the branch. It only takes seconds...

But the wood chipper's strong pull should easily overcome a 6-year-old's grip strength, no? Shouldn't be a matter of "it all happens so fast". EDIT: It's occuring to me that a small child is not tall enough to feed a wood chipper the way an adult would. The kid had to be basically reaching inside the machine.

Exactly..As a parent myself this horrified me. This is all over the national news. Hopefully it may save a child in the future. There should never be any children around chippers, chain saws, or any heavy operating machinery. They are very dangerous for trained adults let alone young kids.
OK.