What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buy Low/Sell High 2012 (1 Viewer)

rascal

Footballguy
Why not...

If I was a Josh Johnson owner I'd be afraid.

Add Lincecum to that list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owner in my league just stated that Timmy can be had for a bag of balls and a beer.

I'm going to test these waters.

Cespedes - Sell High?
I'm trying to get him hot and strong into May to build his value, mid may and see what looks like an undervalued asset that I can target. Trouble is, he's a pretty good look right now in 6x6 and I'd have to be motivated to move him. When Lawrie started 0-8 I had delusions of maybe making that sort of flip, but i think I'm dreaming. BUT, maybe Cespedes becomes someone to build a package around. Big sells on Gardner and LoMo. Both are going to have their playing time eaten into but maybe you can find someone who's interested in them. I'm contemplating trying to get agressive moving Braun, just a bad feel there but he's started off hot. And I might be a kool-aid drinkin fool, but I'd buy on Trumbo and A-Rod. I would think Luebke might be had after his first two starts too. Probably buy on Montero too, but I don't know what the expectation level is for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big sells on Gardner and LoMo. Both are going to have their playing time eaten into but maybe you can find someone who's interested in them.
I think it'll be tough sledding now that the news is already out there. Thankfully the only league I'm invested in either is a daily league with LoMo. I get to play the merry-go-round of starting 2 of LoMo vs. righties, Heyward vs. righties, Bourjos vs. lefties, and Venable vs. righties (preferably away from Petco). Had hopes that Reimold would take off too, but given his leash he has about 2-3 weeks to start producing or he's going to slide down the lineup and instead of starting 2 out of every 3 days may just get lefties and the occasional righty.

Cespedes - Sell High?
I'm trying to get him hot and strong into May to build his value, mid may and see what looks like an undervalued asset that I can target. Trouble is, he's a pretty good look right now in 6x6 and I'd have to be motivated to move him. When Lawrie started 0-8 I had delusions of maybe making that sort of flip, but i think I'm dreaming. BUT, maybe Cespedes becomes someone to build a package around. Big sells on Gardner and LoMo. Both are going to have their playing time eaten into but maybe you can find someone who's interested in them. I'm contemplating trying to get agressive moving Braun, just a bad feel there but he's started off hot. And I might be a kool-aid drinkin fool, but I'd buy on Trumbo and A-Rod. I would think Luebke might be had after his first two starts too. Probably buy on Montero too, but I don't know what the expectation level is for him.
Funny I was trying to make a move on both Cespedes AND Lawrie to a guy that is built for now. I won the league two straight years but am now in a bit of a rebuilding phase. Pre-pinkie injury I was offering David Wright and either Sin Soo Choo or Nelson Cruz for Lawrie and Cespedes. I thought he would maybe change part of the deal and reoffer, but he flat out refuses to move Lawrie. Can't say I blame him as AI think Lawrie is a budding star.

Owner in my league just stated that Timmy can be had for a bag of balls and a beer.I'm going to test these waters.
Tread lightly, given his velo me thinks there may be other issues we'll learn about later this month. I'm not pitching a buy low offer for at least another start or two.

Owner in my league just stated that Timmy can be had for a bag of balls and a beer.I'm going to test these waters.
Tread lightly, given his velo me thinks there may be other issues we'll learn about later this month. I'm not pitching a buy low offer for at least another start or two.
He's pitched his way out of similar problems before (Aug 2010). His first start was due to a bad inning and a half, he looked solid in-between those. Last night was just the Cosmos overreacting to the Zito shutout in the preceding game. I still believe in Timmy :unsure:

He's pitched his way out of similar problems before (Aug 2010). His first start was due to a bad inning and a half, he looked solid in-between those. Last night was just the Cosmos overreacting to the Zito shutout in the preceding game. I still believe in Timmy :unsure:
I hope he corrects himself like he did in that ugly August, if I had him anywhere I'd hold and not jump ship. If he doesn't have a great start in the next outing or two but the velo comes back I'd buy.

i really wanna trade luebke. I hope he has a good outing soon. He'll be lucky to get 10 wins
I'm not looking to trade yet, but I do wonder if the rest of the league has caught up to him. If so and he doesn't adjust he becomes a west coast only guy for me unfortunately.

i really wanna trade luebke. I hope he has a good outing soon. He'll be lucky to get 10 wins
I'm not looking to trade yet, but I do wonder if the rest of the league has caught up to him. If so and he doesn't adjust he becomes a west coast only guy for me unfortunately.
I think a lot of people projecting a breakout were forgetting that Luebke was a 26 year old rookie who pitched a quarter of 2011 innings in relief. I think he'll rebound and be usable as a spot starter at home but he's always been a high regression risk from last year's results.

Cespedes - Sell High?
I'm buying both. I've got other pitchers for the wins - Luebke should help everywhere else. Especially the k's. It seems folks are eager to dump Cespedes. I'm buying if I can get him cheap enough.

:homer:
:yes: But I'm not convinced he's going to crash as much as folks think. He's obviously not going to keep up the home run rate. But he's improved a lot since his spring debut. I don't know if he'll continue to make improvements but I'd like to find out with him on my roster. I may be a homer but I'm not that stupid. I don't have any A's on my roster. I'll stream Milone/Parker/Colon or maybe a bat as needed but have a limited interest in rostering others. But Cespedes? Very interested in seeing if he can continue to make strides. We know he has talent - after all, you saw the youtube video. ;)

Cespedes - Sell High?
I'm buying both. I've got other pitchers for the wins - Luebke should help everywhere else. Especially the k's. It seems folks are eager to dump Cespedes. I'm buying if I can get him cheap enough.
Hard to rack up K's when you can only last 4 or 5 innings due to control issues

I think a lot of people projecting a breakout were forgetting that Luebke was a 26 year old rookie who pitched a quarter of 2011 innings in relief. I think he'll rebound and be usable as a spot starter at home but he's always been a high regression risk from last year's results.
I didn't get him in any of my redrafts because people saw that potential, I didn't, had him in that 40-50 range in which I got Sale, Minor, Floyd, and McCarthy in most of my leagues. I was expecting a little better than this though. About 6 IP's/gm, K/IP, more walks, low wins, but still plus ratios and unlike other Padres pitchers you can start him all of the time and not just 60% of the time. Not looking forward to trying to find those 50 IP's I'd lose with Leubke in guys like Homer and Capuano who I only drafted as insurance but with Baker gone they're looking like guys I'll have to use. Oof.

Why not...If I was a Josh Johnson owner I'd be afraid.Add Lincecum to that list.
I haven't watched Johnson pitch this year. Is this start an anomaly or is he really in trouble?
I only saw updates on MLB tonight, but it seemed like the majority of the basehits were given up on his fastball. Low 90s and flat.
Yep, he's not trusting his breaking stuff even though the heat isn't getting guys out. Probably worried about injury again. He's a hold, but it doesn't look good, just don't think sellers can get enough for him right now.

Cespedes - Sell High?
Hard to rack up K's when you can only last 4 or 5 innings due to control issues
Depends on the league. If there's an innings limit, it's essentially a game of K/9 rates. They guy tossing 5 IP with 4 or 5 Ks is helping alot more than the guy going 8 with 5 or 6 Ks. Not that the 5 IP starter with control issues doesn't come with a host of other problems, but a guy that gets a lot of K's without eating up a lot of innings can certainly help the cause of chasing K's in an IP limit league.

:homer:

Bautista's timing looks to be coming back around, won't match last two seasons but he'll still put up a big OBP and the HR's may start to come in bunches here soon. Maybe some owners have soured on him?

Time to deal Hamilton for an uberstud IMO. With his stats so far this year, you're probably doing great on offense if you've got him. No reason to play the lottery on him playing out the season for once. Swap him for a Pujols/Miggy/Votto type IMO and get off the roller coaster high. I think with his numbers and hype surrounding the 4 hrs, you can fetch nearly anybody right now.

This is also a great time to deal pitching for hitting if you need it. Your pitcher stats will never look better than they do right now.

:homer:Bautista's timing looks to be coming back around, won't match last two seasons but he'll still put up a big OBP and the HR's may start to come in bunches here soon. Maybe some owners have soured on him?
I just offered JUP for Bautista & Haren in my keeper league :unsure:

'shadyridr said:
Im seeing what I can get for jup
How is he a sell high?
Trying to sell before his value plummets any further
I'm trying to get him in my league. Guy turned down McCutchen and ARod for him.
best Ive been offered so far is Haren & Beltran. Tempting
Hmmmm, I'm tinkering around with offering up Adam Jones and a pitcher(Samardzija/Dempster)for himThen I see what Jones has done so far......and start to think I'm offering too much

Tommy Hanson by the end of the month could be a good buy low:

Check out his upcoming May schedule

@STL

@TB

@CIN

STL

June as of now he is in line for inter league matchups with TOR, BAL, and @NYY.

Matt Moore? Talent is there, I think he figures it out.
As an owner, I would be too scared of buyers remorse to trade him. But if it was good enough, I would trade him. He is really pissing me off. Much like the rest of my pitching staff (Lester, Gallardo till yesterday, Scherzer, Romero, Garcia, and Masterson).

Users who are viewing this thread