Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

*** OFFICIAL Arizona Cardinals Thread ***

Hopefully it picks up here, Cards might be the best team in the league.

Cards heading for a second year of serious playoff contention, lots of weapons, a favorable "rb controversy" and this 4-year old thread is on page 4.

Is there a less represented fanbase on the fbg forums?

Cards heading for a second year of serious playoff contention, lots of weapons, a favorable "rb controversy" and this 4-year old thread is on page 4.

Is there a less represented fanbase on the fbg forums?

The AZ Cards team forum is the place to be...

Really nice there are some relevant AZ players with respect to fantasy...been a long time (Warner/Fitz/Boldin) since AZ have had an impact on weekly fantasy scores.

Being an AZ homer has generally killed me in fantasy :angry: This year its finally paying off..

Cards sign Dwight Freeney. Really solid addition for what they'll ask him to do. They really need help in the pass rush dept. Will have to hope he can help near the same way John Abraham did a couple years ago.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Love the Chandler Jones deal. Get one of the league's best pass rushers in his prime for a replaceable guard/center that's shown nothing to be average/below that can't stay on the field and a late 2nd. Pass rusher is in much much much higher demand than a guard. Pass rushing was the #1 (and probably #2) needs for the team. 

The Markus Golden pick was horrific in Round 2 last year. He's a late round/UDFA talent. Not sure what they saw here. Literally I have no idea what they saw to make them think he's a Round 2 talent. He was an old player entering the league that has a complete lack of athletic gifts needed to be effective at the NFL level. Particularly as an OLB in their system. Forget he was a bad pick for the Cards. Thought he was one of the worst picks in the NFL draft period where he was selected.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Not sure if his availability was related to the incident two months ago before the Super Bowl?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/01/13/source-chandler-jones-did-not-overdose/7LW0qko2kU0OphXTTmgtSO/story.html

His brother, former UFC champ Jon "Bones" Jones, has had multiple incidents (tested positive for cocaine, later hit and run led to stripped title).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/ufc-jon-bones-jones-hit-and-run/

He is easily one of the top young DE pass rushers in the NFL, so that could lead to some complicated extension negotiations. Based purely and strictly on talent (if not for the potential character/off field red flags), he would be more coveted than Olivier Vernon, who just fetched one of the most lucrative contracts for a DE in league history.

http://mmqb.si.com/2016/03/10/olivier-vernon-new-york-giants-nfl-free-agency-blockbuster-contract  

If Jones has his head right, this makes ARI more dangerous (potentially much more), lack of pass rush has been one of the few chronic Achilles heels for the franchise, and could be the kind of move that puts them over the top - the kind that is scary as a Rams fan. :) As noted, it isn't like Cooper was helping, and that second will be nearly a third due to how well ARI did in 2015.  

I think this is a very nice move for you guys given your current window of opportunity.  There is a very real possibility Jones is only with you one year, but I think this is a good move even if that happens. 

I would be a little upset as a Pats fan, considering they have a similar window of opportunity based on Brady's age.

Totally agree. I dig the move.

:thumbup: Get a top pass rusher + upgrade big at guard. Filled 2 biggest positional needs in 2 days.

Cardinals signed OG Evan Mathis, formerly of the Broncos, to a one-year, $6 million contract.

After winning the Super Bowl with the Broncos last month, Mathis was contemplating retirement at 34 years old. Even at his advanced age, Mathis is still playing at a very high level. He's been Pro Football Focus' No. 1 overall run-blocking guard four of the past five seasons and is coming off one of those years. It's unclear if Mathis or incumbent LG Mike Iupati will kick to right guard.
Related: Broncos

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Are there no Cardinals fans on this board, or are you guys geeking out about this Amazon series on your own message board somewhere?

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Are there no Cardinals fans on this board, or are you guys geeking out about this Amazon series on your own message board somewhere?

I'm here, but out of town and not watching the series yet. Can't wait to see it.

Talk about a guy the Cards have gotten absolutely nothing from since making a 2nd round pick 3 years ago....

Cardinals placed TE Troy Niklas on injured reserve with a wrist injury, ending his season.
Sep 27 - 5:24 PM
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Time to consider sucking for Darnold, Rosen or Josh Allen. 

Without DJ, they won't have to try. It will come naturally enough.  

• Like 1

Cards fans, what the deal with JJ Nelson?

I see that his stats are pretty good through the 1st 2 weeks. 

Is he getting playing time and targets because of an injury to another WR?

No John Brown, No DJ...lots of targets up in the air and the Cards will have to pass to win this year.  John Brown just feels like he is going to be out for awhile (have nothing to back that up).

Love me JJ, but he sure is a twig.  I think he sustains the targets. 

Palmer has not looked good this year.  Some poor passes & decisions.  IMO

Excited about this year...not due to expectations of playoffs, but just the fact we finally have a potential QB to helm the team into the future.  

Washington should be tough tomorrow and a good test.  Hopefully Fitz has a fruitful last season...he is still the only good WR on the team.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, loonzilla said:

Excited about this year...not due to expectations of playoffs, but just the fact we finally have a potential QB to helm the team into the future.  

Washington should be tough tomorrow and a good test.  Hopefully Fitz has a fruitful last season...he is still the only good WR on the team.  

Agreed. I’m just not sure why so many are so down on the cards this year. I’m excited about the year.

Cant wait for tailgating and foot ball again!

• Like 1

I think Vegas has them at 5 wins; I would definitely take the over. Defense also looks like it could have some spark this year.  Patrick Peterson playing zone makes me smile (interceptions, here they come). 

Obviously not a lot of Cardinal fans here.   My observations:

play calling was horrible.  1st half I don't remember a pass being completed over 5 yards & maybe one pass attempt over that.  pathetic & predictable.

ONLY based on one game I wonder if we made the right hire in coaches.  A defensive head coach & McCoy as OC, who when he didn't have P. Manning or P. Rivers underwhelmed. 

Going to be a long season.

How concerned should DJ owners be? Bad play calling and game script, clearly...but how was the line blocking? Does Bradford scare anyone? Will Rosen be any better?

TIA

1 minute ago, sped1103 said:

How concerned should DJ owners be? Bad play calling and game script, clearly...but how was the line blocking? Does Bradford scare anyone? Will Rosen be any better?

TIA

They want to run the offense through DJ but defenses know that also.   He will get a ton of action but TDs will be sorely lacking.  Line looked okay considering Wash had 11(exaggeration but close) in the box.

2 hours ago, irishidiot said:

They want to run the offense through DJ but defenses know that also.   He will get a ton of action but TDs will be sorely lacking.  Line looked okay considering Wash had 11(exaggeration but close) in the box.

I hear you. Thanks. Not getting easier next week against LAR.

2 hours ago, irishidiot said:

play calling was horrible.  1st half I don't remember a pass being completed over 5 yards & maybe one pass attempt over that.  pathetic & predictable.

ONLY based on one game I wonder if we made the right hire in coaches.  A defensive head coach & McCoy as OC, who when he didn't have P. Manning or P. Rivers underwhelmed. 

I watched the game (am a Redskins fan) and I agree the play calling was miserable from the Ariz viewpoint.  In particular, yes they go down early but if felt like they completely abandoned the run game much earlier than they should have.  Johnson is your best player and can gain yards in chunks.   Early in the game he had a few carries of 10 yards but once Redskins scored a few, I felt like Wilks got scared and called many more passes than he needed to.  I'd rather put the ball in his hands more than just putting it all on Bradford's shoulders.  I don't think the whole year has to be bad but I think they need to call plays like they understand DJ is there best player. If folks are stacking the box, maybe try getting it to him in space via screens or something, I don't know.  Just my observation but I could be wrong.

What a dumpster fire...

didnt  think they could be worse than last year, but I was wrong

Edited by Rove!

On 9/10/2018 at 9:03 AM, irishidiot said:

Same thoughts as before.  See previous.  

Playcalling is a major issue, especially in regards to David Johnson, but man, Josh Rosen should be starting right now. Bradford looks done, he has the mobility of a bookshelf right now. Rosen can't possibly be worse, hell, I would only be slightly worse. 

There is still a lot of talent on this team, so I think its premature to bury them for this year, but these 1st 2 weeks have gone about as poorly as possible.

16 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

How much did they spend on Bradford & Glennon?

a bunch of money for Bradford.  I liked the signing but play calling has been horrible & OLine has sucked.

Bradford blows. Should be a backup at best. Captain check down. Not sure who is worse, him, Tyrod Taylor or Alex Smith.

What’s the deal with Petrick Peterson this season?  Is he exclusively playing zone, which allows opposing team’s #1 WRs to  eat when they play Arizona BC he’s not shadowing them?