What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philosophy in 10 team Dynasty leagues (1 Viewer)

Fantasyfollow1

Footballguy
I am battling this idea myself right now, so I thought I would throw this out and see what I got back. In a 10 team league do you look to use depth to acquire the current "studs", or do you like to hang onto your depth hoping that some of your guys will be the next studs (thus not having to pay the high price it usually takes to acquire "studs")? I have been thinking about trying to acquire say R. Rice, Foster, J. Graham, etc. However the turnover as to who is at "the top", particularly at RB is so high, I don't know if this is a wise move. What are peoples strategies in this regard?

10 team dynasty should be dominated by the team with the most elite players, just like a 12 teamer. Depth is good, but depth in dynasty is actually easy to get if you're willing to let old dukers like Turner and Wayne be your depth rather than up and comers.

10 team dynasty should be dominated by the team with the most elite players, just like a 12 teamer. Depth is good, but depth in dynasty is actually easy to get if you're willing to let old dukers like Turner and Wayne be your depth rather than up and comers.
Does this opinion change due to position ie: I am more concerned about sending say 3 good pieces (ie: Adrian Peterson/Lynch/M. Austin for R. Rice) for an elite RB due to the turnover, than say an elite WR or even TE (due to longer shelf life at the receiving position and less turn over at the top). What are people's thoughts on this issue?

'Fantasyfollow1 said:
'Just Win Baby said:
Totally off topic, but I have never understood what this means. I see it in posts. Is it an insult?
In a previous version of the boards, all threads had a blue envelope next to them, and threads you had posted in had a black dot in the middle of the envelope. People would sometimes post just to mark the thread with a black dot to remind them to follow the discussion, because they were interested in its outcome. That emoticon was created so that people could use it to indicate that they didn't have anything to add, but were interested in following the discussion. The icon has since changed multiple times (it's currently a white note), but the emoticon remains.

'Fantasyfollow1 said:
I am battling this idea myself right now, so I thought I would throw this out and see what I got back. In a 10 team league do you look to use depth to acquire the current "studs", or do you like to hang onto your depth hoping that some of your guys will be the next studs (thus not having to pay the high price it usually takes to acquire "studs")? I have been thinking about trying to acquire say R. Rice, Foster, J. Graham, etc. However the turnover as to who is at "the top", particularly at RB is so high, I don't know if this is a wise move. What are peoples strategies in this regard?
First off, you're asking two different questions. Studs are better than depth - ironically, imho, ESPECIALLY in a dynasty league. What I mean by that is, in many dynasty leagues, your draft position is determined in some way by your record the previous season. If you have decent, but mediocre depth, you run the risk of always finishing in the middle of the pack. I'd prefer to facilate wildly from year to year. In two seasons (out of 7) I have had the 2nd pick as a result of horrible finishes - and I've won the title 3 times. I'd rather be great or (if injury strikes your studs) horrible and have high rookie draft picks.

Secondly, your question in regards to RB is a different question. I would certainly give up depth for studs - but not necessarily stud RBs. What I mean is that I wouldn't trade for RBs. There are two reasons for this:

1) RBs are still, in many FF leagues (and dynasty seemingly moreso) overvalued. Part of the reason I say this is exactly because of yourpoint about turn over at the position and the high rate of injury.

2) I prefer to draft RBs early, and trade for "real" WRs - I typically don't try to do the opposite (although I will draft WRs if I think they are legit). SSOG and others have long been proponents of the fact that mediocre, young WRs with upside are a dime a dozen - and that's true. But a true stud WR is worth almost anything you need to trade to land him. Especially if you play in leagues that have a "2RB, 3WR" starter requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoubleG,

I am very much in agreement with what you have said above. Personally I feel TE falls in line with the philosophy on WR's ie: you want to pay what it takes to get the elite? What is your take?

your depth is sitting on waivers. if you spend a little time paying attention to matchups and injuries, its not hard to replace a starter with quality numbers from the pool. for this reason, depth is already a given for every team and so you have that problem solved before you even draft. focus on studs and put depth way down on the priority list.

Well I am in a 25 roster spot non IDP league which doesn't leave a ton of depth on the wire. There are guys who surprise and emerge, but I wouldn't want to completely rely on the wire for depth.

Well I am in a 25 roster spot non IDP league which doesn't leave a ton of depth on the wire. There are guys who surprise and emerge, but I wouldn't want to completely rely on the wire for depth.
most 10 team leagues have shallow rosters. yours is an exception

DoubleG,

I am very much in agreement with what you have said above. Personally I feel TE falls in line with the philosophy on WR's ie: you want to pay what it takes to get the elite? What is your take?
TE, at least in the 10 teamer I play in, is a little bit different animal. In many leagues that have a TE required, owners only roster 1 TE (to keep space open for other positions)- occasionally 2. In the 10 teamer I play in we have to have at least 2 rostered. All that said, in my league and many others, there are often two types of TE on the WW at all times (especially in 10 teamers):1) Young guys with decent upside

2) Vets who can fill in nicely in case of injury

What I think that means is that you should always roster a stud TE if possible (obviosly) - but then his backup should come from group 1 above, as group 2 will always be there. Almost every TE that has turned into a stud or really good TE1 has been on the WW in my 10-teamer that's been in exsistence for 7+ years (Finley, F.Davis, Gronk, VD, A. Hernandez, etc.) - in large part because there are plenty to go around. Second, guys end up hanging on to names over numbers.

Some of the guys I mentioned that were on the WW were out there because people were reluctant to toss away guys like Shockey, Winslow, H. Miller, Shianco, etc. Frankly, that type of production (i.e. decent TE2) is almost always available on the WW in many 10 & 12 team leagues. As I said, in my 10 teamer we roster at least 2. I'd rather have 1 starter (hopefully a stud or close) and 1 young guy with decent upside.

But in my case, TEs almost never get drafted in the rookie drafts - except for in the late rounds (and never by me). There's usually too many good TE choices on the WW to waste a pick. Not necessarily at draft time (that's when everyone cuts the vets that are solid "injury fills") - but a few weeks into the season when the young guys aren't seeing huge production numbers and guys like Winslow, Miller, Sjiancoe, etc. put up consistant numbers - then owners get impatient and start cutting the upside guys for the guys putting up numbers.

Also, I like to scour the WW heading into the playoffs, as many owners (at least in leagues with tight rosters) cut "upside" for injury protection-type players going into the playoffs - especially if they actually have injuries. TE can be a gold mine at that time of the season.

But, I think many of us can always get TE off the WW. The only one I ever traded for was Gates before he blew up 8 years ago (right at the start of the '04 season) - and really that was more of multi-player inolving some RBs as well.

So in summary ( :) ) Don't trade for TEs - just pick them up off the WW. Don't draft them either. There are simply too many available on the WW throughout the season to waste a pick on. DO try to trade them away for late draft picks once they get into that "old, consistant TE2 - but not much cieling" area. I have traded Gates (for Bradshaw) and M. Lewis for a draft pick (and have Finley and F. Davis).

'Fantasyfollow1 said:
'Just Win Baby said:
Totally off topic, but I have never understood what this means. I see it in posts. Is it an insult?
In a previous version of the boards, all threads had a blue envelope next to them, and threads you had posted in had a black dot in the middle of the envelope. People would sometimes post just to mark the thread with a black dot to remind them to follow the discussion, because they were interested in its outcome. That emoticon was created so that people could use it to indicate that they didn't have anything to add, but were interested in following the discussion. The icon has since changed multiple times (it's currently a white note), but the emoticon remains.
Yes, I wanted to flag this thread to come back to when I had time.

1) RBs are still, in many FF leagues (and dynasty seemingly moreso) overvalued. Part of the reason I say this is exactly because of yourpoint about turn over at the position and the high rate of injury.

2) I prefer to draft RBs early, and trade for "real" WRs - I typically don't try to do the opposite (although I will draft WRs if I think they are legit). SSOG and others have long been proponents of the fact that mediocre, young WRs with upside are a dime a dozen - and that's true. But a true stud WR is worth almost anything you need to trade to land him. Especially if you play in leagues that have a "2RB, 3WR" starter requirement.
Agree RBs tend to be overvalued in dynasty. However, it is easier said than done to just plan to simply rely on drafting RBs early. If you have a good team, your first round pick is typically too late to draft a premium RB.

your depth is sitting on waivers. if you spend a little time paying attention to matchups and injuries, its not hard to replace a starter with quality numbers from the pool. for this reason, depth is already a given for every team and so you have that problem solved before you even draft. focus on studs and put depth way down on the priority list.
:goodposting:Agree, assuming roster sizes aren't too large. I play in a 10 team league with roster size of 20. There are always solid players on the waiver wire. And my league is a superflex, so QBs are hoarded a bit more than usual, meaning there are even more of the other positions available than you might expect.

Agree RBs tend to be overvalued in dynasty. However, it is easier said than done to just plan to simply rely on drafting RBs early. If you have a good team, your first round pick is typically too late to draft a premium RB.
True. But typically if you have a good team you typically already have good RBs. Honestly, while I would prefer studs at the RB position, in the 10 teamer I am referring to, the years I have won, it was with a relatively mediocre backfield and strength (studs) at WR, TE and QB. Most recently, it was the rookie season of Wells and Moreno paired with Cedric Benson and Mendy late in the season (I traded Shonn Greene & Anthony Gonzalez for him). Because we start 2 RBs and 3 WRs, WRs are somewhat undervalued, imho (in that specific league) - meaning everyone is busy trying to hoard RBs - and not paying enough attention to WRs. Some of that may be a function of the specific league - and the owners in it. In other words, if all your leagumates are trying to win with RBs, trade 'em your RBs for stud WRs - you can win that way too (presuming the scoring system doesn't too heavily value one position over the other).

But, as I said, in that league (and in others most likely) it's easier to occasionally draft a nice RB rather than over-pay in a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
a couple of quick takes (12 team dynasty owner)

Waivers work if you have the top or near top spot early season weeks to snag the usual one or two players that surprise. If you are continually a winner, by the time the waivers get down to you- their gone.

Trades work if you are superior in that area and some of the other owners are pigeons

Dynasty works best the slow method- excellent drafting

Users who are viewing this thread