What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE Backup QB to target in deep dynasty (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
Brady has a few years left most likely, but in deep dynasty leagues, who is his heir?

Hoyer looked solid when on the field. Mallett has the physical tools but had some character concerns coming out of college. Speculation was last year they would groom him and look to trade him in a year or 2.

Who do you like?

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean Hoyer?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12477/brian-hoyer

I think Mallett is least ready to see the field but has highest ceiling. Hoyer is ready but more of a Matt Cassell. Would likely perform well in the system with the players around him.

Hoyer is more of an immediate handcuff while he is NE backup QB...but I recall the situation in St Louis the year Warner got hurt. The #2 QB lasted one game and then Bulger emerged. Of course nothing was expected of Bulger either.

Hoyer seems to me to be the Brister, Kubiak, Garrett type. Happy to backup a HOF QB for as long as they will have him. But I could easily be wrong.

Mallett

maybe hoyer is cassel ...but ur franchise is going nowhere fast with them as ur franchise qb. i like flynn more than hoyer (latter who i think is a nice backup nfl qb)

Looks like Hoyer is a UFA at the end of the year.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/04/10/patriots_brian_hoyer_excited_to_return_to_team/

(Rotoworld) According to the Boston Globe, "word is" the Patriots are "very pleased" with backup QB Brian Hoyer's development, and believe he could be a starter.

Analysis: The Pats suggested as such when they tendered Hoyer, who was a restricted free agent, at the second-round level. He re-signed on March 23. Signed as an undrafted free agent in 2009, Hoyer has attempted all of 43 career passes, but put up solid preseason numbers. Still just 26, he's expected to draw interest as a starter when he becomes an unrestricted free agent next winter.

Hoyer will be next year's Flynn, we won't know about Mallett until probably the end of April 2013. Since Hoyer will be walking what the Pats do in the draft will tip their hand but probably not before then. I can keep Mallett stashed until just after next year's draft without counting against my roster so as long as the Pats don't make a move to upgrade backup QB I'll keep him. Guy was an idiot, but has immense ability.

I like and own Mallett. I figure he will be a starter in NE or somewhere else at some point. And I thinks he is talented and stayed out of the type of trouble people were concerned about on draft day.

Both have potential. Just from what I've seen Hoyer hands down. But Mallett has tons of potential. I often compare flynn and hoyer and mallet and locker.

Mallett put on a clinic at the combine and BB spent the highest pick on a QB since he's been in NE. His passing ability is unquestioned and if anyone is able to get Mallett to mature it's Belichick.

Both have potential. Just from what I've seen Hoyer hands down. But Mallett has tons of potential. I often compare flynn and hoyer and mallet and locker.
I guess locker and mallet can both throw a football? Mallet is a bledsoe clone with off field issues. Locker isn't a statue
Mallett 40 time: 5.37Tom Brady 40 time: 5.28
Drew Bledsoe 40 times: 4.7You don't really think 40 time has anything to do with pocket mobility, right?

The Pats love Hoyer and if contracts were not an issue than I believe he's the guy who would take over for Brady down the road...that being said this is probably his last year in New England and he will be somewhere else in 2013 where he has an opportunity to start...so as far as a short-term prospect is concerned Hoyer is your target because if Brady got hurt this year Hoyer will absolutely be the QB and if not he does have a chance to be a starter somewhere else in 2013...as for Mallet info on him has been limited...I heard Albert Breer on the radio right after the season and he was insinuating that Mallet didn't develop as much as the Pats had hoped in 2011...so right now you simply have to guess that he will be third string again this year and the main backup in 2012...yet you have to remember that Brady has always said he plans to play until he's 40...so if you take him at his word he's not going anywhere for a while...

Hoyer could very well follow the career arc of Matt Flynn. He might be a valuable commodity in bigger Dynasties and 2QB leagues. Mallet is not going to have much value under his current contract in New England. But he may have enormous value if he's able to get on the field in Foxboro or elsewhere via trade. If both were on the wire in a rookie FA/Draft I'd take Hoyer first and then Mallet.

I like them both as guys who could potentially have value.

I tend to think that they're guys who you trade when their value peaks as opposed to holding onto though. Both of them will end up getting over-hyped if it appears they are likely to get a shot at starting somewhere as I don't think either of them will be particularly good as a starter.

Mallet has an absolute cannon arm - very impressive throwing the ball. For a guy his size he seems to move pretty well in the pocket. IMO he is in the perfect situation to be groomed into a legitimate starter in this league. BB and Brady will be good mentors for him and I think he has much more upside in comparison to Hoyer.

So you guys are hoping for Matt Cassel part II here?

Odds are this is an unwise decision. We love the story of Brady and other backups that turned into something special, but most of them don't. There's a reason they are backups and the time NOT playing affects their game too much.

'Bri said:
So you guys are hoping for Matt Cassel part II here?Odds are this is an unwise decision. We love the story of Brady and other backups that turned into something special, but most of them don't. There's a reason they are backups and the time NOT playing affects their game too much.
This is why I'm not overly interested in Hoyer and am keeping Mallett stashed instead of pursuing a Hoyer type to replace him.

'Bri said:
So you guys are hoping for Matt Cassel part II here?Odds are this is an unwise decision. We love the story of Brady and other backups that turned into something special, but most of them don't. There's a reason they are backups and the time NOT playing affects their game too much.
This is why I'm not overly interested in Hoyer and am keeping Mallett stashed instead of pursuing a Hoyer type to replace him.
Brady is 35, an age where QB's typically decline and Belichick used the highest pick he ever has on a QB when he selected Mallett. Mallett has the natural talent than guys like Cassell and Hoyer lacked and will likely have three years learning behind Brady. I think his situation is much more similar to Aaron Rodgers than Cassell.

'Bri said:
Brady is 35, an age where QB's typically decline and Belichick used the highest pick he ever has on a QB when he selected Mallett. Mallett has the natural talent than guys like Cassell and Hoyer lacked and will likely have three years learning behind Brady. I think his situation is much more similar to Aaron Rodgers than Cassell.
I like Mallett and was sorry NE drafted him because right now he might be in a Jake Locker type of situation if he was taken by another team.I own Mallett in one league and I fear that Brady may hold on longer than many expect. Yes he is 35 and in theory, no one can defy father time - but viewing him on the field and in every interview I see of him he comes across as a very young 35 (which probably means nothing but people age at different rates and it would not shock me that he reaches his goal to play until he is 40). If Brady does not age out as expected, then Mallett could be a wasted roster space on your fantasy bench for 3+ years (which would be worthwhile if he turns out to be the next Rodgers, but not if he is the next Whitehurst). The alternative is that he is traded, but people's enthusiam for Matt Flynn cooled considerably after he signed with Seattle, perhaps Mallett's upside could be limited by his destination if he leaves NE.

'Bri said:
I like Mallett and was sorry NE drafted him because right now he might be in a Jake Locker type of situation if he was taken by another team.I own Mallett in one league and I fear that Brady may hold on longer than many expect. Yes he is 35 and in theory, no one can defy father time - but viewing him on the field and in every interview I see of him he comes across as a very young 35 (which probably means nothing but people age at different rates and it would not shock me that he reaches his goal to play until he is 40). If Brady does not age out as expected, then Mallett could be a wasted roster space on your fantasy bench for 3+ years (which would be worthwhile if he turns out to be the next Rodgers, but not if he is the next Whitehurst). The alternative is that he is traded, but people's enthusiam for Matt Flynn cooled considerably after he signed with Seattle, perhaps Mallett's upside could be limited by his destination if he leaves NE.
With the exception of the ACL injury Brady has been extremely healthy. However, no one can escape aging and it will catch up to him. Here's my thinking about what may happen:- Brady plays well through 2013 (age 36)- In 2014 Belichick sees some cracks in Brady's armor and think he's declining while Mallett (now 26) is ready to start- It's Brady's last year under contract and Belichick finds a team willing to pay a massive haul of draft picks for him.

'Bri said:
So you guys are hoping for Matt Cassel part II here?

Odds are this is an unwise decision. We love the story of Brady and other backups that turned into something special, but most of them don't. There's a reason they are backups and the time NOT playing affects their game too much.
I like Mallett and was sorry NE drafted him because right now he might be in a Jake Locker type of situation if he was taken by another team.I own Mallett in one league and I fear that Brady may hold on longer than many expect. Yes he is 35 and in theory, no one can defy father time - but viewing him on the field and in every interview I see of him he comes across as a very young 35 (which probably means nothing but people age at different rates and it would not shock me that he reaches his goal to play until he is 40).

If Brady does not age out as expected, then Mallett could be a wasted roster space on your fantasy bench for 3+ years (which would be worthwhile if he turns out to be the next Rodgers, but not if he is the next Whitehurst). The alternative is that he is traded, but people's enthusiam for Matt Flynn cooled considerably after he signed with Seattle, perhaps Mallett's upside could be limited by his destination if he leaves NE.
With the exception of the ACL injury Brady has been extremely healthy. However, no one can escape aging and it will catch up to him. Here's my thinking about what may happen:- Brady plays well through 2013 (age 36)

- In 2014 Belichick sees some cracks in Brady's armor and think he's declining while Mallett (now 26) is ready to start

- It's Brady's last year under contract and Belichick finds a team willing to pay a massive haul of draft picks for him.
Jerry Rice did much longer than expected. But was it because of his talent, his conditioning, or perhaps genetically he aged better than most at this position? Odds are you are right, but some people do resist aging better than others. Is Brady in that category? Probably not, but I don't think that one should categorically state that all bets are off when he reaches a certain age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything interesting developing here?

Patriots | Willing to listen to offers for backup QBsThursday, April 19, 2012 5:12 PMNew England Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio indicated the team would be willing to listen to offers from other team for QBs Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett.

Our View: Hoyer is set to become a free agent next year and the Patriots would like to get something for him before that time. They could possibly be looking for a deal similar to what they received for Matt Cassel. We feel a second-round pick would be adequate compensation for Hoyer.

Users who are viewing this thread