What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best STILL not cleared for contact (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
Jahvid Best (concussions) is expected to participate in the beginning of the Lions' offseason program Monday, but has yet to be cleared for contact.Best has been working out for several months, but has yet to receive final clearance to resume playing from Lions doctors. It's a bit concerning, as GM Martin Mayhew hinted in late February Best was close to being cleared. However, the expectation remains that he will be ready for training camp. He's as big an injury risk as they come in dynasty leagues.
:unsure: This has to be a major red flag, no?Does he have any value in a dynasty league anymore?

This is really sad, but I'm wondering if his not being cleared has more to do with him not participating in contract drills at this point, and thus, avoiding getting the medical check. I'm not sure how this works in the offseason though, so I may be completely off.

If he has actually been checked recently and is still not cleared, I really hope that he retires. I love watching the guy play and I think it would be sad waste of talent, but giving up your career too early is better than becoming a vegetable at 26.

All the Best to Best. Football is a great game. having your wits is more important. Smith and leshore are no sure things

Lions need Forte. iMO

Wonder who they will draft. Shame about Best but he needs to think about long term health. If he's still not cleared I don't know...

I dont see the bears dealing forte within the division, i think the lions will get a mid round rb. Its a shame about best, but he was a red flag coming out of cal, so this shouldnt b a huge suprise

Det absolutely has to address the RB position in the draft. They have several options, between trading out of the 1st or up in the 2nd, to get right in the sweet spot for landing the 2nd tier RBs. I think a lot will depend on who is available at 1.23 for them. They have to be hoping that one of the top Olinemen falls to that spot. They may also have a CB they really like. I think they could move back and still get a CB they are high on.

the first round pick and 2nd round pick that detroit spent on the position the past two year( traded up both times) are looking like collasal busts.

Just roll w Kevin Smith and a Mikel LeShoure after he is back from suspension.

To me a signing of Benson type and a late round pick makes sense

the first round pick and 2nd round pick that detroit spent on the position the past two year( traded up both times) are looking like collasal busts.
This is meaningless. It took them 3 tries to get the WR pick right. Det has a drastic need at RB and it very likely could pose as the best value in the draft. Det is a playoff team NOW. So the approach of just rolling the dice with scraps seems silly to me. Their lack of a running game was their downfall and if they want to make a serious playoff push they need to upgrade the position. It's one of the easiest positions in the NFL to upgrade, too. Benson isn't the answer.

the first round pick and 2nd round pick that detroit spent on the position the past two year( traded up both times) are looking like collasal busts.Just roll w Kevin Smith and a Mikel LeShoure after he is back from suspension.To me a signing of Benson type and a late round pick makes sense
Injuries do not equal busts in any way that I can fathom.Best certainly lived up to the part when on the field.

This is really sad, but I'm wondering if his not being cleared has more to do with him not participating in contract drills at this point, and thus, avoiding getting the medical check. I'm not sure how this works in the offseason though, so I may be completely off.If he has actually been checked recently and is still not cleared, I really hope that he retires. I love watching the guy play and I think it would be sad waste of talent, but giving up your career too early is better than becoming a vegetable at 26.
I wonder what not being cleared means.It sounds like he'll be cleared by the time training camp approaches. Does the fact that he hasn't been cleared yet -- if that is even news (i.e., if it is based on a recent check by a doctor) -- mean he's more likely to have a concussion in October? It sounds like he'll be cleared by TC, and I just wonder what the big deal is. There are no contact drills for months, anyway, so what is there to be cleared for?If I'm DET, I take things very slowly. No doubt they need to address RB in the draft but this isn't really "news" to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

This is really sad, but I'm wondering if his not being cleared has more to do with him not participating in contract drills at this point, and thus, avoiding getting the medical check. I'm not sure how this works in the offseason though, so I may be completely off.If he has actually been checked recently and is still not cleared, I really hope that he retires. I love watching the guy play and I think it would be sad waste of talent, but giving up your career too early is better than becoming a vegetable at 26.
I wonder what not being cleared means.It sounds like he'll be cleared by the time training camp approaches. Does the fact that he hasn't been cleared yet -- if that is even news (i.e., if it is based on a recent check by a doctor) -- mean he's more likely to have a concussion in October? It sounds like he'll be cleared by TC, and I just wonder what the big deal is. There are no contact drills for months, anyway, so what is there to be cleared for?If I'm DET, I take things very slowly. No doubt they need to address RB in the draft but this isn't really "news" to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
:goodposting: This isnt news, it's rotoworld bs.Here is what the Lions GM actually said
Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said last month that Best was “doing great” in his recovery and the team has “pretty big plans” for him this year. “We’re just waiting on final clearance with Jahvid,” Mayhew said. “It’s not like a hamstring where it’s a certain amount of time and a guy’s going to be ready. With the head you have to be careful and be smart. We’re not doing anything right now. There’s no need to rush to judgment on Jahvid’s situation. So we’re very optimistic. He’s doing very well. He feels great. He’s training right now and we’re looking forward to him being cleared.”

They can have all the big plans in the world, bottom line is this isnt his first concussion, and the one last year was very serious. Not to mention the nasty hit he took in college. Very electric when he plays, but my money says hed rather live a normal life then risk a catastrophic brain inury for football.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah.This is a concussion not during a game.During a game a doc administers some "on the field exams"(sideline but...) and it's a pretty quick guess of a diagnosis.I understand his followup in the offseason would have head CTs and plenty of far more in-depth tests.Since this isn't a normal every day person in society, but an athlete that plays for a team that has it's own doctor that is contractually obligated to come by and check Best(and anyone else) out...that's a little weird.The process is supposed to be that everyone is ready to go for an offseason activity(practice, minicamp etc.) It is odd he isn't cleared, but like you said why not just take things slowly with him?The thing that concerns me was something I read and IIRC Jene even spoke of on the audible once upon a time. Once you have a concussion, there's a window where getting another one is far more likely than a typical person that hasn't been concussed. IIRC There were degrees to the severity and these would correspond with how long they were stuck in this window of great concern. You went off on a tangent and simply threw out the month "October," but it made me wonder nonetheless exactly when Best's window is closed.There's no way Best hasn't been examined and the Lions don't know more than they are telling us. That concerns me. They have tons of money to spend on medical stuff, a doc around, and Best is a multi-million dollar investment they have had months to have examined. They know something.

They can have all the big plans in the world, bottom line is this isnt his first concussion, and the one last year was very serious. Not to mention the nasty hit he took in college. Very electric when he plays, but my money says hed rather live a normal life then risk a catastrophic brain inury for football.
I hated how he hit the hole when running as a rook. I was willing to give the guy time and all, but I was not as big a fan of his as others here. While in the minority, I wasn't alone and we had some discussions about this.He did run with more purpose and confidence in year two, but what about now?A RB almost has to be ignorant to injury unless he's in the open field. I'm going to be quite curious how he hits the holes in preseason

Even if Best keeps playing he so prone to concussions now that he won't play very long. RB is just too violent of a position for someone with concussion issues.

i hope that he comes back and is healthy and kicks butt and takes names maybe they can design a secret helmet htat will protect his head like the one that don big hat beebe wore when he was catching tds for green bay and winning a title and making the benzos i hope that best goes for it so that he can be like don and andrea clear horizon rison and win titles take that to the bank brohans

i hope that he comes back and is healthy and kicks butt and takes names maybe they can design a secret helmet htat will protect his head like the one that don big hat beebe wore when he was catching tds for green bay and winning a title and making the benzos i hope that best goes for it so that he can be like don and andrea clear horizon rison and win titles take that to the bank brohans
Wow

"When I was 17, it was a very good year..." - Sinatra

the first round pick and 2nd round pick that detroit spent on the position the past two year( traded up both times) are looking like collasal busts.Just roll w Kevin Smith and a Mikel LeShoure after he is back from suspension.To me a signing of Benson type and a late round pick makes sense
Injuries do not equal busts in any way that I can fathom.Best certainly lived up to the part when on the field.
He is not saying the players are busts; he is referring to the picks themselves...and they are thus far. I don't care if I pick a guy and he walks into a moving bus 10 minutes later. That "pick" was a bust, because the returns were nil.

Injuries do not equal busts in any way that I can fathom.

Best certainly lived up to the part when on the field.
3.7 YPC in two years :no:

He is not saying the players are busts; he is referring to the picks themselves...and they are thus far. I don't care if I pick a guy and he walks into a moving bus 10 minutes later. That "pick" was a bust, because the returns were nil.
exactly who cares why they are busts? a bust is a bust, injury, drugs, under performance, whatever.

Injuries do not equal busts in any way that I can fathom.

Best certainly lived up to the part when on the field.
3.7 YPC in two years :no:
He is looking at it from a fantasy perspective. Best was putting up some pretty good fantasy points when he was healthy, but this was from lots of targets/opportunity. As an actual NFL between the tackles RB, he failed in terms of YPC and reliability.If we are focusing on fantasy points for next year, I think that Best will be primarily used in a receiving role, reverses, etc. His role is going to be minimized from a do-it-alll RB to an outside the tackles speed guy. The days of Best putting up monster fantasy stats are over. IMO he will still have pretty good value in PPR, but would be selling if I were a Best owner in a non-PPR.

Kevin Smith is uber cheap right now. I think he is hungry to prove himself and is busting his butt in the weight room. LeShoure is smoking the chronic and working on his Achille's. Draft time will really tell. If they take a RB early, this group will be muddied. If they pass at RB in the first 5 rounds, the stars will seem to be aligning for Kevin Smith fantasy points.

Fair enough, just how you define it I guess.I've always thought of busts as whiffs on talent/maturity/character evaluations. I don't consider Best a bust on these counts, but I see your point.

'Touchdown There said:
Kevin Smith is uber cheap right now. I think he is hungry to prove himself and is busting his butt in the weight room. LeShoure is smoking the chronic and working on his Achille's. Draft time will really tell. If they take a RB early, this group will be muddied. If they pass at RB in the first 5 rounds, the stars will seem to be aligning for Kevin Smith fantasy points.
:goodposting: Fully agree with that, though I don't think that even a 4th or 5th rounder will do much to derail Kevin Smith this year, who when you think about it, has like 4 years so so of knowledge in that offense.

K Smith was fresh when he came in last season but he tore it up except for thanksgiving day

i think thats when he left the game early

'matuski said:
'Sweet Love said:
Fair enough, just how you define it I guess.I've always thought of busts as whiffs on talent/maturity/character evaluations. I don't consider Best a bust on these counts, but I see your point.
I think you're overlooking the pre-draft risk of his concussion history at Cal. If a player has a legit history of something, and that same thing recurs after being drafted early, it's a bust IMHO. I could see the point you're making if it was something completely unforeseeable. This isn't one of those.

This is meaningless. It took them 3 tries to get the WR pick right. Det has a drastic need at RB and it very likely could pose as the best value in the draft. Det is a playoff team NOW. So the approach of just rolling the dice with scraps seems silly to me. Their lack of a running game was their downfall and if they want to make a serious playoff push they need to upgrade the position. It's one of the easiest positions in the NFL to upgrade, too. Benson isn't the answer.
Did they even go after M. Bush?

Their Oline is the biggest problem, cant run block to save their lives. need upgrades at all positions and havent addressed that yet.Kevin SMith and leShoure back from suspension will be decent eough. Im guessing Best plays but in a very limited fashion, 10 touches or less a game

Their Oline is the biggest problem, cant run block to save their lives. need upgrades at all positions and havent addressed that yet.Kevin SMith and leShoure back from suspension will be decent eough. Im guessing Best plays but in a very limited fashion, 10 touches or less a game
This has my stamp of approval, they can't afford to go RB early.

'matuski said:
'Sweet Love said:

I think you're overlooking the pre-draft risk of his concussion history at Cal. If a player has a legit history of something, and that same thing recurs after being drafted early, it's a bust IMHO. I could see the point you're making if it was something completely unforeseeable. This isn't one of those.
Then you are saying that DeMarco Murray is a bust then? Injury knock on him in college, missed time in the pre-season with an injury and then ended up on IR.So, you would place the bust label on DeMarco and avoid him also?

'Shutout said:
'matuski said:

Then you are saying that DeMarco Murray is a bust then? Injury knock on him in college, missed time in the pre-season with an injury and then ended up on IR.So, you would place the bust label on DeMarco and avoid him also?
It is too soon to call Murray a bust regardless given the nature of his 2011 injury and likelihood it will not linger; that should go without saying. Also, Murray being drafted in the 3rd round was a more prudent risk vs. drafting Best in the 1st, so it would not be a bust on the same scale. Murray definitely got drafted with red flags though and if he proves unable to be relied upon as a primary RB over 2-3 seasons due to ongoing injuries, then why wouldn't you consider him a bust? I do look at general fragility risks differently from concussions though. Repetatively worsening concussions are not unforseeable at all, and JMHO are not chance occurences at that frequent contact position.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/22/jim-schwartz-jahvid-best-is-back-at-work-not-limited/

When Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew said last week that he hadn’t seen running back Jahvid Best during the team’s voluntary workouts, there were concerns raised that Best is still being held back by the concussions he suffered last season. But Lions coach Jim Schwartz says that’s not the case.

Instead, Schwartz told the Detroit Free Press today, Best is a full participant in workouts, and the only reason Mayhew hasn’t seen him is that all the Lions’ executives and coaches, except the strength and conditioning coaches, are focused completely on draft preparation.

“He’s doing the same things everybody else is doing,” Schwartz said of Best. “We’re not practicing, but the coaches and everybody else, we’ve [been] in draft meetings. Martin’s been in draft meetings the last week. So everybody made a big deal about, ‘Oh, he hadn’t seen him.’ Well, that’s because players are working out and everybody else is getting ready for the draft. But [best is] working.”

Best entered the NFL with concerns about his history of concussions, and he suffered two concussions last season. But the Lions have expressed cautious optimism that he’ll be good to go this year.

So he IS cleared for contact right now? I'd love to see Best return to the field, but just this week there was ANOTHER former NFL player to commmit suicide with strong links to head injuries while playing.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I don't see Best as being a guy to get the bulk of touches anymore.

Lions will draft a RB in the first couple rounds.

So he IS cleared for contact right now? I'd love to see Best return to the field, but just this week there was ANOTHER former NFL player to commmit suicide with strong links to head injuries while playing. I'm not sure how this will play out, but I don't see Best as being a guy to get the bulk of touches anymore. Lions will draft a RB in the first couple rounds.
Will they bother to clear him for contact until August?

Last I read, Best will be cleared for contact during training camp. What I can't stop thinking about is his concussion history and all the CTE that has been in the news recently.

I really think what the Lions and NFL do with Best this year will speak volumes about the future of head injuries and the NFL.

Last I read, Best will be cleared for contact during training camp. What I can't stop thinking about is his concussion history and all the CTE that has been in the news recently.

I really think what the Lions and NFL do with Best this year will speak volumes about the future of head injuries and the NFL.
Best to be cleared for contact in June
Lions running back Jahvid Best will be cleared for football contact in June, according to Lions general manager Martin Mayhew.

“He’s been doing everything in the offseason program and we expect he’ll be cleared sometime probably in June,” Mayhew told Mike O’Hara and Ken Brown on WJR Monday night. “We look forward to having him on the field.”

Best missed the last 11 games of the season (including the playoff game) after suffering his second concussion of the season Week 6 against the 49ers. Best has a history of concussions and the Lions have understandably been cautious with him through this process.

However, Best is expected to be a full participant in June’s mini-camp and for the start of training camp beginning at the end of July.

“Those doctors felt like it just made sense to do that in June,” Mayhew said. “It gives him the most time.

“We are not doing anything that involves any contact and he’s been cleared to do everything that we’re doing right now and he’ll be officially cleared for contact in June.”
Lions seem to be covering all their basis though as they are also talking to Ryan Grant and may sign him as soon as Monday, according to Grant's agent.

Last I read, Best will be cleared for contact during training camp. What I can't stop thinking about is his concussion history and all the CTE that has been in the news recently. I really think what the Lions and NFL do with Best this year will speak volumes about the future of head injuries and the NFL.
:goodposting: Jahvid's family is certainly involved and concerned at this point. Combine that with the press coverage on NFL concussions and you have to assume that Best will be treated with tender gloves. The slightest ding and he could miss half a season.

Best to be cleared for contact in June
Lions running back Jahvid Best will be cleared for football contact in June, according to Lions general manager Martin Mayhew.

“He’s been doing everything in the offseason program and we expect he’ll be cleared sometime probably in June,” Mayhew told Mike O’Hara and Ken Brown on WJR Monday night. “We look forward to having him on the field.”

Best missed the last 11 games of the season (including the playoff game) after suffering his second concussion of the season Week 6 against the 49ers. Best has a history of concussions and the Lions have understandably been cautious with him through this process.

However, Best is expected to be a full participant in June’s mini-camp and for the start of training camp beginning at the end of July.

“Those doctors felt like it just made sense to do that in June,” Mayhew said. “It gives him the most time.

“We are not doing anything that involves any contact and he’s been cleared to do everything that we’re doing right now and he’ll be officially cleared for contact in June.”
Lions seem to be covering all their basis though as they are also talking to Ryan Grant and may sign him as soon as Monday, according to Grant's agent.
Thats the word up here in WI, good chance Grant will be a lion

From what I read, he likely won't be cleared until June sometime. Either way, it's a major concern (fantasy-wise and NFL-wise). Heck, for his own safety, that should

be a huge concern. Another concussion could have drastic consequences. For the Lions, however, it might be time to look at teams that have extra RBs and see if they

can pry one away.

Users who are viewing this thread