What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

3 round mock draft (1 Viewer)

a_rackowski

Footballguy
Just something I like to do yearly for fun. The NFL draft is a puzzle I am fascinated with, so I like to give it my best shot and put it out there for everyone to see. Feel free to fire away with whatever you feel.

Round 1

1. Colts: Andrew Luck, quarterback, Stanford

Hands Down, the surest thing at QB in a long time.

2. Redskins: Robert Griffin, quarterback, Baylor.

This is the player the Redskins moved up for.

3. Vikings: Matt Kalil, tackle, USC.

Left tackle is Minnesota’s biggest need. Kalil improves both Peterson and Ponder. Some big pass rushers in the NFC North, LT is critical.

4. Dolphins via Trade: Ryan Tannehill QB, Texas A&M

I don’t know what the exact details would be here for the trade but id guess it would be something like Daniel Thomas and pick 1.8. The Browns are playing it perfect. Either they truly are interested in Tannehill, or they are going to make the Phins pay to move up. I am betting on the latter.

5. Bucs: Morris Claiborne, Corner Back, LSU.

If Claiborne is here, he is the pick for Tampa Bay. No Question about it.

6. Rams: Justin Blackmon, wide receiver, Oklahoma State.

Blackmon is the total package.

7. Jaguars: Michael Floyd, Wide Reciever, Notre Dame.

Ready to contribute. The Jaguars have the most boring team in the NFL. Time to start adding some exciting playmakers to the team.

8. Browns, Via Trade: Riley Reiff, Tackle, Iowa

The Browns are building in the trenches. Adding a RT, who some might consider the best in the draft would complete that great offensive line. Reiff and Joe Thomas moving into the future makes anyone at QB/RB a better option. Keep in mind that Daniel Thomas was also added in this trade.

9. Panthers: Dontari Poe, defensive tackle, Memphis.

Weak in the middle, Poe is a huge addition to the defensive line.

10. Bills: Quinton Coples, Defensive End, Carolina.

Mario Williams is a Stud. Mark Anderson is a backup type. Putting Coples on a Dline with Mario, Kyle Williams, Darius, Anderson rotating at DE sets the bar in the NFL.

11. Chiefs: Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina

Dispite paying for Routt, Gilmore is such a talent that would fit so well into the chiefs defense that I have a hard time seeing them pass on him.

12. Seahawks: Melvin Ingram, defensive end, South Carolina.

Hawks have needs at LB and pass rushing DE. Good Pass Rushers are harder to find so that is where this pick goes.

13. Cardinals: David Decastro, Offensive Guard.

Cards have invested a lot in the running game. Without any pigs to pave the road its all for nothing. Decastro Is the best at his position in years.

14. Cowboys: Courtney Upshaw, defensive end/LB, Alabama.

I see Dallas trying to add a dynamic pass rusher opposite Demarcus Ware.

15. Eagles: Fletcher Cox DT, Mississippi State

Cox is a guy that can rotate with Jenkins and Patterson and develop into a franchise type player quickly. Cox actually reminds me a lot of Cullen Jenkins but with more talent.

16. Jets: Trent Richardson RB, Alabama.

When the Jets added Tebow it said to me that they are not happy with their Running Game. If Richardson falls past the Bucs, it’s a real possibility that he falls to this point. Richardson, Tebow, and Greene would give the Jets perhaps the best run game in the NFL..

17. Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

Character matters in the NFL with the Hammer calling the shots. Id do my share of background checks. Kirkpatrick is just too talented to slip out of round 1.

18. Chargers: Nick Perry, defensive end, USC.

Chargers don’t have a ton of pressing needs, but a pass rusher off the edge would make them much better. I think Perry will be dominating.

19. Bears: Jonathan Martin*, OT, Stanford

Cutler right now is the most important piece to the franchise. They need to protect him first and foremost.

20. Titans: Peter Konz, Center, Wisconsin

Johnson and Ringers production was down last year. Amano is the worst in the league. Drafting a franchise center who will grow with Locker is no small matter and he would get to pick the brain of Hutchenson every day. Future Star.

21. Bengals: Mark Barron SS, Alabama.

I think the Bengals have a big need at Safety. Barron could be a stud if he can stay healthy.

22. Browns: Coby Fleener TE, Stanford.

No question he is the elite TE in this draft. A great addition in both the run and passing games, it’s a no brainer (IMO).

23. Lions: Bobby Massie*, OT, Ole Miss

Going to push Gosder Cherilus right out of a job. Massie is what he is – a Right Tackle and a dominant one at that. Perhaps Cherilus has a future at Guard. Hes better than Peterman

24. Steelers: Mike Adams, tackle, Ohio State.

Not a huge fan of Adams, but the Steelers are.

25. Broncos: David Wilson*, RB, Virginia Tech

Total package at RB. Great 3 down player.

26. Texans: Luke Kuechly, linebacker, Boston College.

Lots of needs, after the Ryans departure, Kuechly would become the centerpiece of the Texans Defense.

27. Patriots: Zack Brown OLB, UNC

28. Packers: Harrison Smith S Notre Dame

Packers have HUGE safety concerns and they cost them a superbowl appearance last year. I don’t thnk he makes it past GB.

29. Ravens: Ronnell Lewis*, OLB, Oklahoma

Going to be a game changer, a lot like Suggs, can put a hand down or not and still get to the passer.

30. 49ers: Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinnati

Wolfe would operate as a 3-4 DE, similar to the Justin Smith mold.

31. Patriots: Kendall Reyes, 3-4 defensive end, UCONN.

Patriots seem to be thrown around a lot with Reyes name.

32. Giants: Whitney Mercilus*, DE/OLB, Illinois

No Way the Giants let him slip from Round 1.Pass rushers are their identity.

Round 2

1 (33) Rams Cordy Glenn, G/OT, Georgia

Glenn would start his career as a LG in St Louis.

2 (34) Colts - Stephen Hill*, WR, Georgia Tech

Luck gets his young target to work and develop with.

3 (35) Vikings – Kendall Wright, receiver, Baylor.

Vikings need another playmaker on Offense. Wright is that kind of guy and in my opinion would be a great compliment to Percy Harvin.

4 (36) Buccaneers – Janoris Jenkins CB

See above. That being said, the Bucs will happily add both Claiborne and Jenkins.

5 (37) Browns - Alshon Jeffery*, WR, South Carolina

In this mock the browns addressed RB via trade, TE, WR, and OT. Finally they have an offense that might be worth reporting on.

6 (38) Jaguars - Kelechi Osemele, G/OT, Iowa State

Throw him somewhere on the right side and Jacksonville is a better team because of it.

7 (39) Rams (Redskins) – Devon Still DT, Penn State

One of the Rams biggest needs is DT, and Still is only available because of the great depth at the position.

8 (40) Panthers Michael Brockers*, DT, LSU

Poe and Brockers revamp the Panthers defensive line.

9 (41) Bills - Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California – With the departure of Demetrius Bell, Buffalo needs to address OT position. Schwartz has been very impressive and should be rising up draft boards.

10 (42) Miami – Mohamed Sanu*, WR, Rutgers – Great route runner and was a one man wrecking crew at Rutgers. Talent should translate well to the NFL.

11 (43) Seahawks Dont’a Hightower ILB – Alabama – If he is still available, he is the pick

12 (44) Chiefs Nick Jean-Baptiste, NT, Baylor – The 3-4 needs a steady player in the middle. Nick Jean-Baptiste is very underrated and had he worked out at the combine would be rated higher than he currently is.

13 (45) Cowboys Philip Blake, C, Baylor – Cowboys need to address the center of the offensive line. Blake would come in as the starting center.

14 (46) Eagles Mychal Kendricks, OLB, California – Jamar Chaney might move back to OLB but he isn’t on the same level as Kendricks in terms of talent. Kendricks is a smaller backer but the Eagles would be a better team with him.

15 (47) Jets - Jerel Worthy DE – I think Worthy’s value is at 3-4 DE. A dominating force at times, if they can get it from him consistently, the Jets found a great player. Worthy truly reminds me of Albert Haynesworth.

16 (48) Patriots (from Oakland Raiders) Trumaine Johnson, FS, Montana – Patriots pass defense was very weak. Safety needs to be upgraded, and Johnson has the ability to get on the field right away as he develops. Talented but character issues could really hurt him.

17 (49) Chargers - Dwayne Allen*, TE, Clemson – Depth for Antonio Gates who is sure to miss a few games. With Gates healthy, He could be an unstoppable weapon

18 (50) Bears - Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin – Total Package at WR, outstanding Blocker, great hands, good 40 time and a team first guy who knows how to play in cold weather.

19 (51) Eagles (from Cardinals) - Amini Silatolu, G/T, Midwestern State – Raw player with the talent to develop into a franchise player.

20 (52) Titans - Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson – With Jason Jones leaving the Titans, Thompson can fill right in.

21 (53) Bengals Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa – McNutt will be a good NFL WR. Opposite AJ Green, he should have more than enough talent to get open and use his playmaking ability. I love this player for the Bengals.

22 (54) Lions - Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida – Gotta have corners in the NFC North.

23 (55) Falcons - Doug Martin, RB, Boise State – Turner is nearing the end of the line as an effective 200+ touch RB. Martin will be right there ready to take the torch from him, perhaps as soon as this season.

24 (56) Steelers - Lamar Miller*, RB, Miami - The Steelers need a playmaker in the Backfield, and if Mendenhall isn’t ready to go, Miller will be. Ideal size, and amazing speed, my opinion is that he can be a 3 down back in the NFL.

25 (57) Broncos - Billy Winn, DE/DT, Boise State – In other years Winn is a end of the first round talent.

26 (58) Texans - Rueben Randle*, WR, LSU – A great downfield blocker who should be able to get open opposite Andre Johnson, Randle is the guy they have needed for the last 2 years.

27 Saints (forfeited)

28 (59) Packers – Jered Crick DE, Nebraska – This is a position the Packers must address in the draft. Injury question marks but he would fit in well for the Packers.

29 (60) Ravens - Vontaze Burfict ILB, Arizona St – Ray Lewis would like this kid and take him under his wing. His game is similar to Lewis in a lot of ways. I don’t believ he has fallen as far as the experts say.

30 (61) 49ers - Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin – will come right in and start for Adam Snyder.

31 (62) Patriots - Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor – The ability to play both Center and guard is huge for the Patriots aging line.

32 (63) Giants - Tank Carder, ILB/OLB, TCU - Would fit well as an inside backer for the Giants.

ROUND 3

1. Indianapolis (2-14) - Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State – The Colts draft their QB of the future, and now have 2 bookends at LT and RT in Castonzo and Sanders. A Rookie QB has to be confident back there.

2. St. Louis (2-14) – Lavonte David OLB, Nebraska – Rams need to address OLB in this draft, and if David is available, he would be a great pick here.

3. Minnesota (3-13) - Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska – 3 reasons the Vikings have to address CB position = Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall.

4. Cleveland (4-12) - Marvin Jones, WR, California – Even with Jeffrey and Fleener added, the Browns cannot stop adding offensive playmakers. Jones is too bright of a talent to pass on here.

5. Tampa Bay (4-12) - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon – The lightning to LaGarrette Blounts Thunder. Should make a wonderful contrast and give Tampa the big play potential that they lack from the ground game.

6. Washington (5-11) – Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia – Always can use Corners. NFL Bloodlines

7. Jacksonville (5-11) - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State – Pure football player that will help the Jags win football games.

8. Buffalo (6-10) - Bobby Wagner, OLB/ILB, Utah State – Would start right out of the gate along with Shephard and Barnett.

9. Miami (6-10) - Jeff Allen, OT, Illinois – Marc Colombo has to go. Allen and Long make bookends for whomever the QB will be.

10. Miami - from Chicago via Carolina (6-10) - Brandon Brooks, OG Miami Ohio – The Dolphins offensive line will be complete now for years to come.

11. Kansas City (7-9) - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State – At some point during the season Weeden will be starting for the Chiefs.

12. Seattle (7-9) - Orson Charles, TE, Georgia – Charles should be a very capable TE right out of the gate. NFL ready to block, and good solid speed and very good hands,

13. Houston - from Philadelphia (8-8) – Tony Bergstrom, G/T, Utah – Ideally a Guard with an outside chance at RT. Either way he fits on that line his rookie season.

14. New York Jets (8-8) - Chris Givens*, WR, Wake Forest – I think the Jets have to come away with another weapon for the passing game. Burress is lucky to have a job and Chaz Schilens is will do a few things to excite but cannot be counted on.

15. Oakland (8-8)

16. San Diego (8-8) - Andre Branch, DE, Clemson – In a draft so deep in LB, someone has to slip. I predict it will be Branch, and if he is available, even though they drafted Nick Perry in round one, Branch would be a welcome addition in round 3

17. Chicago (8-8) - Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech – Its safe to say that if you play in the NFC North, its always safe to add a CB in the first 3 rounds.

18. Arizona (8-8) Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State – another big target for Kolb to throw to, Quick would be a nice addition opposite Fitzgerald.

19. Dallas (8-8) – Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina – Jerry Jones goes with a smaller school prospect who was always around the ball

20. Tennessee (9-7) - Brandon Washington*, G, Miami – Tennessee needed to add another OG to the line and Washington is going to be a huge help to the small holes Chris Johnson had in 2011.

21. Cincinnati* (9-7) - Bernard Pierce*, RB, Temple – Pierce could turn into a 3 down back in the NFL. Ideal size and a solid combine showing should put him in the running for Cincinatti.

22. Atlanta* (10-6) – James Brown, OT, Troy – I don’t think Brown is ready to start at Tackle out of the gate but by midseason we might start to see more and more of him with an eventual starting job.

23. Detroit* (10-6) – Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington – Many will say it doesn’t make sense, but the Lions love their big guys in the middle and Ta’amu size and low center of gravity will be a force in short yardage situations. The Lions are going to wear offensive lineman out.

24. Pittsburgh* (12-4) - Lucas Nix, G, Pittsburgh – Local flavor to offer more help to the Steelers offensive line.

25. Denver* (8-8) - Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State – When Manning finally does retire, Osweiler will be ready to take over.

26. Philadelphia - from Houston* (10-6) - missed this one - Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State - Eagles need another RB on this team.

27. New Orleans* (13-3) –Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn – The Saints will continue to protect the Franchise.

28. Green Bay* (15-1) - Tyrone Crawford, DL, Boise State – Another 3-4 DE to team with Crick, Pickett, and Raji.

29. Baltimore* (12-4) - Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State

30. San Francisco* (13-3) - Brandon Taylor, S, LSU – SF has the ability to go with the best defensive player available here at this point in the draft.

31. New England* (13-3) - Brandon Boykin, CB/KR/PR, Georgia -

32. New York Giants* (9-7) - Chris Polk*, RB, Washington – I know the Giants will draft a RB in the top 3 rounds. Polk is the type of player that could turn out to be the steal of the draft or barely hold on to a roster spot. Hes a gamble worth taking.

33. Oakland (compensatory) - Tommy Streeter*, WR, Miami – Al Davis is gone but not forgotten. Streeter is a phenomenal athlete that would be very hard to pass on at the end of the 3rd round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always appreciate the time and effort these take. Good read. However, not a fan of the Dallas selections.

Also...you have Blake going to Dallas and New England.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to do the mock

While I don’t think Whitney Mercilus will fall to the Giants I would be happy to see it happen

Justin Blackmon, Gordy Glenn and Devon Still.......yes please!!!!

I would doubt Miami would be interested in moving Daniel Thomas but maybe I am wrong

People having diferent ranking on players makes mocks interesting but some of these picks are just bad. Vontaze Burfict is the Maurice Clarett on this years draft. He will fall to the 4th round or beyond.

Pretty bad for the Bengals. I don't think they view Safety as a major need, so I don't see Barron. Especially if they have already gone DB at 17.

McNutt over guys like Randle in the 2nd is terrible.

I also think you have some guys way too high (basically all the guys from #27-31)and some guys falling to the 2nd who I think are pretty safely in the 1st (Glenn, Brockers, Hill).

I also echo the sentiments that Richardson isn't falling to 16. He'll be long gone by then.

People having diferent ranking on players makes mocks interesting but some of these picks are just bad. Vontaze Burfict is the Maurice Clarett on this years draft. He will fall to the 4th round or beyond.
Yeah, he has Burfict going ahead of Shea Mclellin and Lavonte David at LB. I don't like to nitpick on stuff in mocks, but this is a bit more than a nitpick.

Pretty bad for the Bengals. I don't think they view Safety as a major need, so I don't see Barron. Especially if they have already gone DB at 17.McNutt over guys like Randle in the 2nd is terrible. I also think you have some guys way too high (basically all the guys from #27-31)and some guys falling to the 2nd who I think are pretty safely in the 1st (Glenn, Brockers, Hill).I also echo the sentiments that Richardson isn't falling to 16. He'll be long gone by then.
Last year at this time, people would have been called stupid for mocking Amukamara outside the top 10-12, Ingram outside top 15, James Carpenter into the first round, or DaQuan Bowers into the mid-2nd round. Just saying.

Yeah, he has Burfict going ahead of Shea Mclellin and Lavonte David at LB. I don't like to nitpick on stuff in mocks, but this is a bit more than a nitpick.
Everything I hear says McClellin is going to go late first now and Burflict not even getting selected.

It would be fantastic if Kendall Wright was available to the Vikings at 2.03. I PVRed the combined coverage and re-watched some of it yesterday. IMO, Wright was outstanding in the WR drills.

I have to thank you for doing this mock otherwise I wouldn't have know who Derek Wolfe was. :unsure: Three round mock are difficult because I believe when a scout is undecided on a player he gives him a 3rd round grade. It seem to me like half the players in this draft class either have a 3rd grade or 2-4 range grade.

Confused by your running back analogy. Richardson is not falling to 16. David Wilson is a one trick pony speed guy, who is so athletic that he has loads of potential. Not a total package 3 down back. Doug Martin will be a late first early second rounder. And Chris Polk is not a high risk high reward guy. He is a safe pick, who won't be anything special.

Agree that Trent to Jets is far-fetched. Love the Osweiler to Denver pick in the 3rd. I don't see any scenerio where Michael Brocker slips to #40. He's a mid-first round talent. Great work, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread