What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (2 Viewers)

Maddenf

Footballguy
Is Amazon Prime worth it? I know the free shipping stuff is dependent on how often I order from there, but what about the quality of the instant video and free kindle books that you can borrow? Thanks

100% worth it imo. They occasionally run promotions for a free month if you are the frugal type.

I've had Prime for a couple of months and have yet to watch any shows or movies. The free shipping on anything is worth it to me though.

Big fan!

- Unlimited two day shipping and one day shipping is only $5 (which is a bargain as you could order many items for only $5).

- Amazon instant video is expanding every month. I can stream all the seasons of 24 at no additional cost. They added Glee, Sons of Anarchy, and Discovery channel recently.

- Kindle lending library allows you to borrow one free book a month. This alone can be a $10-$15 a month benefit as they have some great books you can borrow. This is a great perk as you read top kindle books free on the computer, smartphone, kindle, blackberry, iPad, etc... while syncing your last read page. So you are not tied down to one vendor and their devices, such as Apple, while having the free book perk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a free month for my new Kindle Fire. I've streamed a few episodes of Arrested Development (never watched it) and the quality on my Kindle Fire is excellent.

Disclaimer: I have a FIOS 35/35 connection so streaming for me may be better than others.

Big fan!- Unlimited two day shipping and one day shipping is only $5 (which is a bargain as you could order many items for only $5).- Amazon instant video is expanding every month. I can stream all the seasons of 24 at no additional cost. They added Glee, Sons of Anarchy, and Discovery channel recently. - Kindle lending library allows you to borrow one free book a month. This alone can be a $10-$15 a month benefit as they have some great books you can borrow. This is a great perk as you read top kindle books free on the computer, smartphone, kindle, blackberry, iPad, etc... while syncing your last read page. So you are not tied down to one vendor and their devices, such as Apple, while having the free book perk.
Last I checked the free book perk required a kindle device (not just an app on an iPhone/iPad).

Some of the best money I have ever spent. I occasionally watch free video, but I look at that as just a perk. It is fully worth it for the shipping. I order more things online if I don't pay for shipping. It is cheaper than if I bought in a B&M store and easier on top.

I got a free month trial with my Kindle and didn't keep it beyond that. Free shipping is cool, but there's free shipping on nearly everything anyway, and I don't mind waiting the extra week.

The streaming quality of the videos was impressive. But they didn't have enough stuff I was interested in.

Big fan!- Unlimited two day shipping and one day shipping is only $5 (which is a bargain as you could order many items for only $5).- Amazon instant video is expanding every month. I can stream all the seasons of 24 at no additional cost. They added Glee, Sons of Anarchy, and Discovery channel recently. - Kindle lending library allows you to borrow one free book a month. This alone can be a $10-$15 a month benefit as they have some great books you can borrow. This is a great perk as you read top kindle books free on the computer, smartphone, kindle, blackberry, iPad, etc... while syncing your last read page. So you are not tied down to one vendor and their devices, such as Apple, while having the free book perk.
Last I checked the free book perk required a kindle device (not just an app on an iPhone/iPad).
Yes of course, its the kindle free book per month. I just meant in general you have more options to read without being tied down to specific devices. I read Moneyball for example on my iPad, Blackberry, and Kindle.

Best money I spend . Tremendous value , $3.99 overnight shipping , free 2 day and for me about a 1//4 of our orders come next day instead of 2 for free.

Worth it until they start charging tax here :unsure:
That likely will be everywhere within a couple of years and could very well impact all dotcoms.Next day shipping is $5/per item on Prime, not $5 for the whole order. Still a good deal when you're overnighting a kayak for only $5 but a bit different than laid out above.

I split a Amazon Prime membership with my sister, so it works to $20/year but I don't get free video on demand or Kindle. That said, really like the free shipping and free bologna sandwiches every January.

The shipping alone is worth it for me. I probably place 75-100 orders a year from Amazon.
What I like is when I think of crap I need I just order it, instead of putting it on a list and trying to remember to go the Target, or Best Buy, or Harbor Freight, or Sears. The price is usually just as cheaper or cheaper, esp. when you factor in no tax. For example, when writing this I remembered I needed led candelabra bulbs. Tool me less than five min to go research all the brands, order three them and they will be on my doorstep Wed. No trip to Lowes required.

That likely will be everywhere within a couple of years and could very well impact all dotcoms.Next day shipping is $5/per item on Prime, not $5 for the whole order. Still a good deal when you're overnighting a kayak for only $5 but a bit different than laid out above.
I thought it was 3.99? Did it go up?

$4 or $5, still a great bargain. You're probably right though. You can barely ship a pencil these days for $4 and get it within a few days.Prime instant streaming is a big perk too as it works seamlessly in HD quality on my $60 bluray player.Overall, i'm convinced the prime price point is actually too low at this time.

It is 3.99, yes. "$3.99/item One-Day Shipping --get it tomorrow Tuesday, April 17" - from an item I just placed in my cart to check out.

I've had it free for two years (one as a student, one as a "mother") and I didn't hesitate to spring for this year. I haven't used the video/movie streaming other than watching 5 minutes of Super Troopers when I downloaded the app on my PS3, but I ship a ton of stuff. A lot of day to day items that I may have bought at a store in the past I just get shipped from Amazon. (dog food, some canned good, etc)

The only downside is the boatloads of cardboard I have to recycle.

Several years ago, I wanted to order something from Amazon, and they had a free trial for 30 days for Prime, so I signed up to get the free shipping on my item and fully intended to cancel Prime before the 30 days were up. Then I discovered a ton of things that I could buy from Amazon with the free shipping, so I've kept it. It's definitely worth it.

Some of the things I've purchased using Prime:

Filters for our refrigerator

Flea mediciine for our cat

Tubes for bicycle tires

Hubcap covers for my sons car (around $20 for a set of 4 with no shipping)

Video games, music CD's, DVD movies (Birthday & Christmas gifts)

Textbooks (also sold many back to Amazon & got credits to use to pay for stuff)

Car parts

etc etc

Is Amazon Prime worth it? I know the free shipping stuff is dependent on how often I order from there, but what about the quality of the instant video and free kindle books that you can borrow? Thanks
It's worth it to me because I buy enough things on Amazon that the savings on shipping has paid for my fee several times over.As a streaming service and kindle library alone, it's probably not worth it just because the selection is nowhere near what Netflix has to offer.But like I said, free shipping makes it a totally worthwhile service.

It's worth it to me because I buy enough things on Amazon that the savings on shipping has paid for my fee several times over.As a streaming service and kindle library alone, it's probably not worth it just because the selection is nowhere near what Netflix has to offer.But like I said, free shipping makes it a totally worthwhile service.
I'd agree with this, but I would also say the streaming service is growing by leaps and bounds, so who knows what it might be down the road. Or maybe I was just pumped to see Super Troopers.

I actually cancelled my Netflix based on the fact that most of the TV series I was watching on there I could get with my Prime account for free. So depending on what you watch, your mileage may vary.

I'd agree with this, but I would also say the streaming service is growing by leaps and bounds, so who knows what it might be down the road. Or maybe I was just pumped to see Super Troopers.
Amazon needs to improve their search engine to compete with Netflix in the streaming video area. It's really hard to find something to watch unless there's an exact match.

Amazon needs to improve their search engine to compete with Netflix in the streaming video area. It's really hard to find something to watch unless there's an exact match.
It's getting better but I agree. The collection is definitely better now too. I am actually using it now, the first 6 months they had nothing I liked

Completely worth it.

You can find anything and everything on Amazon, no sales tax (yet), and free shipping... Basically you are saving 15% every time you buy something vs. doing it at a local store and it just shows up at your door. If you also get the credit card you get 5% back on that. Now we're talking 20% total. Amazon is the ####.

I haven't used the streaming much. The free choices are pretty weak.

:lmao: so true. Aint that the truth. Upside is thier packaging is fantastic. Easy to open and never is anything busted upon arrival. Downside is we've had to get a 2nd recycling bin from the city. (no extra charge) :P

:lmao: so true. Aint that the truth. Upside is thier packaging is fantastic. Easy to open and never is anything busted upon arrival. Downside is we've had to get a 2nd recycling bin from the city. (no extra charge) :P
This spring I literally had a full pick-up truck load of collapsed boxes I brought to the city recycling thingy. :bag:

The shipping alone is worth it for me. I probably place 75-100 orders a year from Amazon.
What I like is when I think of crap I need I just order it, instead of putting it on a list and trying to remember to go the Target, or Best Buy, or Harbor Freight, or Sears. The price is usually just as cheaper or cheaper, esp. when you factor in no tax. For example, when writing this I remembered I needed led candelabra bulbs. Tool me less than five min to go research all the brands, order three them and they will be on my doorstep Wed. No trip to Lowes required.
Exactly. I love using the giftwrap feature for gifts too! $5.. type in the card. They wrap it nice for you and it's on their doorstep in 2 days, wrapped, and ready to go. :thumbup: When shopping in stores I'll use the iPhone app to scan the UPC of something. If tis much cheaper it's literally one single click to order it, bill it to my Visa, and have it shipped 2nd day to my house. One touch ordering is awesome.

One time I was going to Boston to visit friends and I realized I didn't have any clean socks of the type I wanted. I simply pulled my phone out of the pocket, few clicks and a package of socks were on the way to my freinds house. They were waiting on me when I arrived the next day. No need to go to the store last minute. :thumbup:

One more advantage with Amazon is the ability to read product reviews from people who considered or bought the same item you are considering buying.

I wanted to get my son a nice poker chip set for Christmas. There are a ton of them available on Amazon. I read a lot of the reviews before finally deciding on the one to get. The set arrived via Prime, weighed close to 50 lbs., and was perfect. He said it was his favorite Christmas gift in a long time.

Great stuff so far, thanks. Guess I need to look at Amazon more and see if I would buy more everyday stuff if I had free shipping.

Great stuff so far, thanks. Guess I need to look at Amazon more and see if I would buy more everyday stuff if I had free shipping.
I think all the same stuff that qualifies for free shipping on Prime also qualifies for free shipping using Super Saver shipping. The question is whether you want to bundle your purchases to make sure you always buy at least $25 of stuff at a time, and wait a week instead of a couple days to receive it.There's no question that Prime is more convenient. But for me, I don't think it's $80/yr more convenient.

I think all the same stuff that qualifies for free shipping on Prime also qualifies for free shipping using Super Saver shipping. The question is whether you want to bundle your purchases to make sure you always buy at least $25 of stuff at a time, and wait a week instead of a couple days to receive it.There's no question that Prime is more convenient. But for me, I don't think it's $80/yr more convenient.
I would most likely buy just as much stuff from Amazon without prime. After factoring in shipping costs it was worth it for me.I was a big Amazon user for a long time before bumping up to prime. After a year of Prime starting ton finally take advantage of Streaming

I bought 51 items on Amazon in 2011 including this: Lifetime 6405 8-by-10-Foot Outdoor Storage Shed with Window, Skylights, and Shelving

I paid ZERO for shipping except for 2 small things that were not on Amazon Prime.

It is worth it for the 2 day free shipping and also for the Lending Library which my wife loves. Have not used the streaming much because I have Netflix but the quality is as good as Netflix, just not as user friendly.

In 2012 I am slacking, so far only 11 items, including this laptop I am using to post this.

Users who are viewing this thread