What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (6 Viewers)

Ordered a TV thru Prime and picked 1-day shipping. Supposed to be here today, but Fedex says estimated delivery "N/A" and it doesn't show that it's even in transit - much less out for delivery.

Sent to my office, so I won't be able to get it over the weekend if it doesn't get here by 5 pm.

:rant:
This ended up being an absolute mess on Amazon's part. I had multiple rounds with CS via chat. Finally determined the package was never transmitted to FedEx from Amazon. Never given an explanation why, never was any change in the shipping status on Amazon or FedEx.

On Monday, Amazon said if I hadn't received by Tuesday, they would just cancel and renew the order for 1-day shipping. Extended my Prime membership, refunded 1-day shipping upcharge. Fine.

Nothing on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I chatted with CS and learned that the TV was no longer carried by Amazon, so they could not renew my order. That explains why the item was never transferred for shipping. So all they could do was issue a refund and give me a promotional discount to apply to a new purchase ($69).

Not a great transaction to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so what are we prioritizing now that HBO shows are on Prime? I've seen The Sopranos and The Wire. I'm leaning toward Oz, with Deadwood in the mix as well.

My Prime was up for renewal last week, at the new $99 price, and I cancelled prior to getting billed. First reason was, maybe they would try and retain me at a lower price instead of letting me cancel. Second, with so many things now being "add on" items, 90% of my orders were for $35 or more anyway. So I would get free shipping and since there's a big distribution centers near here, even super-saver shipping was getting to me in 2 days (and Prime usually in 1.) And I don't usually use their streaming.

Just went to make my first purchase since canceling and up popped an offer to sign back up for Prime at $49 :moneybag:
Nice, I'm going to have to set a reminder to cancel mine as well and go for the same thing. Worst case scenario, I just sign back up for it at the next purchase at the same price if they don't offer me the discount.

Still concerned about the streaming speed of any of these devices on my home wifi.

What speed do I need to be able to stream without it being a complete PIA?

Also, do you Roku-ish guys have an antennae for local?
Most people don't know this but 1080p only needs about 8 Mbps.

For internet services that use compression, 5 Mbps is fine.

If course there are probably other things using your WiFi, but if you've got like 15-20 Mbps going in your house it should work great.

Try speedtest.net from a device in your house over WiFi. If you get close to 10 Mbps you should be fine for any streaming service like Amazon, Netflix, etc

17seconds said:
Still concerned about the streaming speed of any of these devices on my home wifi.

If course there are probably other things using your WiFi, but if you've got like 15-20 Mbps going in your house it should work great.

Try speedtest.net from a device in your house over WiFi. If you get close to 10 Mbps you should be fine for any streaming service like Amazon, Netflix, etc
I posted this in a couple other threads, but I highly recommend the power line adapters. When I built my first house, I had a buddy that worked for BellSouth/Verizon and had access to the house (lived in an apt near it), so he and I wired every room with Ethernet, extra cable, etc. I wish I had done that again here, but 8 years ago WiFi was good enough for the laptops, etc. and I lived hours away so I decided to not spend a ton on Ethernet. It's been fine for the computers and iPhone/iPad devices, but for Prime Instant Video WiFi was choppy. I order, on Amazon of course, the Zyxel powerline adapters (200mbps) and they work fantastic, just like having an Ethernet cable. The Prime Instant Video is never choppy, ever. I bought a few more and hooked up every device I could find aside from the portable stuff. I have a router in one place with the Xbox and a Smart TV and the connections are really solid.

Anyway, long story about me, but I would put a powerline adapter on every smart TV/Roku device instead of WiFi. I don't care if Wireless N dual band is rated faster than the powerline adapter, the throughput isn't close in reality. It was a night and day difference as soon as I installed it.

17seconds said:

I posted this in a couple other threads, but I highly recommend the power line adapters. When I built my first house, I had a buddy that worked for BellSouth/Verizon and had access to the house (lived in an apt near it), so he and I wired every room with Ethernet, extra cable, etc. I wish I had done that again here, but 8 years ago WiFi was good enough for the laptops, etc. and I lived hours away so I decided to not spend a ton on Ethernet. It's been fine for the computers and iPhone/iPad devices, but for Prime Instant Video WiFi was choppy. I order, on Amazon of course, the Zyxel powerline adapters (200mbps) and they work fantastic, just like having an Ethernet cable. The Prime Instant Video is never choppy, ever. I bought a few more and hooked up every device I could find aside from the portable stuff. I have a router in one place with the Xbox and a Smart TV and the connections are really solid.

Anyway, long story about me, but I would put a powerline adapter on every smart TV/Roku device instead of WiFi. I don't care if Wireless N dual band is rated faster than the powerline adapter, the throughput isn't close in reality. It was a night and day difference as soon as I installed it.
I'm curious what type of house is it and how many circuits do you have? I thought one of the problems with power line adapters is that they are not able to work on or experience reduced effectiveness over multiple circuits.

Ned said:
NutterButter said:
IvanKaramazov said:
Okay, so what are we prioritizing now that HBO shows are on Prime? I've seen The Sopranos and The Wire. I'm leaning toward Oz, with Deadwood in the mix as well.
Six feet under
This.
Thanks. This wasn't even on my radar but I'll check it out tonight. I feel like I just got three years worth of stuff to watch overnight.

17seconds said:

I'm curious what type of house is it and how many circuits do you have? I thought one of the problems with power line adapters is that they are not able to work on or experience reduced effectiveness over multiple circuits.
Our issue for our choppiness was to get an upgraded modem. Once we did that, internet and wifi are super fast and smooth now. YMMV.

17seconds said:

I am not sure on circuits, but it is a pretty big house (close to 5k sq ft). It is only 8 years old, so relatively new wiring. Right now, I have 6 total setup, one at the router and 5 others around the house. I haven't ever had an issue and it definitely also keeps the WiFi dedicated to my laptop, our phones and the kids Apple stuff. The longest away is the one on the 3rd floor for the XBox and TV and they both work well. From my experience, it is pretty much like an Ethernet cable hookup, no choppiness or buffering, etc. For my prime videos, there is a few second start up and the movies/shows never have any issue start to finish. The rewind/FF works fine. I would highly recommend trying it.

Wtf is a power line adapter?
It is a pair of adapters that you plug in to electrical outlets and with the connection of an ethernet cable into each, allows for the transmission of data over electrical cables.

Here is an example.
So what, you plug one into an outlet near your router, and then plug an ethernet cable from the router into it, and then your house wiring carries the data throughout? Then you just plug an adapter in whatever room you want wired internet?

I did the same thing but with MoCA (ethernet over coax). It did give me a faster connection numbers to the Roku but didn't make much visible difference over WiFi. I didn't get buffering with either. Uncompressed 1080p content loads faster over the wire but that's about it. I'm telling you, if you get 8 Mbps over WiFi you should be fine for stuff like Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Instant Prime now having HBO is a game changer. Just started up Band of Brothers again. Perfect weekend for it.

Never got to see the Wire either. Heard that its the greatest TV drama ever. Excited to see.

Six feet under
This.
Thanks. This wasn't even on my radar but I'll check it out tonight. I feel like I just got three years worth of stuff to watch overnight.
Finished Season One just now, and I'm just not feeling it. It's more of a "relationship" show than what I'm looking for, although it's definitely a really good entry in the genre. I can see why this is recommended.

Six feet under
This.
Finished Season One just now, and I'm just not feeling it. It's more of a "relationship" show than what I'm looking for, although it's definitely a really good entry in the genre. I can see why this is recommended.
Oz is a lot more hardcore if that's your thing.I believe Prime also has Carnivale, which is fantastic .

I'm three episodes into Rubicon and I'm enjoying it.

Six feet under
This.
Oz is a lot more hardcore if that's your thing.I believe Prime also has Carnivale, which is fantastic .

If you're into a more brutal show/entertainment, you need to give Oz a few episodes.

I'm considering re-watching just because it's available on Prime, and it was that great of a show IMHO.

I recently watched Oz - could only watch through the 4th season - and was a bit disappointed. It is entertaining and the plot moves quickly, which is what kept me interested the first few seasons. Don't expect a realistic prison drama though.

The writing can be cheesy at times (almost as if the writers want to make everything obvious to the viewer) and plot developments are predictable. But I'm guessing if I watched it at the time it came out, I would have been much more impressed, as it comes up short in comparison to "smarter" shows that have since come out but I had already watched like The Wire.

I pegged my Prime subscription to not renew yesterday. Hopefully next time I go to buy something I'll get an offer to rejoin at a better price. I'll probably re-up anyway, just wanted to see if this tactic would work at all.

I pegged my Prime subscription to not renew yesterday. Hopefully next time I go to buy something I'll get an offer to rejoin at a better price. I'll probably re-up anyway, just wanted to see if this tactic would work at all.
I'd be quite shocked if that's the case.

Even at a $100, it still feels like they are in the "giving out crack tester" phase.

There are too many streaming music services. Some of these players aren't gonna make it. Amazon, Google, and now Apple (beats) will survive, but Pandora and Spotify will likely lose market share. All the other small services will probably eventually be wiped out.

There are too many streaming music services. Some of these players aren't gonna make it. Amazon, Google, and now Apple (beats) will survive, but Pandora and Spotify will likely lose market share. All the other small services will probably eventually be wiped out.
One million songs from Amazon isn't going to have me cancel with Slacker just yet, with their 13 million songs, but the seed is planted if Amazon grows the service.

Between this and the addition of HBO, I'm more than happy with the content they are giving for Prime users. Now if I can just remember to download the free book a month onto my Kindle.

Six feet under
This.

Rome is really good and starting rewatching it over the weekend.

I loved Carnivale but it is very confusing but I loved the first season. It got cancelled in the middle of season 2 so ending got wrapped up after season 2

One million songs from Amazon isn't going to have me cancel with Slacker just yet, with their 13 million songs, but the seed is planted if Amazon grows the service.

Between this and the addition of HBO, I'm more than happy with the content they are giving for Prime users. Now if I can just remember to download the free book a month onto my Kindle.
I started using Amazon Prime streaming and Netflix two years ago when I cut the cord. We were already Prime customers for the shipping benefit. We would have liked to just have one streaming service but Netflix had WAY more content than Amazon at the time, so we used both, and justified having Amazon as a second option because of the shipping.

Amazon has caught up a lot with Netflix in the past two years. We're thinking of dropping Netflix, but to be honest it's so damn cheap compared to cutting the cord and saving $100 a month. There was a sense of pride in saving $100 a month and continuing to enjoy TV just as much as before. Savng $10 a month doesn't have the same bite to me personally, but I suspect Netflix is going to lose customers as Amazon gets better and better.

Streaming music services will probably experience the same a couple years from now as Amazon continues to grow.

So how do you file a claim for something that wasn't delivered?

I went to the "File a Claim" form and the reasons are all grayed out except for something along the lines of "My product was defective". How can it be defective if it hasn't been delivered??

Help?
This is the 1st time I have ever heard of Amazon not delivering a product.
This happened to me last month. I just emailed customer service and they sent me out the product. No hassel, no questioning.

So how do you file a claim for something that wasn't delivered?

I went to the "File a Claim" form and the reasons are all grayed out except for something along the lines of "My product was defective". How can it be defective if it hasn't been delivered??

Help?
This is the 1st time I have ever heard of Amazon not delivering a product.
This happened to me last month. I just emailed customer service and they sent me out the product. No hassel, no questioning.
Don't forget

Amazon's Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery, where it says (in large print, ironically) that you may be eligible for a free one-month extension of Amazon Prime if your delivery date is not met. If Amazon is late with a package this holiday season -- or at any point during the year -- contact customer support and request an extension. If you have a free Prime trial, you can get one such extension, while paying Prime members can get up to 12 per year.

Wait what? Free book, how I have never heard of this with prime. Does this work if you don't have a kindle but use the kindle app?

Wait what? Free book, how I have never heard of this with prime. Does this work if you don't have a kindle but use the kindle app?
Never has for me when I tried. But it's been a while since I tried. Maybe they've changed their policy since I last tried.

Finally finishing up Eastbound and Down.

Honestly, it's not that good. It's got it's moments, but I think I mostly enjoy seeing some eastern NC scenery. Especially when they screw up and show palm trees in what's supposed to be Shelby.

It has to be on a Kindle. It's not the best selection, but there are sites that give you some good suggestions.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/24361.Best_Books_in_the_Kindle_Owner_s_Lending_Library

will prime music have an app?
It's the same app already in use if you have music in the Amazon Cloud (Amazon Cloud Player).
Legit alternative to Spotify in your opinion?
Not at this point
Yeah - I've actually been on the beta for this for about a month.

It's cool but IMO it doesn't have nearly the breadth of songs that spotify does nor does it have the ability to create a station - something I always enjoy to turn me on to music I may not be familiar with. That said, if you are not a Spotify pay subscriber, it's absolutely a nice perk to have on your phone for no money out of pocket.

IHeart radio even allows you to create a radio station. I forgot about tunein & iheart. There are a ton of players in this arena.

Users who are viewing this thread