What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (3 Viewers)

Bought two Roku's on Monday. On Tuesday I noticed the price went down $10 ea. Called to ask for a credit of $20 back. The woman said they couldn't do that, but she would contact TigerDirect to cancel the order, and then told me to reorder them and refuse shipment and I wouldn't incur any extra costs. I thought it was weird that they couldn't just credit me back, but ok.

I ordered the new ones. Got an email the next day telling me the first order was set for delivery on Thursday (They weren't coming Prime because it was a TigerDirect product, so no 2 day shipping but were supposed to be here next week.)

Thursday I get an email telling me the order is out for delivery. Wow, crazy fast, called the wife and told her to refuse them. 15 mins later i get another email telling me the second order is set for delivery the same day, yesterday (Thursday)

Call the wife again and tell her to only refuse one, and tell her the number of the one to keep. Of course no numbers match the order number. So she picks one, refuses the other. Luckily she picked the right one.

I was shocked that they were both shipped within 3 hours of each other and delivered within 4 days, when they weren't supposed to be delivered until next week.

Love Amazon

02:59 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): Hello ShaqAttaq, my name is Vinoth. I'm here to help you today.
03:00 AM PST ShaqAttaq: my prime membership is set to expire / renew on april 8. how can i renew/extend my membership at the $72 price?
03:01 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I've checked and see that your prime will be ended on April 08, 2015.
03:01 AM PST ShaqAttaq: i am aware of that. it will renew for $99.
03:01 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I'm sorry, I've confirmed that your account is not eligible for $72 Prime membership since you are already an active member. It is available only for those who subscribe for Prime for the first time on January 24, 2015.
03:02 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i cancel today and renew later today?
03:03 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I'm really sorry ShaqAttaq. This prime offer is only for the new user for the prime.
03:03 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i turn off "auto renew" aand i send a gift subscription to myself (purchased today for $72) to begin the day after i expire?
03:03 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): The new users can only able to get this benefits of the day.
03:04 AM PST ShaqAttaq: that is not very nice for your loyal existing customers
03:04 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I can understand your concern.
03:04 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can you do something about it?
03:05 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): We're not reducing the prime charge, we're only offering the prime in discounted charge for the new customers who ever activating on the January 24, 2015.
03:06 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): After January 24, 2015, the prime charge will be $99 for the new customers.
03:07 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i cancel my membership and re-buy today setting up a new account using a different email login?
03:07 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I can totally understand your concern, To help you in this case, I'll forward this issue to the concern team.
03:07 AM PST ShaqAttaq: what about my my most recent question?
03:09 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i cancel my membership and re-buy today setting up a new account using a different email login? i love prime, shop at amazon for nearly everything, and think that i deserve the promotion too.
03:09 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I can understand your concern.
03:10 AM PST ShaqAttaq: and...
03:11 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): You can try this.
03:12 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): You can try to cancel the prime and try to re- activate from the another account.
03:13 AM PST ShaqAttaq: if i can do that, then why can't you just let me extend today for $72?
it accomplishes the same thing, and doesn't put me through pointless irritation.
03:15 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. This prime offer will be applicable only for the new prime users.
03:16 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I can understand and I'll forward this issue to the concern team. they'll take care for your order.
03:16 AM PST ShaqAttaq: thank you for trying.

I really don't want to "lose" my account/purchase history by having to switch to a different login. it's not worth the $27. i am hoping that they take care of me.

I'm wondering if Prime is really worth it...?

I order a lot from Amazon, but since I moved to Toronto, I get my packages within 1-2 of ordering, EVERY TIME, even when it says it'll be a week or so.

For ex: just ordered a pair of sweet Sennheiser headphones... said would be delivered in about 10 days. Cool. I wasnt gonna be here anyways, I was in France. Order, and the next day I get a shipping confirmation, and the package arrives within 2 days of ordering.... Sits at the concierge desk until I get home.

I assume there is a warehouse in Toronto, and that's why things are so quick.... so if shipping for me is always lightening, is there any other reason for Prime?

Thanks.

Prime video. Prime music (which I haven't really taken advantage of). Occasionally there are prime deals. :shrug:

02:59 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): Hello ShaqAttaq, my name is Vinoth. I'm here to help you today.

03:00 AM PST ShaqAttaq: my prime membership is set to expire / renew on april 8. how can i renew/extend my membership at the $72 price?

03:01 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I've checked and see that your prime will be ended on April 08, 2015.

03:01 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I'm sorry, I've confirmed that your account is not eligible for $72 Prime membership since you are already an active member. It is available only for those who subscribe for Prime for the first time on January 24, 2015.

03:03 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I'm really sorry ShaqAttaq. This prime offer is only for the new user for the prime.

03:03 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i turn off "auto renew" aand i send a gift subscription to myself (purchased today for $72) to begin the day after i expire?

03:03 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): The new users can only able to get this benefits of the day.

03:05 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): We're not reducing the prime charge, we're only offering the prime in discounted charge for the new customers who ever activating on the January 24, 2015.

03:06 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): After January 24, 2015, the prime charge will be $99 for the new customers.

03:07 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i cancel my membership and re-buy today setting up a new account using a different email login?

03:07 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I can totally understand your concern, To help you in this case, I'll forward this issue to the concern team.

03:09 AM PST ShaqAttaq: can i cancel my membership and re-buy today setting up a new account using a different email login? i love prime, shop at amazon for nearly everything, and think that i deserve the promotion too.

03:12 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): You can try to cancel the prime and try to re- activate from the another account.

03:13 AM PST ShaqAttaq: if i can do that, then why can't you just let me extend today for $72?

it accomplishes the same thing, and doesn't put me through pointless irritation.

03:15 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. This prime offer will be applicable only for the new prime users.

03:16 AM PST Vinoth(Amazon): I can understand and I'll forward this issue to the concern team. they'll take care for your order.

This is the one business practice that Amazon uses once in awhile that rubs me the wrong way. Last year, they had a $50 off special on the Kindle Paperwhite. We had bought one for our son a few months earlier for Christmas, and my wife actually liked it (she is still very partial to physical books, though), so we decided to get another for her with the deal. Nope, only for new Kindle users, obviously as a way to get them into the whole Kindle world of purchasing books.

I wrote customer service, saying how I felt undervalued as a loyal customer and how that kind of business practice would cause me to look other ways more often for my future purchases. They ended up issuing a credit once my order went through to give me the $50 off.

Basically, while they are obviously effective, deals for new customers only are pretty lousy for customer loyalty.

I don't understand why they wouldn't allow a one day chance at extending your existing membership for a year. The guarantee of having you for another year at a reduced price seems like a good bet vs the chance of you staying on at full price, especially when you are feeling alienated.

This is the one business practice that Amazon uses once in awhile that rubs me the wrong way. Last year, they had a $50 off special on the Kindle Paperwhite. We had bought one for our son a few months earlier for Christmas, and my wife actually liked it (she is still very partial to physical books, though), so we decided to get another for her with the deal. Nope, only for new Kindle users, obviously as a way to get them into the whole Kindle world of purchasing books.

I wrote customer service, saying how I felt undervalued as a loyal customer and how that kind of business practice would cause me to look other ways more often for my future purchases. They ended up issuing a credit once my order went through to give me the $50 off.

Basically, while they are obviously effective, deals for new customers only are pretty lousy for customer loyalty.

I don't understand why they wouldn't allow a one day chance at extending your existing membership for a year. The guarantee of having you for another year at a reduced price seems like a good bet vs the chance of you staying on at full price, especially when you are feeling alienated.
It's not like this is unique to Amazon. Virtually every subscription service does the same thing. The idea being "we offer a service that we believe you will find worth your money, but we need to convince you to try it so you can see that".

It's not like this is unique to Amazon. Virtually every subscription service does the same thing. The idea being "we offer a service that we believe you will find worth your money, but we need to convince you to try it so you can see that".
Yeah, I didn't mean to accuse them of being the only one. I don't like it when Time Warner does it, either, and I especially despise SiriusXM's version of it.

I feel like the little kid in those commercials who isn't getting the treat while the new kid is. They pretty much nailed the feeling (but I don't know how successful the commercials were since I can't remember what they were for).

I order a lot from Amazon, but since I moved to Toronto, I get my packages within 1-2 of ordering, EVERY TIME, even when it says it'll be a week or so.

For ex: just ordered a pair of sweet Sennheiser headphones... said would be delivered in about 10 days. Cool. I wasnt gonna be here anyways, I was in France. Order, and the next day I get a shipping confirmation, and the package arrives within 2 days of ordering.... Sits at the concierge desk until I get home.

I assume there is a warehouse in Toronto, and that's why things are so quick.... so if shipping for me is always lightening, is there any other reason for Prime?

Thanks.
i just shipped something from nj to fla 12 pound shipping weight. I sent the cheap 3 day. Cost me 26 dollars

I thought about doing this but it's not worth the risk that I may lose everything I have in their cloud service with a day of account interruption. If you don't use their music or photo lockers, you're good to go with this method.
I'm not worried about losing any cloud stuff and could do it...but just renewed days ago. Would basically have to wait a year to use the gift certificate.

Ordered a microwave last night. Not only was it $40 off other sites because it was "used" (new but packaging damaged) but it's already out for delivery, will have it before 5 today. :thumbup:

Thanks.
not worth it for me in the least. I get two day shipping on everything for free and i always select the longest option. I must live close to their warehouse. And i just joined for a 30 day free sample to watch Orphan Black and just realized only season 1 is free. I have to pay $2 per episode for season 2. Whats the point? I wont be joining.

So... just to make sure I was correct with my above assumption...

I had ordered a tension shower rod on Amazon... Shipping was gonna be 7$, but free if I spent 5$ more... so I threw in a bag of beef jerky (lol)

So.... FREE shipping option, which id their slowest... put my order in a couple hours ago.... said it'd arrive Fri Feb 13

just got an email now that it's shipped and will be here tomorrow.

Basically, living in Toronto makes Prime 150% a waste of money... one which I would have gladly paid for, but even their worst shipping option gets the package here in one day.

Blessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had ordered a tension shower rod on Amazon... Shipping was gonna be 7$, but free if I spent 5$ more... so I threw in a bag of beef jerky (lol)

So.... FREE shipping option, which id their slowest... put my order in a couple hours ago.... said it'd arrive Fri Feb 13

Basically, living in Toronto makes Prime 150% a waste of money... one which I would have gladly paid for, but even their worst shipping option gets the package here in one day.

Blessed.
it really depends.I've order stuff that came from a California warehouse and I live in nj

Blessed.
it really depends.I've order stuff that came from a California warehouse and I live in nj
I thiiink amazon canada and usa are different. You guys have a much bigger selection. And all our stuff ships out of canada (the stuff sold and shipped BY amazon)

Gotcha. I'm like that with newegg. I order the cheapest shipping possible because most of the time it comes from the nj warehouse

Shipping was gonna be 7$, but free if I spent 5$ more...
Is this a Canadian thing, or just a typo? I've been seeing it all over the internet lately.
No typo.... shipping was free if I spent $25. The rod was on sale for 20... so I needed to spend 5$ more to get free shipping...
Sorry, I was referring to the punctuation rather than the content. I've seriously seen it written as 7$ more frequently than $7 lately. I'm wondering if it's a regional thing, a generational thing, or just an extremely common error.

Is this a Canadian thing, or just a typo? I've been seeing it all over the internet lately.
No typo.... shipping was free if I spent $25. The rod was on sale for 20... so I needed to spend 5$ more to get free shipping...
Sorry, I was referring to the punctuation rather than the content. I've seriously seen it written as 7$ more frequently than $7 lately. I'm wondering if it's a regional thing, a generational thing, or just an extremely common error.
want my completely honest answer? I ALWAYYYYYYYS put the $ sign first...

but when I wrote that, I was laying on my bed in the dark and couldnt remember/see where the dollar sign was (until the TV lit up)... so typed the number then found the dollar sign haha

:lmao: at how many times the CSR says "I can understand your concern". And and the very end... "I'll forward this issue to the concern team". The concern team? Is that like the Presidential Prayer Team, or what?

essentially I saved 2$ and got a free bag of jerky. super win
It was the "finding stuff to buy" that got me converted to Prime in the first place. Yeah, you saved $2 and got your jerky there. But if the rod was $15, would you have bought $10 of jerky to avoid the $7 shipping? Do you always spend $10 on jerky no matter where you're shopping? I found myself spending money on stuff I didn't really need - "jerky is great, I'll eat it eventually" - yeah but if you're buying stuff you would never have bought, what's the point? We get a lot of value from all those annoying $10-$15 dollar things you need around the house that you need quickly, but not immediately, so you don't need to make a run to a specific store.

It was the "finding stuff to buy" that got me converted to Prime in the first place. Yeah, you saved $2 and got your jerky there. But if the rod was $15, would you have bought $10 of jerky to avoid the $7 shipping? Do you always spend $10 on jerky no matter where you're shopping? I found myself spending money on stuff I didn't really need - "jerky is great, I'll eat it eventually" - yeah but if you're buying stuff you would never have bought, what's the point? We get a lot of value from all those annoying $10-$15 dollar things you need around the house that you need quickly, but not immediately, so you don't need to make a run to a specific store.
All case dependent. In this case, it was a no brainer. In other cases, I just pay for the shipping... and as I mentioned, the SLOWEST shipping option possible. Cuz apparently, slowest for me is 1 day

I've been largely disappointed by the TV/movie selections. There just isn't much there.
If it weren't for the HBO stuff, it would be total ####.
The movie selection is pretty weak but they have some great TV series that Netflix doesn't have.
I used it for the Marvel Movies and The Expendables - that's about it.
I think the studios and rights holders are generally striking a harder bargain now when it comes to streaming rights. Netflix is also affected by this. The recent additions to both Netflix and Amazon Prime have been underwhelming except for the original content.

All case dependent. In this case, it was a no brainer. In other cases, I just pay for the shipping... and as I mentioned, the SLOWEST shipping option possible. Cuz apparently, slowest for me is 1 day
Understandable. I think if you're really trying to figure out if Prime would be worth it for you, put the fast shipping aside and over a couple months, track how much extra you're spending on jerky and shipping, and see how much you'd save on other items if you did buy them at Amazon with Prime compared to finding them locally, and extrapolate that out for the year.

Homer J Simpson said:
shuke said:
I've been largely disappointed by the TV/movie selections. There just isn't much there.
The movie selection is pretty weak but they have some great TV series that Netflix doesn't have.
I don't really understand the logic on Prime Video. I guess TV shows are cheaper, but I want movies, not TV. Very little differentiation from Netflix, IMO.

I don't really understand the logic on Prime Video. I guess TV shows are cheaper, but I want movies, not TV. Very little differentiation from Netflix, IMO.
The main differentiation from Netflix is free two-day shipping on a huge variety of retail items.

As far as the streaming, been a Prime User for years, also a netflix user. The two pair up well with their exclusive content. BBC, HBO, FX stuff not on Netflix. Also like the option of paying to watch the next season or particular episodes of the current. Has come in handy if I miss a season premiere or random episode thats not on demand. Dont know if its anecdotal or not but on the shows they share, seems like Prime gets the new free seasons a few weeks earlier than Netflix. Noticed this particularly with Doctor Who recently.

Have become a fan of the "slow" shipping option for Prime users where they credit you $1 in streaming/kindle credit. I only use it every once in a while when its something I dont need right this minute like when my dog leash started fraying real bad and I ordered a replacement. Only took an extra day or two to arrive.

Homer J Simpson said:
shuke said:
And I want TV more than movies. To each their own. :shrug:

The main differentiation from Netflix is free two-day shipping on a huge variety of retail items.
Yes, I'm aware. That's what I specified Prime Video.
But that is the logic behind it. I don't think they're really looking to be viewed as different from Netflix. They'd be happy for people like me to basically equate the two video services and choose Amazon because there's more to the membership than just video.

Plus the storage and now streaming music and 1 book a month. Although I don't know the selection on that

Users who are viewing this thread