What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (3 Viewers)

Amazon is so good they just delivered a package I was thinking of ordering tomorrow, actually true

I got a package last Sunday. Yep, they are doing that now for Prime. F'ing rules
Who is making the delivery?
USPS
I'm almost two hours from LA in the desert and received a one day shipment last week. Too often the free shipping just includes a price bump on the product, and sometimes products arrive just as fast without Prime, but I'm hooked on Amazon. My mom is an in home hospice patient a little depressed about being unable to Christmas shop. She usually buys clothes for gifts and was very reluctant to do so without handling the merchandise, but she went for it after understanding the return policy. Several sweaters have arrived this week surpassing her expectations. Thanks Amazon. You are the greatest.

So at what point is Amazon Prime worth the $80? I only did like 20 orders this year, but assume if I had Prime and looked for discounts on more everyday items (and diapers and wipes next year) that I would use it more often with free and fast shipping.

So at what point is Amazon Prime worth the $80? I only did like 20 orders this year, but assume if I had Prime and looked for discounts on more everyday items (and diapers and wipes next year) that I would use it more often with free and fast shipping.
so you don't think you could have saved > $80 on shipping 20 orders?

I've got to think the average shipping cost is >$4... obviously depends on what you're ordering.

for me it's not even a value question at this point. there's the convenience and reliability of knowing I can order and have it delivered in 2 days for free. It's to the point where i don't really price shop for most things. i just go to amazon, search with a "prime" filter and find what I want.

for me it's not even a value question at this point. there's the convenience and reliability of knowing I can order and have it delivered in 2 days for free. It's to the point where i don't really price shop for most things. i just go to amazon, search with a "prime" filter and find what I want.
THIS

I might do a quick/cursory comparison shop but 80% of the time I just search for prime on amazon via iOS app... one touch ordering. Boom. It's there in 1-2 days with clock like precision. Amazon has spoiled me. The idea of waiting 3-5 days for something to ship now is infuriating.

173 Orders placed in 2013 :banned:
only 35 here... 173 is impressive. that's like one order every other day. wow.
46. I moved from a 3rd floor condo in July to a house and the FedEx guy asked "did you used to live on a 3rd floor? Man we are glad you moved to a house." :lol:

They are finally building a warehouse in FL, so I'm not looking forward to paying taxes. Hopefully, there will be some added benefits to having the actual warehouse so close, like same day delivery.

I've got to think the average shipping cost is >$4... obviously depends on what you're ordering.

Same for me. I tell people who are concerned about value to join prime as soon as they have a large item with >$20 shipping.

But Amazon is like Costco - many times they have the best price and even if they don't, you know it's always very close so you don't even need to bother comparison shopping.

Does anybody use the "subscribe and save" or "Amazon Mom" option?
I use Subscribe and save for my daily vitamins. :thumbup:

Wife is contemplating Amazon Mom.
I don't have Prime right now, and expect our first baby in July. They're offering 3 months of Mom right now for free with a bunch of discounts, including 15% off for filling your baby registry. I was just curious how good their baby needs stuff is. One catch though is that 3 months free doesn't include streaming and some other Prime services. Which is weird to me.

I'm on Amazon Mom and Student. In the good ole days I used it to get a free year of prime for each. I think it's down to 3 months free now or something.

I'm on Amazon Mom and Student. In the good ole days I used it to get a free year of prime for each. I think it's down to 3 months free now or something.
Tell me how these work and what their benefits are, please.
Amazon student you need an official .edu college email and then they offer you I believe 6 months free, at least that's what I got.
I think you get half price renewals as well.

Tell me how these work and what their benefits are, please.
Amazon student you need an official .edu college email and then they offer you I believe 6 months free, at least that's what I got.
I think you get half price renewals as well.
Yes you do because that's what I'm on now.

Amazon prime is worth it to me and I really don't order a ton of stuff. I love the convenience of ordering something and getting it in two days (usually one). I use the lending library for my kindle and watch the free streaming movies. Amazon is by far the best company on this planet imo.

Everything is good here. The chat rep went from saying it might be UPS' fault to saying it definitely was a carrier issue. UPS chat is not available so I can't get their side of the story until tomorrow.
UPS says its not their fault. Who do I believe?
It's prolly UPS's fault. From working closely with them...I've learned:

a) their trucks are packed to the gills. Stuff falls around....a box gets out of place and it doesn't get delievered.

b) their drivers are Federally regulated to stop at a certain time and are required to take a certain amount of time off of the road (8 hours I believe). This is limiting their manpower.

c) they've based their employee allocation resources and their delievery mapping on what happened two years ago. So they have very much underestimated the volume of packages.

d) Amazon Prime is killing them as it allows any jabroni to order things whenever they want and not have to worry about lumping all the items together in one package for delievery.
The last one sounds like good news for UPS... but not for their apparently outdated volume projections.

17seconds said:
Guster said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

Same for me. I tell people who are concerned about value to join prime as soon as they have a large item with >$20 shipping.

But Amazon is like Costco - many times they have the best price and even if they don't, you know it's always very close so you don't even need to bother comparison shopping.
You are correct, however, one difference is convenience. I am home all week, and can't drive. So we have to do all of our shopping on the weekend. If I need some stuff that is out of the ordinary, I tend to get it at Amazon; because with the 3 kids and all the crap we have to do on weekends, there tends not to be much time to run around to get other stuff besides groceries and other staples. So being able to punch a button and have something delivered in a day or two is great!

Everything is good here. The chat rep went from saying it might be UPS' fault to saying it definitely was a carrier issue. UPS chat is not available so I can't get their side of the story until tomorrow.
UPS says its not their fault. Who do I believe?
It's prolly UPS's fault. From working closely with them...I've learned:

a) their trucks are packed to the gills. Stuff falls around....a box gets out of place and it doesn't get delievered.

b) their drivers are Federally regulated to stop at a certain time and are required to take a certain amount of time off of the road (8 hours I believe). This is limiting their manpower.

c) they've based their employee allocation resources and their delievery mapping on what happened two years ago. So they have very much underestimated the volume of packages.

d) Amazon Prime is killing them as it allows any jabroni to order things whenever they want and not have to worry about lumping all the items together in one package for delievery.
The last one sounds like good news for UPS... but not for their apparently outdated volume projections.
Believe it or not, from talking to these guys...there is such a thing as too much overttime.....particularly when Uncle Sam dips his finger in their pies.

I missed out on the Kindle Fire HDX that went for $50 off on cyber monday. I want one but suppose I'll wait for another sale. Don't want to pay $229 for the 7" fire.

I also like the Amazon deals that give you a $25 or $50 gift card for the purchase of something else. I'll do that then get the Kindle when it gets back down to $179.
I got one. Although I thought it would get shipped immediately, I won't get it 'til Tuesday. :kicksrock:

Leeroy Jenkins said:
I'm an amazon mom and use subscribe and save for diapers wipes formula baby food...pretty much anything I can. With enough subscribe and save items I'm getting 20% off on all my monthly stuff. Saves me piles of money time headache. I couldn't love a company more than I love amazon. Also with prime membership there's a nice instant video library.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Otis said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

I don't have Prime right now, and expect our first baby in July. They're offering 3 months of Mom right now for free with a bunch of discounts, including 15% off for filling your baby registry. I was just curious how good their baby needs stuff is. One catch though is that 3 months free doesn't include streaming and some other Prime services. Which is weird to me.
Congrats on the baby, Leeroy.

A coworker is using either "S&S" or "Mom" for diapers. He says getting them for about 60% of what he paid at Costco.

I recently signed up for S&S. I'm getting stuff like antiperspirant, shampoo, body wash, razors blades, paper towels, laundry detergent, shaving gel, etc... I price checked a few of the items at my grocery store and all are cheaper at Amazon.

The key is getting the cycles right, which I'm still tinkering with. I've already found out I don't use as much of some items as fast as I thought.

Oh, and pay attention to how items come packed. I thought I had bought 1 box of dishwasher detergent. Well, I bought 1 UNIT but that unit was 5 120 oz boxes of Cascade :bag: Do food drives take stuff like that?

Have you noticed more supposedly counterfeit stuff showing up on Amazon? I see in reviews more and more that fake stuff (mainly toys) are what is being delivered.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Otis said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

Congrats on the baby, Leeroy.A coworker is using either "S&S" or "Mom" for diapers. He says getting them for about 60% of what he paid at Costco.

I recently signed up for S&S. I'm getting stuff like antiperspirant, shampoo, body wash, razors blades, paper towels, laundry detergent, shaving gel, etc... I price checked a few of the items at my grocery store and all are cheaper at Amazon.

The key is getting the cycles right, which I'm still tinkering with. I've already found out I don't use as much of some items as fast as I thought.

Oh, and pay attention to how items come packed. I thought I had bought 1 box of dishwasher detergent. Well, I bought 1 UNIT but that unit was 5 120 oz boxes of Cascade :bag: Do food drives take stuff like that?
I bet soup kitchens would take that stuff for their own dishes.

What's the catch for signing up for mom or ss? I don't see any fee other than prime's $79. Is there a cancellation fee if you stop the membership to either of them that I'm not reading?

SacramentoBob said:
Is there a quick way to see how many orders/how much you've spent in a given year?
Go to your account and click the "your orders" button. You can filter orders from previous years that include the price you paid. You can also print a report with the orders you've made that includes the amount you spent.

Have you noticed more supposedly counterfeit stuff showing up on Amazon? I see in reviews more and more that fake stuff (mainly toys) are what is being delivered.
I ordered a soccer Jersey for my son that was obviously a counterfeit based on the price - about $40 for a jersey that is normally more than twice that. It was obviously shady. The guy had 99% positive 5 star reviews, all very generic comments and all within the past 3 months. The jersey never arrived and Amazon gave me a full refund. A few weeks later, I did the exact same thing again, different seller different jersey, but very similar and probably the same guy. Same thing happened and I got another refund.

I ordered a soccer Jersey for my son that was obviously a counterfeit based on the price - about $40 for a jersey that is normally more than twice that. It was obviously shady. The guy had 99% positive 5 star reviews, all very generic comments and all within the past 3 months. The jersey never arrived and Amazon gave me a full refund. A few weeks later, I did the exact same thing again, different seller different jersey, but very similar and probably the same guy. Same thing happened and I got another refund.
Yup, I'm seeing more counterfiet/knock-off stuff as well. Gillette Mach-3 Turbo razor blades being one thing

Yup, I'm seeing more counterfiet/knock-off stuff as well. Gillette Mach-3 Turbo razor blades being one thing
A lot of third-party Chinese sellers are invading Amazon. They're going to have to get it under control, quick.

Guster said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

My average cost of shipping is very close to zero because pretty much anything that's available on Prime is also available for Super Saver shipping, which means free 5-8-day shipping if the order is over $25.

They just raised it from $25 to $35, though, so I'm thinking about getting Prime. Two days is better than eight days, after all. I may sign up right now, in fact. <pause> Okay, I just went over there to sign up because I placed an order this morning that I'd like to get in two days. But Prime wasn't available for it. (It already has free shipping.) I guess I'll wait and reconsider whenever I place my next order...

So if you pay for the 2 day shipping and it doesn't make it what does Amazon do to compensate you? If you are using Amazon Prime and the shipment is late what does Amazon do to compensate you?

So if you pay for the 2 day shipping and it doesn't make it what does Amazon do to compensate you? If you are using Amazon Prime and the shipment is late what does Amazon do to compensate you?
Drifter takes you to a major sporting event of your choice. He's good people :thumbup:

Maurile Tremblay said:

My average cost of shipping is very close to zero because pretty much anything that's available on Prime is also available for Super Saver shipping, which means free 5-8-day shipping if the order is over $25.

They just raised it from $25 to $35, though, so I'm thinking about getting Prime. Two days is better than eight days, after all. I may sign up right now, in fact. <pause> Okay, I just went over there to sign up because I placed an order this morning that I'd like to get in two days. But Prime wasn't available for it. (It already has free shipping.) I guess I'll wait and reconsider whenever I place my next order...
This is something that caused me to finally sign up after being on the fence for a while. I was surprised this change didn't get more discussion online, although maybe I wasn't looking in the right spots. The free shipping at $25 was a big reason I was a loyal Amazon customer in the first place, and there were many times I bought something extra in order to get over that line. At $35, it was too much to not be on Prime.

When I lost my job, I dropped Amazon Prime because I was not sure it would be that useful. That lasted a little more than a month. I ordered a few things and absolutely missed Prime shipping. The frustration level of having to wait a week or more for shipping was driving me crazy.

I don't use the streaming at all but my wife does use the Lending Library every month for her Kindle.

Money wise I don't know if it will be worth it but trust me, Amazon Prime is worth every cent just for peace of mind knowing that it is there.

I am Amazon Prime spoiled. :tebow:

Last edited by a moderator:
SHIZNITTTT said:
East Coast Bias said:
SHIZNITTTT said:
They put a note in your account so it won't happen again.
:lol: really?
They may not actually put a note in your account. I just asked them about their guarantee a couple days ago when they missed a guaranteed delivery date and this is what they said:

01:17 AM(GMT) Darlene(CSA): I'm so sorry that there was an delay with your item. We will take note of this concern so it wont happen again in the future.

I saw reviews for Klipsch Image S4i saying they received counterfeit earphones

Maurile Tremblay said:

I'm sure this is part of the reason that Amazon has Prime, but I find myself clicking on the button that filters out the non-Prime items, so that I will get things quickly. The pages tell you if you can get things cheaper, but most of the time, if you add in shipping it is the same or pretty close. And sometimes for a couple bucks, I like getting track-able next day.

Not sure if this is a hi-jack or not, but does anyone here do Amazon Mom? With 2 kids under 2 we are frequent diaper shoppers and wanted to see if anyone else likes it

Not sure if this is a hi-jack or not, but does anyone here do Amazon Mom? With 2 kids under 2 we are frequent diaper shoppers and wanted to see if anyone else likes it
My Wife and I use it. It's really nice to get diapers delivered every month. Never really have to worry about running out of them and they're a smidge cheaper than going to the local BJ's and getting a box.

Users who are viewing this thread