What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime (3 Viewers)

8th grade daughter needs a Chromebook. I've looked at HP, Dell, Lenovo and Asus.....am I wrong in thinking none of them appear great??

Last edited by a moderator:
i have some ring cameras that run fine on my front door and garage door.  i wanted to get a ring doorbell but i dont think it will fit on the narrow piece of wood where my doorbell is located.  starting to think its probably not worth it and will also look terrible.
Oh man.  I just purchased this yesterday and may have the same issue, didn't think about that.  May have to return...

I thought this year's Prime Day was better than past.  It seemed past years were Kindle and Alexa devices plus all the USB batteries you could eat.   Of course not everything on the site is going to be discounted, but I picked up a bunch of things that I would normally buy every 3 to 6 months with almost all of it discounted and getting 6% off with the Prime card was the cherry on top. 

Oh man.  I just purchased this yesterday and may have the same issue, didn't think about that.  May have to return...
I thought about it, more because I hate my doorbell because my dog goes nuts. My wife and I both work from home so honestly, we don’t really need it. That garage door closer would be better, but again, I don’t really need it. Kid going to college in 1 month, think I need to err on the don’t get things you don’t need. $5 smart plugs, need and nice that my wife has another Amazon account so I got two for $10. My Christmas lights one are a great thing but the Echo Show doesn’t like them during non-Christmas. It’s probably because of the two accounts but the setup with another app then Alexa sucked. These should be right in Alexa app. 

I thought this year's Prime Day was better than past.  It seemed past years were Kindle and Alexa devices plus all the USB batteries you could eat.   Of course not everything on the site is going to be discounted, but I picked up a bunch of things that I would normally buy every 3 to 6 months with almost all of it discounted and getting 6% off with the Prime card was the cherry on top. 
I did get Quaker Oatmeal packs for cheaper than Costco and the Costco one includes the Cinnamon and Apple, which aren’t as good. I think my wife was looking at dorm stuff for my oldest too. Not sure what she got. 

agree

Well damn, so much for not buying much. I got the Meshforce Mesh Router. With 6% on Amazon Visa, it’s about $150 instead of $199. I like my router but the extension nodes are crap and just don’t work that well. It’s not truly built as a mesh network and I have a third floor. I’m just tired of the kids telling me the WiFi is not great. The router is in my office, so it’s great for me.

Amazon's site UI is terrible every day but it's even worse on Prime Day.  Sale pages are cluttered with tons of junk to scroll through before a random matrix of items relevant in only the broadest sense.  Back navigation is problematic.

If you're searching for an item by description, search results mix Prime Day sale items with the usual odd Amazon brands.
Yeah, it is brutal to browse

Well damn, so much for not buying much. I got the Meshforce Mesh Router. With 6% on Amazon Visa, it’s about $150 instead of $199. I like my router but the extension nodes are crap and just don’t work that well. It’s not truly built as a mesh network and I have a third floor. I’m just tired of the kids telling me the WiFi is not great. The router is in my office, so it’s great for me.
That is really appealing.  Was having wifi issues in my new house for a bit, but it got better once I was using a firestick on the TV further away.

That is really appealing.  Was having wifi issues in my new house for a bit, but it got better once I was using a firestick on the TV further away.
The Firesticks are actually pretty solid. I had no issues with that, seems more to be phones and laptops that have issues.

Is there a reason you went with the Meshforce and not the Eero?  Was just looking at these.

I bought a brother laser printer a few months ago.  I think it is this one.  I am not at home to see the actual model, but it looks just like this.  It has been great so far.

Looking at wireless printers, too.  Anybody have one they actually like?  Reading printer reviews is brutal.

I personally would avoid Epson, many of their printers do not print in black and white when you run out of color ink.  I am not very impressed with the print quality of ours either, we have an Epson XP-830.

Amazon's site UI is terrible every day but it's even worse on Prime Day.  Sale pages are cluttered with tons of junk to scroll through before a random matrix of items relevant in only the broadest sense.  Back navigation is problematic.

If you're searching for an item by description, search results mix Prime Day sale items with the usual odd Amazon brands.
Yeah, it is brutal to browse
Yeah, I clicked on Sports and Outdoors filter and the first three items presented were baby clothing, a watch, and a dress.

8th grade daughter needs a Chromebook. I've looked at HP, Dell, Lenovo and Asus.....am I wrong in thinking none of them appear great??
I bought Asus' for my daughters in middle school. Five plus years of consistant teenage use(UTube, Netflix, google docs etc.) and they have been great. My oldest just graduated and her charging port is getting to be a pain, cord has to be just so for it to work, so I bought her this one yesterday for $180 to take to college. My Younger daughters old one is still fine for her, no problems. Offered to get my Oldest a MacBook Air but she prefers the chromebook, yay practicality  :thumbup:

Without looking, it could be that none of them are "great."  Chromebooks are built to internet.  That's it.  If it has speakers and a web cam and two usb ports, you're golden. 

I bought an Acer refurb that my daughter has been very happy with.  Here's the exact one that's a couple years old now.  Can't beat the price, imo.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD3LXXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Prime got me for two more pairs of Haggar Cool 18 dress pants.  My favorite pants for work.  Just bought some for $35 in March, but they are $22 today.  

Not seeing much else, but don't really need anything right now either.

Anybody with Bluetooth earbud experience...specifically Altec Lansing MZX635?  I've been thinking about getting a pair.  These have some mixed reviews, but at only $20, I may take a chance...   

ETA...lol...in the time it took me to post this, the deal filled up and the price jumped to $32.70.
I got a pair of these, which are good for walking. Can't testify for running as my knees are trash . But no problems otherwise. Battery lasts a couple hours and sound is as you would expect from the price.bluetooth 

Without looking, it could be that none of them are "great."  Chromebooks are built to internet.  That's it.  If it has speakers and a web cam and two usb ports, you're golden. 

I bought an Acer refurb that my daughter has been very happy with.  Here's the exact one that's a couple years old now.  Can't beat the price, imo.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD3LXXK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Come to find out, it does not have to be a Chromebook. It can be a Windows laptop as well. Ugh.

I bought Asus' for my daughters in middle school. Five plus years of consistant teenage use(UTube, Netflix, google docs etc.) and they have been great. My oldest just graduated and her charging port is getting to be a pain, cord has to be just so for it to work, so I bought her this one yesterday for $180 to take to college. My Younger daughters old one is still fine for her, no problems. Offered to get my Oldest a MacBook Air but she prefers the chromebook, yay practicality  :thumbup:
That was $180 yesterday?? Dang it

Bought a lot more this year than previous years. They were basically giving away many of their products and lots of credits were available this year. Was hoping they'd have some Warehouse deals but doesn't look like it. Wound up getting:

3 FIresticks

75' TCL

Ring Pro doorbell + Echo Dot

Smart Plug + Echo Dot

Portable device/phone charger

Echo Show 5 

Bunch of cat treats

Gonna bet Sling subscription #s go skyrocketing up soon :lol:  

Bought a lot more this year than previous years. They were basically giving away many of their products and lots of credits were available this year. Was hoping they'd have some Warehouse deals but doesn't look like it. Wound up getting:

3 FIresticks

75' TCL

Ring Pro doorbell + Echo Dot

Smart Plug + Echo Dot

Portable device/phone charger

Echo Show 5 

Bunch of cat treats

Gonna bet Sling subscription #s go skyrocketing up soon :lol:  
Curious about the Echo Show 5. Once i get my stuff up and running i may add one or two. Nice to pull up the video from the Ring Doorbell. I guess you can probably do that on your phone/tablet though? I figure when black friday rolls around i may hit Amazon again and possibly buy a few more Alexa goodies.

Curious about the Echo Show 5. Once i get my stuff up and running i may add one or two. Nice to pull up the video from the Ring Doorbell. I guess you can probably do that on your phone/tablet though? I figure when black friday rolls around i may hit Amazon again and possibly buy a few more Alexa goodies.
Exactly why I got it. (For Ring Doorbell)

Basically traded in a 2nd gen Echo Dot and wound up getting the Echo Show 5 for $25 I believe. Appears deal is still ongoing for couple hours https://slickdeals.net/f/13225756-prime-members-trade-in-offer-amazon-echo-show-5-smart-display-27-50-w-eligible-trade-in-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

Exactly why I got it. (For Ring Doorbell)

Basically traded in a 2nd gen Echo Dot and wound up getting the Echo Show 5 for $25 I believe. Appears deal is still ongoing for couple hours https://slickdeals.net/f/13225756-prime-members-trade-in-offer-amazon-echo-show-5-smart-display-27-50-w-eligible-trade-in-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch
I ended up getting yet another firestick, this time the 4k one, for my main TV. I guess you can link your Echo to your firestick and the Ring Doorbell. Then you just say Alexa show me my front door and it will come up on your TV.

The Echo Show 5 looks like it might make a good upstairs bedroom device though.

I'm new to all this "smart" tech and am learning.

Come to find out, it does not have to be a Chromebook. It can be a Windows laptop as well. Ugh.
You may help yourself by asking not "what machine should I get" but "what does this machine have to do?"  Everything my school asks of my daughter is internet based.  All the assignments, primers, rubrics, and answers are on websites and/or use web-based tools (eg google drive, google docs, google slides).  Chrome OS is lightweight so minimal hard drive (internal storage) needed.  A couple gig of ram should help it run youtube.   So my daughter's machine needed to connect to the internet (I have wifi in my house) and connect to a mouse (USB port).  A decent sized well-reviewed screen and well-reviewed keyboard are helpful.   If there's an extra USB port and she can plug in her phone, that's a bonus.  Printing can be dicey on chromebooks but my daughter never had a need for it.  

FWIW, running windows is expensive in both resources (RAM space and speed, hard drive space and speed) and dollars perspective.  IMO not worth it for an eighth grader's machine unless you know she aspires to doing a lot of video editing or gaming, in which case I'd think about desktop over a laptop.  Good luck.  

Cheaper, better rating and two nodes instead of one, again making it cheaper since I’ve got 3 floors and a big house.
Wasn't cheaper.  Both were $199.

Meshforce didn't have nearly the same number of reviews, so I was curious. Never heard of it before.  

Today is the day when people start crying that the dryer sheets that were supposed to arrive today won't arrive until tomorrow. I'm BOYCOTTING Prime! 

(most of my stuff arrived yesterday (one day))

Brony said:
Today is the day when people start crying that the dryer sheets that were supposed to arrive today won't arrive until tomorrow. I'm BOYCOTTING Prime! 

(most of my stuff arrived yesterday (one day))
95% of the time I choose the slow shipping for the $1 digital credit. Have bought several movies this way.

eta - wrong word

Users who are viewing this thread