What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8 yrs post 30k legal battle, WI Wallaby guy obtains proper permits to own Zebra... (1 Viewer)

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
What's this Wallaby's name? Rocko?
I think a good name would be Wally.
My kid already has a Water Buffalo named Wally at my parent's ranch. My kid sister is going to try to break it to ride for him.I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
I know what you mean, a roadside zoo by my house was running a 25% sale on rhino's. You just can't say no to those little buggers esp. at those prices.
There are "Why?" people and "Why not?" people I guess. We had been looking for a dog, this came along first.

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
My kid already has a Water Buffalo named Wally at my parent's ranch. My kid sister is going to try to break it to ride for him.I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
I know what you mean, a roadside zoo by my house was running a 25% sale on rhino's. You just can't say no to those little buggers esp. at those prices.
There are "Why?" people and "Why not?" people I guess. We had been looking for a dog, this came along first.
can you store the remote control in its pouch? can you fit a beer in there?

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
All that would fit in there. It's basically a knapsack with a drawstring. He sleeps in there about 18 hours a day if you hang it from a doorknob. I think he would like totally go for a beer though, might wait a little bit to develop that habit.

'-jb- said:
'hooter311 said:
I kind of want to breed an army of these things though.
That would be extraordinary.
Put me down on the list for a puppy wallaby. Can I train it to go to the bars with me? Could be some pretty good comic fodder here...
It would be fun to act like it's no big deal around the wimmens. "What? Oh, him? That's just my wallaby. Do you think they'd turn the rangers game on for me if I asked?"

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
All that would fit in there. It's basically a knapsack with a drawstring. He sleeps in there about 18 hours a day if you hang it from a doorknob. I think he would like totally go for a beer though, might wait a little bit to develop that habit.
I meant HIS pouch..

I've always wanted a pet wombat. Them things are awesome. Sup.
Although wombats, especially young ones, look cute and are affectionate, full grown they can be aggressive, threatening, and even dangerous. Wombats are wild animals, not domesticated pets, and as such should be left in the wild where they belong. In most places in Australia, wombats are protected and it's illegal to keep them as pets.

Wombats need special care and a special diet. They're extremely strong and can be very destructive. They can tear holes in fences, doors, and even walls. There's not much that will stop a wombat other than concrete or steel.

As a wombat grows and matures, it becomes less and less friendly, and increasingly hostile and unpredictable. They have sufficient strength and speed to be dangerous.

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
I meant HIS pouch..
wait! Wally has a FUPA? I might have to get one then!

'hooter311 said:
Pulled over a roadside zoo the other day and ended up coming home with a baby wallaby. Not sure exactly how old it is, but still being bottle fed. Was able to purchase "kangaroo" formula from the guy to bottle feed it. Thing is like a big rabbit with the personality of a kitten. He spends most of his day in a "pouch" or basically a sack hanging from the doorknob. It wears a diaper in the house but won't go in it, I put a wire dog kennel outside and when you put him in there he will go in a few minutes. Likes to sit in your lap or in its pouch and lick your hands. I let it free roam in my kid's playroom during the day. I think I'm going to set up a camera, but from what I can tell he spends most of his time in the pouch when left alone. He doesn't make much noise, but it is a weird sound when he does. If you leave him alone in the living room he will sit on the couch and watch tv.

The one thing I am noticing is that as he gets used to us, he is getting a little more aggressive, and he has a blast when you "fight" back. He annihilates stuffed animals and likes to bring them back to his pouch when he is not ragdolling them. He is about 8 lbs right now but would woop my 12 lb dog and the dog knows it. He is supposed to get up to 50 lbs, which may be a little much to handle if I can't figure out how to get him not to fight for fun. I'm worried my 4 year old is going to take a KO punch someday.

The last few nights I've been sleeping with an oversized hoodie and he crawls right into the pocket. I'm pretty sure he is even starting to come when you call him.

The guy told me getting him fixed would keep him from getting too aggressive. I kind of want to breed an army of these things though.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/hooter311/2012-04-14_12-37-49_556.jpg
These pretty common in Wisconsin?

'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
Awwwwwwww baby rhinos are so cute!My link

'Wingnut said:
'hooter311 said:
Pulled over a roadside zoo the other day and ended up coming home with a baby wallaby. The one thing I am noticing is that as he gets used to us, he is getting a little more aggressive...He is about 8 lbs right now but would woop my 12 lb dog and the dog knows it. He is supposed to get up to 50 lbs....I'm worried my 4 year old is going to take a KO punch someday.
Seriously, nothing could possibly go wrong here.
I'll pass along the same wisdom that my father passed on to me and that his father passed on to him."If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

'hooter311 said:
Pulled over a roadside zoo the other day and ended up coming home with a baby wallaby. Not sure exactly how old it is, but still being bottle fed. Was able to purchase "kangaroo" formula from the guy to bottle feed it. Thing is like a big rabbit with the personality of a kitten. He spends most of his day in a "pouch" or basically a sack hanging from the doorknob. It wears a diaper in the house but won't go in it, I put a wire dog kennel outside and when you put him in there he will go in a few minutes. Likes to sit in your lap or in its pouch and lick your hands. I let it free roam in my kid's playroom during the day. I think I'm going to set up a camera, but from what I can tell he spends most of his time in the pouch when left alone. He doesn't make much noise, but it is a weird sound when he does. If you leave him alone in the living room he will sit on the couch and watch tv.

The one thing I am noticing is that as he gets used to us, he is getting a little more aggressive, and he has a blast when you "fight" back. He annihilates stuffed animals and likes to bring them back to his pouch when he is not ragdolling them. He is about 8 lbs right now but would woop my 12 lb dog and the dog knows it. He is supposed to get up to 50 lbs, which may be a little much to handle if I can't figure out how to get him not to fight for fun. I'm worried my 4 year old is going to take a KO punch someday.

The last few nights I've been sleeping with an oversized hoodie and he crawls right into the pocket. I'm pretty sure he is even starting to come when you call him.

The guy told me getting him fixed would keep him from getting too aggressive. I kind of want to breed an army of these things though.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/hooter311/2012-04-14_12-37-49_556.jpg
These pretty common in Wisconsin?
No, I can't recall any I've seen here. We went down to my cousin's intersquad game at Iowa State in Ames. Along I-35 on the way back, about 30 miles south of Mason City there was a large aluminum lean-to with the word "ZOO" printed across it. We were making good time so we pulled in to check it out.

Do they get along with dogs? Are there wallaby boarding houses for when we go on vacation?
Not sure yet. The links I've seen say they are pretty social and they were running all around the person's yard we got him from. There were cats and dogs out around them.My dog is a big pansy and is terrified of it. We are a family of lovers and cuddlers and Toby the Wallaby is the only one that likes to get in everyone's face. I should know more in another month or so when things settle down if they actually get along.My dog likes to be the sheriff of the household and he gets upset if anyone is having too much fun. Toby racing around the house is really stressing him out but he basically just sits in his bed with his ears up all day.

What exactly do wallaby's eat?
I have a 20lb sack of formula I got with it, that was supposed to be "Kangaroo" formula. I'm looking into getting more of it, but I might have to have it sent airmail from Australia, which is going to cost a penny or two I'm sure.Luckily about 20 miles from here there is a place that produces zoo food. I got ahold of them yesterday and they have barley type pellets that zoos buy from them that should work. Right now everything is out of a bottle.

Next is the biggest inconvenience: you'll need a fence, like a five to six foot fence to keep your wallaby from becoming possibly your runaway wallaby. Plus, they need a yard to hop around in, so they're not the pet for apartment dwellers. On the subject of hopping, like a dog, you'll want to teach them to stay off of certain things. They'll hop up on sofas and beds (not a huge problem), as well as tables and countertops (kind of a huge problem). Add to that the fact that half of the length of a wallaby is tail, which is sure to be swinging into whatever fragile and easily knocked over thing it can find, and you could have a little Australian wrecking ball on your hands.

Lets hope Toby doesn't drop kick you in the throat. Say good bye to your jugular.

My link

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Next is the biggest inconvenience: you'll need a fence, like a five to six foot fence to keep your wallaby from becoming possibly your runaway wallaby. Plus, they need a yard to hop around in, so they're not the pet for apartment dwellers. On the subject of hopping, like a dog, you'll want to teach them to stay off of certain things. They'll hop up on sofas and beds (not a huge problem), as well as tables and countertops (kind of a huge problem). Add to that the fact that half of the length of a wallaby is tail, which is sure to be swinging into whatever fragile and easily knocked over thing it can find, and you could have a little Australian wrecking ball on your hands.
I own my home but the exercise thing could get to be a problem. He takes little hops but he likes to bolt back and forth across the room when he is active. He really gets a kick out of it if you put up an obstacle like a chair in front of him for a little parkour. I want to make him a little pair of hulk jean shorts or something since he won't go to the bathroom if he is wearing anything. I tried to make him a harness for going outside but he did not care for what I came up with so I took it off before he hurt himself.I bought a 6x6 wire dog kennel and installed it behind the garage for him to do his business in, but I realize that probably isn't suitable for exercise long term.Looks like I'll be having a yard sale because every table in my house is glass topped. He hasn't tried jumping on one of them yet, but I know my luck will not last forever. Luckily I don't have a lot of clutter like lamps and pictures and crap to knock over and my kid has already broken most of the stuff I have to worry about.

I own my home but the exercise thing could get to be a problem. He takes little hops but he likes to bolt back and forth across the room when he is active. He really gets a kick out of it if you put up an obstacle like a chair in front of him for a little parkour. I want to make him a little pair of hulk jean shorts or something since he won't go to the bathroom if he is wearing anything. I tried to make him a harness for going outside but he did not care for what I came up with so I took it off before he hurt himself.I bought a 6x6 wire dog kennel and installed it behind the garage for him to do his business in, but I realize that probably isn't suitable for exercise long term.Looks like I'll be having a yard sale because every table in my house is glass topped. He hasn't tried jumping on one of them yet, but I know my luck will not last forever. Luckily I don't have a lot of clutter like lamps and pictures and crap to knock over and my kid has already broken most of the stuff I have to worry about.
you should totally get a 10 foot fence and then setup a kick ### obstacle course for him to romp around inone that makes those ##### dog "agility" courses look like hopscotch

Lets hope Toby doesn't drop kick you in the throat. Say good bye to your jugular.

My link

Nothing is too sharp on him yet. I had the file out, but I needed another person to hold him down. His front paws are like little raccoon hands. He can jump up and grab onto your leg when you are walking by and will hold on while you try to shake him off. He also likes to hold on with both hands while he licks your hands or arms. I thought maybe he had a salt deficiency or something but it seems like they might just love to lick crap.

Unsure the proper method for training. If I patted at him with a newspaper I think he would fight back. I think I'll start with a squirt bottle to see if that works as a deterrent at all.

My link

Nothing is too sharp on him yet. I had the file out, but I needed another person to hold him down. His front paws are like little raccoon hands. He can jump up and grab onto your leg when you are walking by and will hold on while you try to shake him off. He also likes to hold on with both hands while he licks your hands or arms. I thought maybe he had a salt deficiency or something but it seems like they might just love to lick crap.

Unsure the proper method for training. If I patted at him with a newspaper I think he would fight back. I think I'll start with a squirt bottle to see if that works as a deterrent at all.
:lmao: My dad picked me up a pet raccoon from one of theses places back in the mid '60's. He was a trip, too until the lady raccoons started strutting their stuff outside his cage. He never got aggressive with us, but we cut him loose because he seemed depressed that he wasn't gettin' any... ;)

This wallaby business is awesome. I just might be interested. Hook us up some video. Stat!

you clearly need a pickup truck bed for your backyardit seems that may be their natural habitat

'hooter311 said:
'Wingnut said:
'Bucky86 said:
'hooter311 said:
'Leroy Hoard said:
'The Hank said:
WTH?!??!?!!?
x2.Buffalo can be broken to ride?! :confused:
I don't think I've ever seen an American Buffalo that you could ride, but I've seen a Water Buffalo or two in my day. My kid sister already has a Brahma bull calf trained to ride and lay down.

Users who are viewing this thread