What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Carlos Beltran vs Albert Pujols HR tracker (1 Viewer)

Brady Marino

Footballguy
For the Cardinals, out went Albert Pujols and in stepped Carlos Beltran to help fill some offense Pujols took with him.

Through 4/18:

Beltran: 5 homers

Pujols: 0 homers

I'm sure Beltran won't stay ahead of him for long, but I am loving it so far! He has been a great addition to the team.

And in Albert's defense, he does lead the AL in doubles and is hitting near .300. But his slash stats look more like his teammate Maicer Izturis than what we typically see from Albert.

Update:

At the start of 5/1/12:

Beltran: 5 homers (batting .256/.376/.462, 11 RBI)

Pujols: 0 homers (batting .217/.265/.304, 4 RBI)

Pujols has been in a major funk since the first update. Beltran has been in a bit of a funk himself, as his slash stats all tumbled in the last two weeks.

And of course, there's this from El Hombre.

It's about time for Trumbo to tell Scoscia that Albert needs to go learn to how to play 3rd base.

No sense in having this bum block not 1, but 2, good first basemen.

Stat of the night -

Albert just had his 100th AB of 2012 last night. That marks the first time since 1980 that a player with 35 or more HRs the year before went 100 ABs without one to start a season.

Early in at-bats, Pujols is fouling off more pitches and taking more strikes. He is putting the ball in play on less than 40 percent of swings in early counts; usually, he puts about half of his swings early in an at-bat into play.

Pujols is hitting groundballs right into infield shifts and is struggling hitting the curveball this year.

Normally the right-handed Pujols would be crushing left-handed pitchers. Last year he hit nearly .300 and slugged over .600 against southpaws, but in April this year he is just 4-for-25 and has a slugging percentage of .240.

From 2001-11, Pujols entered the month of May with at least five home runs. So how many HR can be expected from Pujols the rest of the season?

According to Elias, seven players have finished with 40 home runs after not going deep once in April. The most was 54 by Babe Ruth in 1920. The most recent was Alex Rodriguez, who hit 42 HR in 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Da Guru said:
Early in at-bats, Pujols is fouling off more pitches and taking more strikes. He is putting the ball in play on less than 40 percent of swings in early counts; usually, he puts about half of his swings early in an at-bat into play. Pujols is hitting groundballs right into infield shifts and is struggling hitting the curveball this year.Normally the right-handed Pujols would be crushing left-handed pitchers. Last year he hit nearly .300 and slugged over .600 against southpaws, but in April this year he is just 4-for-25 and has a slugging percentage of .240. From 2001-11, Pujols entered the month of May with at least five home runs. So how many HR can be expected from Pujols the rest of the season? According to Elias, seven players have finished with 40 home runs after not going deep once in April. The most was 54 by Babe Ruth in 1920. The most recent was Alex Rodriguez, who hit 42 HR in 1999.
Time to put this bum on the bench. :thumbdown:

Is it safe to assume Pujols has never had a 6-week stretch with a .505 OPS (or lower)?

I'm also assuming the "Miggy went through the same thing" stuff is over. Miggy's AL "adjustment period" was a 5 HR/.829 OPS April.

I still wouldn't bet against a 30/100 season for Albert, but this is just brutal.

Is it safe to assume Pujols has never had a 6-week stretch with a .505 OPS (or lower)?

I'm also assuming the "Miggy went through the same thing" stuff is over. Miggy's AL "adjustment period" was a 5 HR/.829 OPS April.

I still wouldn't bet against a 30/100 season for Albert, but this is just brutal.
Would be shocking at this point IMO.

The lack of HRs is one thing, but to still be hitting under .200 with nearly 1/4 of the season gone is downright shocking. And unexplainable. Pujols, like all players, goes through slumps, but never this bad and for this long. And don't give me this "he's in a new league" nonsense. Plenty of MLBers, 99.9% of whom weren't the player that Pujols is/was, have changed leagues and adjusted fairly quickly, so that excuse doesn't fly.

To those in LA, how much heat is he catching? I know he has gotten booed a few times at home, but how is the media treating him? I suspect he is getting somewhat of a break since the Kings, Lakers and Clippers are all still alive in the playoffs in hockey and basketball.

The lack of HRs is one thing, but to still be hitting under .200 with nearly 1/4 of the season gone is downright shocking. And unexplainable. Pujols, like all players, goes through slumps, but never this bad and for this long. And don't give me this "he's in a new league" nonsense. Plenty of MLBers, 99.9% of whom weren't the player that Pujols is/was, have changed leagues and adjusted fairly quickly, so that excuse doesn't fly.

To those in LA, how much heat is he catching? I know he has gotten booed a few times at home, but how is the media treating him? I suspect he is getting somewhat of a break since the Kings, Lakers and Clippers are all still alive in the playoffs in hockey and basketball.
And plenty fell off the face of the earth in new surroundings. Plenty of examples in both directions. Javy Vazquez thinks it's a big deal. Cliff Lee does not.

I think we can safely shut this thread down.
Hold that thought.....
Carlos Beltran (knee) is out of the Cardinals' starting lineup for the second straight day Tuesday.Beltran is currently nursing some soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee, but he doesn't think it will keep him out of action for long. At least right now, anyway.
:o
Allen Craig has been a man on fire and with Berkman back, he doesn't have an every day position. So it doesn't hurt to give Beltran a breather every now and then. Craig can play where Beltran, Berkman, and Holliday play, and all three will need breathers at some point, so you put super-sub Craig in their spot and you (hypothetically) don't skip much of a beat.

Hold that thought.....
Carlos Beltran (knee) is out of the Cardinals' starting lineup for the second straight day Tuesday.Beltran is currently nursing some soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee, but he doesn't think it will keep him out of action for long. At least right now, anyway.
Allen Craig has been a man on fire and with Berkman back, he doesn't have an every day position. So it doesn't hurt to give Beltran a breather every now and then. Craig can play where Beltran, Berkman, and Holliday play, and all three will need breathers at some point, so you put super-sub Craig in their spot and you (hypothetically) don't skip much of a beat.
Huh? Beltran isn't getting a breather. It's because his knee has been "barking" lately. Remember, his knee which is held together by fishing line and duct tape?You don't sit guys more than a day that are hitting as hot as Beltran is right now without a good reason. They're not just trying to get super-sub Craig AB's here.

Hold that thought.....
Huh? Beltran isn't getting a breather. It's because his knee has been "barking" lately. Remember, his knee which is held together by fishing line and duct tape?You don't sit guys more than a day that are hitting as hot as Beltran is right now without a good reason. They're not just trying to get super-sub Craig AB's here.
Yes, I'm quite aware of Beltran's knee issues. And if Beltran's knee was REALLY that bad, don't you think he'd have trouble launching all those homers?Like I said, having Craig makes it easier to give Beltran a day off or two.

Hold that thought.....
Yes, I'm quite aware of Beltran's knee issues. And if Beltran's knee was REALLY that bad, don't you think he'd have trouble launching all those homers?Like I said, having Craig makes it easier to give Beltran a day off or two.
His knee was bad enough to sit, I know that.I've also come to the realization that players never consider anything that bad, until it is. Example: Matt Kemp stating it his hammy wasn't a big deal and there was no way he was going on the DL. Next day: DL. Happens all the time.

Example: Matt Kemp stating it his hammy wasn't a big deal and there was no way he was going on the DL. Next day: DL. Happens all the time.
Exactly.No harm in sitting Beltran 2-4 days if it prevents him from sitting 2-4 months because his knee got overtaxed.
I was referring to this when talking about Kemp and other players who say they'll be okay to play, only to be DL bound soon after....
Carlos Beltran said Monday that he's not worried about his sore right knee.

Beltran was held out of Monday's lineup because his surgically-repaired knee was "barking," but he doesn't think he'll require an extended absence. "Im not worried," said Beltran. "If it continues to feel like that, its a different story. But Im not worried about it." We'll have to take his word for it right now, but we're not counting on his return to the lineup Tuesday.

Example: Matt Kemp stating it his hammy wasn't a big deal and there was no way he was going on the DL. Next day: DL. Happens all the time.
Exactly.No harm in sitting Beltran 2-4 days if it prevents him from sitting 2-4 months because his knee got overtaxed.
I was referring to this when talking about Kemp and other players who say they'll be okay to play, only to be DL bound soon after....Carlos Beltran said Monday that he's not worried about his sore right knee.

Beltran was held out of Monday's lineup because his surgically-repaired knee was "barking," but he doesn't think he'll require an extended absence. "I’m not worried," said Beltran. "If it continues to feel like that, it’s a different story. But I’m not worried about it." We'll have to take his word for it right now, but we're not counting on his return to the lineup Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread