What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kendall Wright... (1 Viewer)

el centro

Footballguy
According to Pro Football Weekly, Baylor WR Kendall Wright is "parked in the third round" on a number of teams' draft boards after an unimpressive offseason.

There were rumors of an offseason weight gain for Wright, and his forty time at the Combine was slower than anticipated. "Randall Cobb was a lot better," one NFL evaluator said. "Wright is nowhere near as good with the ball in his hands and (Cobb) lasted 'til the back of the second (round). People are getting snookered (by Wright)." Wright managed only four bench-press reps, and Pro Football Weekly reports his body fat was 16 percent. Per PFW, it's "one of the highest percentages for a receiver in the past decade." Source: Pro Football Weekly

why post Rotoworld's interpretation and not the entire article?

Posted April 19, 2012 @ 2:53 p.m. ETBy Nolan NawrockiBaylor WR Kendall Wright entered the season graded as a consensus third-round pick in the NFL scouting community and RB Terrance Ganaway was barely a blip on the radar. After Robert Griffin III led the Bears to a sensational season that brought the school's first Heisman Trophy to Waco, some of the magic dust sprinkled onto Wright and Ganaway, who also produced career numbers.Wright began warranting first-round grades from evaluators late in the season, and Ganaway moved as high as the third round in the eyes of some evaluators. Postseason workouts had a sobering effect on both prospects.The way we hear it, the hype machine has come full circle with Wright, as he remains parked in the third round on a number of draft boards, in large part because of his work ethic and approach.“Randall Cobb was a lot better,” said one of the league’s best evaluators. “Wright is nowhere near as good with the ball in his hands and (Cobb) lasted 'til the back of the second (round). People are getting snookered — I did the first time I watched (Wright), seeing all the long TDs on the perimeter. Go back and watch how many tackles he really eludes and runs away from and tell me how many you find.”More concerning to teams than the tape was how few bench-press reps Wright performed at his pro day, after electing not to participate in the bench-press test at the NFL Scouting Combine. He registered a mere four reps, which would have stood as the worst of the Combine, three fewer than Virginia CB Chase Minnifield.Even more worrisome than his lack of strength was his 16 percent body fat, one of the highest percentages for a receiver in the past decade and indicative of a lack of discipline. The average Bod Pod test for a receiver is in the single digits. Purdue’s Keith Smith recorded the highest mark among receivers a year ago at 14.1 percent and stood 214 pounds. Smaller receivers like Wright, who measured 5-10 1/4, 197 pounds at Baylor's pro day in late March, are expected to be more sleek.Ganaway is graded as a consensus fifth-round pick, although some teams remain higher on him, and most would prefer to get him in the sixth.“Ganaway destroyed the bowl game,” a personnel director said, “but he did not get touched on any runs. I don’t like one-year producers.”Griffin is locked into the second overall spot and warranted top-five grades from the evaluation community. However, he, too, has his detractors."His hands are small, he had the most fumbles of any of the quarterbacks in this year's draft, and he's also the Big 12 quarterback that has to go play in the cold," one savvy evaluator said. "But I'm the only one in our building that has a lot of concerns."Said another veteran executive, "He's worth a first-round pick and probably top-10, but I don’t know if he is a great game-breaker yet, and I don't like the way he runs. He is a long-striding track guy who takes four steps to get going. He does not have great initial quick-running ability. And in my opinion, he holds the ball too long. But he can definitely throw it and lay it in. … I did not grade him as high as Donovan (McNabb) when he was coming out."Nonetheless, Griffin will get the opportunity to prove that he can be better than McNabb in Washington. His Baylor mates might not be as fortunate on Draft Day.

Wright has first round talent, but a lot of signs point towards a bad work ethic.

Wright has first round talent, but a lot of signs point towards a bad work ethic.
:goodposting: Pretty much what I was thinking. Not that a good bench press means anything on the field to a WR, but 4 is just sad. To me that says he isn't putting in much extra time at the gym. The Bodyfat %, if true also screams lazy. I had Wright and Hill neck and neck a few weeks ago. I have Hill firmly ahead of Wright now.

My problem with Wright is that I really liked what I saw on the field, but can't look past a guy who shows up to the combine looking soft, runs slow, and only does 4 reps on the bench. It screams no motivation. If he can't get up for the biggest opportunity of his professional career, why should we expect anything different once the paychecks start rolling in?

I think he's one of those guys where if I pass on him he will end up like Randy Moss and if I draft him he will end up like Charles Rogers. :) I will probably just opt for other alternatives if I'm in position to draft him, but we'll see...

My problem with Wright is that I really liked what I saw on the field, but can't look past a guy who shows up to the combine looking soft, runs slow, and only does 4 reps on the bench. It screams no motivation. If he can't get up for the biggest opportunity of his professional career, why should we expect anything different once the paychecks start rolling in? I think he's one of those guys where if I pass on him he will end up like Randy Moss and if I draft him he will end up like Charles Rogers. :) I will probably just opt for other alternatives if I'm in position to draft him, but we'll see...
After being so hard on Jeffery, who actually worked his butt off in the offseason, I don't know how I can overlook these signs of laziness from Wright. It's tough because I really like what I see on the field. Makes me wonder how much of Wright and Terrence Williams' (who I've seen rated as the #1 WR for 2013) success was due to RG3.

According to Pro Football Weekly, Baylor WR Kendall Wright is "parked in the third round" on a number of teams' draft boards after an unimpressive offseason.

There were rumors of an offseason weight gain for Wright, and his forty time at the Combine was slower than anticipated. "Randall Cobb was a lot better," one NFL evaluator said. "Wright is nowhere near as good with the ball in his hands and (Cobb) lasted 'til the back of the second (round). People are getting snookered (by Wright)." Wright managed only four bench-press reps, and Pro Football Weekly reports his body fat was 16 percent. Per PFW, it's "one of the highest percentages for a receiver in the past decade." Source: Pro Football Weekly
That is a talented NFL evaluator at cherry picking certain aspects of a WR's game. I could say that Cobb is better with the ball in his hands than AJ Green. I could also say that Wright hands are much better than Titus Young who went in the first half of the second.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised by the body fat number. He didn't look that way on the field. I don't have him rated as high as Bloom does but if he does go in the third he will be available late in a lot of rookie drafts.

Kinda weird that these red flags seemed to come from out of nowhere and all come in the offseason.

How could he go from performing so well on the field to so poorly off it in so short a period of time. Dude...you're an athlete. Hit the gym a bit.

The trend in this post seems to be people saying they like what they see on the field, but don't like the measureables (and can't ignore that).

That makes me wonder how much RG III made Wright. I agree with those who said it makes them leery. I'm not sure about him falling in rookie drafts very much though.

Similar to guys like Tannehill and Hill, who basically didn't have much news at all and then were speculated on highly all of a sudden once a team became desperate enough to need the players, it makes me cautious anytime a player starts generating so much buzz all at once, either positive or negative.

'Max Power said:
'EBF said:
:goodposting: Pretty much what I was thinking. Not that a good bench press means anything on the field to a WR, but 4 is just sad. To me that says he isn't putting in much extra time at the gym. The Bodyfat %, if true also screams lazy. I had Wright and Hill neck and neck a few weeks ago. I have Hill firmly ahead of Wright now.
:goodposting: Pretty obvious the guy hasnt spent a second in the gym.

While this is concerning, I did pick up the fact that it is 'some evaluators' grading him as a 3rd pick. I think others probably still have him as a late first or early second type of player. -I suppose only time will tell who is right. Regardless, this isn't the type of stuff anyone wants to read about a rookie they may select in the first rd of their dynasty league's rookie draft.

'Donnybrook said:
'el centro said:

That is a talented NFL evaluator at cherry picking certain aspects of a WR's game. I could say that Cobb is better with the ball in his hands than AJ Green. I could also say that Wright hands are much better than Titus Young who went in the first half of the second.
Yeah but a major part of Wright's appeal is his "dynamic playmaking". So the evaluator is merely comparing a major part of both Wright's and Cobb's game.

this time of year you have to filter out the white noise and missinformation that is being spread by 32 different camps/agendas. It would be amusing to have linked all the stories about prospects with weak arm strength, prima donna attitudes, slow 40 times, failed drug tests, poor wonderlick scores, low bench press reps, DUI, etc. I mean we have to talk about something while waiting for the actual draft to happen, and in the 24/7 NFL with the hyper-accelerator chamber that is Twitter and BB's, any nugget from any "source" can set off a minor flurry of people trying to spin it in their favor (and the preponderance of FF owners talking up their players should not be shocking, but i digest)

Human nature being what it is, we all look for confirmation of our opinions/bias even when it doesn't exist. As a Wright owner and a holder of many rookie 1st round picks in multiple leagues, I only care where he gets drafted. To a lesser extent, when. It would be better if he goes in the first since that may translate to a sooner opportunity (and indicates the team really wanted him).

I'd rather read Matt's scouting report, Bloom's opinion, or one of a half dozen scout sites that have no vested interested who goes where. They just reported what they saw and tried to interpret it to the next level.

Would have i preferred if he ran in the 4.4's at the combine? Or benched 15+ reps? Sure. But I am not dropping him down my "board" for some workout wonder with limited production. EBF talks about what he saw Blackmon did on the field against good competition (real fire), and that matters more to me than the "underwear olympics".

Wright will be a Top 40 pick.

My main concern with Wright is that he put up his numbers and looked so dominating in a spread offense against Big 12 defenses. We've seen a whole lot of WRs from that conference bust in recent years (Mark Clayton and pretty much every other Oklahoma WR, Limas Sweed and most of the other Texas WRs, Crabtree, etc.). There have been some successes (Jordy Nelson), but overall there have been far more guys who didn't come close to living up to their draft position.

With that as a point of reference, I was really hoping to see Wright show some special physical attributes at the combine to justify his position in the first round. We've actually seen just the opposite. So what is going to make him special at the next level? Does he do anything better than Mark Clayton did coming out?

this time of year you have to filter out the white noise and missinformation that is being spread by 32 different camps/agendas. It would be amusing to have linked all the stories about prospects with weak arm strength, prima donna attitudes, slow 40 times, failed drug tests, poor wonderlick scores, low bench press reps, DUI, etc. I mean we have to talk about something while waiting for the actual draft to happen, and in the 24/7 NFL with the hyper-accelerator chamber that is Twitter and BB's, any nugget from any "source" can set off a minor flurry of people trying to spin it in their favor (and the preponderance of FF owners talking up their players should not be shocking, but i digest)Human nature being what it is, we all look for confirmation of our opinions/bias even when it doesn't exist. As a Wright owner and a holder of many rookie 1st round picks in multiple leagues, I only care where he gets drafted. To a lesser extent, when. It would be better if he goes in the first since that may translate to a sooner opportunity (and indicates the team really wanted him).I'd rather read Matt's scouting report, Bloom's opinion, or one of a half dozen scout sites that have no vested interested who goes where. They just reported what they saw and tried to interpret it to the next level.Would have i preferred if he ran in the 4.4's at the combine? Or benched 15+ reps? Sure. But I am not dropping him down my "board" for some workout wonder with limited production. EBF talks about what he saw Blackmon did on the field against good competition (real fire), and that matters more to me than the "underwear olympics".Wright will be a Top 40 pick.
Good post, but I do question if you can take production in a spread B12 offense simply at face value. Are those stats "real" in the sense that there's a good chance that they will translate to the NFL?I'm an SEC "hater" as a B10 fan. But if you look at a conference that has Mo Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, Brandon Boykin, etc. at CB, its a lot easier to look at good stats and simply say, "he did it on the field against good competition" and ignore the measurables aspect of things.Personally, I like Rueben Randle much more than Wright.

'mbuehner said:
Washington probably grabs him if they can.
lol....with what draft pick?
3.6. The point of this article was that they thought Wright would slip into the 3rd round, no? If he's there I think the Skins might take him, WR is a need (unless they think Garcon and Morgan are long term difference makers, which is crazy).
Garcon/Morgan/Gaffney/2nd rounder on Hankerson last year...I think Washington has more needs than a 3rd round WR.

Here's an alternate way to look at the situation.

If he produced as well as he did while being a fat lazy blob, think what he might be able to do if a team manages to motivate him and get him into great condition?

I totally understand the raising of a red flag in terms of lack of preparation for the most important period in his career, but I wouldn't go crazy with it either. 4 reps? That pretty much says he's spent no significant amount of time in the weight room at all. Which probably means he hasn't put a lot of effort into training for the 40 and other events. And some of those events are SO dependent on proper technique.

Anyway, it easily could be a case of a guy that just isn't as good as his college career would indicate. But it could also be a case of a guy with real talent falling because he wan't prepared, but possibly representing a nice value to some team willing to take a shot (both NFL and fantasy).

I hope enough teams buy into this to cause him to fall to 22. Then I would LOVE the Browns taking Rich at 4. Yea, it'd be naive to dismiss the poor reports this off season, but you can't ignore the proiduct on the field either. Wright's a legit play maker, I'll just be a bit more worried than I would about other players if I see things like hamstring injuries from him in camp. Very worthwhile gamble, especially when you look at the WR's available after him.

we all have our preferences, and WR's under 6' usually do not get drafted in the first round. Off the top of my head, the only ones recently were Harvin, Jackson and Holmes. Greg Jennings, Steve Smith and Wes Welker maybe the only FF WR1 under 6' in recent times, so i can see why these generalizations come from.

The narrative early was GMs were kicking themselves for letting Wallace fall and wouldn't let it happen again. I think the comparison to Cobb/Jennings/Harvin are fair. I don't think he is a perceived "head case" like Jackson and Holmes, and he won't last in the NFL if he doesn't prepare, train and workout. But if he ends up in a good situation (good QB, early field time, mentor older WR), he could develope into a lower end PPR WR1.

There has been a consensus Top 3 WR this entire draft process. That doesn't mean they will be the Top 3 selected, and I could see another GM liking Randle/Hill/Jeffrey more than Wright since they need someone outside the numbers and a RZ threat.

FWIW, Norris just ranked him as his #1 WR in the draft:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40375/60/draft-2012-the-wide-receivers

Silva has him going to CLE at 22, and he could be their WR1 immediately (but probably the worst QB situation I have seen in terms of where he has landed in mocks).

I pretty much dismissed these criticisms of Wright once I saw who the author was.

Nolan Nawrocki is the same guy who relentlessly bashed Cam last year, based on all of his "sources." Can't see Wright lasting past pick 40, with so many teams picking high in the 2nd round having a big need at WR.

I hope enough teams buy into this to cause him to fall to 22. Then I would LOVE the Browns taking Rich at 4. Yea, it'd be naive to dismiss the poor reports this off season, but you can't ignore the proiduct on the field either. Wright's a legit play maker, I'll just be a bit more worried than I would about other players if I see things like hamstring injuries from him in camp. Very worthwhile gamble, especially when you look at the WR's available after him.
I expect him to be there at 22 and he seems a perfect fit for QB like McCoy.

'mbuehner said:
Washington probably grabs him if they can.
lol....with what draft pick?
3.6. The point of this article was that they thought Wright would slip into the 3rd round, no? If he's there I think the Skins might take him, WR is a need (unless they think Garcon and Morgan are long term difference makers, which is crazy).
Garcon/Morgan/Gaffney/2nd rounder on Hankerson last year...I think Washington has more needs than a 3rd round WR.
Probably true but thats sunk money on a lot of dead wood. Of course they paid em so they must think differently.

This all reminds me of Jonathan Dywer couple years back. Looked like the top back in the draft, then Combine/Pro days/etc... and he dropped for many of these same reasons. The actual draft will answer all these queston's I guess.

Pulled the information from his DraftScout profile. Blurb in there about him squatting 550 pounds.

A lot of smokescreens this time of year. Honestly, he does have a puffy body, it's not muscular or well defined at all, leads to me to say if he hits the gym harder, he could be even better down the line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632385

04/09/2012 - NFL DRAFT SCOUT TOP WIDE RECEIVERS: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor, 5-10, 196...As a four-year starter, Wright logged evidence in 50 games that he could scorch college defenses with blink-quick moves and appeared ready to fit into a slot position in the NFL and become a nightmarish matchup for defenses. But in the what-have-you-proven-lately fraternity of NFL scouts, Wright appeared to lose a little luster when his 40-yard time at the combine was announced as only 4.61 seconds. It seemed incongruous compared to game tapes. Some NFL sources told NFLDraftscout.com that Wright's best time at the combine was really 4.49 seconds so they had no concerns. But Wright was upset by the announced time and felt he had to prove something, so at his pro day in March he was timed between 4.41 and 4.46 seconds according to scouts in attendance. That sounds more like the player who holds a share of 10 Baylor career receiving records and set a single-season mark last year with 108 catches for 1,663 yards, 14 touchdown receptions and nine games with more than 100 yards. His career total of 4,004 yards receiving is 1,300 yards more than anyone who preceded him. Wright is a tireless athlete who also played on the Baylor basketball team, squatted more than 550 pounds and reportedly has a vertical jump of 42 inches. He has the natural ability to be a returner but was not showcased there in college. At Pittsburgh High in Texas, Wright was a three-sport sensation as he played quarterback in football, averaged almost 25 points a game in basketball and won the state championship with a meet record triple-jump of 50 feet, 8?? inches in 2008. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Pulled the information from his DraftScout profile. Blurb in there about him squatting 550 pounds.

A lot of smokescreens this time of year. Honestly, he does have a puffy body, it's not muscular or well defined at all, leads to me to say if he hits the gym harder, he could be even better down the line.
If he hasn't hit the gym when he was poor what makes you think he will hit the gym when he is rich?

If he hasn't hit the gym when he was poor what makes you think he will hit the gym when he is rich?
Logical fallacy, but i'll play along:Money. Maturity. Professionalism.

Already said that he will have to work to stay in the NFL, because everybody has to put in the effort. He may have been able to "get by" in college by not putting in the extra work (speculation, but addressing the nay-sayers) on superior talent, QB and scheme... but the NFL is different. I don't think he is a Diva or a headcase, so I think he will be fine.

Poor work ethic = bust. I hope he can prove otherwise, but right now I'd be cautious. All the talent in the world won't stop lazyness.

and i now like his landing spot in TEN... Locker has the arm and mobility, plus DEF will have to account for Britt and CJ.

Would have i preferred if he ran in the 4.4's at the combine? Or benched 15+ reps? Sure. But I am not dropping him down my "board" for some workout wonder with limited production. EBF talks about what he saw Blackmon did on the field against good competition (real fire), and that matters more to me than the "underwear olympics".
Good call. Despite his flaws, Wright will end up as the #3 WR on my board simply because nobody else besides Floyd and Blackmon appears to have legitimate first round talent. There are some red flags to be sure, but the upside is worth the risk. I think you're on the money when you suggest that what happens on the field matters most. It's why I've never wavered on Blackmon or bought the Tannehill hype. The workout numbers never tell the whole story.

He has a lot of competition in TEN. How do people see the lineup shaping up? Does this mean Britt is not healing well? Or do they not like Nate and Damian Williams very much?

I have never rated Damian Williams, so he doesn't even factor into the equation for me.

I see Britt as the #1 and Wright as the #2.

IMO Wright is a better version of what the Titans already had in Nate Washington and Lavelle Hawkins. He is very similar to Hawkins in particular, but better at everything.

He has a lot of competition in TEN. How do people see the lineup shaping up? Does this mean Britt is not healing well? Or do they not like Nate and Damian Williams very much?
Nate embraced the slot last year and had a good year, for him. He will stay put, Wright def is split out wide and Damian goes back to where he belongs...

Not sure about Wright's work ethic.

But I think he's the perfect fit in Tennessee. He is shift, quick, plays very fast, can play inside or outside, and is the type of receiver Tennessee hasn't had since Derrick Mason.

It's a great pick for the Titans if the laziness rumors are false.

Titans have a big, fast, physical receiver outside in Britt.

They have a quick slot receiver in the mold of Mason in Wright

They have tight end who can create big mismatches in Cook.

Then you have Washington, who has proven that he can rack up yardage, get open, and be a solid possession receiver.

Then you throw in an explosive RB.....

Jake Locker has all the tools any QB could ask for. (Aside from maybe a goalline/short yardage back. I hope Titans will grab one in 4th round or so)

Bye Bye value on Kendall Wright. Increased value for Locker
I agree that I like Locker's prospects for the coming year, why do you downgrade Wright's value? Britt is coming off an ACL injury and has had off the field troubles of his own and is no guarantee to be the #1 WR should he regress or have issues getting back to pre-injury form. NONE of the other WR's on the Titans roster have any where near the skillset or big play ability as Wright. I don't think Tennessee was a bad landing spot for him. He has weapons around him in Britt, CJ, and Cook and a young QB to grow with. And he'll probably be getting a lot of quality snaps with Locker in camps since they will probably bring Britt back slowly.I like this spot for Wright and he may have even more value than Blackmon since Blackmon doesn't have a QB to throw him the ball.

Careful. Washington is no stud, but Williams is a decent WR too.

Either can make it difficult for Wright to prove he was at least equally responsible for his stats at Baylor.

Look for Williams to start opposite Britt and Wright to work his way in to the slot . a la Harvin's best value in MN.

I see Wright being rotated in as the 4th WR option this season, and eventually developing in to the #2/3 when Washington's contract becomes too heavy to lift (2 years probably).
I have never rated Damian Williams, so he doesn't even factor into the equation for me. I see Britt as the #1 and Wright as the #2. IMO Wright is a better version of what the Titans already had in Nate Washington and Lavelle Hawkins. He is very similar to Hawkins in particular, but better at everything.
Agreed, but not yet. Washington, Britt, and Cook are the likely starters with Williams on the field a lot. I expect Wright to rotate in with Williams a bit or be on the field in the slot when Cook comes off.
They have a quick slot receiver in the mold of Mason in WrightJake Locker has all the tools any QB could ask for. (Aside from maybe a goalline/short yardage back. I hope Titans will grab one in 4th round or so)
I never viewed Mason as a slot receiver.
Bye Bye value on Kendall Wright. Increased value for Locker
I agree that I like Locker's prospects for the coming year, why do you downgrade Wright's value? Britt is coming off an ACL injury and has had off the field troubles of his own and is no guarantee to be the #1 WR should he regress or have issues getting back to pre-injury form. NONE of the other WR's on the Titans roster have any where near the skillset or big play ability as Wright. I don't think Tennessee was a bad landing spot for him. He has weapons around him in Britt, CJ, and Cook and a young QB to grow with. And he'll probably be getting a lot of quality snaps with Locker in camps since they will probably bring Britt back slowly.I like this spot for Wright and he may have even more value than Blackmon since Blackmon doesn't have a QB to throw him the ball.
Not every receiver taken in round 1 has to be a super-star. There are different roles an offense needs filled to be effective, obviously. Look at Arizona grabbing Floyd. Sure, he's there to capitalize on Fitz getting double-teamed, but Andre Roberts is useful there as well. The Titans have a #1 receiver in Britt. They have an emerging talent at TE in Cook. They have two more servicable WR in Washington and WIlliams. And they have Johnson. Somewhat surprisingly, the Titans have a very nice set of skill players (best in the division, at least in terms of useful depth).

Users who are viewing this thread