What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would Halladay or Lee be worth..... (1 Viewer)

Thunderlips

Footballguy
If the Phils are struggling near the deadline.....should they think about moving one of them to A) save some money to resign Cole Hamels (a better move for the future) and B) add some MLB ready and elite lower level minor league prospects in an effort to get younger and cheaper.

What's either one hypothetically worth?....

There would be a very limited number of teams who would be (a) willing to take on the salary obligations and (b) meet the criteria of the pitchers' no-trade clauses.

Of the two, Halladay would probably be more desirable. Lee's deal runs to an achievable $27.5M vesting option in 2016 when Lee will be 37 years old. Halladay's contract has much less money remaining on it.

I don't see the Phillies folding this year. They're totally committed to the current win-now mode. Trading one of their aces for prospects won't help them during this window.

Even if the Phils crumble I don't see them moving either one of them, dust themselves off and get after it again next year. I think they'll find a way to get the Hamels contract done, they may go at it with an inflated payroll in 2013 with Utley and Halladay still on the books but they'll find a way to keep him around. Then they'll use the Utley and Halladay $ to extend Pence after 2013 too.

Users who are viewing this thread