What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another raider eating his way out? (1 Viewer)

Cipherchris

Footballguy
Been hearing repeatedly that McClain is looking more like a bust. Who will replace him if he just take the russel route?

I thought this recent Rotoworld blurb actually seemed pretty optimistic:

Raiders MLB Rolando McClain underwent stem-cell therapy to address chronic pain in his knee and ankle this offseason.

"I’ve been having two seasons of nagging pain in my knee," conceded McClain, who says he now "feels a lot better." A radiologist in Gulf Shores injected fat cells from other parts of McClain's body into the knee and the area of a previous high ankle sprain. McClain is now working out five days per week, and says he's able to sprint "with hardly any pain at all." Apr 22 - 2:53 PM

Hows his legal trouble going? don't think that makes him a bust, but as long as he keeps the gun at home he should be fine right?

I just got this from the BS report with Mike Lombardi, that's what spark this question, "He is one hamburger away from being an DL". So he's either overweight or out of shape, or both

I thought this recent Rotoworld blurb actually seemed pretty optimistic:Raiders MLB Rolando McClain underwent stem-cell therapy to address chronic pain in his knee and ankle this offseason."I’ve been having two seasons of nagging pain in my knee," conceded McClain, who says he now "feels a lot better." A radiologist in Gulf Shores injected fat cells from other parts of McClain's body into the knee and the area of a previous high ankle sprain. McClain is now working out five days per week, and says he's able to sprint "with hardly any pain at all." Apr 22 - 2:53 PM
I don't see how this is optimism? a stem-cell shot...sounds tricky to recover from

I thought this recent Rotoworld blurb actually seemed pretty optimistic:Raiders MLB Rolando McClain underwent stem-cell therapy to address chronic pain in his knee and ankle this offseason."I’ve been having two seasons of nagging pain in my knee," conceded McClain, who says he now "feels a lot better." A radiologist in Gulf Shores injected fat cells from other parts of McClain's body into the knee and the area of a previous high ankle sprain. McClain is now working out five days per week, and says he's able to sprint "with hardly any pain at all." Apr 22 - 2:53 PM
I don't see how this is optimism? a stem-cell shot...sounds tricky to recover from
Was having problems with nagging pain. Now, after therapy, he's working out more and able to sprint without pain. I don't know how that isn't better.

Was having problems with nagging pain. Now, after therapy, he's working out more and able to sprint without pain. I don't know how that isn't better.
Any sneaky value in a back up here?

Not definite yet, but the odds are he won't have to serve his 180 days until after the season. That said, it seems like Uncle Roger will want to add some games.

Count me in the minority, but the combination of so-so production (in real life- his fantasy production over the last 8 weeks was fantastic), "stem-cell" therapy for his knee (!?), and now the legal trouble, with little remorse for his actions, has me in sell mode.

The previous Raider administration was fond of Travis Goethel, who apparently lined up at MLB this past week, but this is a new year in Raiderville, so he may or may not be the only candidate.

Count me in the minority, but the combination of so-so production (in real life- his fantasy production over the last 8 weeks was fantastic), "stem-cell" therapy for his knee (!?), and now the legal trouble, with little remorse for his actions, has me in sell mode.

The previous Raider administration was fond of Travis Goethel, who apparently lined up at MLB this past week, but this is a new year in Raiderville, so he may or may not be the only candidate.
This is how you lose leagues.You should have been selling on McClain either at the end of last season....or when these charges came to light. You have to sit tight on him now, selling now is ridiculous as you will only get cents in the dollar.

I like Goethel as well, he is someone I have tried to stash in almost all of my deep dynasty leagues. He has been unlucky with injuries but I think he could impress now with a real opportunity.

Goethel seems to be injury proneWhat do you guys make of the rookie?
He's an OLB, not a MLB. Don't think he'll be successful at switching to MLB...especially not in his rookie year. He also can't cover...but McClain had the same problem in the beginning so [shrugs]

This is how you lose leagues.

You should have been selling on McClain either at the end of last season....or when these charges came to light. You have to sit tight on him now, selling now is ridiculous as you will only get cents in the dollar.
That's usually correct BUT if he really has to spend 180 days in jail he will probably be suspended by Goodell and he could be released by the RaidersThere's a new regime down there and they don't want rotten apples anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
'Young 8 said:
This is how you lose leagues.

You should have been selling on McClain either at the end of last season....or when these charges came to light. You have to sit tight on him now, selling now is ridiculous as you will only get cents in the dollar.
That's usually correct BUT if he really has to spend 180 days in jail he will probably be suspended by Goodell and he could be released by the RaidersThere's a new regime down there and they don't want rotten apples anymore
If you are correct which you very well could be, to me that's even more reason to hold on to him. Based on what was most likely invested to acquire McClain (late 1st round rookie pick in 2010), if all that came to pass your best move would be to sit tight on him until he gets his next shot in the league......unless of course you can get a good price for him.

Forget the legal trouble. On the field is the real problem. And its not his physical shape, or being fat. By all accounts he is a gym rat and film freak.

But the numbers aren't there. And in that defense, the MLB should get tackles. The Raiders D has put up MLB and SS numbers for years. Average players at both positions have been great fantasy starters. Bad run D means lots of chances, which makes his lack of tackles really concerning. I don't know if his lack of speed is the issue, or if he is a 3-4 MLB that can't adapt. But with the field time he has gotten, better numbers should be expected from even an average MLB. Which leads me to believe he is below average. And with a new front office and a big cap number, you may be investing in a guy with no job security facing jail time.

If someone wants to toss him in a deal, or take a late 2nd rookie pick, worth the risk. Because there is the chance the light goes on, or Allens new defense helps him. It happens. At this point, I would hold, because you won't get much. May as well hope he comes around.

Forget the legal trouble. On the field is the real problem. And its not his physical shape, or being fat. By all accounts he is a gym rat and film freak.But the numbers aren't there. And in that defense, the MLB should get tackles. The Raiders D has put up MLB and SS numbers for years. Average players at both positions have been great fantasy starters. Bad run D means lots of chances, which makes his lack of tackles really concerning. I don't know if his lack of speed is the issue, or if he is a 3-4 MLB that can't adapt. But with the field time he has gotten, better numbers should be expected from even an average MLB. Which leads me to believe he is below average. And with a new front office and a big cap number, you may be investing in a guy with no job security facing jail time. If someone wants to toss him in a deal, or take a late 2nd rookie pick, worth the risk. Because there is the chance the light goes on, or Allens new defense helps him. It happens. At this point, I would hold, because you won't get much. May as well hope he comes around.
Thanks for chiming in Massraider, your opinion on everything Raiders is greatly appreciated.What is your take on Goethel? I'd love them to give Goethel a shot as he seemed to be creating quite a positive buzz in each of his first 2 seasons before succumbing to injury. I think labelling someone injury prone because of a couple of injuries is unwise, he has stayed firmly on my radar and have stashed him on almost every deep IDP roster I have. As you said, even an average MLB should put up great numbers. What is your scouting report on Goethel look like? Got any thoughts on Stupar or Burris yet?

Forget the legal trouble. On the field is the real problem. And its not his physical shape, or being fat. By all accounts he is a gym rat and film freak. the numbers aren't there. And in that defense, the MLB should get tackles. The Raiders D has put up MLB and SS numbers for years. Average players at both positions have been great fantasy starters. Bad run D means lots of chances, which makes his lack of tackles really concerning. I don't know if his lack of speed is the issue, or if he is a 3-4 MLB that can't adapt. But with the field time he has gotten, better numbers should be expected from even an average MLB. Which leads me to believe he is below average. And with a new front office and a big cap number, you may be investing in a guy with no job security facing jail time. If someone wants to toss him in a deal, or take a late 2nd rookie pick, worth the risk. Because there is the chance the light goes on, or Allens new defense helps him. It happens. At this point, I would hold, because you won't get much. May as well hope he comes around.
Thanks for chiming in Massraider, your opinion on everything Raiders is greatly appreciated.What is your take on Goethel? I'd love them to give Goethel a shot as he seemed to be creating quite a positive buzz in each of his first 2 seasons before succumbing to injury. I think labelling someone injury prone because of a couple of injuries is unwise, he has stayed firmly on my radar and have stashed him on almost every deep IDP roster I have. As you said, even an average MLB should put up great numbers. What is your scouting report on Goethel look like? Got any thoughts on Stupar or Burris yet?
I think Stupar is probably PS material. Burris is intriguing because there are two OLBs in front of him that are eminently replaceable. It's so tough see how this shakes out, because of the new regime. We don't know yet what they think of McClain and a guy like Curry, who, if he gets nickel snaps, could lead the team tackles, or get a dumb foul, and be in the doghouse all year.Goethel is going to have a tough time getting PT in front of McClain, Curry Wheeler, and Burris.

Coach Dennis Allen indicated the Raiders will let the legal process play out before taking any action involving MLB Rolando McClain.

Allen has been impressed with McClain in OTAs. "He has taken command of the huddle. He is moving around really good. I have been pleased with everything I have seen of Rolando this whole offseason," said Allen. "He is actually ahead. He is really smart and undertstands the (new) defense really well."

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2012/05/22/coach-allen-transcript-after-tuesdays-practice/

Coach Dennis Allen on a few related topics

Q: Goethel’s a guy who’s flashed on two different defensive coordinators in two years and then gotten hurt and not been able to play. What have you seen so far?

A: Well I think if he can stay healthy I think he’s got a chance to be a pretty good player for us. I’ve been pleased with the way he’s been out here working and we’ll continue to have him get better one day at a time and if he does that he’ll have a chance.

Q: Is Burris strictly on the outside?

A: I think right now with the learning curve we’re going to keep him outside LB and let him get his feet wet and then we’ll figure where he’s at probably closer to training camp, and even closer to the beginning of the season

Forget the legal trouble. On the field is the real problem. And its not his physical shape, or being fat. By all accounts he is a gym rat and film freak.

But the numbers aren't there. And in that defense, the MLB should get tackles. The Raiders D has put up MLB and SS numbers for years. Average players at both positions have been great fantasy starters. Bad run D means lots of chances, which makes his lack of tackles really concerning. I don't know if his lack of speed is the issue, or if he is a 3-4 MLB that can't adapt. But with the field time he has gotten, better numbers should be expected from even an average MLB. Which leads me to believe he is below average. And with a new front office and a big cap number, you may be investing in a guy with no job security facing jail time.

If someone wants to toss him in a deal, or take a late 2nd rookie pick, worth the risk. Because there is the chance the light goes on, or Allens new defense helps him. It happens. At this point, I would hold, because you won't get much. May as well hope he comes around.
Didn't McClain turn the corner statistically in the latter part of 2011? In his last six games he averaged 7 solos (high=9, low=5) and also had four sacks. Seemed to be coming into his own.

I considered trying to trade Rolando after his rookie season, which was as bad as I have seen a starting MLB play. But when they canned Marshall and his read/react style that did not fit McClain, I decided to hold on and see if he played better if they let him go downhill more aggressively. Still didn't like the way he looked, but once the gun charges came up, I knew I would not be able to get decent value for him. I figure I am left hoping he can salvage something.

Users who are viewing this thread