What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***David Wilson Bandwagon*** (2 Viewers)

Wilson is my favourite kind of prospect, someone with mad skills drafted to an awesome team and other people are afraid of drafting him because there's a mediocre to decent back in front of him on the depth chart. I'll be looking forward to drafting this future top 5 fantasy RB in all my rookie drafts in the mid-late first round.

I am not on the Wilson bandwagon. I think he has great tools for a RB but lacks the vision and patience needed to be a great pro.

Personally I like the fact that he makes Bradshaw cheaper to buy, because he isn't going anywhere (as long as he is healthy).

Wilson is my favourite kind of prospect, someone with mad skills drafted to an awesome team and other people are afraid of drafting him because there's a mediocre to decent back in front of him on the depth chart. I'll be looking forward to drafting this future top 5 fantasy RB in all my rookie drafts in the mid-late first round.
Amen.

Giant homer with pretty strong faith in Reese. Didn't love the pick when made but it's growing one. Seems like a determined, personable kid who's got raw talent. Can't speak for his vision but none of us can yet.

What I DO like is his situation overall. Eli is a top 4 qb to me, with receiving weapons. The line was spotty last year but hopefully shored up. What I want to know about are his pass catching skills, because that's where he can go from good value to great as a safety valve with room to make plays in space.

I'm excited and on the wagon but with measured optimism. Reese hasn't been stellar with backs but I don't know if braddy was picked up on his watch(he would have been on acorsis staff if not). Dj ware, Andre brown and Scott all showed flashes but were pedestrian for the most part. But all had injuries so there's that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradshaw's foot problems are chronic and aren't going away anytime soon. Giants generally don't draft Running Backs high, so I expect Wilson to be the feature back sooner than later.

Sell me on him.

Will his blocking be an issue or is that all predraft hype? I REALLY like his inside running ability.

I'm optimistic but cautious.

There are some common things that are said about Coughlin that I think aren't valid:

1) He won't play fumblers. Both Bradshaw and Jacobs have had issues with fumbling. It mainly led to changes in which back got the starting series. In this case Bradshaw will get most starting series unless he reverts back to his fumbling ways, is hurt or Wilson just dominates and takes the job. Coughlin doesn't have much choice but to play a couple of RBs with Bradshaw being on a pitch count with his feet.

2) Coughlin doesn't play rookies. During the 2007 season Ross, Smith, Alford, Boss and Bradshaw all contributed. Nicks and JPP played some as rookies. Again, Coughlin probably won't have much a choice and will have give Wilson some playing time.

Looks like a RB that doesn't need a really big hole, I like that. What scares me is him running around in the backfield to make something out of nothing. That worked at times in college but won't in the NFL, since he's no Barry Sanders.

He had 1709 yards on 290 carries and 9 rushing TDs. That TD total seems low for that many yards. Did QB Logan Thomas 11 TDs and Josh Oglesby 6 TDs vulture Wilson? Or was he not the goal-line RB? Hope it's not a sign that he's going to have Harold Green stat lines in the NFL, while not so bad for actual football. That'd be bad for fantasy football.

The landing spot has my attention, was not a fan of Wilson throughout the process but I have a hard time arguing with Jerry Reese or the Giants when it comes to RB's.

I'm not in a spot to draft him but if he were there in the middle of the 1st I'd look at him.

2) Coughlin doesn't play rookies. During the 2007 season Ross, Smith, Alford, Boss and Bradshaw all contributed. Nicks and JPP played some as rookies. Again, Coughlin probably won't have much a choice and will have give Wilson some playing time.
That's only a concern for redraft where it's a concern for almost all rookies.

Any projections on the split between Wilson/Bradshaw? Bradshaw's good, I don't see him vanishing (unless that foot acts up again) -- for this year, do people think Wilson outright wins the gig and gets 65+% of the touches?

I like it becuase of the NYG track record of picks.

I figure you needt o be patient in dyno. In re-draft Ill pass, and like someone else already said, should lower the price for Ahmad in re-draft.

I have 1.04 in a league, considering him vs the 2 QBs

Good luck with that.

I'm conflicted; I really like both Doug Martin and David Wilson.

I've got the feeling like Martin's a safer pick between the two, but Wilson's got that super star homerun pick potential.

Good luck with that.
Where should he be going then? He went 1.07 in one league and is there at 1.07 right now (pick pending) in my other league. Mid-late first seems dead on to me.

Good luck with that.
Yeah, I can't see that happening either.I think a lot of people are going to be faced with their decision on him at around the 1.06 spot and it may come down to preference.

1.04-1.04 is probably Richardson, Martin, Luck, and either Blackmon, or RGIII in some shape or fashion, depending on leagues.

I can see 1.06 being a Floyd/Wilson/possibly QB type of decision.

I'm not sure which way I would go right now.

There are some common things that are said about Coughlin that I think aren't valid:

1) He won't play fumblers. Both Bradshaw and Jacobs have had issues with fumbling. It mainly led to changes in which back got the starting series. In this case Bradshaw will get most starting series unless he reverts back to his fumbling ways, is hurt or Wilson just dominates and takes the job. Coughlin doesn't have much choice but to play a couple of RBs with Bradshaw being on a pitch count with his feet.
What other choices did he have outside of Bradshaw and Jacobs? I like Wilson but if he doesn't fix the fumbling issue his touches will be limited as long as Coughlin has other options.

What other choices did he have outside of Bradshaw and Jacobs? I like Wilson but if he doesn't fix the fumbling issue his touches will be limited as long as Coughlin has other options.
He could have stuck with the one fumbling less, rather than using both. I think he won't have much of a choice, but to use Wilson or one of the other younger backs. I can't see Ware being anything more than the #3.

Good luck with that.
Where should he be going then? He went 1.07 in one league and is there at 1.07 right now (pick pending) in my other league. Mid-late first seems dead on to me.
I don't play in ppr leagues, but I don't see him lasting past 1.06 in most leagues.

As a VT Hokie I can tell you that you should be excited. This kid is strong and fast. Track athlete ... I think he won the ACC 110 hurdles... but he's not soft like some track guys.

He's better than Ryan Williams or Kevin Jones when they came out of school, and both of them were pretty good until getting injured before their careers ever got started. Wilson's game is much better for taking the bruising the NFL dishes out. Just pray he holds onto the ball in pileups. Susceptible to be stripped.

You guys are going to kill my Skins with him rushing at us. Skins can't tackle anyone.

As a VT Hokie I can tell you that you should be excited. This kid is strong and fast. Track athlete ... I think he won the ACC 110 hurdles... but he's not soft like some track guys.He's better than Ryan Williams or Kevin Jones when they came out of school, and both of them were pretty good until getting injured before their careers ever got started. Wilson's game is much better for taking the bruising the NFL dishes out. Just pray he holds onto the ball in pileups. Susceptible to be stripped.You guys are going to kill my Skins with him rushing at us. Skins can't tackle anyone.
Eagles tend to arm tackle too. Will love seeing him tear through them. Eagles and Cowboys have strengthened CB recently, good to see the Giants work to improve an area where the division rivals are weakest, by drafting a RB and signing a more talented TE in Bennett than they've had in recent years.

Good luck with that.
I picked him Saturday at 1.07 in Hyper 1ETA Draft order:

Richardson

Blackmon

Martin

Floyd

Luck

RGIII

Wilson

This is a PPR league

Da'Rel Scott. Don't like Wilson's fumbling and coughlin will bench him if he does.

Da'Rel Scott. Don't like Wilson's fumbling and coughlin will bench him if he does.
If the Giants were that worried about Wilson's fumbling would they have drafted him #32 overall?

If the Giants were that worried about Wilson's fumbling would they have drafted him #32 overall?
Probably not but all it takes is 2 (one will be forgiven) and he ends up like Ridley did during the Patriots playoff run (only in the regular season). I can't afford a guy like that.

I'm not super high on him but with the 1.06 and Bradshaw I'll take him. 100% sure he drops to the 1.06 in my league.

Don't know if it makes a difference but statements that the Giants wanted Doug Martin at #32 and the Bucs swooped in an took him might not be accurate. Eric from Big Blue Interactive (he runs the site), was stating well before the draft that his reliable sources within the Giants organization had Wilson as their #2 RB and were targeting him all along at #32 if he was there, unless someone else fell that they couldn't pass up. Reese said they liked Martin, but had Wilson higher.

The Bucs might not have had to trade up to get Martin. Though it wouldn't be a shock if the Rams, Colts or Ravens were to take Martin if he was there in the 2nd round.

Probably not but all it takes is 2 (one will be forgiven) and he ends up like Ridley did during the Patriots playoff run (only in the regular season). I can't afford a guy like that.
You think after two fumbles the Giants would completely pine their 1st round draft pick? I agree that continued fumbling could hamper Wilson's playing time, but unless it's a cronic issue it won't land him on the bench behind Da'Rel Scott.

If the Giants can get Tiki over fumbleitis, they can get anyone over it.

If the Giants can get Tiki over fumbleitis, they can get anyone over it.
Exactly.From what I've read about Wilson, it's often been his penchant for fighting for every yard that has led to fumbling issues.

I'm sure the Giants staff will find the right balance for him to be effective.

The Giants have the same RB coach that Tiki credits with helping him get over his fumbling issues. It just bothers me when Giants RBs even have an issue with them, shouldn't they be coached from day one so that it doesn't become an issue. Maybe I'm over simplifying it. Perhaps how to hold the ball and get it tucked in from the hand-off is different for each player, to do it fluidly, without having to think about it takes more reps and adjustment than I think. Maybe it's like a golfer or batter's swing. Or maybe it's as simple as it is coached but it comes down to the players focus on keeping the ball safe during in the heat of a game.

With Tiki, there was a point I thought they need to have a football shaped notch molded into each side of his chest protector.

Good luck with that.
I don't play in ppr leagues, but I don't see him lasting past 1.06 in most leagues.
Well, the 1.6 is the definition of mid-first round in most leagues, and he's only gone at that point in earlier in 3 of 9 drafts according to the Shark Pool "Post your 2012 rookie draft" thread.

Really depends on your league but he should be no worse that RB3 off the board. It all depends on when and where Blackmon, Floyd, Luck and RG3 go. Wilson could go 7, but that's about as long as he should last.

'netnalp said:
Though it wouldn't be a shock if the Rams, Colts or Ravens were to take Martin if he was there in the 2nd round.
Despite the Rams pimping their love for Quick, no way they passed on Martin at 33. Quick would've been there with another one of their picks early in that round. Wilson is going to be the shiznizzy

Giants rookie David Wilson will be Ahmad Bradshaw's 'project'

Ahmad Bradshaw has led the New York Giants in rushing the past two seasons, but he plans on taking another leadership role with running back David Wilson, the team's first-round draft pick.

"I plan on using him as my project," Bradshaw told the Giants' official website Monday. "He's a very talented running back and he's from Virginia. Two Virginia guys in this running back corps is going to be dangerous. I expect to use him as my project to get him better, to get him smarter and just to mature him a little bit, just to help him understand the NFL."

Wilson, drafted out of Virginia Tech, carried the ball 290 times for nine touchdowns and 1,709 yards in the 2011 season.

Bradshaw, selected by the Giants in the seventh round of the 2007 NFL Draft out of Marshall, rushed for nine touchdowns and 659 yards last season. He missed four games last season after suffering a stress fracture in his foot. He ran for 1,235 yards and eight touchdowns in 2010.

One of the first things Wilson will have to learn starting next week at the Giants' minicamp is New York's extensive playbook.

"As a Giant running back, it's one of the toughest things," Bradshaw said. "I don't see a lot of guys coming in and being able to grasp all of the different things you can do as a running back. You just have so many pass protections, so many pass route terms, so many run terms."

"That's when the word 'job' comes into play," Bradshaw explained. "When you first come in, you see all of these guys and you know it's strictly football. You don't have to worry about school and grades and different things. Now it's just straight football. You worry about this playbook and doing the right things, so when it comes time for you to make a play or come out to practice and be in the right position. Coming in, you have a lot of different things going through your head and you're trying to make the coaches happy, meeting new teammates. You worry about a little bit of everything when you first come in. That's why it's a good thing to come in and just be level-headed and be ready to learn."

from Greg Cosell on Twitter:

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosellNot surprised NYG took Wilson. Like pick. Gives them most explosive element they've had at RB in quite a while. And Coughlin wants to run.

'netnalp said:
Don't know if it makes a difference but statements that the Giants wanted Doug Martin at #32 and the Bucs swooped in an took him might not be accurate. Eric from Big Blue Interactive (he runs the site), was stating well before the draft that his reliable sources within the Giants organization had Wilson as their #2 RB and were targeting him all along at #32 if he was there, unless someone else fell that they couldn't pass up. Reese said they liked Martin, but had Wilson higher.The Bucs might not have had to trade up to get Martin. Though it wouldn't be a shock if the Rams, Colts or Ravens were to take Martin if he was there in the 2nd round.
Not going to dispute that the Giants may have wanted Wilson, but Tampa definitely had to move up for Martin.

'netnalp said:
Don't know if it makes a difference but statements that the Giants wanted Doug Martin at #32 and the Bucs swooped in an took him might not be accurate. Eric from Big Blue Interactive (he runs the site), was stating well before the draft that his reliable sources within the Giants organization had Wilson as their #2 RB and were targeting him all along at #32 if he was there, unless someone else fell that they couldn't pass up. Reese said they liked Martin, but had Wilson higher.The Bucs might not have had to trade up to get Martin. Though it wouldn't be a shock if the Rams, Colts or Ravens were to take Martin if he was there in the 2nd round.
Not going to dispute that the Giants may have wanted Wilson, but Tampa definitely had to move up for Martin.

Good luck with that.
Well, the 1.6 is the definition of mid-first round in most leagues, and he's only gone at that point in earlier in 3 of 9 drafts according to the Shark Pool "Post your 2012 rookie draft" thread.
Maybe it's just a case of misinterpretation, but when I see "mid-late first" I read that as "second half".

Im jumping on this train.

My ticket reads Bradshaw owner with other RB concerns adn 1.07, 1.10 picks.

Hmm.

Ideal world I grab him at 7 and Jeffrey at 1.10.

The more I think this over the more sense it makes and the more likely it doesnt happen for me.

Users who are viewing this thread