Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Jeff Pasquino

***David Wilson Bandwagon***

RIP to David Wilson Football Career... It's a sad Day as I just got the news and im sure other Wilson fans like myself are devastated..... Im not gonna lie I was one of the first guys to get on Davids Jock no pun intended and really enjoyed the Guy in College at VT and had he not had Neck problems would have developed into a fine pro... It's such a shame to see a player this talented have to retire at 23 years of age, reminds me of Jahvid Best. Two of my favorite players that had their careers cut short before they really began. David seemed like a Good person, friend and teammate although I didn't know to much about him from what I saw it was all positive things. I just hope he can have a successful life after football and almost shed a tear after the news..... This goes beyond football as this is a Man's life and hopefully he will still be ok to do the things he want's to do and enjoy doing outside of football... Let me leave you with one of my all time favorite Vids of my Bud David Wilson... guy was amazing runner and had big things coming his way before the neck inj derailed it.. Sometimes it just seems like it's not fair sometimes... I know I got a lot of flak from other posters because I backed this guy so much, and guys like Jeff p, Khy, Eminence and myself were probably some of his strongest supporters... I leave this forum with this vid and maybe this forum should be put to rest to In Davids Name for his sake... Very sad day for David Wilson Fans...... Enjoy this clip though as it really shows the kind of heart, determination this kid had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bO123KOEM

Off the bandwagon of Wilson, the player.

Firmly on the bandwagon of Wilson, the person.

Wilson to pursue Olympic Triple Jump career

Good for him :thumbup:

David Wilson’s NFL career is over, but that doesn’t mean his athletic career is.

The New York Giants’ first-round pick in 2012 gracefully announced his retirement from the NFL two weeks ago after doctors advised him that he shouldn’t risk further contact that could aggravate a serious neck injury suffered in a game last October.

In his farewell speech, Wilson said “I’ll set another dream and be great at that because I always look at trying to be great at whatever I do,” and now we know what that next goal is.

The Olympics.

Speaking with For The Win from Citi Field, where he was addressing a group of New York City school students as part of the Citi Kids program, Wilson outlined his plan to try and make it to Rio in the triple jump.

Even though last season’s injury put his football career in jeopardy well before his training camp setback last month, Wilson said he hadn’t been thinking about returning to the track until the past few weeks.“I’ll be going back to school to get my degree and training for the Olympics,” Wilson said. “That’s something I really want to aspire to do now. I was the national champion twice in high school junior and senior year and was an All-American in college [at Virginia Tech].

“When I was involved in football, that’s all I was thinking about was football,” Wilson said. “That’s not bad in my situation, because the person I am, I know I can make track. I’m strong enough to know that there’s more to life than that. Some people might have taken it more heavy if they took the same approach I had as just focusing on one thing.”

Wilson’s career best triple jump, a 16.20m performance that placed him sixth at the 2011 NCAA Championships, would have placed him tenth in the final heat of the U.S. Olympic Trials in 2012. With full-time track training and without the physical rigors of football, it’s possible that at only 23 years old he could certainly be in contention for a spot on the team in two years.

Wilson said that he hasn’t yet decided on where he’ll be doing his training, as he’s waiting to sort out some potential broadcasting opportunities and then pick a location based on those.

“Whatever door that opens up for me, the best door for me as far as another career will be where I train at.”

Edited by gianmarco

yeah, but his pass protection is still a liability.

seriously, great for David.

On 10/12/2013 at 0:10 PM, Nemesis said:

As I follow this, I have a personal attachment to this situation as I sit here 30 days post-op from a neck surgery to alleviate stenosis in my own neck.

However, my neck stenosis was a little different in that it was forminal stenosis (narrowing of the nerve holes exiting the SIDES of each vertebrae) as opposed to David Wilson's spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal cord column in the BACK of a person's neck). The surgery that I had was a 3 level ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion) of the 4th, 5th, and 6th cervical discs where they went in thru the front of my neck and removed 3 discs and inserted plastic spacers where the discs used to be and immobilized it with titanium bracket/screws. From what I've heard and read, Peyton Manning actually had a 1 level ACDF surgery the year that he sat out, but it was never reported or published as a "fusion".....it was always reported that he had 3 or 4 neck surgeries.

In David Wilson's case, I have to say that Spinal Stenosis is much more dangerous b/c it involves the spinal cord and the risk of possible paralysis. In his case, I think it is his VERTEBRAE......not a slipped or ruptured DISC that could cause impingement on the spinal cord. So I don't know the surgical procedure that they are talking about performing. (does anybody know the actual procedure that has been presented to him?)

Also, I do believe that Spinal Stenosis is what ended Mike Alstott's career.

Nemesis,  I just found out that i need to have a anterior cervical discectomy and fusion c3-c7.  I have had 2 ACL reconstructions, 4 other knee surgeries and recently my rotator cuff repaired.  I am looking for a comparison to these surgeries to see what rehab and pain levels would be,  The shoulder surgery was the most painful of these surgeries by far for me.  I need to prepare myself for this cervical surgery.  Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.  Once I heal from this I need a posterior spinal fusion and laminectomy.  and finally a total knee replacement.  My doctor advised me to get the neck done first due to how severe the stenosis is.  I think I will have to get a lightning protection suit after all this is done. lol.

33 minutes ago, Valjean said:

Nemesis,  I just found out that i need to have a anterior cervical discectomy and fusion c3-c7.  I have had 2 ACL reconstructions, 4 other knee surgeries and recently my rotator cuff repaired.  I am looking for a comparison to these surgeries to see what rehab and pain levels would be,  The shoulder surgery was the most painful of these surgeries by far for me.  I need to prepare myself for this cervical surgery.  Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.  Once I heal from this I need a posterior spinal fusion and laminectomy.  and finally a total knee replacement.  My doctor advised me to get the neck done first due to how severe the stenosis is.  I think I will have to get a lightning protection suit after all this is done. lol.

What NFL team did you play for?  

Holy cow, major vibes to you.. Best of luck and speedy recovery

29 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

What NFL team did you play for?  

Holy cow, major vibes to you.. Best of luck and speedy recovery

FDNY 9/11 Firefighter

Edited by Valjean
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Valjean said:

FDNY 9/11 Firefighter

Well damn, thank you for sacrificing your body for your community.  ::hat tip::

Edited by tone1oc
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

Well damn, thank you for sacrificing your body for your community.  ::hat tip::

Thanks for the kind words

4 hours ago, Valjean said:

Maybe the only good thing to come of the board upgrade is that you can tag people so they get an alert to the post. @Nemesis 

Good luck to you, and thank you for all you do. 

1 minute ago, Sebowski said:

Maybe the only good thing to come of the board upgrade is that you can tag people so they get an alert to the post. @Nemesis 

Good luck to you, and thank you for all you do. 

Thanks for the assist @Sebowski. and the kind words

Honestly I expected that this thread got bumped because somebody recognized David Wilson working as a pizza delivery guy or something.

• Like 1

I miss David Wilson. I think he had great potential. While it may have been a blessing that Coughlin benched him as often as he did, I still can't forgive him for holding down such a talented player just because of a few fumbles. 

• Like 1

David Wilson has a 1.21 page per carry ratio. According to pro-football reference, David Wilson has the highest ratio all time for RBs > 100 carries.

• Like 1

C-Mike has nothing on David Wilson

• Like 1