Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Jeff Pasquino

***David Wilson Bandwagon***

I don't know what your keeper setup is but your nuts not to keep him if it's at all within reason.

Pretty much keep 4 each year. Keeping Trich, Calvin, Spiller... Deciding between Kaep and Wilson.

I don't know what your keeper setup is but your nuts not to keep him if it's at all within reason.

I have to decide between him and Chris Johnson at the same value.
That is an easy decision
not so easy for me. who for you?

That is an easy decision
As a CJ owner, I wouldn't even pause for 2 seconds if a D Wilson owner offered him to me straight up. So yeah, I would keep Wilson no questions asked.

That is an easy decision
As a CJ owner, I wouldn't even pause for 2 seconds if a D Wilson owner offered him to me straight up. So yeah, I would keep Wilson no questions asked.

I'm a Wilson owner in dynasty (and sold Chris for Calvin in all my leagues two years ago), and I think I'd take the CJ side. Titans are making a big effort to improve the run blocking for this year. Wilson may be a hit, you may have to wait another year. CJ is good now. In a keep 4, I'd be more inclined to keep the sure thing in Johnson. Yeah, he had a very bad month to start last year, but did pretty well after that.

I'm a Wilson owner in dynasty (and sold Chris for Calvin in all my leagues two years ago), and I think I'd take the CJ side. Titans are making a big effort to improve the run blocking for this year. Wilson may be a hit, you may have to wait another year. CJ is good now. In a keep 4, I'd be more inclined to keep the sure thing in Johnson. Yeah, he had a very bad month to start last year, but did pretty well after that.

Plus, they signed the best FA OG, so that should help him out. Although they also signed a goal line back, so that won't help. But, I feel like Andre Brown will eat into Wilson's role more than Greene will eat into CJ's.For 2013, I'd say CJ>Wilson. But I don't have a dog in this race so not much in depth research here.

No one seems to be talking about Wilson much lately.... Trying to decide whether to keep him in my keep 4 league this year, what are everyones thoughts on how productive he will be? Obviously early and lots depends on Brown, but is his upside top 10 RB this year?

Yes it is. But one fumble and Brown could be the bell cow for a few games making him top 10 per game, but not for the season...

That's my worry with him. Coughlin is such a grumpy old bastard about fumbles....lol.

No one seems to be talking about Wilson much lately.... Trying to decide whether to keep him in my keep 4 league this year, what are everyones thoughts on how productive he will be? Obviously early and lots depends on Brown, but is his upside top 10 RB this year?

Yes it is. But one fumble and Brown could be the bell cow for a few games making him top 10 per game, but not for the season...
I think the fumbling thing is way overblown with Wilson. The fumble that benched him was his only fumble of the season, and it was his first pro game. Look at 2010 where Bradshaw lost 6 fumbles and Coughlin continued to use him 15-20 times a game. Or 2012 when Bradshaw fumbled 3 times and still continued to get his carries when healthy. Or 2007 when Brandon Jacobs lost 2 fumbles in 1 game and then received 28 touches the following week.Despite what happened last year with 1 fumble when Wilson was a rookie, I don't think Coughlin is going to bench his starter due to a fumble. Has he ever put his starter on the bench for fumbling?

I think the fumbling thing is way overblown with Wilson. The fumble that benched him was his only fumble of the season, and it was his first pro game. Look at 2010 where Bradshaw lost 6 fumbles and Coughlin continued to use him 15-20 times a game. Or 2012 when Bradshaw fumbled 3 times and still continued to get his carries when healthy. Or 2007 when Brandon Jacobs lost 2 fumbles in 1 game and then received 28 touches the following week.Despite what happened last year with 1 fumble when Wilson was a rookie, I don't think Coughlin is going to bench his starter due to a fumble. Has he ever put his starter on the bench for fumbling?
He put the guy on the bench last year for WAAAYYYY too long when he was clearly the better RB. I'm a Wilson owner in one league, but I'm going to try like hell to grab Brown as insurance. The good news is, I believe that Coughlin will go with one guy or the other, and not RBBC if he is pissed at DW or Brown.

He put the guy on the bench last year for WAAAYYYY too long when he was clearly the better RB. I'm a Wilson owner in one league, but I'm going to try like hell to grab Brown as insurance. The good news is, I believe that Coughlin will go with one guy or the other, and not RBBC if he is pissed at DW or Brown.
I agree that I thought it was crazy that he kept him on the bench last year after that fumble, but again, he was a rookie and not the starter. It's one thing to teach a rookie a lesson, but if he is the starter, I don't see him being benched when it inevitably happens again. As I pointed out, Coughlin hasn't benched his starters for fumbling. If he did, Tiki Barber would have been on the bench in 2005 for fumbling 16 times in 3 years, rather than going for over 2,300 combined yards.

I agree that I thought it was crazy that he kept him on the bench last year after that fumble, but again, he was a rookie and not the starter. It's one thing to teach a rookie a lesson, but if he is the starter, I don't see him being benched when it inevitably happens again. As I pointed out, Coughlin hasn't benched his starters for fumbling. If he did, Tiki Barber would have been on the bench in 2005 for fumbling 16 times in 3 years, rather than going for over 2,300 combined yards.
The difference here is that DW is in his second year but only has like 70 carries. We see him as a second year player, but is he really? Coughlin might see him as a rook still. And I don't recall Coughlin having a backup as capable as Brown in those situations in the past. I may be wrong though.

The difference here is that DW is in his second year but only has like 70 carries. We see him as a second year player, but is he really? Coughlin might see him as a rook still. And I don't recall Coughlin having a backup as capable as Brown in those situations in the past. I may be wrong though.
Weren't Ward and Jacobs the backups back then?

Brown only has 75 career carries. With Wilson's kick returns, he's actually touched the ball more than Brown in the NFL.

They've had far more proven (and less injury prone) backups than Brown pretty much every year under Coughlin. I just don't think Wilson will still be in the doghouse a year later for 1 fumble in his first game. He returned kicks all year and started when needed without fumbling after the first one.

I would say that they didn't look nearly as good as Brown did in limited duty last year...

Brown only has 75 career carries. With Wilson's kick returns, he's actually touched the ball more than Brown in the NFL.

They've had far more proven (and less injury prone) backups than Brown pretty much every year under Coughlin. I just don't think Wilson will still be in the doghouse a year later for 1 fumble in his first game. He returned kicks all year and started when needed without fumbling after the first one.

They wouldn't have so readily gotten rid of Bradshaw if Wilson wasn't trusted to be the starter. Typical draft selection by Reese, he has the pattern of making picks to fill holes that will open once the season is over. Wilson probably will have his KR duties taken away. Recently signed Murphy might get those.

I would say that they didn't look nearly as good as Brown did in limited duty last year...
Jacobs was actually very good as Tiki's backup. It was once Jacobs became the starter and was having trouble staying on the field, that BJ changed up his running style and he became less effective.

Rotoworld:

The Giants' website refers to David Wilson as the team's "starting running back" and says he's "taking over for Ahmad Bradshaw."
This might not seem particularly groundbreaking, but there is a pocket of belief out there that Andre Brown could be the Giants' starter. Not happening. The Giants' website does concede Wilson will "share time" with Brown, but the extent to which will be determined by Wilson's progress. "He’s definitely in position to be the guy," said RBs coach Jerald Ingram. "But I think just like what we’ve done in the past here, we’re going to be a rotation-type team and what certain backs do best, we’ll play. I think he’s a playmaker."
Jun 7 - 9:39 PM
Source: giants.com
Edited by Faust
  • Like 1

Rotoworld:

Running backs coach Jerald Ingram said David Wilson's pass protection has improved.

As a rookie, Wilson's fumbles and struggles as a blocker led to just 75 touches from scrimmage. "He's definitely on a better track than he was a year ago in understanding our protections and doing those kinds of things," Ingram said. As long as Wilson's fundamentals are solid, he's going to see a massive boost in touches as the starter ahead of power back Andre Brown. When Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs formed a "thunder and lightning" committee in 2010, Bradshaw still ended up with 276 rushes and 47 receptions. Jacobs got 147 carries and seven catches.
Related: Andre Brown

Rotoworld:

Running backs coach Jerald Ingram said David Wilson's pass protection has improved.

As a rookie, Wilson's fumbles and struggles as a blocker led to just 75 touches from scrimmage. "He's definitely on a better track than he was a year ago in understanding our protections and doing those kinds of things," Ingram said. As long as Wilson's fundamentals are solid, he's going to see a massive boost in touches as the starter ahead of power back Andre Brown. When Ahmad Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs formed a "thunder and lightning" committee in 2010, Bradshaw still ended up with 276 rushes and 47 receptions. Jacobs got 147 carries and seven catches.

The 2010 Bradshaw/Jacobs numbers are almost exactly the type of split I envision for Wilson/Brown. That's assuming Brown stays healthy for a full season to rake in those 150 carries or so... otherwise I could see Wilson getting closer to 300 or so.

Rotoworld:

The 2010 Bradshaw/Jacobs numbers are almost exactly the type of split I envision for Wilson/Brown. That's assuming Brown stays healthy for a full season to rake in those 150 carries or so... otherwise I could see Wilson getting closer to 300 or so.

The only problem with that comparison is that 2010 wasn't Bradshaw's 2nd year with the team - it was his 4th. Bradshaw's first 3 years with the team, Jacobs got more starts and more carries, as he head been on the team for 2 years prior to Bradshaw's arrival. Coughlin is well noted for being "pro-vet". I could easily see those 2010 splits for Brown/Wilson....just not sure if it'll be in 2013....or 2014.

Rotoworld:

The only problem with that comparison is that 2010 wasn't Bradshaw's 2nd year with the team - it was his 4th. Bradshaw's first 3 years with the team, Jacobs got more starts and more carries, as he head been on the team for 2 years prior to Bradshaw's arrival. Coughlin is well noted for being "pro-vet". I could easily see those 2010 splits for Brown/Wilson....just not sure if it'll be in 2013....or 2014.

The split could be very different. Tiki Barber says Wislons skills are more like his. Brown I'd think is more like Bradshaw and Jacobs. Will they change the offense to resemble something more like in Tiki's days? I suppose that really depends on the line. This line seems better suited for pass blocking. But there could be 2-3 new starters on the line. Maybe more if Snee and Baas can't recover from their surgeries in time.

2nd-year RBs: David Wilson

Evan Silva

Leading up to 2013 training camp, I'm using NFL Game Rewind to take an extended look at each of the following second-year running backs: Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Vick Ballard, Bryce Brown, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Daryl Richardson, Robert Turbin, Isaiah Pead, and LaMichael James.

My Miller writeup can be found at this link. This is Part 2 in a 10-Part Series.

David Wilson

I couldn't get enough of David Wilson coming out of Virginia Tech. He was really fun to watch. When Wilson averaged 4.68 yards per carry and caught five passes for 61 yards in the 2012 preseason, his fantasy Average Draft Position soared out of control (early seventh round) for a raw backup. On the Giants' second offensive possession of the season, Wilson lost a fumble at Dallas' 29-yard line and earned a place deep in no-nonsense coach Tom Coughlin's doghouse. Wilson was used sparingly on offense until the final month, although he put his game-breaking talent to use on special teams, leading the NFL in kickoff return yards and 20-plus-yard returns.

Wilson wound up touching the football 75 times on offense as a rookie. I re-watched all of them over the weekend to strengthen my opinion on Wilson's 2013 outlook. Gone is 2012 feature back Ahmad Bradshaw, leaving Wilson to compete with more sluggish-moving Andre Brown for the Giants' starting job. These were my takeaways after charting Wilson's first-year touches:

I first reexamined the fumble that essentially got Wilson benched. It occurred at the 6:43 mark in the first quarter of the NFL opener. Cowboys ILB Sean Lee -- an All-Pro caliber defender -- took a sensational angle to launch himself into Wilson on a toss sweep off left tackle, popping the ball loose. Wilson even had the football in the correct hand, away from the oncoming defender. Put simply, I thought it was a great play by Lee. And Wilson never fumbled again during the season.

Of course, Wilson exacerbated his problems by dropping a pass on his very next opportunity for an offensive touch. Lined up at Z receiver, Wilson ran a short drag route over the middle in Week 2 against Tampa Bay. Eli Manning's perfectly-placed pass rifled through Wilson's hands. Targeted only nine times all year, Wilson had another drop in Week 4 on a shovel pass against the Eagles.

Fumbling is fixable -- and Wilson did so after Week 1 -- but another concern I had with his rookie-year tape was a raw, almost wild playing style with a lot of improvisation that made Wilson a boom-or-bust back. I charted all of 75 of Wilson's touches, and 32 of them gained two yards or worse (42.7 percent). He was prone to negative runs. Wilson totaled 392 yards from scrimmage in his first NFL season. 188 of them (48.0 percent) came on seven plays. Wilson showed a frequent tendency to attempt to make plays outside of the design of the offense, which I can't imagine helped him gain any more of conservative Coughlin's already fleeting trust.

Wilson ran poor pass routes. He tried to make cuts in the backfield that resulted in lost yards. Decision making is a term more often associated with quarterbacks, but it's also applicable to running back performance. And Wilson was a highly questionable decision maker as a rookie. He was an unpredictable play-to-play back.

As a receiver, Wilson is a drop-prone body catcher and lacks natural hands. The Giants obviously had little or no faith in him as a pass protector. Wilson touched the football on just five third-down plays all year.

It may seem like I'm piling on, but that's not the intent here. Wilson's rookie season deserves criticism. There were reasons he didn't earn a significant role until late in the year, and it wasn't just because of the Week 1 fumble. For the rest of this column, we'll focus on Wilson's positives.

And this is critical, because it was evident the more I watched: Wilson got better and better as his rookie year progressed. His confidence seemed to improve and he found a late-season rhythm as Coughlin entrusted him with heavier workloads. A maddeningly impatient runner early in the year -- he would regularly slam into the line without restraint -- Wilson became noticeably more composed down the stretch. There were still boom-or-bust elements to his game, but less and less. Wilson received at least 13 touches in three of the Giants' final four games. He averaged 6.07 yards per touch and 5.74 yards per carry over the final month with four touchdowns, not including a 97-yard kickoff return score in Week 14 against the Saints.

Purely in terms of running skill set, I believe David Wilson has the physical tools to develop into an elite NFL back. And I'm not using "elite" lightly. Wilson has a highly explosive first step, and runs with velocity both between the tackles and in high-traffic perimeter areas. He is vertically and laterally dangerous, possessing natural elusiveness, an outstanding ability to beat first contact, and breakaway long speed. Wilson measured only 5-foot-9 5/8 and 206 pounds at the Combine, but flashes genuine power. Wilson has a powerful lower body and can run with leg drive. He is capable of moving a pile. Wilson plays fast and physical and is an extremely competitive back.

I led off this series with a writeup on Lamar Miller, another sophomore running back positioned for a major year-two role increase. I think Miller vs. Wilson will be one of the most compelling debates of the 2013 fantasy football preseason. I came away from the two tape studies believing Wilson possesses superior talent and a higher ceiling. I think Miller will be a safer fantasy re-draft pick.

Tiki Barber is on board:

Barber: David Wilson 'dynamic' New York Giants back

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Former New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi once labeled Tiki Barber the "most remarkable back I have not only ever been with but that I have ever seen."

Barber is not just the Giants' all-time leading rusher, but also the franchise's most complete back since Hall of Famer Frank Gifford inspired Fred Exley to pen football's most poignant piece of literature.

If Barber is to be believed, David Wilson could erase his records. "He is as dynamic a player at that position that the Giants have ever had," Barber said this week via ESPNNewYork.com. "... I didn't have breakaway speed like he does. I wasn't the athlete like he is. I worked hard to get where I was. As long as he doesn't take that for granted and works hard on top of it, he can be fantastic."

After going back and watching Wilson's 2012 film for Around the League's "Making the Leap" series, it's hard to quibble with Barber's assessment. We will have more in-depth analysis in a few weeks, but the most obvious takeaway was Wilson's breathtaking breakaway speed that jumped off the screen.

Time will tell if Wilson learns the "little intricacies" -- as Barber explained -- of pass protection, recognizing defenses, decisiveness and ball security that will enable him to become a complete back. If he does, the Giants will have one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in the league at their disposal.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Tiki Barber is on board:

Barber: David Wilson 'dynamic' New York Giants back

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Former New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi once labeled Tiki Barber the "most remarkable back I have not only ever been with but that I have ever seen."

Barber is not just the Giants' all-time leading rusher, but also the franchise's most complete back since Hall of Famer Frank Gifford inspired Fred Exley to pen football's most poignant piece of literature.

If Barber is to be believed, David Wilson could erase his records. "He is as dynamic a player at that position that the Giants have ever had," Barber said this week via ESPNNewYork.com. "... I didn't have breakaway speed like he does. I wasn't the athlete like he is. I worked hard to get where I was. As long as he doesn't take that for granted and works hard on top of it, he can be fantastic."

After going back and watching Wilson's 2012 film for Around the League's "Making the Leap" series, it's hard to quibble with Barber's assessment. We will have more in-depth analysis in a few weeks, but the most obvious takeaway was Wilson's breathtaking breakaway speed that jumped off the screen.

Time will tell if Wilson learns the "little intricacies" -- as Barber explained -- of pass protection, recognizing defenses, decisiveness and ball security that will enable him to become a complete back. If he does, the Giants will have one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in the league at their disposal.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

All of a sudden people care what Tiki thinks?

They didnt care what he thought when he had something to say about Eli or Coughlin, but now that he supports a player.

I was just offered Sproles, BJGE, the 2.2 rookie pick this year and a 2014 1st rounder (mid to late most likely) for Wilson and turned it down without blinking. I am on this wagon for the long haul...... LOL

I was offered Wilson (or Chris Johnson) for the #1 overall pick in my keep 6 league, still thinking it over...

I was just offered Sproles, BJGE, the 2.2 rookie pick this year and a 2014 1st rounder (mid to late most likely) for Wilson and turned it down without blinking. I am on this wagon for the long haul...... LOL

I was offered Wilson (or Chris Johnson) for the #1 overall pick in my keep 6 league, still thinking it over...

Who are you going to get in the 7th round of your draft (1st overall pick in a keep 6) that offers more than either Wilson or Johnson They're both 2nd/3rd round picks in redraft which makes them no-brainers to trade for with the first overall pick, especially with this year's rookie class lacking the Luck/RGIII/TRich/Martin/Julio/AJGreen type players.

Keep 6 is basically like redraft IMHO in that you keep the guys who help you Win Now. Not enough room to wait for rookies to develop So you take a guy like Wilson in a heartbeat for the 7.01 pick.

All that said, maybe there's somethings specifici about your league scoring or roster requirements that makes this not be a no-brainer.

Who are you going to get in the 7th round of your draft (1st overall pick in a keep 6) that offers more than either Wilson or Johnson They're both 2nd/3rd round picks in redraft which makes them no-brainers to trade for with the first overall pick, especially with this year's rookie class lacking the Luck/RGIII/TRich/Martin/Julio/AJGreen type players.

Keep 6 is basically like redraft IMHO in that you keep the guys who help you Win Now. Not enough room to wait for rookies to develop So you take a guy like Wilson in a heartbeat for the 7.01 pick.

All that said, maybe there's somethings specifici about your league scoring or roster requirements that makes this not be a no-brainer.

Yeah, I agree in general, but the downside is you have to use one of your keeper slots on the player as well as lose that pick.

Rotoworld:

David Wilson averaged 5.74 yards per carry and scored four offensive touchdowns over the final month of last season.

Wilson received at least 13 touches in three of the Giants' final four games. He scored a fifth touchdown on a 97-yard kickoff return against the Saints. While Wilson demonstrated many raw and boom-or-bust running qualities as a rookie, he made major strides as his first year progressed. Rotoworld's Evan Silva breaks down all of Wilson's 2012 offensive touches at the link below.

Yeah, I agree in general, but the downside is you have to use one of your keeper slots on the player as well as lose that pick.

That's my main concern. But it sounds like the other guy is going to keep them both, anyway...

Fantasy Week: The value of David Wilson

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

David Wilson, a first-round pick from the 2012 NFL draft, is going to be the New York Giants' starting running back this year. We think. Kind of. But something about this whole situation reminds me of how excited the fantasy football community was about Roy Helu in Washington this time last year. That didn't feel right, and neither does this.

What we know about Wilson is that he has top-end speed and the ability to score from anywhere on the field. This makes him the kind of running back that appeals to fantasy football players because of upside. If he has a big game -- a game that includes even one very long touchdown -- he can win your weekly matchup for you by delivering big points from the most important position. This is enticing, and people pay for it at drafts every single year.

But the issue with Wilson, which comes up in this fantasy roundtable video comparing him to new Jets starter Chris Ivory, is one of opportunity. And there are several reasons I'd stay away from Wilson and the Giants' running game in general this year in fantasy. Several of them are the same reasons it's been a good idea to stay away from Giants running backs for a few years now.

In the video, Ken Daube mentions Wilson's "complete skill set" and defends him against the "bad misconception" that he had fumble problems as a rookie. Correct on both counts. The whole "doghouse" issue with Wilson after his Week 1 fumble got way overblown. The main reason he didn't get much run in the backfield until later in the season was that the team had concerns about his pass-protection abilities, and the main reason he did get more touches late in the season was that Ahmad Bradshaw and Andre Brown got hurt. Nothing to do with the Week 1 fumble.

But while Bradshaw is gone, Brown is still on the team. And when you're talking about Wilson's fantasy value, that matters big time. Brown scored eight touchdowns last year in just 10 games. He was the goal-line running back, and he had enough success in that role that the Giants should and likely will hand it right back to him this year. That means, if Wilson is one of your starting fantasy running backs, he's going to need to score touchdowns from outside the 10-yard line or he's not going to score them. Anyone who's ever played fantasy football knows the pain of watching a backup running back "vulture" a touchdown from the 2-yard line after your guy did all the work to get the ball down there. Knowing for a fact this will happen before the week begins? That's a special kind of torture, because it's one for which you've volunteered.

Add in the fact that we haven't seen Wilson as a featured running back for a full season (so we can't know yet if it's something he can handle), and you have a big question mark. And add in the well-established fact that the Giants are a passing offense whose coaches see pass protection as the running back's primary role, and now you've introduced a nonfantasy-related factor that could have major fantasy implications.

Bradshaw is the premier pass-protection running back in the NFL, by a wide margin. Losing him means the Giants' coaching staff will be watching its backs very closely in preseason and in training camp to determine which of them can pick up the blitz and absorb the kind of contact that helps keep defenders off of Eli Manning. Brown can pass protect a bit, and Wilson improved some in that area last year, but the difference between an adequate pass-protection back and what Bradshaw offered remains vast. And if Manning's protection becomes an issue, you'd better believe the Giants will deploy their running backs with an eye toward helping in that area rather than helping your fantasy football team. What that means for Wilson is yet another unknown; I'm just saying you shouldn't expect his home-run-hitting ability to keep him in the lineup when it's not the team's primary concern.

Wilson's ability as a runner makes him an enticing fantasy football play. But the Giants' coaching staff isn't looking for the best fantasy football running back. The Giants mix and match with running backs, and they'll put the ones on the field who help the overall offense function the best. That's why I'm not taking Wilson early. He could be a great asset this year. I just think there are too many question marks about the ways in which the team will use him to make him a trustworthy option.

David Wilson, a first-round pick from the 2012 NFL draft, is going to be the New York Giants' starting running back this year. We think. Kind of. But something about this whole situation reminds me of how excited the fantasy football community was about Roy Helu in Washington this time last year. That didn't feel right, and neither does this.

How to lose credibility in a hurry.

Edit: I mean the author of the article, not Faust who is one of the reasons I come to this site.

Edited by johnadams
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to get him in 6 of the 10 dynasty leagues I'm in and he's not on the block in any of them. I'll listen to any offer, but David Wilson is damn near untouchable.

I was lucky enough to get him in 6 of the 10 dynasty leagues I'm in and he's not on the block in any of them. I'll listen to any offer, but David Wilson is damn near untouchable.

Everybody has a price

Everybody has a price

Let's put it this way, it would take someone like A J Green to make me flinch.

Everybody has a price

You'd think so. I tried to downgrade from Trent to Wilson for the price of one 2014 1st that's slated to be pretty high. That was as much as I could get and the guy just couldn't pull the trigger.

I'm kinda glad, actually.

Everybody has a price

If Green will make you flinch I will assume Calvin, Julio, or Dez can get you to rethink your position too. Edited by Mimo

Everybody has a price

If Green will make you flinch I will assume Calvin, Julio, or Dez can get you to rethink your position too.

Yes, but he's in that territory. Having said that, I wouldn't trade Wilson for Dez Bryant. I still don't trust him. He could implode at any time.

Likely going to do this tomorrow

16 teams .5 ppr

Craigentinny Chargers will give

Cousins, Kirk WAS QB

Wilson, David NYG RB

To Kaunas Buckeyes for

Morgan, Joseph NOS WR

Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR

Davis, Fred WAS TE

Year 2014 Round 1 Draft Pick from Melbourne Patriots

Year 2014 Round 2 Draft Pick from Prestonpans Pirates

Year 2014 Round 2 Draft Pick from Queensferry Falcons

Year 2015 Round 1 Draft Pick from Kaunas Buckeyes

2014 1st should be top 6-8

2nds should be early and middle

2015 1st should be late

Yes, but he's in that territory. Having said that, I wouldn't trade Wilson for Dez Bryant. I still don't trust him. He could implode at any time.

:lmao:

Edit: I mean the author of the article, not Faust who is one of the reasons I come to this site.

That columnist is clearly a Bradshaw lover and still cant believe Wilson is the man. He will understand soon enough.
  • Like 1

That columnist is clearly a Bradshaw lover and still cant believe Wilson is the man. He will understand soon enough.

I don't quite get the Helu comparison, but the rest of the article is pretty much spot on. Anyone who is objectively looking at the Giants' RB situation can see that.

A true Wilson "breakout" likely won't arrive unless Brown suffers an injury, which is possible of course.

I don't quite get the Helu comparison, but the rest of the article is pretty much spot on. Anyone who is objectively looking at the Giants' RB situation can see that.

A true Wilson "breakout" likely won't arrive unless Brown suffers an injury, which is possible of course.

Considering they had ample opportunity to resign Bradshaw or a whole slew of other RB's (Mendenhall, Wells, Greene, etc), and are riding pretty much Wilson and the brittle Brown, I think a breakout is absolutely going to happen.

The writing on the wall that the writer misses is that he improved enough last year and the offseason to make Bradshaw expendible. The Giants did not let Bradshaw walk hoping Wilson can pass block. Decisions in the NFL aren't made like that. They don't risk the health of their two time SB winning QB with a guy they hope can figure it out sometime this season.

Considering they had ample opportunity to resign Bradshaw or a whole slew of other RB's (Mendenhall, Wells, Greene, etc), and are riding pretty much Wilson and the brittle Brown, I think a breakout is absolutely going to happen.

The writing on the wall that the writer misses is that he improved enough last year and the offseason to make Bradshaw expendible. The Giants did not let Bradshaw walk hoping Wilson can pass block. Decisions in the NFL aren't made like that. They don't risk the health of their two time SB winning QB with a guy they hope can figure it out sometime this season.

You may be right about the rationale for letting Bradshaw walk. I can't help think that his mouth and perpetual injuries may have factored in too though. Some of the FAs you named (and I realize it wasn't intended to be an exhaustive list) have their own issues with age/cost and being brittle as well so arguably they may not have been viewed as solutions to the "Bradshaw problem".

I just get a sense of deja vu here with last year's Wilson thread where he was either a non-factor or about to be let off his leash (depending on who you talked to).

You may be right about the rationale for letting Bradshaw walk. I can't help think that his mouth and perpetual injuries may have factored in too though. Some of the FAs you named (and I realize it wasn't intended to be an exhaustive list) have their own issues with age/cost and being brittle as well so arguably they may not have been viewed as solutions to the "Bradshaw problem".

I just get a sense of deja vu here with last year's Wilson thread where he was either a non-factor or about to be let off his leash (depending on who you talked to).

The Giants are one of the smarter teams in the league in terms of Front Office and coaching moves. They DEFINITELY didn't let Bradshaw walk without trusting in Wilson being their workhorse. They aren't stupid either, they are well aware that Brown has a high history of injuries and may not be able to be counted on as much as last season. Lets look at the pros and cons of Wilson right now just his situation.

PROS:

1) They cut their starting running back and immediately named him the starter. There was no "This will be a camp competition between Wilson and Brown". Wilson is being handed the job. The Giants don't hand jobs to people lightly, they have to prove it.

2) They didn't even attempt to interview or try out any of the big name veterans that moved this year. Turner, Jackson, Bush etc. they didn't even try or care. So for the people making the argument that Bradshaw was released for 'cap reasons' that's just ridiculous. There are plenty of RBs they could have signed or at least attempted to sign and simply didn't bother. Not to mention after Bradshaw cleared waivers they could have resigned him if they wanted him back.

3) There is this misconception that the Giants have always been a pass first team. This simply isn't true up until the past two seasons the Giants were a Top 5 rushing team every single year and averaged a balanced 50/50 run/pass ratio in those years prior. This is the approach they prefer, the past two seasons have been pass first for necessity as their run game has sucked. They would always prefer to pound the ball and setup the play action. It's when Eli's at his strongest and it's when the offense runs the best.

CONS

1) Andre Brown exists. Andre Brown a three year NFL pro who has been on 4 different teams in those three years. And been injured his entire career up until last season (where he ended it injured). Up until last season in 2 years he had 4 carries for -1 yard. The guy isn't a threat at all in my opinion. But this is the con everyone keeps bringing up. Everyone keeps ignoring this fact as if Andre Brown is someone like Marcus Lattimore who had elite first round talent and just got hurt badly and couldn't come back. But he wasn't, he was a random pick at the tail end of the fourth round. He's just a change of pace guy to Wilson nothing more.

Honestly, my opinion on all of these reports from the mini camps and OTAs are this... Wilson has some maturity issues. The Giants are trying to be humble about his progression and not just come out and say "The kids amazing, he's picked up everything we've thrown at him. He is going to be a monster and our every down back this season".

Also latest Rotoworld update on him

"He still makes mistakes but there has certainly been some significant [growth]," Gilbride added. "Now until you get the pads on -– and he has to show that he, as a smaller guy, can do the things necessary that other small backs in this league have done –- you are still kind of holding your breath when you see him." Gilbride wants Wilson to become a better pass catcher and pass protector before committing to the second-year running back as an every-down player.