What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***David Wilson Bandwagon*** (1 Viewer)

'ty247 said:
'werdnoynek said:
'Cookiemonster said:
I don't know about Peyton/Sanders, but I'll compare him to Chris Johnson. Superior athletic ability to probably any other RB in the NFL and some very good playing strength for his size. He just needs to learn to see the field better and use his blocking more efficiently. CJ has him beat by miles in this category, but that part can be taught.
good point... i may be jumping the gun with payton/sanders comparisons lol...i also agree with the vision and decision making... when he learns to incorporate them into his game more he could be really special imo.
I don't know if it's his vision / decision making.. is it possible that it's allowing the blocks to develop, and being slightly patient enough for it to happen? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I see a little of that in his game at times.I remember LeSean McCoy had the same problem in his first year, but once he adjusted he became stud.
Very much so. McCoy was so impatient, he couldn't even wait for his own feet sometimes. :lol: He was so out of control, I didn't want anything to do with drafting him and have been extremely impressed with his development. I think the Giants have done a good job of developing RBs for a while now, and that gives me even more hope for Wilson to turn from a back with a lot of potential into a very good RB. I also have a lot of hope for RBs that are a tad too small, but have been running track in the offseasons. It allows for a little extra room for development now that they get to spend all their time working out for football and not track. These guys (I'm looking at you, Jamal Charles) typically put on 10 lbs in their 1st year in the NFL. If Wilson puts on 10 lbs and learns a little patience and where secondary lanes are likely to open, he could be a star. My excitement about him is that these are very likely to happen. It's not like a big, fast, spring-loaded WR that can't catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
'ty247 said:
'werdnoynek said:
'Cookiemonster said:
I don't know about Peyton/Sanders, but I'll compare him to Chris Johnson. Superior athletic ability to probably any other RB in the NFL and some very good playing strength for his size. He just needs to learn to see the field better and use his blocking more efficiently. CJ has him beat by miles in this category, but that part can be taught.
good point... i may be jumping the gun with payton/sanders comparisons lol...i also agree with the vision and decision making... when he learns to incorporate them into his game more he could be really special imo.
I don't know if it's his vision / decision making.. is it possible that it's allowing the blocks to develop, and being slightly patient enough for it to happen? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I see a little of that in his game at times.I remember LeSean McCoy had the same problem in his first year, but once he adjusted he became stud.
Very much so. McCoy was so impatient, he couldn't even wait for his own feet sometimes. :lol: He was so out of control, I didn't want anything to do with drafting him and have been extremely impressed with his development. I think the Giants have done a good job of developing RBs for a while now, and that gives me even more hope for Wilson to turn from a back with a lot of potential into a very good RB. I also have a lot of hope for RBs that are a tad too small, but have been running track in the offseasons. It allows for a little extra room for development now that they get to spend all their time working out for football and not track. These guys (I'm looking at you, Jamal Charles) typically put on 10 lbs in their 1st year in the NFL. If Wilson puts on 10 lbs and learns a little patience and where secondary lanes are likely to open, he could be a star. My excitement about him is that these are very likely to happen. It's not like a big, fast, spring-loaded WR that can't catch.
:goodposting:

I'm conflicted; I really like both Doug Martin and David Wilson.I've got the feeling like Martin's a safer pick between the two, but Wilson's got that super star homerun pick potential.
I like Martin. But what is "safer" about trying to land the next Ray Rice?We always fall into this trap. A guy breaks the mold...and then immediately becomes the new mold.Oh, the secret to picking a stud NFL running back is to find one that looks like Ray Rice? Except that if you followed the secret to drafting a stud NFL running back the year Rice got drafted, you wouldn't have drafted Ray Rice. Not calling you out, ty247. Just curious why you think Martin is safer. The studs are by definition unique and actually contradict one another if you approach it from a comparison of traits.
Martin - three down back, immediate third down back duties, probable goal line carries.Wilson - I think he runs just as physical as Martin, I think he's faster and I think that he can take it to the house every time he touches the ball (he has that type of break away speed), but we also don't know what kind of a role he's going to have yet, and he's going to have to improve on his pass protection in order to get on and stay on the field.Who's to say Martin is the next Ray Rice, that would be like me saying Wilson's the next LeSean McCoy because he has the same type of HWS.I think both Martin and Wilson can be phenomenal running backs.

I don't claim to be any good at scouting players or predicting NFL success, but this dude was so much fun to watch at VT.

If you watched more than say 2 VT games in the past couple seasons, you probably saw the video of him doing however many standing backflips in a row. (7?) It may not seem immediatly applicable to football but what I saw in his game time and time again was incredible balance. The thing I found myself saying most after "Wow he's fast." was "How the heck did he keep his feet under him after that hit?"

I am super-duper exicted for the NFL highlight videos of Wilson turning the corner on the LB, running down the sideline, getting walloped by a DB, and watching him keep his feet while his whole upper body is practically horizontal. :thumbup:

'Reepicheep said:
I don't claim to be any good at scouting players or predicting NFL success, but this dude was so much fun to watch at VT. If you watched more than say 2 VT games in the past couple seasons, you probably saw the video of him doing however many standing backflips in a row. (7?) It may not seem immediatly applicable to football but what I saw in his game time and time again was incredible balance. The thing I found myself saying most after "Wow he's fast." was "How the heck did he keep his feet under him after that hit?"I am super-duper exicted for the NFL highlight videos of Wilson turning the corner on the LB, running down the sideline, getting walloped by a DB, and watching him keep his feet while his whole upper body is practically horizontal. :thumbup:
:thumbup: amazing body awareness and balance... and at 20 years of age, the best is yet to come. :popcorn:

Giants need better running game, and Wilson could be their man

By Clark Judge | CBSSports.com Senior NFL Columnist

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Jets talk about returning to "Ground and Pound," but it's the New York Giants who are doing something about it -- and what they're doing is there for everyone to see at this weekend's rookie mini-camp.

I'm talking about schooling first-round draft choice David Wilson, the successor to Brandon Jacobs and a running back who could, if he's what the Giants believe he is, return an effective rushing attack to at least one New York-area team.

At 5-feet-10, 205 pounds, Wilson is no Brandon Jacobs. But he is fast and explosive. He runs through tackles. He's tough to bring down. And he can catch the football. In short, he might be just what the Giants need to resuscitate the league's 32nd-ranked running game that didn't wake up until it was nearly too late last season.

But look at the club's last six games -- all victories -- and you'll find the team that averaged 82.3 yards rushing per start before produced 114.5 per game then.

Connect the dots. The Giants did when they made Wilson their first-round draft choice, finding a combination of value and need at the 32nd overall position.

"What you see with David is what you get," said rookie cornerback Jayron Hosley. "He's a smart guy who is very enthusiastic and talented. He's athletic, with speed, and a good person and player overall. Plus, he has good hands coming out of the backfield and can be a receiver coming out of the slot."

Hosley should know. He played with Wilson at Virginia Tech and roomed with him their freshman season. Now they're teammates on the Super Bowl champions, and both should make the team. But it's Wilson who fills the more urgent need, replacing Jacobs after the veteran running back left for San Francisco.

Jacobs brought an attitude and toughness to the field, but he couldn't grind out the tough yards that made him and past Giants' teams so effective. So the Giants, in effect, swapped out Jacobs for Wilson and believe they got the better end of the deal.

"They want me to do everything," said Wilson after Friday morning's practice. "They want me to do the 'whole nine.' So I'm going to do the 'whole 10' and get the first down."

Now, we're talking.

Too often last season no back was getting the first down. The Giants produced 100 yards rushing in only four of their first 11 starts and failed to run for a score in five of those contests. Result: They won one more game (6) than they lost. But once they did what the Jets did in 2009-10 -- namely, grind up opponents with an effective rushing attack -- their fortunes changed, with the Giants dropping just one of their last eight starts.

Some of that had to do with the return of Ahmad Bradshaw, who missed four straight games in mid-season with a foot injury, but most of it had to do with a rushing attack that suddenly pushed back opponents and that, along with a relentless pass rush, helped deliver the Giants their second Lombardi Trophy in four years.

With Jacobs gone and Bradshaw returning from foot surgery, the Giants need help at a critical position -- which is why they spent their first-round draft pick on a running back who last season set a school record with 1,709 yards rushing, scored nine times and caught 21 passes.

If there's a knock on the guy, it's that he fumbles too often -- but that's an issue coaches can handle. They did it with Tiki Barber. They did it with Bradshaw. And I have no doubt they'll do it with David Wilson.

He'll also have to work on his pass protection, but that's part of the process for almost any rookie. As one scout told me, "I don't know one running back who blocks out of a two-point stance. They just push and shove," which is another way of saying it's an occupational hazard for first-year backs.

It's an acquired skill, and Wilson will have to acquire it.

"It's not like weird or scary," Wilson said of jumping to the NFL champions. "It's more like a good thing, and [a feeling of] let me be on this team because they're successful, and I want to be successful. They're guys just like me. They work hard at what they're doing, and they want to be the best at what they're doing. Guys can get drafted where ever, but it's about what you do when you get here -- not how you got here."

I know one thing Wilson can do, which is a lot of back flips without stopping. I watched one YouTube video where he did 13 in succession. Then I saw another where he did 21. Wilson said he's been doing them since the age of 3 when he started in his backyard, and I know what you're thinking: So what? So the last rookie around here who did 13 back flips was defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, and I'd say he worked out OK.

"The 13 he did was with his hands," said Wilson, laughing. "The 13 I did was with no hands. He plays D-end, so you get the credit. That's why I had to make sure I did 21 and not 13 or 14."

David Wilson will get a lot of credit if he can help restore the Giants' running game. One guy can't carry this attack, and I'm not talking about Bradshaw. I'm talking about Eli Manning, who tried last season and floundered until the running game perked up. Now the Giants have Wilson, Bradshaw, D. J. Ware and Da'Rel Scott, who demonstrated big-play ability in the preseason last year but seemed to get buried once the games counted.

"I'd like to pick up where I left off, but that rarely happens," said Wilson. "When you look at rookies they always have that transition period. I just want to be on the field, go out there and compete and contribute to the team in some way."

Trust me, he'll get that chance. The Giants need something, anything, to revive their running game, and David Wilson could be the solution.

Just went at 1.4 in my rookie draft. Thought it was a bit early with RGIII available and 1.4 owner with Flynn as his qb1

First practice, Gilbride was already on Wilson for breaking a run play that didn't develop. The DE forced him to run even further into the backfield. Good to see he'll learn from day 1 that he'll be getting taught that doing that stuff won't fly in the NFL. I hope he goes against the Giants starting defensive line often in camp, I think it'll make him a better runner.

First practice, Gilbride was already on Wilson for breaking a run play that didn't develop. The DE forced him to run even further into the backfield. Good to see he'll learn from day 1 that he'll be getting taught that doing that stuff won't fly in the NFL. I hope he goes against the Giants starting defensive line often in camp, I think it'll make him a better runner.
Combine fantastic talent and potential with probably a top 5 coaching staff and I can't wait to see what this kid can become.

Bradshaw will probably go back to the schedule where he practices one day a week and plays in games. Watch camp to see if they limit him in camp. I think they should, they didn't last year, but they may have thought the foot problems were solved. I see Bradshaw's feet holding up to about 800-900 yards rushing.

How much can the giants rushing game improve, since it can't get any worse than it was last year. One area I can see Wilson excelling is on shotgun draws. The Giants run shotgun draws several times a game and Eli will often audible to it. I've hated the play, but Wilson could change that. His speed vrs. defenders in pass defense should make for some big plays.

I'm conflicted; I really like both Doug Martin and David Wilson.I've got the feeling like Martin's a safer pick between the two, but Wilson's got that super star homerun pick potential.
I like Martin. But what is "safer" about trying to land the next Ray Rice?We always fall into this trap. A guy breaks the mold...and then immediately becomes the new mold.Oh, the secret to picking a stud NFL running back is to find one that looks like Ray Rice? Except that if you followed the secret to drafting a stud NFL running back the year Rice got drafted, you wouldn't have drafted Ray Rice. Not calling you out, ty247. Just curious why you think Martin is safer. The studs are by definition unique and actually contradict one another if you approach it from a comparison of traits.
Martin - three down back, immediate third down back duties, probable goal line carries.Wilson - I think he runs just as physical as Martin, I think he's faster and I think that he can take it to the house every time he touches the ball (he has that type of break away speed), but we also don't know what kind of a role he's going to have yet, and he's going to have to improve on his pass protection in order to get on and stay on the field.Who's to say Martin is the next Ray Rice, that would be like me saying Wilson's the next LeSean McCoy because he has the same type of HWS.I think both Martin and Wilson can be phenomenal running backs.
Martin has a more clear shot to the starting job, and the build necessary to sustain the pounding. Other than that, they both have some very good qualities.

‏@AdamSchefter--

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride on rookie RB David Wilson: "I don't know if we've had a guy as explosive, regardless of the position, here."
I drafted him at 1.4 (nonppr). Quotes like that make me happy that I did.

Eli Manning on Wilson

My link

Manning on rookies David Wilson and Rueben Randle: "They both had a good spring. The thing about David Wilson is he’s the fastest running back we’ve ever had. I mean, this guy’s; quick, he’s explosive, so that’s kind of exciting. Our running backs over the years have been the powerful, big guy. With those young guys at running back, it’s all about learning protections. If I start changing plays, they have to know exactly what they’re doing, the routes off that and blocking guys. You slowly work them in, you have a small amount of plays in a special package for them that they can get comfortable with and then you get them in the mix.

on board for a decent rookie year but don't expect much for FF. next year (2013) I expect this kid to shine.

(so says a guy who landed Martin at 1.03, Wilson at 1.05) :)

David Wilson Highlights and Lowlights from Giants vs Jags game

He needs to work on his pass blocking for sure, he whiffed a few times. He admitted that one time he thought it was a pass play but he was supposed to take the hand-off. But it looks like it happened twice.

Giants need work on the run blocking. Pascoe whiffed on one run attempt. As did the FB on another attempt, not sure if it was Hynoski or Martinek.

Looks like Wilson will make a defense pay if they don't wrap up. He blows through arm tackles and bounces off contact.

He needs to work on his pass blocking for sure, he whiffed a few times. He admitted that one time he thought it was a pass play but he was supposed to take the hand-off. But it looks like it happened twice.

Giants need work on the run blocking. Pascoe whiffed on one run attempt. As did the FB on another attempt, not sure if it was Hynoski or Martinek.

Looks like Wilson will make a defense pay if they don't wrap up. He blows through arm tackles and bounces off contact.
Sick posting! Thanks for the link. Anyone else feel like at the end of the day he's going to be the best RB of the class? That is if he can ever figure out pass blocking.

I admit that watching that game my focus was starting to drift in the 3rd quarter. Then I saw him shoot off like a rocket up the middle on that big gain and it felt like someone gave me an espresso shot. I had to rewindbecause I thought Brown was still in.

The line was off and on opeing holes/ collasping but he was up and down also rotating big plays followed up with losses. I was really impressed with his ability to take a hit and keep going. That corresponds wirh what I saw/heard about his college tape.

VT has had some great runners over the last 5 years-- Ryan Wilson, David Wilson, and Darren Evans. I think Ryan Williams is the best out of the three, but with the team he's on and his injury last year...I think David Wilson is in a much better situation.

Probably won't do much this year unless he can protect ELI, though.

Looked liked he stuck with what he's being coached, running forward even when there was nothing to get, rather than falling back on stuff he did in college like running into the backfield. That stuff won't fly in the NFL.

'BlackMamba24 said:
gave up a lot to get wilson. i gave up k. wright, green-ellis, and lamar miller.had to make a 3 for 1 trade to get down to the roster limit, pretty deep at wr so i could afford to trade wright but now wright is looking pretty good so im hoping this trade doesnt hurt me too bad. a wr is much easier to find than a rb IMO so hopefully wilson will be a good dynasty back to have.but wilson did have a good 1st pre season game
get a friend that plays fantasy football too to tell this #### too...cause i just don't see why anyone on a forum would care about this

Sick posting! Thanks for the link.
:goodposting:

It pains me to say this as en Eagles fan but he has star written all over him. If he ends up as the back-up RB I'm making sure he's on my team.

A little troubling from a fantasy perspective for 2012 that he didn't get action until the late 3rd quarter, wasn't it?
He played in the 1st on specials. Most of it was the 3rd and 4th. Understandable, with his pass blocking still not up to par. Perriloux is much more expendable than Eli or Carr.Main purpose in this game was probably to see if he'd line up in the right spot and make the right read for blocks and the hole. He doesn't need to be in with the #1s for that.

A little troubling from a fantasy perspective for 2012 that he didn't get action until the late 3rd quarter, wasn't it?
They're playing hard to get. They want him to earn his spot and not show favorites due to draft pedigree, same with Randle. But they are very excited about both of them and want Wilson to be ready. Its more muddled with Randle because they really like what Hixon was doing before the hammy setback.

He has the potential and in start up dynasty drafts I bet he is already moving up from late 5th and early 6th round. He has to improve his pass blocking, which is something most rookie backs have to learn anyways, he could also get a little better running up the middle. You really see his talent when he gets outside or up field, he can make people miss, falls forward and is very fast. I am on board

I saw a couple of interesting quotes today from the Post article about DJ Ware

My link

Knowing when to stay in and block and when to take off and get open are concepts many running backs find difficult to master. Wilson is a gifted back with the ball in his hands, but he’s not close to NFL-ready when it comes to the nuances of the passing game.
Ahmad Bradshaw remains the starter and his repaired feet have allowed him to practice every day.

I like David Wilson, but I find it hard to believe Coughlin will give him significant snaps without being able to pass block. Same thing applies to Ronnie Hillman in Denver...are they really going to rely on a rookie RB to help pass protect for Peyton? I doubt it.

All backs have to learn how to pass block at the NFL level. Some need more help than others, however. Even if Wilson is behind the curve, he will get better, question is how long it takes.

Obvious statement: Wilson has much more value in dynasty than he does in 2012 redraft leagues.

Wilson runs angry, I love it! (catch his highlights if you have'nt already). Despite the fact I think Wilson will slowly eat into Bradshaws time as the season progresses, I think its a win for Bradshaw who will be pushed to keep the peformance pace of Wilson - I'm buying Bradshaw in the Redraft and Wilson in the Dynastys.

not at all, not wanting to tip their hand on what they really have.
Or trouble grasping playbook. The Star Ledger reports the Giants coaches are concerned about rookie RB David Wilson’s grasp of the playbook at this point. Traded for Bradshaw hoping for this.

not at all, not wanting to tip their hand on what they really have.
Or trouble grasping playbook. The Star Ledger reports the Giants coaches are concerned about rookie RB David Wilson’s grasp of the playbook at this point. Traded for Bradshaw hoping for this.
That blurb has been taken out of context by other outlets. They are taking it to mean that David Wilson is not learning the playbook as well as the coaches want. That they specifically indicated that Wilson is having difficulty learning it.That's not the case. The meaning was that Wilson, being a rookie is still learning the system and going through the typical rookie learning curve. Ware having been in the system longer is more familiar with it.

It's like when the coaches say Wilson needs to learn the pass blocking assignments. They aren't saying he has an inability or having difficulty in learning them, he just needs time and reps to learn them.

This article wouldn't be about Ware, if a coach expressed disappointment over Wilson's absorption of the playbook. Something like that would be quoted, and the article would be filled with how Wilson isn't meeting expectations. That's not the case. It's just a poor choice of words by the beat writer and people have taken an innocuous sentence and made more out of it than it is.

It's amazing how widespread this has gone. Might as well use it to get him cheap if this causes less informed people to back off of Wilson.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/08/dj_ware_needs_to_gain_more_fie.html

Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs believe Giants' D.J. Ware is ready for breakout season

By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

D.J. Ware took the handoff, bounced to his left, cut right as he crossed the line of scrimmage, hopped to the left to juke a defender and then put two hands on the ball as he began to high-step into the Jaguars’ secondary.

Even though he had at least 2 yards between him and anyone in a teal jersey.

After the Giants scored a touchdown on the next play, Ware headed back toward the sideline, where fellow running back Ahmad Bradshaw was pumping his legs in playful mockery of Ware’s running style.

“We were laughing at it because he didn’t know what was around him,” Bradshaw said the other day before the team broke training camp in Albany. “He started high-stepping, started protecting the ball. That’s what you have to do in the NFL. It’s so fast of a game people will be on your heels and you won’t even know it.

“It was an excellent play. We just laughed because it could’ve been a lot longer gain, but he was worried about what was behind him.”

It was all fun and games because it was the preseason opener and, well, because Ware picked up 16 yards on the play, thanks in large part to all of that cutting and juking before the high steps.

But the play underscores the need for Ware to gain more field awareness as his workload potentially increases this season and, for when he has a hole or open field in front of him, to get downfield like Brandon Jacobs used to.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Ware might be the best option to provide power running and, as he showed on a twisting second effort for a 2-yard touchdown in the first quarter of Friday’s game, he can get his momentum moving forward quickly.

As long as he’s mentally committed to doing so.

“I think he’ll be fine. He’s just got to run in there and hit it, you know?” Jacobs said this week when asked about Ware by a San Francisco-area reporter. “I mean, he can run it and stick it in there for you hard. He just can’t get hit 2 yards deep in the backfield. If he makes it to the line of scrimmage, he’ll be able to get his yards.”

Ware was committed to coming back this season in better shape and with a more muscular frame. One of his agents, Brent Nowicki, said he and his business partner arranged for Ware to work with a trainer last year but he didn’t follow up as he should have.

This year, Ware worked regularly with Atlanta-based trainer Jim Launer, who aimed to improve Ware’s balance, hips, agility and upper-body strength.

Launer, who trains many NFL players including the Falcons’ Roddy White, will be in Jersey for much of the season and plans to keep working with Ware.

“I came in with the mind frame that it was going to be my year, until they prove different, it’s going to be in my head,” Ware said. “I worked hard this offseason and I am going to continue working. I just need a shot to be the best player I can be.”

And to learn when to pause, when to juke and when to hit the accelerator.

Tom Coughlin noted Ware could’ve just run a little wider on his touchdown run to find a smoother path into the end zone. Instead, he tried to ram it up the middle and was forced to spin off of David Diehl’s back. A few minutes later, he was picking up his feet to avoid ankle-tacklers that didn’t exist.

Bradshaw realizes better awareness will come with more carries. And with the Giants’ coaches concerned about rookie David Wilson’s grasp of the playbook at this point, Ware might easily surpass last year’s 46 carries, which was a career-high for the sixth-year veteran.

“We like his abilities to get around blocks. We just want him to run through them (sometimes),” Bradshaw said. “He’s a strong back. He works on a lot of quickness drills, but we want him to be a bruiser. He can do a little bit of everything.

“All you can tell him is just to be more explosive and hit people in the mouth when he can.”

Notes: The Giants signed two of the three defensive tackles they worked out Tuesday. One of

them was Carlton Powell, the other was former Michigan State and Akron lineman Oren Wilson.

'Mystery Achiever said:
That blurb has been taken out of context by other outlets.
I didn't know about this when I heard the interview, but yesterday afternoon, Wilson was asked what area he had to improve in. His answer was........ learning the playbook.
Yeah he does. It's just people are taking it as he's struggling to learn it. He's just inexperienced, there's a difference.

The only thing scaring me away from Wilson is that Ware is still ahead of him on the depth chart. I could understand if he was in a deep talented backfield like San Fran or something, but outside of Bradshaw the entire backfield is terrible. Could be a case of being in Tom Coughlin's dog house, but I'm hoping to see some improvement. Banking on him being a dressable guy in fantasy this year

The only thing scaring me away from Wilson is that Ware is still ahead of him on the depth chart. I could understand if he was in a deep talented backfield like San Fran or something, but outside of Bradshaw the entire backfield is terrible. Could be a case of being in Tom Coughlin's dog house, but I'm hoping to see some improvement. Banking on him being a dressable guy in fantasy this year
Playing fantasy football for almost 20 years now and the last thing I would ever think about is the "depth chart" during the second week of preseason.

Users who are viewing this thread