What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (5 Viewers)

'matttyl said:
'Hooper31 said:
'biju said:
'matttyl said:
You're right in that I'd much rather have Luck or an unhurt Griffin. (I'm not totally sold on Tannehill personally.) For that matter, I'd rather have Aaron Rodgers too while we're dreaming up different QBs to stick back there. Ultimately, Seattle didn't have a top two pick so I'm not sure where you're going with this other than it's too bad that good players end up on crappy teams. Feel free to continue to moan about it though, as I'm sure you will.
The OP, or someone else a few pages back, saying that Wilson will end up as a top 2 rookie QB from this class, or that he will be better than RG3. You just said both of those are wrong.
So one fan (and a delusional one at that) is the basis of your argument? Ok. :shrug:
:goodposting: I've lost count of how many times I've tried to tell people that Scientist is a blind homer. We all have them. Every team. He's over the top. If you want direct an argument at him, please direct it at him. There's a much larger fan base that would have a rational discourse with you.
I guess my "argument" is that Wilson will not make a great FF QB, and you guys are making my argument for me. When you have a "dominate defense" and a great running game....if that's your team's "mindset", then you will continue to have low scoring games where your QB doesn't have to put up big numbers for your team to have "success" (wins). As this is a RW bandwagon thread, I thought the discussion would be about RW, and not about the Seattle Seahawks, though. When you look at the top FF QBs so far this year, you do see some similar traits, though....poor defense and poor running game. As such, as long as this "mindset" you talk about continues, RW will not be a great or likely even good FF QB (which is the argument this thread should be about).
Houston has a top D and arguably the best RB in the league. The running game holds back Schaub's numbers in a BIG way. He has proven that he has the ability to put the ball in the air, yet Kubiak's game plan continues to be run first, run second, in spite of having a very good QB and a Pro-Bowl WR in AJ. Russell is a rookie and is not being forced to put the team on his back like Luck/RG3/Tannehill is. I personally think that as Wilson develops and Seattle finds Wilson his "Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels", he'll be a very good QB. I think Wilson COULD become the QB that Philly wants Mike Vick to be.

'ImTheScientist said:
'cstu said:
Is this attempting to say that the passing game is stronger than the running game?This ratio (51.1% of total yards from passing) puts Seattle closer to a 50:50 split in passing yards to rushing yards than any team in the league. To me, in today's NFL, that shows that you have a poor QB (or at least below average). If Seattle is running that much, then they are seeing a lot of 8 and 9 in the box which you would think is opening up the passing game, right?
No, I completely agree with you. Wilson's completion percentage looks nice but he's only taken advantage of teams expecting the run. On 3rd down and 5+ yards to go, when teams are expecting a pass, he's 15 of 26 and only 7 of those were 1st downs.
Is he not supposed to take advantage of teams expecting the run?
I believe the point is that just about any QB could do that. It would be nice if Wilson could convert a 3rd and 5. As a Lynch owner, I'm tired of watching him scramble around and throw the ball away on 3rd down or dump it off for 2 yards.

I was not able to see any of this game.

Looks like Wilson had a decent game.

For those that watched the game did they open up the play book more than the last couple of games?

There is a true test for Wilson the next 3 weeks. They will need to score points against the Patriots this sunday. Seattle is an awesome defense but NE will score points.

Then they take on a defense as good as his in San Fran who have a better game managing QB at this stage in Smith. Therefore Wilson will have to out play Smith for them to win.

You then get the Lions who again will put some points up and force Seattle to score some points to win this game.

He needs to win 1 of these games and or not play poorly if they go 0 and 3 to avoid the Flynn buzz from generating.

You're right in that I'd much rather have Luck or an unhurt Griffin. (I'm not totally sold on Tannehill personally.) For that matter, I'd rather have Aaron Rodgers too while we're dreaming up different QBs to stick back there. Ultimately, Seattle didn't have a top two pick so I'm not sure where you're going with this other than it's too bad that good players end up on crappy teams. Feel free to continue to moan about it though, as I'm sure you will.
The OP, or someone else a few pages back, saying that Wilson will end up as a top 2 rookie QB from this class, or that he will be better than RG3. You just said both of those are wrong.
So one fan (and a delusional one at that) is the basis of your argument? Ok. :shrug:
:goodposting: I've lost count of how many times I've tried to tell people that Scientist is a blind homer. We all have them. Every team. He's over the top. If you want direct an argument at him, please direct it at him. There's a much larger fan base that would have a rational discourse with you.
I guess my "argument" is that Wilson will not make a great FF QB, and you guys are making my argument for me. When you have a "dominate defense" and a great running game....if that's your team's "mindset", then you will continue to have low scoring games where your QB doesn't have to put up big numbers for your team to have "success" (wins). As this is a RW bandwagon thread, I thought the discussion would be about RW, and not about the Seattle Seahawks, though. When you look at the top FF QBs so far this year, you do see some similar traits, though....poor defense and poor running game. As such, as long as this "mindset" you talk about continues, RW will not be a great or likely even good FF QB (which is the argument this thread should be about).
Houston has a top D and arguably the best RB in the league. The running game holds back Schaub's numbers in a BIG way. He has proven that he has the ability to put the ball in the air, yet Kubiak's game plan continues to be run first, run second, in spite of having a very good QB and a Pro-Bowl WR in AJ. Russell is a rookie and is not being forced to put the team on his back like Luck/RG3/Tannehill is. I personally think that as Wilson develops and Seattle finds Wilson his "Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels", he'll be a very good QB. I think Wilson COULD become the QB that Philly wants Mike Vick to be.
Schaub is incredibly efficient in his limited attempts. His career per pass stats rival those of Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. Wilson's per pass play numbers have him looking up at guys like Bradford, Weeden, Sanchez, and Cassell. Maybe he can turn it around, but so far he's been terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winds at 15-20 MPH with a 90 percent chance of rain

NE seems to have an advantage in poor conditions. they will stop the run forcing wilson to throw and i don't think that will go very well for him. i am expecting him to loose his job after this game with 2-3 picks

Winds at 15-20 MPH with a 90 percent chance of rainNE seems to have an advantage in poor conditions. they will stop the run forcing wilson to throw and i don't think that will go very well for him. i am expecting him to loose his job after this game with 2-3 picks
I'd bet a lot of money that he doesn't lose his job after this game no matter what the outcome is. That, and I don't believe NE is going to stop Marshawn Lynch today.

Winds at 15-20 MPH with a 90 percent chance of rainNE seems to have an advantage in poor conditions. they will stop the run forcing wilson to throw and i don't think that will go very well for him. i am expecting him to loose his job after this game with 2-3 picks
:lmao: I thought advantage is to a running team and defense.I would also bet money he doesn't LOOSE his job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't expect Wilson to have a good game today, but I do think Marshawn is going to have a great game today; New England's rush D is a mirage.

Wilson throws for 300/3 today in a 42-31 loss.
Pretty optimistic since he's only got 5 TD's (and 6 INTs) in 5 games.
Agreed on the TDs (I'm thinking one or two tops), although if you're going to be ragging on the INTs you've got to discount the 3 he's had in the past two games that weren't his fault (2 balls tipped into the defense, 1 receiver was tripped) and one at the end of a half that didn't make any difference in the game.

:lmao: I thought advantage is to a running team and defense.I would also bet money he doesn't LOOSE his job.
looks like i was wrong but sheesh, you don't seem to have the ability to comprehend anti-wilson posts. i guess blindly supporting your team works out on occasion.

Ngth

Russell Wilson conjures magic for Seattle Seahawks

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

The New England Patriots have lost three games they had no business losing. And the Seattle Seahawks pulled out another miracle at home.

The Seahawks pulled out a wild 24-23 victory on Sunday after Russell Wilson connected with Sidney Rice on a 46-yard touchdown pass with 87 seconds remaining to cap perhaps the most satisfying regular-season win of the Pete Carroll era. And one of the most painful regular-season Bill Belichick losses in a while.

"It was a heck of a throw. When I came out of my break, the whole time I was looking at the ball in the air and it was so pretty," Rice said, according to The Associated Press. "I was just running, I was like 'You've got to catch up to it, you've got to catch up to it,' and I was able to track it down."

Consider this: New England had a 13-point lead with less than eight minutes left against a rookie quarterback. Twice in the game, Tom Brady came away with no points after moving the ball inside the 10-yard line. Brady threw two second-half interceptions and made a number of missed throws and mental miscues. The Seahawks' defense gave up a lot of yards (475), but the unit forced a ton of errors and locked Brady down in the fourth quarter.

When the time came for a little late-game magic, Brady came up short. Wilson, on the other hand, connected on a beautiful bomb after Rice beat Patriots safety Tavon Wilson to the inside. New England was playing two safeties deep on the play, making that kind of mistake inexcusable.

The Patriots look like a dominant team that can't close out close games. The Seahawks look like a team with a great defense and a rookie quarterback who has a knack for making the inexplicable happen.

'flc735 said:
looks like i was wrong but sheesh, you don't seem to have the ability to comprehend anti-wilson posts. i guess blindly supporting your team works out on occasion.
To be specific, 4 times out of 6 so far.

One specific criticism of RW from yesterday.

On one play where Breno G. was called for a hold RW bailed on the pocket when he didn't have to. Pocket was holding up great, but RW's internal clock told him it was time to bolt. He attempted to roll out right around the back of Breno G. on the right side and Breno was flagged for the hold.

On a positive note it happened less than it has in the other games, but still something to improve on.

Took this kid in my dynasty draft this year and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what happens. He seems to be improving every week, and he's much, much more accurate than I'd expect a rookie QB to be.

Obviously RGIII is the rookie-year fantasy stud out of this class, and Luck is a the big name to hold for a season and use for the long haul, but Wilson's looking more and more like a Drew Brees-type of player. I think he could pay big dividends in the long run for dynasty teams who hold on for a year or two.

Positives I like so far:

* Accurate passer. I expect a high completion percentage. This is what makes him the very unTebow-like.

* Mature attitude and focus on improvement. I've been following him on twitter and several other Seahawk players. He has an uncommon continual improvement work ethic.

* Very solid citizen. He's been spending his off days visiting children's hospitals. He daily re-tweets his bible verse of the day. He's squeaky clean. In this regard he's very Tebow-like.

* He has the team behind him. His teammates want to win for him. They've bought in to Wilson as the starter.

* He avoids sacks and INTs. The numbers don't bear the INT comment out through the first five games, but its not hard to see he's averse to turning the ball over.

Negatives I don't like so far.

* He keeps bailing on the pocket. I know I mentioned above that I saw it once in the past game where Breno got flagged, but there are times he still looks too skittish and not trusting his protection. Is this natural for a rookie of six games? Probably. Will he improve? Time will tell, but there are times where its a bit too skittish. I wonder, did Brady, Brees, or Manning ever look like that?

* He's not as fast and elusive as I thought he was going to be. If you watch him run with the ball he's nowhere as quick as a Griffin or Vick. However, he does show good balance and runs low to the ground.

* Something from the positives... He's turnover averse. Can this be both a positive and a negative? Yeah, I think it can be. Is he going to trust his receivers to make plays on the ball? I saw some improvement yesterday. On the deep ball to Obomanu he threw it up for grabs, but all his other throws were fairly conservative. On a third and long at the end of the game he threw one out of bounds deep down the left side. IMO he has to at least give the WR a chance to make a play on the ball there. And this was in a game situation where they didn't know if they were going to get another opportunity.

Positives I like so far:* Accurate passer. I expect a high completion percentage. This is what makes him the very unTebow-like.* Mature attitude and focus on improvement. I've been following him on twitter and several other Seahawk players. He has an uncommon continual improvement work ethic.* Very solid citizen. He's been spending his off days visiting children's hospitals. He daily re-tweets his bible verse of the day. He's squeaky clean. In this regard he's very Tebow-like. * He has the team behind him. His teammates want to win for him. They've bought in to Wilson as the starter.* He avoids sacks and INTs. The numbers don't bear the INT comment out through the first five games, but its not hard to see he's averse to turning the ball over. Negatives I don't like so far.* He keeps bailing on the pocket. I know I mentioned above that I saw it once in the past game where Breno got flagged, but there are times he still looks too skittish and not trusting his protection. Is this natural for a rookie of six games? Probably. Will he improve? Time will tell, but there are times where its a bit too skittish. I wonder, did Brady, Brees, or Manning ever look like that?* He's not as fast and elusive as I thought he was going to be. If you watch him run with the ball he's nowhere as quick as a Griffin or Vick. However, he does show good balance and runs low to the ground.* Something from the positives... He's turnover averse. Can this be both a positive and a negative? Yeah, I think it can be. Is he going to trust his receivers to make plays on the ball? I saw some improvement yesterday. On the deep ball to Obomanu he threw it up for grabs, but all his other throws were fairly conservative. On a third and long at the end of the game he threw one out of bounds deep down the left side. IMO he has to at least give the WR a chance to make a play on the ball there. And this was in a game situation where they didn't know if they were going to get another opportunity.
:goodposting:

Positives I like so far:* Accurate passer. I expect a high completion percentage. This is what makes him the very unTebow-like.* Mature attitude and focus on improvement. I've been following him on twitter and several other Seahawk players. He has an uncommon continual improvement work ethic.* Very solid citizen. He's been spending his off days visiting children's hospitals. He daily re-tweets his bible verse of the day. He's squeaky clean. In this regard he's very Tebow-like. * He has the team behind him. His teammates want to win for him. They've bought in to Wilson as the starter.* He avoids sacks and INTs. The numbers don't bear the INT comment out through the first five games, but its not hard to see he's averse to turning the ball over. Negatives I don't like so far.* He keeps bailing on the pocket. I know I mentioned above that I saw it once in the past game where Breno got flagged, but there are times he still looks too skittish and not trusting his protection. Is this natural for a rookie of six games? Probably. Will he improve? Time will tell, but there are times where its a bit too skittish. I wonder, did Brady, Brees, or Manning ever look like that?* He's not as fast and elusive as I thought he was going to be. If you watch him run with the ball he's nowhere as quick as a Griffin or Vick. However, he does show good balance and runs low to the ground.* Something from the positives... He's turnover averse. Can this be both a positive and a negative? Yeah, I think it can be. Is he going to trust his receivers to make plays on the ball? I saw some improvement yesterday. On the deep ball to Obomanu he threw it up for grabs, but all his other throws were fairly conservative. On a third and long at the end of the game he threw one out of bounds deep down the left side. IMO he has to at least give the WR a chance to make a play on the ball there. And this was in a game situation where they didn't know if they were going to get another opportunity.
:goodposting:
I agree with most of that as well. He is showing improvement in all areas. The pass to Obo was more of a precision pass than I think Hooper gives credit for, really one if his best throws of the game, IMO. He stayed in the pocket more than before and the only really atrocious play where he looked like rookie was the quick screen that was busted from the start. One other area if improvement I saw was the snap count variations. If there was any question last week about a short leash, the rest of the naysayers ought to realize it isn't going to happen. For better or worse, he's the QB.

* He's not as fast and elusive as I thought he was going to be. If you watch him run with the ball he's nowhere as quick as a Griffin or Vick. However, he does show good balance and runs low to the ground.
:lol:

I was wrong about Wilson - I didn't think that he could do it this soon - I am looking forward to the (hopeful) NFL replay this week on NFLN.

I was wrong about Wilson - I didn't think that he could do it this soon - I am looking forward to the (hopeful) NFL replay this week on NFLN.
I'll wait until there is a bigger sample. Never subscribed to the Scam Newton bandwagon becasue I knew once defenses get enough film on these guys, they devise ways to stop them and then you see if they are capable of adapting. So far its No Go Newton.

He making a believer out of me, but can he do it against the 49ers?
the Seahawks can win it, but it will be a different contest. SF is (obviously) better defensively (than the Pats) and not as good on offense.
If you like defensive struggles with grind it out run-oriented offenses, this could be a great game. Actually excited to see what Wilson can do.

I'll wait until there is a bigger sample. Never subscribed to the Scam Newton bandwagon becasue I knew once defenses get enough film on these guys, they devise ways to stop them and then you see if they are capable of adapting. So far its No Go Newton.
good points, but Wilson did it on a big stage and he deserves his props - btw i never was a fan of Newton. I like Wilson's intangibles which Newton seems to lack.

He making a believer out of me, but can he do it against the 49ers?
Fully expecting a blood-bath. Defenses will determine this one. As a Seahawk homer I'm very worried about the TEs Davis and Walker. Seattle has struggled with the pair in the past. If you saw the Seattle game against Dallas earlier this year Witten was open a lot, but had an awful game. The fact that Bam Bam Kam lit him up a few times contributed, but I think if you ask Witten he would say he just had one of the worst games of his career.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB

The maturation of Russell Wilson. After his sixth NFL game Sunday, a 24-23 win over the Patriots at home, Wilson told Tom Brady on the field, "I have so much respect for you as a player and a person. It's great to play against you." He walked through the Seattle locker room, shaking hands with every player. He stopped to share a few moments with owner Paul Allen. In his post-game press conference, during which he deflected any praise about himself toward the team, he finished the way he finishes interviews broadcast live to Seattle fans: "Go Hawks!''

Good teammate. Good politician. Good guy. And a very quick study as a quarterback.

Last week, at Carolina, the coaches wanted him to play better on third downs; Wilson completed nine of 10 passes on third down in beating the Panthers. This week, coaches harped on two things: better production in the red zone, and, when scrambling, throwing the ball downfield if he had someone open, rather than running or taking the surer checkdown. Seattle scored on two of three trips into the red zone Sunday. And he threw 24- and 50-yard completions to Doug Baldwin on the run, flowing right.

Thirteen points down to Brady, in a heavy Seattle mist with nine minutes to go, Wilson led an 83-yard drive ending in his red-zone touchdown pass to Braylon Edwards. He got the ball back at his 43 with two minutes and change left. On the fourth play of the drive, from the Patriots' 46, Wilson started with play-action and rolled right. He said he wasn't sure Sidney Rice would be his target, and how could he know he'd be victimizing two New England rookies? But then he saw something: Rice getting an edge on a double-move on Tavon Wilson, feigning toward the corner then darting to the post.

"I had a feeling he'd open up,'' Wilson told me. "You never really wait until a guy is open. You have to anticipate. And I delivered the ball to a spot where I thought only Sidney would be able to catch it.''

Throwing from his own 46, Wilson released a high-arcing perfect spiral. Downfield, safety Nate Ebner, another New England rookie, sprinted over to help the Patriots' Wilson, who was two steps behind Rice. The ball landed 57 yards from the spot Wilson threw it, three yards deep in the end zone -- and right into Rice's hands. Perfect throw.

When Seattle GM John Schneider picked Wilson 75th overall, he was privately chided by his peers for picking Wilson too high. He's too small (5-foot-11), football people said; he won't be able to take the punishment of the pro game, and his arm's just okay. It's only six games, of course, and anything can happen, and he's had a couple of games of shaky decision-making. But that throw to Rice, 57 yards in the air and exactly on target, with a game against the three-time Super Bowl champions on the line, shows why Schneider made a great draft pick.

I asked Wilson if he was stunned to have beaten Tom Brady and the Patriots, with the Belichick-designed defense.

"No,'' he said. "Not at all. This is what I've been waiting for my whole life. God's given me a blessing and an opportunity. I've always looked up to Tom, even though he's 6-4, 6-5 and a different kind of player. He's so smart, got so much competitive fire and tenacity. He didn't get drafted high, and he had to work for everything he ever got. I really identify with him. I try to prepare the same way I know he prepares.''

There are good stories, and there's Russell Wilson beating the Patriots to send the loudest crowd in the NFL into bedlam.

Good post overall, but a few comments.
* He keeps bailing on the pocket. I know I mentioned above that I saw it once in the past game where Breno got flagged, but there are times he still looks too skittish and not trusting his protection. Is this natural for a rookie of six games? Probably. Will he improve? Time will tell, but there are times where its a bit too skittish. I wonder, did Brady, Brees, or Manning ever look like that?
I don't really understand the question. Wilson is a much more talented runner than Brady, Brees, and Manning ever were. It seems natural to me that he would choose to run more than they did.
No one should have been expecting him to be as quick or fast as Griffin or Vick, who are probably the two fastest QBs in NFL history. But Wilson seems pretty elusive to me... He looked pretty elusive on that 3rd down run where he eluded the entire defensive line and got the first down.
* Something from the positives... He's turnover averse. Can this be both a positive and a negative? Yeah, I think it can be. Is he going to trust his receivers to make plays on the ball? I saw some improvement yesterday. On the deep ball to Obomanu he threw it up for grabs, but all his other throws were fairly conservative. On a third and long at the end of the game he threw one out of bounds deep down the left side. IMO he has to at least give the WR a chance to make a play on the ball there. And this was in a game situation where they didn't know if they were going to get another opportunity.
At N.C. State, Wilson often put the ball up downfield to give his WRs a chance to make plays. In fact, he did it so often that he was sometimes criticized for it. My guess is that the Seattle coaching staff is coaching him not to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread