What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

Funny thing is Wilson leads luck in almost every statistical category yet he won't sniff ROY. Only more to fuel Wilsons fire.
“He’s now beaten Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady,” cornerback Richard Sherman said. “These are things you got to think about, but he might get overlooked because of where we are and the team he’s on.”

After the game, receivers talked glowingly about the e-mails and texts Wilson sends them at the beginning of every week to help them prepare for defenses. Tate recalled a text he received from Wilson on Monday that he said was “like a novel.”

“We communicate with him and he communicates with us,” Tate said. “He does everything perfect. I almost think he’s a perfect person.”
Most probably don't know that ^
Wilson could care less about the award.

Funny thing is Wilson leads luck in almost every statistical category yet he won't sniff ROY. Only more to fuel Wilsons fire.
“He’s now beaten Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady,” cornerback Richard Sherman said. “These are things you got to think about, but he might get overlooked because of where we are and the team he’s on.”

After the game, receivers talked glowingly about the e-mails and texts Wilson sends them at the beginning of every week to help them prepare for defenses. Tate recalled a text he received from Wilson on Monday that he said was “like a novel.”

“We communicate with him and he communicates with us,” Tate said. “He does everything perfect. I almost think he’s a perfect person.”
How much less could he care?

Wilson is not going to get OROY. Regardless of statistics, Luck is winning on his throws. Now, he's not doing as much with those throws, isn't as consistent and has a lot more INTs, but he's still winning those games solely on his arm. Right now Russell has won three games with his arm (Packers, Patriots, Bears) and the rest were either running or defensive "wins". We as a fanbase need to stop worrying about "respect" and just silently make the entire league pay for it.

You mean "couldn't care less". By saying "could care less" you are suggesting there is some amount of care. Knowledge is power.How do you know Wilson couldn't care less about the ROY? Im not saying he does, I don't personally know Wilson.

Wilson continues to prove that he can play extremely well in this league. He has been one of the great stories of the NFL. He has definitely made me eat my words. I thought Flynn was the obvious choice to start for the Seahawks this at the start of the year but boy was I wrong.

This is a kid that has over come doubt for various reasons, primarily his height, but continues to prove that Seattle has found a gem in a spot you normally don't find it at the QB position.

With all of the murky QB situations in the NFL and poor QB play, the Seahawk faithful have every right to be excited about what their rookie QB has done this year.

In saying that, Wilson in most years would be the front runner for OROY. This year he is making a push to pass RGIII as of late, but he is sitting at 3rd in my books behind Luck and RGIII. I have Wilson at 3 and Martin at 4. I started a thread to explain why I feel Luck sits at the top.

You mean "couldn't care less". By saying "could care less" you are suggesting there is some amount of care. Knowledge is power.How do you know Wilson couldn't care less about the ROY? Im not saying he does, I don't personally know Wilson.
If knowledge is power you must be impotent. "Could care less" is an North American informal colloquialism, at least according to the OED. The funny thing is I use it intentionally, since in college he was asked about winning the Heisman and his response was along the lines of "it would be nice, but only winning matters (to me)." So he cares a bit, maybe, but could care less about the award. By the bye, the American version is more sonorous as well.

If knowledge is power you must be impotent. "Could care less" is an North American informal colloquialism, at least according to the OED. The funny thing is I use it intentionally, since in college he was asked about winning the Heisman and his response was along the lines of "it would be nice, but only winning matters (to me)." So he cares a bit, maybe, but could care less about the award. By the bye, the American version is more sonorous as well.
Oh, Im sure you use it wrong intentionally. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Im sure you use it wrong intentionally. :rolleyes:
Seriously, your fallacious adherence to your version of things is entertaining but, yes, I prefer the American colloquialism in this instance and in others. And no amount of pouting on your part is going to change that. About that I couldn't care less.ETA: yes, I even started a sentence with "And"! The horror...

Wilson continues to prove that he can play extremely well in this league. He has been one of the great stories of the NFL. He has definitely made me eat my words. I thought Flynn was the obvious choice to start for the Seahawks this at the start of the year but boy was I wrong. This is a kid that has over come doubt for various reasons, primarily his height, but continues to prove that Seattle has found a gem in a spot you normally don't find it at the QB position. With all of the murky QB situations in the NFL and poor QB play, the Seahawk faithful have every right to be excited about what their rookie QB has done this year.In saying that, Wilson in most years would be the front runner for OROY. This year he is making a push to pass RGIII as of late, but he is sitting at 3rd in my books behind Luck and RGIII. I have Wilson at 3 and Martin at 4. I started a thread to explain why I feel Luck sits at the top.
Well said, but as things stand today I think it's RGIII's to lose. Luck has been phenomenal though.

What's the thoughts in him fantasy wise next week?
I expect the Seahawks to have this game in hand by halftime. If I were to purely guess on stats, I'm thinking his usual stat line of 14-17 completions for a 65% completion percentage and 8 YPA along with 2 TDs, 0 INTs. That ends up at about 172-209 yards. Add in another 2 carries for 11-15 yards. I might even go on the low side of that because there will be a heavy dose of BeastMode in this one.

Will the 2 DB's for Seattle play next week? Will it have any effect?

(yes still talking about week 14 just to be clear)

On Seattle's first eight drives, he went 14-of-25 for 178 yards with seven first downs and two sacks. He also had four runs for 24 yards and one first down. On their last two drives, the 97-yard go-ahead touchdown drive in the fourth quarter and the game-winner in overtime, he went 9-of-12 for 118 yards with two touchdowns and four other first downs, and also ran five times for 47 yards and four first downs, including conversions of third-and-2 and third-and-5 in overtime. His last seven passes of the game were all complete, five of them for first downs or touchdowns. He did all this against the Chicago Bears, which regular QR readers will know by now has been by far the league's best passing defense. Wilson became the tenth player this year to throw at least 30 passes against Chicago, but the first to do so without throwing an interception. When you account for opponent adjustments and include rushing data, this wasn't just the most valuable game for a quarterback this week, it was the most valuable game for a rookie quarterback in Football Outsiders' database going back to 1991.
http://footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2012/week-13-quick-reads :thumbup:

I also love how you homers get all offended because I think Luck should/will win.

Just because I think he should win it doesn't mean I'm taking anything away from your boy. :shrug:

Luck has done more with much, much, much less.
When you say Luck has done more, what exactly are you referring to? And that he has done it with much (...) less, have you seen Seattle's WR's throughout the entire season? They have not exactly been consistent. Wayne is hands down the best WR of the lot.
Good job pointing out one receiver.You left out their respective running games and defenses.

GO!
I assumed you were talking about offensive weapons, since neither QB is responsible for the play of the D. If you've been watching, Seattle's D has been soft up the middle and prone to giving up big plays. Their corners are getting beat repeatedly and even Earl Thomas has looked pedestrian today. Seattle's D hasn't been very good as a unit since the San Francisco loss.So how has Luck done more?
Good posting. Seattle's D hasn't been playing all that well as of late. And so look at Wilson's performance over that stretch. Coincidence? I can't fault anyone with going for Luck or RG3. It's Wilson's bad luck to be in their class. Any other year he would be getting lots of hype from the media for what he's done.

But having a strong running game and defense can definitely put handcuffs on a young QB and depress his statistical output. We were seeing that early on. But as Wilson's had opportunities, or necessities as it were, he's definitely risen to the occasion. Indy made the decision early to give Luck the ball and see what happens. What did they have to lose? But Seattle didn't and Carroll was playing it very tight. But you can see him being more and more willing to give Wilson the ball as he's inspired confidence and game situations have required.

I'm an owner, so I am probably biased, but I am looking forward to the next few years for this kid.

Seahawks have played a much tougher overall schedule than the Colts have.

Wilson is the better QB.
Ya know, I love that Seattle has some crazy faithful fans. The noise they make at home games makes a difference. That said, bro you're making me cringe here.

I think this quarterback class has a chance to be a very special one, but there's not a GM in the NFL that would take Wilson ahead of Luck, RG3, or Tanneyhill. Maybe not even Cousins, but Wilson is doing a damn fine job of showing he belongs in the NFL to this point.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/83695/wilson-luck-vs-same-seven-opponentsMaybe you make me cringe.....bro.

Seattle's D hasn't been very good as a unit since the San Francisco loss.
And yet they are still ranked 4th in the NFL.Look, Wilson has been great this year, and should definitely be in the conversation for ROTY, but he should not be ahead of RG3 (the current frontrunner, IMO) or Luck.

And yet they are still ranked 4th in the NFL.Look, Wilson has been great this year, and should definitely be in the conversation for ROTY, but he should not be ahead of RG3 (the current frontrunner, IMO) or Luck.
Their ranking is immaterial. But since you like rankings, how does Luck's stack up versus RGIII or Wilson?

Their ranking is immaterial. But since you like rankings, how does Luck's stack up versus RGIII or Wilson?
Luck's ranking? Via what standard? I mean, Luck has a better W/L record and a better QBR, but Wilson has a better TD-INT ratio, YPA and passer rating. RG3 has them both beat in every category except W/L record (which is obviously a team stat). Wilson has a great running game and a great defense; Luck has neither; RG3 has a great running game and a bad defense. This is never an exact science as far as just looking at stats and saying, "This guy is better." All three guys are playing terrific, especially for rookies, but Luck and RG3 were the top two picks, so they are naturally gonna get more coverage than Wilson will; Wilson playing in the oft-ignored Seattle doesn't help either. But being a top pick puts you under more pressure, and Luck and RG3 have both lived up to it, and then some. They should get credit for that. Just like Wilson should not only winning the starting job in Seattle in the preseason, but flourishing with it.

But being a top pick puts you under more pressure, and Luck and RG3 have both lived up to it, and then some. They should get credit for that. Just like Wilson should not only winning the starting job in Seattle in the preseason, but flourishing with it.
You don't think being a 3rd round pick, 5'11", and having the "experts" saying you can't do it puts you under pressure? Wilson is the best in this class because he works harder than every single rookie, and Im willing to bet he works harder than almost every single NFL Vet.

But being a top pick puts you under more pressure, and Luck and RG3 have both lived up to it, and then some. They should get credit for that. Just like Wilson should not only winning the starting job in Seattle in the preseason, but flourishing with it.
You don't think being a 3rd round pick, 5'11", and having the "experts" saying you can't do it puts you under pressure? Wilson is the best in this class because he works harder than every single rookie, and Im willing to bet he works harder than almost every single NFL Vet.
You have lost your mind, Russ. It's borderline insane how much you are in love with yourself.

It's funny, I was in here earlier in the season defending Wilson (and even more regarding Pete Carroll's decision to go with him) but now I really don't feel the need to. If you guys truly can't see that he's on his way to being at least an above average QB by now you won't be satisfied until the end of 2013 too because I'm certain this thread is going to quickly turn into a regression to the mean (although no mean will have been established other than 2012), sophomore slump a la Cam Newton, or something equally off-putting where you simply don't buy it or can manage to (poorly) justify your doubt (Packers fans will still point to "that game", Rams/Cards fans will just be jealous, SF fans are just too full of hate).

All of that is good. I agree in that he should be able to prove himself again before we anoint him. But at least the conversation has changed in the direction it should be, instead of the "too short", "Matt Flynn got a raw deal", "can he see over the line?", "how much are they paying Matt Flynn again?" garbage he was getting earlier.

Luck's ranking? Via what standard? I mean, Luck has a better W/L record and a better QBR, but Wilson has a better TD-INT ratio, YPA and passer rating. RG3 has them both beat in every category except W/L record (which is obviously a team stat). Wilson has a great running game and a great defense; Luck has neither; RG3 has a great running game and a bad defense. This is never an exact science as far as just looking at stats and saying, "This guy is better." All three guys are playing terrific, especially for rookies, but Luck and RG3 were the top two picks, so they are naturally gonna get more coverage than Wilson will; Wilson playing in the oft-ignored Seattle doesn't help either. But being a top pick puts you under more pressure, and Luck and RG3 have both lived up to it, and then some. They should get credit for that. Just like Wilson should not only winning the starting job in Seattle in the preseason, but flourishing with it.
Again, why do you think Seattle's D is great and why do you think that helps Wilson's stats? They aren't and they don't. I agree that RGIII has played better than both, and he has helped create his great running game.

'proninja said:
Alright guys. Luck v. Wilson is a stupid argument. Regardless of which side of it you're on. There's no way to tell who is doing what is asked of them better. As a Seahawks fan, you should be thrilled there's even a conversation. I'd imagine fans of both teams are absolutely thrilled with their young QB. As they should be.
Exactly. This is why tiers are so much better tools at evaluating talent than rankings. I think we should be able to agree that Wilson, Luck and RG3 are all performing very well and there are 4 more games to go with all three in playoff races.Value of course is not the same as simply putting stats side by side. Popularity and pedigree will always influence perception.

Russell Wilson week 13 vs the tough bears def looks a lot like Russell Wilson against 4th stringers in the preseason games.

lod01, don't feed the trolls. :thumbup: :thumbup:
How about this one: The way this team is playing tells me that if Flynn was the QB, they would be undefeated.
Uh, no.
Again, why do you think Seattle's D is great and why do you think that helps Wilson's stats? They aren't and they don't.
Seattle's defense is 4th in total defense and 3rd in points allowed. That's not great? Really?

lod01, don't feed the trolls. :thumbup: :thumbup:
How about this one: The way this team is playing tells me that if Flynn was the QB, they would be undefeated.
Uh, no.
Again, why do you think Seattle's D is great and why do you think that helps Wilson's stats? They aren't and they don't.
Seattle's defense is 4th in total defense and 3rd in points allowed. That's not great? Really?
No, they're not. Look at their splits and the past 6 games. They've been just above average. There are very few great D's in the league, and Seattle isn't one of them. The fact that their play has fallen off is helping Wilson's numbers.

'proninja said:
Changed my mind.Just saw Wilson get ahead of the play and lead block for Lynch on a TD run...Russell Wilson could be ROY
I would like him to stop doing this please
It's in his nature. I remember one time when he was playing at N.C. State when he completed a pass over the middle and the receiver ran some with the ball and then was stripped about 20-25 yards downfield, and Wilson was there to recover the fumble. I don't recall ever seeing that from a QB before.

'proninja said:
Changed my mind.Just saw Wilson get ahead of the play and lead block for Lynch on a TD run...Russell Wilson could be ROY
I would like him to stop doing this please
It's in his nature. I remember one time when he was playing at N.C. State when he completed a pass over the middle and the receiver ran some with the ball and then was stripped about 20-25 yards downfield, and Wilson was there to recover the fumble. I don't recall ever seeing that from a QB before.
Did this last week on a Lynch fumble too, about 12 yards downfield right by the sideline.

And that's some of the "it" that this kid has. He's a football player in his blood. Risky stuff for a QB to do, but it earns him all sorts of credit with his teammates and shows where his heart is.

Picked Wilson up solely for this week :thumbup:

Just wish I started him in both leagues instead of just 1...Over 20pts less than 10 minutes into the game.

Users who are viewing this thread