What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (6 Viewers)

Sick burn. Have watched every QB make a bad throw in much lesser situations. That throw wasn't even awful, dumb call and a great play by Butler.

Wilson in clutch situations is amazing, unreal composure. Maybe we will get to see a little more out of Cam, Palmer this year. Haven't been blown away with those results so far. Would take Wilson over both those guys in playoff game.

Luck may have to wait a few years.
:P

Wilson's nerd stats like Passer Rating are crazy high, only behind Rodgers and Steve Young if I remember right. Ahead of everyone else. Guy is so good and for the most part gets credit. Everyone once and a while some writer puts up some clickbait about how he is a system QB or some nonsense. Usually it's not some meathead coach of an awful team.

dirtyjay said:
MG345 said:
Except he is out playing everyone of those QBs this year, and most of them the last 4.
He is out playing Brady?

He is out playing Cam?

He is out playing Palmer?

He is out playing Rodgers?

This is exactly what happens when a player gets hot, people get excited and lose their minds.

I can make a case that Bortles is playing better than him this season.

Just look at Wilsons first 10 games, get back to me.
Yep, better than all of those players over the course of the season, and better than most of those players the last 4 years. The numbers don't lie, and neither do the wins. Yes, he has had cold stretches. Even in those stretches he was incredibly efficient with the ball, despite playing behind one of the worst lines in the league. It isn't like his passer rating, completion %, deep ball efficiency, etc, all sprung up over night.
The numbers lied to you or you are reading them wrong.

All 4 are better than Russell in fantasy stats in PPR and all have as many if not more wins and one is undefeated.

Are you just trying to be silly, because its working.

To say he has been better than Brady is a flat out ridiculous remark.
Wasn't talking fantasy stats.

Wins I was referring to his total since entering the league.

I mean which side of the line are trying to play? He is very clearly playing better than almost every QB at this moment, and his season stats in terms of per pass are top 3 in almost every major category.

Over the past 4 years, he has outplayed pretty much everyone you listed outside of Brady and Rodgers.

Stop feeding the troll. Just put him on ignore and move on. Your life will be much more fulfilling.

Stop feeding the troll. Just put him on ignore and move on. Your life will be much more fulfilling.
Sorry, I don't keep up with who is a troll and who is serious. It is just funny to me how under rated RW is at this point. Not saying the Hawks are going all the way, but there isn't another QB I would trade him for. That he is still so young and showing such growth, I think people are hesitant to compare him to guys that have done it longer. But, he passes the eye test, his per pass #s are elite, and he is a leader on/off the field. What more could you ask for, other than simply time for him to catch up stat wise to the rest of the top tier guys?

And if that is your argument, that other players have done it longer, I won't disagree -- but that isn't exactly a counter point to how good RW is compared to the rest of the league NOW.

dirtyjay said:
proninja said:
Ladsud said:
Browns coach Mike Pettine said Wednesday that he would not include Russell Wilson in the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.
"Would you put him there with the guys that can transcend their supporting cast?" Pettine asked rhetorically. "The Bradys, whether it's Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, the ones that you would consider the two, three, four elite guys? No. But he's certainly played himself into that next tier." Pettine indicated he believes Wilson's success is a "function" of Wilson's supporting cast -- a supporting cast that this year has included one of the NFL's worst offensive lines, the loss of Jimmy Graham to a torn patellar tendon, an injury-decimated running game, and no prototype No. 1 receiver. "He plays at a high level, he's very productive and they win," Pettine continued. "Now a lot of that I think is a function, too, is he's the perfect quarterback for what they do. To me it goes both ways."
Gonna be awesome when Russell shreds his team this weekend with Bryce Brown, Christine Michael, Doug Baldwin, Luke Willson, and Tyler Lockett

Also, I love that Carroll always has positive things to say about the opponents' stars.
Brady

Ben

Palmer

Cam

Rodgers

Luck

That is 6. No Wilson is not a Top 5 QB in the NFL.

Give Luck Seattles D and run game.
How in the world is Ben better than Wilson right now? Ben's skill position players (even with Bell being hurt and Bryant missing the first four games) are miles ahead of Wilson's, yet Wilson is slaying him this year in performance and stats.

He put the team on his shoulders as his star players (Lynch, Graham, Rawls) all went done. A really impressive display.

I'm glad Wilson is playing so well, but I want to take a moment to give Darrell Bevell a nod. Offensive play caller is an easy target when things are going poorly, but right now dude is on fire.

I think the baton has officially been passed from Lynch to Wilson now.

I've been on this bandwagon since early on but he just keeps proving he does whatever needs to be done despite the lackluster talent that surrounds him.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been on this bandwagon since early on but he just keeps proving he does whatever needs to be done despite the lackluster talent that surrounds him.
I'll wait until they are both playing and Wilson is seeing the majority of the work before anointing Wilson. This is still a run-first team.

I'll wait until they are both playing and Wilson is seeing the majority of the work before anointing Wilson. This is still a run-first team.
Are you really expecting Lynch back next year at this point?

The Seahawks have 1143 rushing yards in the 7 games Lynch has missed this season, an average of 163 per game. They have 923 rushing yards in the 7 games Lynch played in this season, an average of 132 per game. They just don't need Lynch any more in order to have a successful running game. :shrug:

Meanwhile, the Seahawks will save $6.5M against the cap if Lynch isn't back, and it seems reasonable that they could count on Rawls as their lead RB going forward, whether they keep Jackson, Michael, and/or Brown behind him or backfill with others.

Just look at the trends, year over year. No drastic change, but there has already been a slow shift in progress.

Team passing attempts:

2012: 405

2013: 420

2014: 454

2015: 416 in 14 games in 2015, on pace for 475

Team RB rushing attempts:

2012: 429

2013: 399

2014: 388

2015: 339 in 14 games in 2015, on pace for 387

And now Wilson is having this amazing run of success, which should only encourage the team to rely upon him more in the future. IMO he has already been 'anointed.'

Are you really expecting Lynch back next year at this point?

The Seahawks have 1143 rushing yards in the 7 games Lynch has missed this season, an average of 163 per game. They have 923 rushing yards in the 7 games Lynch played in this season, an average of 132 per game. They just don't need Lynch any more in order to have a successful running game. :shrug:

Meanwhile, the Seahawks will save $6.5M against the cap if Lynch isn't back, and it seems reasonable that they could count on Rawls as their lead RB going forward, whether they keep Jackson, Michael, and/or Brown behind him or backfill with others.

Just look at the trends, year over year. No drastic change, but there has already been a slow shift in progress.

Team passing attempts:

2012: 405

2013: 420

2014: 454

2015: 416 in 14 games in 2015, on pace for 475

Team RB rushing attempts:

2012: 429

2013: 399

2014: 388

2015: 339 in 14 games in 2015, on pace for 387

And now Wilson is having this amazing run of success, which should only encourage the team to rely upon him more in the future. IMO he has already been 'anointed.'
I suspect they'll ask him to take a paycut (not sure how much) but also a reduction in playing time as well with him and Rawls splitting carries. The only thing I could reasonably see changing this is if we have a strong backup as well which we likely do not have on the roster.

I think people are a little too dismissive of the impact Lynch has on the defense and their preparation. As much as I like Rawls, Lynch is still much, much better than he is. Plus, we're not nearly in as dire of a cap situation so we don't necessarily need to reclaim that money. We have 32 players under contract for 2016 with nearly $30M to spare. The only situation I like is freeing up that money to re-sign Baldwin, but I still would prefer Lynch return as opposed to saving that money.

I think people are a little too dismissive of the impact Lynch has on the defense and their preparation. As much as I like Rawls, Lynch is still much, much better than he is. Plus, we're not nearly in as dire of a cap situation so we don't necessarily need to reclaim that money. We have 32 players under contract for 2016 with nearly $30M to spare. The only situation I like is freeing up that money to re-sign Baldwin, but I still would prefer Lynch return as opposed to saving that money.
Probably not the thread for this, but I disagree with the bolded. Things change quickly in the NFL. IMO Lynch is in decline and will never again be what he was 2011-2014. Meanwhile, what we saw from Rawls was very reminiscent of the best of Lynch, albeit in a small sample size. I don't see that opposing defenses would prepare significantly differently to face Lynch than Rawls, but I'm interested in an explanation on that.

Does it make sense to keep Lynch because of his locker room presence? Would he be a good mentor for Rawls (and other RBs)? I don't know the answers to these questions. Smart organizations don't get sentimental about these decisions, and Seattle is definitely a smart organization. So they would have to feel that keeping Lynch at his price gives them a better chance to win than to part ways and spend the money elsewhere.

One thing is definitely true. You don't have to be in a dire cap situation to put $6.5M to good use.

Probably not the thread for this, but I disagree with the bolded. Things change quickly in the NFL. IMO Lynch is in decline and will never again be what he was 2011-2014. Meanwhile, what we saw from Rawls was very reminiscent of the best of Lynch, albeit in a small sample size. I don't see that opposing defenses would prepare significantly differently to face Lynch than Rawls, but I'm interested in an explanation on that.

Does it make sense to keep Lynch because of his locker room presence? Would he be a good mentor for Rawls (and other RBs)? I don't know the answers to these questions. Smart organizations don't get sentimental about these decisions, and Seattle is definitely a smart organization. So they would have to feel that keeping Lynch at his price gives them a better chance to win than to part ways and spend the money elsewhere.

One thing is definitely true. You don't have to be in a dire cap situation to put $6.5M to good use.
This is the part I disagree with, or rather, I cannot definitively say. There's no information on how long his injury has plagued him (or that I could find) so this year could easily have been due to injury. Sure, you can imply this is age related and he's wearing down or that it is due to his violent running nature and eventually that will be true. I still am not convinced I've seen a fully healthy Marshawn in 2015.

You very well could be right, but I think $6.5M to ensure (as best you can) another dominant run game in 2016 isn't very much money.

Not on this site, but last year I was very critical of Doug Baldwin, but his streak with Wilson is pretty incredible. He tied Jerry Rice as the only receiver in NFL history to catch 10 TD passes in four games. He also joined Cris Carter and Calvin Johnson as the only players to produce multiple receiving touchdowns in four straight games.

Even prior to this streak, he was doing (blocking, running tight routes, being his usual sure hands self) and saying all the right things by being a tremendous leader for the receiving corps.

^Freelove is another poster who bashed Wilson quite a bit, and I haven't seen him around for a while either.

I can admit I missed big time on Wilson but as far as getting the ball to Jimmy Graham, he couldn't get it done.

I haven't responded to some of the discussion we've had earlier this year with regard to Wilson's passing attempts. Not even sure which thread it was in. Saw this past week that Seattle is still at or near the bottom in passing attempts. I'm wondering if Wilson's increases matchup with the increases across the NFL. Even when he's been lighting it up lately he's not getting anywhere near 40 attempts in a game. Also, saw some interesting data this past week (I think via Davis Hsu on twitter) with regard to the number of plays Seattle runs compared to the rest of the NFL. The discussion revolved around Seattle's purposeful slow play to attempt to keep the number of snaps down in every game. This is in regard to keeping the defense off the field more than anything else. The short version was that Seattle's defense has played nearly any entire game less than anyone else. Just food for thought. Will respond in more detail with data when I get a chance.

I haven't responded to some of the discussion we've had earlier this year with regard to Wilson's passing attempts. Not even sure which thread it was in. Saw this past week that Seattle is still at or near the bottom in passing attempts. I'm wondering if Wilson's increases matchup with the increases across the NFL. Even when he's been lighting it up lately he's not getting anywhere near 40 attempts in a game. Also, saw some interesting data this past week (I think via Davis Hsu on twitter) with regard to the number of plays Seattle runs compared to the rest of the NFL. The discussion revolved around Seattle's purposeful slow play to attempt to keep the number of snaps down in every game. This is in regard to keeping the defense off the field more than anything else. The short version was that Seattle's defense has played nearly any entire game less than anyone else. Just food for thought. Will respond in more detail with data when I get a chance.
This is interesting, and I look forward to you posting more data. However, nothing you posted here seems to address anything in the post you quoted. :confused:

I know Wilson has been red red hot but with St. Louis weak on offense and the possibility that Baldwin won't be available, would it be possible that Wilson has a pedestrian game?

This is interesting, and I look forward to you posting more data. However, nothing you posted here seems to address anything in the post you quoted. :confused:
Apologies. Wasn't intended to be in reference to that specific post. Just wanted to let you know that our previous discussion has been on my mind and that I plan to share some information with you. We hadn't really "debated". If I recall correctly it was more of a discussion about data and where this data leads.

Is Wilson throwing the ball more?

Is it a factor of pass attempts in wins vs losses?

How does the Wilson data compare to the rest of the NFL?

That last one is the one that interests me more. I believe (no idea how correct this belief is) the entire league is going nuts throwing the ball. Recent data I've seen indicated that Seattle is still near the bottom in pass attempts, but there are quite a few factors involved. Davis Hsu (I think) indicated this past week that Seattle is sort of the anti-Chip Kelly. They are purposefully slow to the line of scrimmage. They want to shorten the game. Less plays on both sides of the ball. I could just go to any number of websites and look at the numbers, but its all relative. I think its more interesting to know how many standard deviations away from the mean they are instead of what their rank is. Perhaps there is very little spread and the rank is almost meaningless.

This is the part I disagree with, or rather, I cannot definitively say. There's no information on how long his injury has plagued him (or that I could find) so this year could easily have been due to injury. Sure, you can imply this is age related and he's wearing down or that it is due to his violent running nature and eventually that will be true. I still am not convinced I've seen a fully healthy Marshawn in 2015.

You very well could be right, but I think $6.5M to ensure (as best you can) another dominant run game in 2016 isn't very much money.
This is an interesting article: OL coach Tom Cable: If Marshawn Lynch returns, he must “adapt to us”

I read it as supporting my view on this.

Apologies. Wasn't intended to be in reference to that specific post. Just wanted to let you know that our previous discussion has been on my mind and that I plan to share some information with you. We hadn't really "debated". If I recall correctly it was more of a discussion about data and where this data leads.

Is Wilson throwing the ball more?

Is it a factor of pass attempts in wins vs losses?

How does the Wilson data compare to the rest of the NFL?

That last one is the one that interests me more. I believe (no idea how correct this belief is) the entire league is going nuts throwing the ball. Recent data I've seen indicated that Seattle is still near the bottom in pass attempts, but there are quite a few factors involved. Davis Hsu (I think) indicated this past week that Seattle is sort of the anti-Chip Kelly. They are purposefully slow to the line of scrimmage. They want to shorten the game. Less plays on both sides of the ball. I could just go to any number of websites and look at the numbers, but its all relative. I think its more interesting to know how many standard deviations away from the mean they are instead of what their rank is. Perhaps there is very little spread and the rank is almost meaningless.
Here is some play data:

• The Seahawks are averaging 64.2 offensive plays per game. The league average is 64.5; the league high is 70.3 (HOU); the league low is 56.9 (STL).
  • The Seahawks are averaging 29.7 passing attempts per game. The league average is 35.9; the league high is 42.1 (SD); the league low is 29.3 (MIN).
  • The Seahawks are averaging 31.6 rushing attempts per game. The league average is 26.3; the league high is 33.9 (CAR); the league low is 20.4 (MIA).
  • The Seahawks are averaging 59.7 defensive plays per game, which is the league low. The league average is 64.5; the league high is 70.9 (PHI).
IMO the key to all of this is how effective and efficient the offense is:

• Though they are tied for #18 in offensive plays, the Seahawks are #8 in first downs, #7 in points, and #3 in average yards per play. They are #5 in percentage of drives that end in an offensive score.
  • Meanwhile, they have just 13 turnovers and they are #5 in percentage of drives that end in turnovers.
This is certainly a credit to the offensive philosophy, coaching staff, and players, but the single most important person in this success is Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach Pete Carroll said the Seahawks' 2016 offense will resemble its form in the second half of last year.
"Our rhythm throughout camp, we stayed connected to what we did in the second half of the year,’’ Carroll said. "We went in determined to do that, and right from the get-go when we got back here on the field we were at it with tempo and timing." Long a run-foundation team, the Seahawks embraced more spread concepts and a ball-out-quick passing game following their Week 9 bye. Russell Wilson compiled a 24:1 TD-to-INT ratio in the final seven weeks.

Source: Seattle Times 
Jun 17 - 8:07 PM

According to Football Outsiders, Russell Wilson was the most successful quarterback in the league when working from a clean pocket.
He was also the fourth-best quarterback while under pressure, but his DVOA of 86.4 percent was far and away the best when unpressured. PFF's charting agrees, showing Wilson completed almost 73 percent of his passes and compiled a 26-to-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio when not under pressure last season. These stats raise questions about the Seahawks decision to basically ignore the offensive line over the last several years. While Wilson has been excellent regardless, it appears he could be even better if given time to throw.

Source: Football Outsiders 
Jul 19 - 9:23 AM

Users who are viewing this thread