What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (3 Viewers)

If you wanted to make the argument that 1 game proved that, you could have picked any of this other great games towards the end of the season to make that argument, but not this one.
I disagree. Throw the final numbers out the window. He was instrumental in a playoff win on the road where his team went down 14-0 in the 1st Q. That's huge. Only the game at Solider Field comes close.

'proninja said:
bayhawks and the people arguing with him are destroying this thread. It's a ridiculous argument. Stop it. All of you.
The thread needed a little fuel since it's a slow day.

Why are there so many Seattle fans defensive about Wilson? He has had a very good rookie year. Perhaps even the second best rookie year out there. He has now won a playoff game and actually played a pretty big part in that game. Was he great in that game? Not overly, but he did more then enough to be a factor and help the team win.Some of you Seattle fans are starting to drive me crazy. It appears as though they have found the SOD with Wilson and it was a tremendous pick. It seems as though many Seahawks fans will argue with themselves to prove that no one is giving Seattle or Wilson respect and if he does not win rookie of the year it is a farce. It is a farce not because there have been some other great rookies this year but because their golden child plays on the west coast and nobody cares about him or Seattle.Real football fans and analysts and people in the know can see that Wilson has taken massive strides as the season has went on. He appears to be a very good qb in the now and going forward. The kid works hard, studies hard, and his team and fans love him. Could you Seattle fans stop arguing with anyone that posts anything critical about his play. I mean even Brady and Brees and Rogers make bad plays and have off games. It does not mean that no one likes the kid geeeze.

Carter, be strong. You can weather this.On the other hand, why not address the arguments and learn from them or contribute to them rather than complain?

Carter, be strong. You can weather this.On the other hand, why not address the arguments and learn from them or contribute to them rather than complain?
Ok I will bite.There is little to be learnt about people arguing 2 pages worth about a dump off pass that went for a td. There have been some good arguments and debate throughout this thread but to many horses being beaten to death.You seem to really like Wilson and good for you. He is a very good player and proving a lot of people wrong. The problem is you don't handle any criticism of Wilson well. It is coming across as anyone that crticizes his play is a hater or not worthy of pointing out mistakes Wilson has made. It is a tiresome act.

Ok I will bite.There is little to be learnt about people arguing 2 pages worth about a dump off pass that went for a td. There have been some good arguments and debate throughout this thread but to many horses being beaten to death.You seem to really like Wilson and good for you. He is a very good player and proving a lot of people wrong. The problem is you don't handle any criticism of Wilson well. It is coming across as anyone that crticizes his play is a hater or not worthy of pointing out mistakes Wilson has made. It is a tiresome act.
All I asked was for you to make it about the arguments. You failed to do that. This isn't a personal thing, why pretend it is?

Why are there so many Seattle fans defensive about Wilson? He has had a very good rookie year. Perhaps even the second best rookie year out there. He has now won a playoff game and actually played a pretty big part in that game. Was he great in that game? Not overly, but he did more then enough to be a factor and help the team win.Some of you Seattle fans are starting to drive me crazy. It appears as though they have found the SOD with Wilson and it was a tremendous pick. It seems as though many Seahawks fans will argue with themselves to prove that no one is giving Seattle or Wilson respect and if he does not win rookie of the year it is a farce. It is a farce not because there have been some other great rookies this year but because their golden child plays on the west coast and nobody cares about him or Seattle. Real football fans and analysts and people in the know can see that Wilson has taken massive strides as the season has went on. He appears to be a very good qb in the now and going forward. The kid works hard, studies hard, and his team and fans love him. Could you Seattle fans stop arguing with anyone that posts anything critical about his play. I mean even Brady and Brees and Rogers make bad plays and have off games. It does not mean that no one likes the kid geeeze.
Your expertise on this subject was disproved early on as you believed Flynn should start. :bye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pick, fell right to a team which gives him a great chance for success. He'll end up being one of the top 2 QBs coming out of this years draft. :drive:
Really, Really starting to look like I was right.
And all it took was a horrible knee injury to a better rookie QB to maybe, possibly give this a shot of actually becoming a remote possibility.
Sure thing "grass man". Told you that was a lame argument.

Unlike the past 3 pages...I HAVE very much enjoyed watching Wilson develop this season. All he has done is come in, work hard, encourage his fellow players, say the right things, do the right things and earn the respect of his coaches and the fans. Pete Carol has modeled for the league (a strong RB and Def helped)how to protect and ease a talented QB into the position. I am especially enjoying Carol unleash Wilson and let him win games now, rather than trying to keep him from not losing them. Perhaps the breaks could have come off earlier? Maybe Wilson was more ready to assume the reigns in the earlier part of the season? As evidence by what he was doing in pre-season and after Carol let him loose, I think he could have put up much bigger and better numbers that despite being in Seattle and on the West coast, would be pushing him even closer to consideration for the O-ROY.What do you guys think Wilson's numbers would have looked like had he been given the full on green light from the beginning like Luck and RG3 were given?

Unlike the past 3 pages...I HAVE very much enjoyed watching Wilson develop this season. All he has done is come in, work hard, encourage his fellow players, say the right things, do the right things and earn the respect of his coaches and the fans. Pete Carol has modeled for the league (a strong RB and Def helped)how to protect and ease a talented QB into the position. I am especially enjoying Carol unleash Wilson and let him win games now, rather than trying to keep him from not losing them. Perhaps the breaks could have come off earlier? Maybe Wilson was more ready to assume the reigns in the earlier part of the season? As evidence by what he was doing in pre-season and after Carol let him loose, I think he could have put up much bigger and better numbers that despite being in Seattle and on the West coast, would be pushing him even closer to consideration for the O-ROY.What do you guys think Wilson's numbers would have looked like had he been given the full on green light from the beginning like Luck and RG3 were given?
I don't think the playbook was designed to really do much more than what Tarvaris Jackson was asked to do in 2011: somewhere between 220-260 yards. They might change that up in the offseason, but the truth is the Seahawks are a ball control team and we'd rather run the ball than pass.I honestly don't see Wilson's stats changing much these first couple of years. Maybe if the fundamental makeup on the team shifts I could see a change, but we're not trying to quickly score a la the Falcons. As a matter of fact, I see ball control as a large part of why the defense looks so good this year.

I don't think the playbook was designed to really do much more than what Tarvaris Jackson was asked to do in 2011: somewhere between 220-260 yards. They might change that up in the offseason, but the truth is the Seahawks are a ball control team and we'd rather run the ball than pass.I honestly don't see Wilson's stats changing much these first couple of years. Maybe if the fundamental makeup on the team shifts I could see a change, but we're not trying to quickly score a la the Falcons. As a matter of fact, I see ball control as a large part of why the defense looks so good this year.
I know the Seahawks are a ball control team, at least they have been. Hard to see them getting too far from it. However, with Wilson's talent, and the amount of fun Seattle is having, why not open the playbook up? If Wilson can handle it, let him turn the gas on a little more like they have the last 3rd of the season. If Seattle adds a WR weapon and continues to develop that offense, they won't have to worry about winning close games. Sure, that puts more pressure on the D...but that D has an attitude and I think they might just thrive on that challenge.

Before the Lions game (7 games), Russell Wilson was 104/175 (61%), 1230 yards, 7.03 y/a, 8 td passes, 7 ints.Starting with the Lions game (10 games), he is 163/244 (67%), 2075 yards, 8.5 y/a, 19 yd passes, 3 ints.Pro-rating his last 10 games out to a full season you get: 3320 yards, 30 tds, 5 ints. Nice rookie.Only 5 QBs threw 30 TDs in 2012. Brees, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Brady, and Ryan.

'proninja said:
Eh. There was a lot made there about Russell Wilson not seeing some open receivers. But what is left unsaid is that every QB in the NFL will not see open receivers from time to time. I'm more interested in the fact that Wilson doesn't make boneheaded plays, especially when the game and season are on the line. He stays composed and makes plays of some kind.

'ImTheScientist said:
'Carter_Can_Fly said:
Why are there so many Seattle fans defensive about Wilson? He has had a very good rookie year. Perhaps even the second best rookie year out there. He has now won a playoff game and actually played a pretty big part in that game. Was he great in that game? Not overly, but he did more then enough to be a factor and help the team win.Some of you Seattle fans are starting to drive me crazy. It appears as though they have found the SOD with Wilson and it was a tremendous pick. It seems as though many Seahawks fans will argue with themselves to prove that no one is giving Seattle or Wilson respect and if he does not win rookie of the year it is a farce. It is a farce not because there have been some other great rookies this year but because their golden child plays on the west coast and nobody cares about him or Seattle. Real football fans and analysts and people in the know can see that Wilson has taken massive strides as the season has went on. He appears to be a very good qb in the now and going forward. The kid works hard, studies hard, and his team and fans love him. Could you Seattle fans stop arguing with anyone that posts anything critical about his play. I mean even Brady and Brees and Rogers make bad plays and have off games. It does not mean that no one likes the kid geeeze.
Your expertise on this subject was disproved early on as you believed Flynn should start. :bye:
See that is the difference between you and I. In no way am I claiming to be an expert or expertise on this situation or on the NFL in general. I am never going to get it all right and neither will you, NFL GM's, coaches, executives etc.I fully admitted that Wilson has proved me wrong and that Pete Carrol made the right decision. Yet here you are still wanting to call me out on it and or try and get me to tell you that you were right even though I conceided weeks ago that the right choice was Wilson.If you want to hear it again if it makes you feel good then here we go: you were right. I was shocked when I clicked on your profile to see that you were 33 years of age.

The elite veteran QBs miss few wide open WRs. Their anticipation, read procession, and aggressiveness leads them to find the open guy instinctively, much like a predatory animal feeding on wounded prey. They go for the kill. Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. They are the aggressor. But it takes time for a QB to get to the point where he looks at the entire game and every play that way. Despite the immediate recent success of rookie QBs, Newton, Luck, Wilson, RG3, they are not capable of playing every snap with such a predatory approach. They just haven't seen enough to confidently do it. You will see flashes, as all of the above young QBs have shown. So to hear how Wilson missed open WRs isn't a surprise and really isn't a disappointment. What I want to see is that he is doing what a young, winning QB must do, being a leader, limiting mistakes, making good decisions with the ball, and making an occasional dynamic play, either with his arm, legs, blocking, that inspire his teammates. Wilson is all of that.

At the risk or re-introducing myself to this thread, Wilson's game today (unlike the WC round game) was (IMO) the kind of game that he and his supporters should point to and say "that's why he should be ROY." The Seahawks defense was off today (I know they played well for most of the 2nd half, but they were bad the first half, and they failed at the end, when it really mattered), but Wilson was the only reason they had any chance of winning that game. A lot of the Seahawks looked "tired" to start the game. Wilson looked good. When they Falcons got up big in the first half, Wilson stayed composed. His passes were accurate, and his running was huge. He was driving them for a score at the end of the first half, and although he took a sack, I'm not sure he could have done much to avoid it. The blitzer was on him very quickly. But, he had great presence of mind to realize that there was no way the FG team would be able to get on the field fast enough, so he immediately called for the O to line up; it sure looked to me like he got the play off. That was a very smart play; I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all other QBs would have tried to hurry off the field for the FG unit, if they were in that exact same situation. The young man is very football intelligent, and he willed that team back into the game, and if their defense hadn't faltered at the worst possible time, they'd be playing for a SB berth next week.

'proninja said:
I don't think RW should be ROY, I think RGIII earned it over the course of the season.Wilson is special though. There aren't 20 players in the league I'd rather have on my team.
Completely agree here. RG3 is the ROY. Not going to be a surprise. We often want to fall back on stats, and his stats are just superior to that of Wilson's. That said, I'm glad we have Wilson in Seattle.

'proninja said:
'Bayhawks said:
At the risk or re-introducing myself to this thread, Wilson's game today (unlike the WC round game) was (IMO) the kind of game that he and his supporters should point to and say "that's why he should be ROY." The Seahawks defense was off today (I know they played well for most of the 2nd half, but they were bad the first half, and they failed at the end, when it really mattered), but Wilson was the only reason they had any chance of winning that game. A lot of the Seahawks looked "tired" to start the game. Wilson looked good. When they Falcons got up big in the first half, Wilson stayed composed. His passes were accurate, and his running was huge. He was driving them for a score at the end of the first half, and although he took a sack, I'm not sure he could have done much to avoid it. The blitzer was on him very quickly. But, he had great presence of mind to realize that there was no way the FG team would be able to get on the field fast enough, so he immediately called for the O to line up; it sure looked to me like he got the play off. That was a very smart play; I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all other QBs would have tried to hurry off the field for the FG unit, if they were in that exact same situation. The young man is very football intelligent, and he willed that team back into the game, and if their defense hadn't faltered at the worst possible time, they'd be playing for a SB berth next week.
I don't think RW should be ROY, I think RGIII earned it over the course of the season.Wilson is special though. There aren't 20 players in the league I'd rather have on my team.
Let me be clear: I don't think Wilson will win ROY (I actually think it will be Luck, more because of the "name" factor), but Wilson's performance in this game, more than in his 1st playoff game, was impressive.

'proninja said:
'proninja said:
'Bayhawks said:
Let me be clear: I don't think Wilson will win ROY (I actually think it will be Luck, more because of the "name" factor), but Wilson's performance in this game, more than in his 1st playoff game, was impressive.
It would be a shame if it were Luck.Seahawks fans: How many QB's in the league would you trade Wilson for straight up, contracts considered right now?
Wilson's value is ridiculously high.

Watching Shaub tonight after watching Wilson's performance was like watching paint dry. The guy is a special player. Tough loss Seattle fans but you have a bright future with #3.

'proninja said:
'proninja said:
Seahawks fans: How many QB's in the league would you trade Wilson for straight up, contracts considered right now?
How high? Where do you rank him bill Simmons trade value style?
When dividing Win Probability Added by salary, Wilson is BY FAR the most valuable QB in the entire NFL.http://fantasydouche.com/2012/12/the-nfls-most-valuable-player-is-russell-wilson/

'proninja said:
'proninja said:
'proninja said:
'Bayhawks said:
It would be a shame if it were Luck.Seahawks fans: How many QB's in the league would you trade Wilson for straight up, contracts considered right now?
How high? Where do you rank him bill Simmons trade value style?
Well, I'm not a Seahawks fan, nor a Simmons fan. Having said that, I'd gladly send you Tony Romo for Wilson if I were pulling strings for the Cowboys. Out of the young QB's I'd rather have Wilson than any of them except, perhaps, Andrew Luck. The difference between Luck, Griffin and Wilson coming into the season was about two things: height and hype. I saw that early on as I like to visit the VMAC when I have a chance and go to a few games a year. His performance in the preseason was only a hint of what the Seahawks had found in their third rounder. Now that the hype matches that of the other two it's fairly evident that the height didn't matter (in his case).At his price, give me Wilson.

'proninja said:
Well, I'm not a Seahawks fan, nor a Simmons fan. Having said that, I'd gladly send you Tony Romo for Wilson if I were pulling strings for the Cowboys. Out of the young QB's I'd rather have Wilson than any of them except, perhaps, Andrew Luck. The difference between Luck, Griffin and Wilson coming into the season was about two things: height and hype. I saw that early on as I like to visit the VMAC when I have a chance and go to a few games a year. His performance in the preseason was only a hint of what the Seahawks had found in their third rounder. Now that the hype matches that of the other two it's fairly evident that the height didn't matter (in his case).At his price, give me Wilson.
I feel this way too. Aside from lol'ing at Tony Romo, I'm kind of ambivalent between Luck and Wilson, and I don't really want anybody else. Rodgers is 30, and didn't play any better than Wilson the 2nd half of the season/playoffs. Not sure who else is even in the conversation. Maybe I'm a massive homer though :shrug:
I'm sure someone will throw out Kaepernick, but he is a one and run QB; not nearly as evolved or football smart as Wilson. I also think his body type is more like RGIII's than any other QB and he will likely pay the price for that, being a running QB.

'proninja said:
Well, I'm not a Seahawks fan, nor a Simmons fan. Having said that, I'd gladly send you Tony Romo for Wilson if I were pulling strings for the Cowboys. Out of the young QB's I'd rather have Wilson than any of them except, perhaps, Andrew Luck. The difference between Luck, Griffin and Wilson coming into the season was about two things: height and hype. I saw that early on as I like to visit the VMAC when I have a chance and go to a few games a year. His performance in the preseason was only a hint of what the Seahawks had found in their third rounder. Now that the hype matches that of the other two it's fairly evident that the height didn't matter (in his case).

At his price, give me Wilson.
I feel this way too. Aside from lol'ing at Tony Romo, I'm kind of ambivalent between Luck and Wilson, and I don't really want anybody else. Rodgers is 30, and didn't play any better than Wilson the 2nd half of the season/playoffs. Not sure who else is even in the conversation. Maybe I'm a massive homer though :shrug:
I'm sure someone will throw out Kaepernick, but he is a one and run QB; not nearly as evolved or football smart as Wilson. I also think his body type is more like RGIII's than any other QB and he will likely pay the price for that, being a running QB.
If I were running a team and could choose from those listed above:Rodgers

Luck

Kaepernick

Wilson

RG3 (ONLY this low because I am seriously concerned for his long-term health)

Romo (age... loser)

Yeah, let's revisit this next year. Kaepernick looks like a novelty act right now. In terms of passing skill and football IQ, he is Michael Vick. He'll be great in spurts but inconsistent over the long haul. He is not, as Greg Cossell would put it, "dialed in".

Texans fan here: just wanted to say that Russell Wilson is AWESOME! Steal of the draft and will be a constant winner for years to come!!!

Kaepernick looks like a novelty act right now. In terms of passing skill and football IQ, he is Michael Vick.
A lazy and completely unfair assessment.Vick was as accurate as Kaepernick has been thus far in exactly one of his ten seasons. And he already looks like a better runner.

Kaepernick looks like a novelty act right now. In terms of passing skill and football IQ, he is Michael Vick.
A lazy and completely unfair assessment.Vick was as accurate as Kaepernick has been thus far in exactly one of his ten seasons. And he already looks like a better runner.
Kaepernick hasn't even played one season yet. Like I said, we can revisit in a year. Right now Kaepernick is a one read, running QB. He isn't the passer Griffin is and if you have concerns about Griffin holding up to an NFL season with his build, you should be equally concerned about Kaepernick. Vick in his prime was a better runner than Kaepernick, probably had a stronger arm too. Definitely had and has a quicker release.

Definitely not going to argue with Vick's arm and release, but with such poor accuracy none of that mattered much.I am definitely less worried about Kaepernick than Griffin. Colin is a big boy who seems to have a knack for avoiding the big hits.

His legs are thinner than Griffin's. Perhaps he is better at avoiding contact and, if so, can avoid injuries; but he has two things going against him being running QB that tall.He certainly doesn't look as fluid or fast as Vick, nor as elusive as Wilson.

Sneaky or not, he still isn't Griffin (pre-injury) fast. He isn't close to Vick prime fast. He isn't as difficult to corral as Wilson. He is a tall and thin long strider that has made some plays which teams will now be studying. It isn't often that he will face defenses that give him 178 yards prior to contact. I'd guess the Packers will be the first and last time that happens.

Sneaky or not, he still isn't Griffin (pre-injury) fast. He isn't close to Vick prime fast. He isn't as difficult to corral as Wilson. He is a tall and thin long strider that has made some plays which teams will now be studying. It isn't often that he will face defenses that give him 178 yards prior to contact. I'd guess the Packers will be the first and last time that happens.
Boy, I guess you really hate the kid. He's not this... he's not that. But he is one game away from the Super Bowl.

'proninja said:
We don't have a huge sample size of Kaepernick to look at, but from what I've seen, you seem to be correct. He seems to look for his first (maybe second read), then take off. Wilson seems more likely to look to pass first, run when necessary. Obviously, there are exceptions for both players. Another thing I've noticed, especially with regards to a comparison with Griffin, is that Wilson seems more willing, and better able, to slide at the end of plays. Probably b/c of his baseball background, he is comfortable with the slide, but he also seems to realize that there are times when the extra 2-3 yards is important (I remember 1 time in yesterday's game, specifically, where he dove for the extra yards to get the first down), but at other times, saving yourself the hit is the wiser choice. Griffin seems like he either isn't comfortable sliding, or unwilling to do so.ETA-Both Griffin and Kaepernick can "fix" these flaws, as they continue to play. Griffin can learn how/when to slide, and Kaepernick can get more comfortable going through his progressions and relying on his legs less, but at this point, Wilson seems to be more advanced than the two of them.

Boy, I guess you really hate the kid. He's not this... he's not that. But he is one game away from the Super Bowl.
It's not hate, I just I'm not prone to fall for hype. I turned off ESPN some 15+ years ago. I think he is a dynamic athlete. Playing QB in the NFL is extremely difficult and takes more than just great wheels and a strong arm. The thing I'll be looking for in Kaepernick is maturity in his read progressions, leadership and preparation. I don't think I've said anything that isn't true, but if you think I have I'm open to that discussion. This is the Russell Wilson Bandwagon thread though, so maybe we can pick it up elsewhere.

ETA: "one game away from the Super Bowl" is an interesting argument since that is exactly where SF was last season. Ultimate team sport indeed.

Wilson actually didn't clean out his locker today....he went and hit up the film room and watched film of yesterdays game..... WOW.
:thumbup: .........not many guys would do that. Guys gonna be a winner for years to come.
I am a little concerned about burnout. Not just him but also his teammates who don't have that level of discipline or dedication. Let's face it, very, very few of even the elite players have that level. I hope part of his learnings in the NFL consist of how to avoid burning out himself or the others.

Users who are viewing this thread