What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (4 Viewers)

Wilson actually didn't clean out his locker today....he went and hit up the film room and watched film of yesterdays game..... WOW.
:thumbup: .........not many guys would do that. Guys gonna be a winner for years to come.
I am a little concerned about burnout. Not just him but also his teammates who don't have that level of discipline or dedication. Let's face it, very, very few of even the elite players have that level. I hope part of his learnings in the NFL consist of how to avoid burning out himself or the others.
Guys like Brady/Manning are the types of players with this type of personality and they only make their teammates better. People don't want to be screw ups in front of them. Burnout of his teammates is a potential risk but a pretty small one IMO.

Wilson actually didn't clean out his locker today....he went and hit up the film room and watched film of yesterdays game..... WOW.
:thumbup: .........not many guys would do that. Guys gonna be a winner for years to come.
I am a little concerned about burnout. Not just him but also his teammates who don't have that level of discipline or dedication. Let's face it, very, very few of even the elite players have that level. I hope part of his learnings in the NFL consist of how to avoid burning out himself or the others.
He will challenge them to be better. If they don't want to then PC/JS know who to replace. Always comPETE.

'ImTheScientist said:
How come you aren't man enough to show up in the game thread? Your boy is man enough to talk to the press after the loss, but you? You're chicken####.Nuff said.ITS :cry:

'fred_1_15301 said:
'mad sweeney said:
'fred_1_15301 said:
'ImTheScientist said:
Guys like Brady/Manning are the types of players with this type of personality and they only make their teammates better. People don't want to be screw ups in front of them. Burnout of his teammates is a potential risk but a pretty small one IMO.
Brady was notorious early in his career as being first to arrive at the facility, last to leave. His preparation an training was relentless and it rubbed off on the rest of the team. But eventually he sort of "mastered" the offense and reached a peak in his ability (not to mention marrying a supermodel and having kids). It became less about proving something to the team and preparation and more about maintaining a certain level. This can eventually happen to Wilson as well. Can't speak for Manning but I assume its similar.

If Matt Flynn had started the playoff game vs Atl, then Seattle would have won.They would have not got down so big in the first half and therefore not needed such a huge second half to make up the difference.Just kidding ITS, don't get upset :)

This is impressive, and a bit surprising, as this is one area Wilson trailed Luck by a significant margin earlier in the season. I recall when Carroll talked about this being an opportunity for improvement sometime around midseason; Wilson turned around and had a stellar week. By the end of the year he was going 11-12 on third down against the 49er D.Impressive.

Right now, here's how I personally value the rookie QBs:RG3WilsonLuck------Big Gap-----------FolesTannehillWeedenOsweiler/CousinsFair warning, I haven't watched Cousins play in the preseason because I've always moved on to another game stream once RG3 was out. RG3 - For the same reasons I love Wilson, I love RG3. Accurate, has arm strength, good leaderships skills... list goes on. I also can't discount the sheer amount of assets traded for him.Wilson - I've been super high on this guy ever since I saw him crush the #### out of my beloved Cornhuskers. He's got all the tools to succeed, he just needed a receptive coach to let him showcase them. I would not be surprised if, in the end, Wilson was the best quarterback from this class.Luck - I have to acknowledge that the guy is a skilled QB, but there's just something about him that I don't like. He can make the throws, he's intelligent, he's hard working... I just don't know what it is that I don't like. I'm skeptical that he'll have early success, and I'm skeptical that the coaching staff/support system in Indy is good enough to turn him into Peyton 2.0. He also just doesn't have that "face of the franchise" feel to him, like the previous two. Of course, that's not a requirement to be a successful NFL QB and keep in mind, I still have him in the tier of "I think these guys have an excellent shot for future fantasy relevance."Foles - I rank him this highly mostly because of situation. I think he has the talent to run Andy Reid's offense pretty well (heck, if Kolb looked good there, Foles certainly can), and I'm down enough on Vick that I like his chances at starting a game within the next year.Tannehill - I think he still has work to do as a pocket passer, and I'm not convinced he has a good enough surrounding cast (coaching/organization included) to make the required jump to fantasy success.Weeden - Too much uncertainty around that organization for my tastes. Top that off with the razor thin margin for error that a 28 year old draft pick has, and I'll be staying away. Too many better QB options in your typical 12 team league to bank on this guy's development.Osweiler - Latest victim of "Tall QB syndrome." I cringe nearly every time I see this guy throw the ball. He's in that awkward place where a dude at nearly 6'8" has to throw almost sidearm to keep the ball the right height for his receivers. At least, that's the best way I can describe what I think is wrong with how he throws. He doesn't look comfortable doing it and the passes have a weird trajectory to them. I say all of this as an Osweiler owner.Cousins - Incomplete.
What has RFIII done thus far to rank him higher than Luck, who was about as impressive as can be in the first game, and then showed remarkable resiliency in the second game? As for Wilson being ranked above Luck as well, this is laughable. Can I be in one of your leagues?
For whatever tiny amount of pride it is worth, my prediction was 100% accurate for my own league on a PPG basis, only missing on Foles for overall total points. :D

On Mike & Mike yesterday, they said Wilson and his agent have approached the Seahawks about renegotiating his contract. I don't think that is allowed under the CBA until after the third year, although I think there might be a way to add incentives to the contract. Not sure.Wilson strikes me as the kind of guy who won't let this become a distraction. Hopefully he will play out the next two years as well or better than he did this year and will get a big payday afterwards.

Russell Wilson had a better year than Andrew Luck and will have abetted career. Luck needs to learn how to take care of the ball. Interception machine!

On Mike & Mike yesterday, they said Wilson and his agent have approached the Seahawks about renegotiating his contract. I don't think that is allowed under the CBA until after the third year, although I think there might be a way to add incentives to the contract. Not sure.

Wilson strikes me as the kind of guy who won't let this become a distraction. Hopefully he will play out the next two years as well or better than he did this year and will get a big payday afterwards.
Wilson himself said that he was not aware of that.

On Mike & Mike yesterday, they said Wilson and his agent have approached the Seahawks about renegotiating his contract. I don't think that is allowed under the CBA until after the third year, although I think there might be a way to add incentives to the contract. Not sure.Wilson strikes me as the kind of guy who won't let this become a distraction. Hopefully he will play out the next two years as well or better than he did this year and will get a big payday afterwards.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about where this quote came from. The agent was apparently furious that it was reported since he's not a newbie agent and knows the CBA doesn't allow for it. And Wilson doesn't seem like the type of guy that'll be looking to make himself out as a dissatisfied player making too little. This could be just a story based on a "source" that was just some foolish tweet from someone uninvolved and an outlet or two picked up on it. Doesn't make any sense for either of Wison or his agent to actually do this.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about where this quote came from. The agent was apparently furious that it was reported since he's not a newbie agent and knows the CBA doesn't allow for it. And Wilson doesn't seem like the type of guy that'll be looking to make himself out as a dissatisfied player making too little. This could be just a story based on a "source" that was just some foolish tweet from someone uninvolved and an outlet or two picked up on it. Doesn't make any sense for either of Wison or his agent to actually do this.
Yeah...Im sure Bus was furious it got out.IMO...it got out because he leaked it.The guy is a master of working the media in his way.

Yeah...Im sure Bus was furious it got out.IMO...it got out because he leaked it.The guy is a master of working the media in his way.
How does this help in any way? At best it makes him or Wilson look stupid for not knowing the CBA. It will lead some to the idea that Wilson is disgruntled at not being properly paid. I see zero upside in it.

How does this help in any way? At best it makes him or Wilson look stupid for not knowing the CBA. It will lead some to the idea that Wilson is disgruntled at not being properly paid. I see zero upside in it.
He knows the CBA...he also knows how to start up debate and get public opinion on the side of his client.It won't come off as disgruntled when he plays the "we did not do this, we know the CBA...Im not sure" line of crap he pulls.And this is not me against Wilson here...just a thing to never believe the country bumpkin act of Bus Cook. Guy is a very good agent who knows how to work things. When things get leaked...its often because he leaked them.

He knows the CBA...he also knows how to start up debate and get public opinion on the side of his client.It won't come off as disgruntled when he plays the "we did not do this, we know the CBA...Im not sure" line of crap he pulls.And this is not me against Wilson here...just a thing to never believe the country bumpkin act of Bus Cook. Guy is a very good agent who knows how to work things. When things get leaked...its often because he leaked them.
First, I agree that Bus Cook will certainly set the stage for his client appropriately. This isn't his first time to the rodeo and I'm sure he'll extract every penny when the time comes. If someone were to put a gun to my head and explain this away I would probably state that this was more a function of two things:1. Russell Wilson is probably the type of guy that will angle for being a Seattle Seahawk for life. The team wants that to happen (at least right now) and the fans want that to happen (and Seattle fans are prone to making teams do emotional crap, like signing Shaun Alexander to a huge contract and neglecting to sign Steve Hutchinson who was the real reason for the success). To Mr. Cook, this is probably a bad sign that Wilson will take a hometown discount to make everything happen which means less money in his pocket.2. John Idzik, the salary cap guru of the Seahawks, left to be the GM of the Jets. The person that gets this job isn't going to somehow forget that this is going to be a huge issue in the 2015 offseason, but it might be worth putting into everyone's mind that this will need to happen and to plan accordingly. Especially since there are some other heavy hitters who will have contracts coming up before that date.It's also possible that this is media made up garbage. I mentioned to my brother (who owns a restaurant/bar in the Seattle area) that he should offer up as a promotion to always serve Russell Wilson free of charge until he gets that big contract. I wish I could make that happen across the entire city...

How do you get public opinion more on the side of Wilson than it already is? He's the second coming of Christ for Seahawk fans right now. There's nothing worthwhile about debating this issue, nor does he need to sway public opinion about him. It's a worthless ploy. Nothing but negativity can come from it.

Wilson made the Pro Bowl. :thumbup:
Only because Matt Ryan, of the Falcons, who you crapped on, is injured. Take your thumbs and cram it, coward.
And because Rodgers and Griffin are injured.And because Kaepernick is in the Super Bowl.And because Romo, Cutler, Newton and Stafford had other plans. But a great accomplishment nevertheless.
I think next year they'll just call it the Started Some Games In the Regular Season Bowl since almost everyone get in.

Wilson made the Pro Bowl. :thumbup:
Only because Matt Ryan, of the Falcons, who you crapped on, is injured. Take your thumbs and cram it, coward.
And because Rodgers and Griffin are injured.And because Kaepernick is in the Super Bowl.And because Romo, Cutler, Newton and Stafford had other plans. But a great accomplishment nevertheless.
I highly doubt Cutler and Kaep would have been picked before Wilson.

3TDs in the Pro Bowl.
Cue the morons: ITS posted again! Quick, before he vanishes like a leprechaun! Do something similar to the junior high bully!In all seriousness...I would have loved to see him get that MVP award and the car since he's going to be underpaid for a few more years...at the same time I'm pretty sure Kyle Rudolph deserved it.

I am a proud new dynasty owner of Sidney Rice. I wish Wilson very well going forward. Any early projections for Wilson next year?How many pass attemps will Wilson have? I have the o/u at 460. I am hoping for Rice's sake Wilson has 460 plus attempts and Rice resurrects his career.

'biju said:
I would have loved to see him get that MVP award and the car since he's going to be underpaid for a few more years...at the same time I'm pretty sure Kyle Rudolph deserved it.
NFL teams are allotted a large sum of cash to pay to players they don't feel were fairly compensated during a given season. My guess is that Wilson, Wagner, and Sherman will see the lion's share of that money this year. I'm not certain how much it is, but from what I understand its in the millions. If that's true, Wilson's doing just fine. This wasn't available last year due to the collective bargaining agreement, but I believe its back for this year.

'biju said:
I would have loved to see him get that MVP award and the car since he's going to be underpaid for a few more years...at the same time I'm pretty sure Kyle Rudolph deserved it.
NFL teams are allotted a large sum of cash to pay to players they don't feel were fairly compensated during a given season. My guess is that Wilson, Wagner, and Sherman will see the lion's share of that money this year. I'm not certain how much it is, but from what I understand its in the millions. If that's true, Wilson's doing just fine. This wasn't available last year due to the collective bargaining agreement, but I believe its back for this year.
Really? That seems like it would be circumventing the salary cap.

'biju said:
It gets added into the team's cap number.

'biju said:
The NFL worked under this concept from 2000 (or 2001?) until 2009. Performance pay went away during 2010 and 2011, but its back under the new CBA (I think, i might be wrong on this).I wouldn't call it circumventing the cap. All teams get to do it and it gives them a chance to properly compensate players that were severely underpaid during any given year. That said, I'm not sure of how they decide who gets exactly how much.

'biju said:
It gets added into the team's cap number.
This would make the most sense. I wouldn't be surprised if they were allowed to add it into the following years cap number.

'biju said:
Performance pay isn't given out at the teams' discretion. It is allocated based on a formula that accounts for snaps played and cap number (stats, awards or subjective evaluation of play aren't considered for PBP).

Russell Wilson wins NFL.COM's Rookie of the Year award.

A must-see picture of Russell Wilson >>>> My link

My link

Russell Wilson named NFL.com Rookie of the Year

When the Seahawks selected Russell Wilson in the third round of the NFL Draft, they had an idea the rookie QB could be good. Wilson proved to be even better as fans voted him NFL.com Rookie of the Year.

Those who voted for NFL Rookie of the Year at NFL.com saw something that eluded those with votes for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year: Russell Wilson had a greater impact on his team than any of the players selected before him, or after him, in last April’s NFL Draft.

The Seahawks’ rookie quarterback was named NFL Rookie of the Year on Saturday night during an awards ceremony in New Orleans as determined by fan vote. Earlier, it was announced that Wilson had finished third in balloting for Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year behind winner Robert Griffin III of the Washington Redskins and Andrew Luck of the Indianapolis Colts.

In voting for NFL Rookie of the Year at NFL.com, Wilson received more votes than those other quarterbacks as well as Redskins running back Alfred Morris and running back Doug Martin of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

One factor in the contradictory nature of the outcomes could be that voting for the NFL.com honor lasted longer, so Wilson benefitted from playing progressively better as the season progressed – and was the last of the rookie QBs standing in the playoffs, as Wilson and the Seahawks eliminated RGIII and the Redskins in the wild-card round, when Luck and the Colts also lost.

Along his way, Wilson tied the NFL rookie record by throwing 26 touchdown passes and also broke the league record for passer rating by a rookie QB – as his 100.0 rating and RGIII’s 102.4 both surpassed the previous mark.

During the Seahawks’ five-game winning streak to end the regular season, Wilson had one game where he passed for four touchdowns (in Week 16 against the NFC Champion San Francisco 49ers) and another where he ran for three scores (in Week 15 against the Buffalo Bills). In the postseason, Wilson rallied the Seahawks from a 14-0 deficit in their 24-14 victory and then overcame a 20-0 deficit to give the Seahawks a momentary lead late in the fourth quarter of their loss to the Atlanta Falcons in the divisional round.

Not bad for a guy who was the 75th pick overall in the draft, and had to beat out free-agent addition Matt Flynn and incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson to win the job.

“Well, when we named him the starter we certainly had high hopes that he could (become the player he is now),” coach Pete Carroll said late in the season when asked about his rookie QB. “We never doubted the makeup of the kid and his athleticism. We just didn’t know if he could translate it to his game, and how fast he could do it. And he was able to do it.”

Was he ever.

“He’s been more impressive as he’s grown more and been able to allow us to expand things, and take on ideas and concepts and game plan more so than I wouldn’t have thought. It’s been pretty exciting.”

Wilson was nominated for Rookie of the Week at NFL.com eight times during the regular season and won in Week 10.

Users who are viewing this thread