What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Every-Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

No Levy or Durant? Is someone else playing only on nickel downs?
It looks like the same situation as last year. Durant plays in some subpackages, Levy in others.
think NYG needs an UpdateGiants WLB Michael Boley has missed almost all of training camp due to a hamstring pull.Boley admitted he's "very concerned" after he struggled to even run at full speed on Tuesday. IDP owners in search of linebacker depth can do better. Aug 22 - 9:56 AM
The Boley injury is becoming more concerning. Rivers has been taking some nickel snaps, but the Giants continue to show variations of subpackages. Against the Bears, Blackburn and Rivers were the nickel backers and Kiwanuka rested. I'll keep an eye on this one, too.

'steelcityman said:
Seattle: KJ Wright

What happened to Wagner? Isnt he every down? Is he still set as starting ILB?
There was never a guarantee that Wagner would play every down. He's talented enough to be in the mix, but the Seahawks are high on what Wright brings as the nickel middle backer. They don't use many subpackages with two linebackers. There's a chance that Wagner will supplant Hill there soon, but I wouldn't count on it. With the Ruud trade last week, Wagner is entrenched as the base middle linebacker now.

A note from this morning:

Rookie linebacker Luke Kuechly would usually be exchanged for Davis on third downs. Davis said that likely won’t be the case in the regular season, and that his situational play is more ‘ease-you-in’ than permanent. His cameos on special teams were also part of that plan.
I'm not sure how to read those first two sentences. I would tend to think that a nickel package of Kuechly/Davis would be a better fit than Anderson/Davis or Beason/Davis and possibly even Beason/Kuechly, but we've seen coaches ease rookies into the league by playing them in base packages only early in their careers.I'd argue that it makes no sense to do that with a player who's clearly ready for the speed of the NFL like Kuechly, but the above paragraph and last night's approach to the lineup suggest the Panthers are planning to use Davis ahead of someone in some nickel subpackages. There's also a chance we'll see Davis as a 3-4 OLB when the linebacking unit is completely healthy.

We'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:
A note from this morning:

Rookie linebacker Luke Kuechly would usually be exchanged for Davis on third downs. Davis said that likely won’t be the case in the regular season, and that his situational play is more ‘ease-you-in’ than permanent. His cameos on special teams were also part of that plan.
I'm not sure how to read those first two sentences. I would tend to think that a nickel package of Kuechly/Davis would be a better fit than Anderson/Davis or Beason/Davis and possibly even Beason/Kuechly, but we've seen coaches ease rookies into the league by playing them in base packages only early in their careers.I'd argue that it makes no sense to do that with a player who's clearly ready for the speed of the NFL like Kuechly, but the above paragraph and last night's approach to the lineup suggest the Panthers are planning to use Davis ahead of someone in some nickel subpackages. There's also a chance we'll see Davis as a 3-4 OLB when the linebacking unit is completely healthy.

We'll see...
Seems like not permanent indicates he won't be in full time for the Nickel.

The Boley injury is becoming more concerning. Rivers has been taking some nickel snaps, but the Giants continue to show variations of subpackages. Against the Bears, Blackburn and Rivers were the nickel backers and Kiwanuka rested. I'll keep an eye on this one, too.
Please do Jene! I have the unique ability to still use Kiwi as a DL in my league, but he's likely only worth doing so if he remains a 3 down backer. After losing Suggs also, this might be a huge hit to my defense!

Is Curry out until week 6 (PUP)? If so, who would you pick up between Burris and Wheeler? Although Wheeler is an every down back according to the OP, he is also a strong side LB. When Curry comes back will he take over every down back rolls?

Is Curry out until week 6 (PUP)? If so, who would you pick up between Burris and Wheeler? Although Wheeler is an every down back according to the OP, he is also a strong side LB. When Curry comes back will he take over every down back rolls?
I'd rank Wheeler higher than Burris, but neither project to more than an inconsistent depth option. I don't think Curry will be an issue. Seems unlikely that he'll be healthy enough to play for the Raiders again.

I'd rank Wheeler higher than Burris, but neither project to more than an inconsistent depth option. I don't think Curry will be an issue. Seems unlikely that he'll be healthy enough to play for the Raiders again.
Interesting. So if Curry doesn't play for the Raiders this year, either Burris or Wheeler will get the majority of the snaps along with McClain. I think whoever that is, will have fantasy value as a plugin. I'll probably pick up Wheeler.

DJ Smith has certainly beat out AJ Hawk in the dime and will most likely be the Packers only every down LB to start the season.

would any of you feel strong about having KJ Wright or M. Kendricks as your flex Def player? I really have not seen either play, Phil v Steelers first preseason, but that was long ago and first preseason game.

Wright I know little about.

Drafted both, and Mason Foster with hopes one becomes a nice flex D player. Got Butler(who I targeted as my main LB, and Weatherspoon who I got a lot later than I should have).

If both Wright and Kendricks are 3 down LBs, and both are SLB, kind of makes it hard to pick week 1.

Any advice re: those 2?

Much more next week, but some early notes from the last 24 hours...

***Cowboys used lots of dime packages last night. On the rare nickel snap, Victor Butler was playing ahead of Bruce Carter at times.

***The Giants used five different linebackers last night. Chase Blackburn played 51 of 68 snaps. Four other linebackers played between 24 and 37.

***Reuben Frank is reporting on Twitter that Jamar Chaney and Mychal Kendricks are now the Philadelphia nickel linebackers.

Much more next week, but some early notes from the last 24 hours...***Cowboys used lots of dime packages last night. On the rare nickel snap, Victor Butler was playing ahead of Bruce Carter at times.***The Giants used five different linebackers last night. Chase Blackburn played 51 of 68 snaps. Four other linebackers played between 24 and 37.***Reuben Frank is reporting on Twitter that Jamar Chaney and Mychal Kendricks are now the Philadelphia nickel linebackers.
So IYHO Jene do you think Ryans will play 3 downs still? If not this kills his value. :cry:

'buck56 said:
'Jene Bramel said:
Much more next week, but some early notes from the last 24 hours...***Cowboys used lots of dime packages last night. On the rare nickel snap, Victor Butler was playing ahead of Bruce Carter at times.***The Giants used five different linebackers last night. Chase Blackburn played 51 of 68 snaps. Four other linebackers played between 24 and 37.***Reuben Frank is reporting on Twitter that Jamar Chaney and Mychal Kendricks are now the Philadelphia nickel linebackers.
So IYHO Jene do you think Ryans will play 3 downs still? If not this kills his value. :cry:
Don't have any reason to doubt the reports on Ryans. More than one reporter tweeted the change and the Eagles have had situational starters in past.

Any news about the Carolina LB situation?
Haven't seen anything new. Let me see if I can scare up some local opinion.
Conversation w/ @JoePerson just now...@JeneBramel Any feel on which of Beason or Kuechly is likely to rest in subpackages in favor of Thomas Davis?

‏@josephperson ...both of them. Davis and Anderson were together for a lot of the preseason nickel packages.
Thanks Jene. Should I even start 1 of them then? If so, which would ou recommend in a tackle heavy league?

Conversation w/ @JoePerson just now...@JeneBramel Any feel on which of Beason or Kuechly is likely to rest in subpackages in favor of Thomas Davis?

‏@josephperson ...both of them. Davis and Anderson were together for a lot of the preseason nickel packages.
Interesting. Great heads up here. Thanks. :thumbup:

Interesting. Great heads up here. Thanks. :thumbup:
Agreed. Great intel.

THIS is why Footballguys will never be topped!

DJ Smith has certainly beat out AJ Hawk in the dime and will most likely be the Packers only every down LB to start the season.
Well yeah, they played a lot of 2 man d line the last couple of years but that could change this year and Smith as the only inside backer. It's a little early to tell, but Smith is Bishop lite and may end up almost as good.

They like Phillip Daniels and Worthy but neither are starting. They'll rotate them in and backfield pressure should help(Nick Perry too) with more big plays. Smith gets his hands on a lot of passes-tipping some and should get a couple of picks himself.

Capers says he hopes to blitz less this season.

The last 2 season they had so many d linemen hurt they put a backup o lineman in there at times.

Hope he can rotate in enough players this year. He liked Merling before he was drafted and likes him now too. I hope he's right.

Quick notes, full update to initial post coming late Tuesday / sometime Wednesday:

***Colts used Jerrell Freeman and Moise Fokou in nickel, Kavell Conner out again

***DeMeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks in nickel for Philly, despite reports that Ryans would be replaced by Chaney

***Craig Robertson was nickel defender for Cleveland

***Rams used primarily nickel, JoLonn Dunbar played every down

***Jon Beason played nearly every down, James Anderson played the majority of subpackage snaps

***Buccaneers used a dime package at times with Lavonte David the lone backer, but dropped Dakoda Watson deep

***The Niners elected to play a lot of dime against GB, sitting Patrick Willis more often than NaVorro Bowman

Quick notes, full update to initial post coming late Tuesday / sometime Wednesday:

***Colts used Jerrell Freeman and Moise Fokou in nickel, Kavell Conner out again

***DeMeco Ryans and Mychal Kendricks in nickel for Philly, despite reports that Ryans would be replaced by Chaney

***Jon Beason played nearly every down, James Anderson played the majority of subpackage snaps

***Buccaneers used a dime package at times with Lavonte David the lone backer, but dropped Dakoda Watson deep

***The Niners elected to play a lot of dime against GB, sitting Patrick Willis more often than NaVorro Bowman
Forgot to mention Ryans in the IDP wire thread but he's a great one to pick up even though his stat line wasn't spectacular, 5 solos and 1 assist. Consider he faced a rookie QB in Brandon Weeden who only put up 118 yards from the air and a rookie RB coming off surgery rest of over a month where he saw no contact and was held to 39 yards on 19 carries.Basically he wasn't on the field enough to make more plays but I'm sure he'll face better offenses as the year goes on so I think he's an undervalued WW pick-up. Go get him.

WOW, didn't see that coming.

Add Demeco Ryans

From Rotoworld

DeMeco Ryans played on 60-of-62 snaps in Sunday's win over the Browns.

It's notable because Andy Reid previously said that Ryans would not be a three-down linebacker. But the ex-Texan handled himself well against the pass and stayed on the field in passing situations. Ryans tied for the team lead with five tackles.

Add Demeco RyansFrom RotoworldDeMeco Ryans played on 60-of-62 snaps in Sunday's win over the Browns.It's notable because Andy Reid previously said that Ryans would not be a three-down linebacker. But the ex-Texan handled himself well against the pass and stayed on the field in passing situations. Ryans tied for the team lead with five tackles.
I was reading up on Ryans after the game and noticed he was getting praise by teammates and coaches citing his leadership on the field etc. He had one notable stop of Richardson in the backfield during the game that was a pivotal stop for the defense. Despite the average tackle numbers, he definitely seems to be a hold right now with a chance to put up some decent numbers going forward as long as he continues to get snaps on 3rd downs.

Joe Mays?
Did Donald Butler play every down for the Chargers in week 1?
Mays and Butler were both expected to play every down and did. As I did this week, I'll try to remember to post notes early each week on major changes and add the most recent edit date / status at the bottom of the initial post. The first post in the thread was updated with my final Post Week 1 thoughts early yesterday morning. You can also now find complete snap counts at the end of each NFL Gamebook PDF about 24 hours after each game. Just make sure you cross-check for injuries and game situation if you haven't seen the game live before fully trusting them as correct indications of subpackage duties.That spreadsheet is awesome, Fantasy King, thanks. I think FootballOutsiders is trying to cull the snap counts out of the Gamebooks each week into one place, too.

Joe Mays?
Did Donald Butler play every down for the Chargers in week 1?
Mays and Butler were both expected to play every down and did. As I did this week, I'll try to remember to post notes early each week on major changes and add the most recent edit date / status at the bottom of the initial post. The first post in the thread was updated with my final Post Week 1 thoughts early yesterday morning. You can also now find complete snap counts at the end of each NFL Gamebook PDF about 24 hours after each game. Just make sure you cross-check for injuries and game situation if you haven't seen the game live before fully trusting them as correct indications of subpackage duties.That spreadsheet is awesome, Fantasy King, thanks. I think FootballOutsiders is trying to cull the snap counts out of the Gamebooks each week into one place, too.
Mays looked very pedestrian to me, again, I don't have faith he maintains the job. Could for the year, but just can't see it beyond and wouldn't be surprised if PT is cut midseason. Still don't get the extension.

Users who are viewing this thread