What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Polk, RB (HOU) (1 Viewer)

zed2283

Footballguy
Anything to see here?

My link

After being passed over in the NFL Draft, prolific University of Washington running back Chris Polk has signed a rookie free agent deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Polk, who rushed for 4,049 yards in barely more than three seasons, was red flagged by teams in the draft because of a shoulder problem and, despite being projected as high as a second-round prospect, was not among the 253 players selected. As soon as the draft ended, the phone began to ring and he eventually chose the Eagles over the Washington Redskins.

"I will just have to go out there and show them I have a lot of great football left in me," Polk told NFLDraftScout.com after agreeing to a deal with the Eagles. "I know teams are concerned about my shoulder, but I also heard somebody say something about a degenerative hip and there is just no truth to that. I had labrum surgery on the shoulder a year ago and it didn't slow me down last season."

In the 2011 regular season, Polk rushed for 1,341 yards, caught 29 passes for 324 yards and scored 15 touchdowns. His career rushing total of 4,049 yards is second only to Napolean Kaufman at Washington.

When Polk began hearing that teams were concerned about his shoulder, he had it checked by well-known orthopedic surgeon James Andrews. According to team sources, Andrews wrote a letter stating that Polk had some scarring from the surgery, but there was nothing that should prevent him from being drafted or playing football. However, some team medical staffs still labeled the shoulder problem as either "chronic" or "degenerative."

Andrews disagreed, telling one source close to Polk, "if I thought Chris had a problem that needed fixing, I would have operated, but there was not a problem."

"Of course I would have preferred to be drafted and drafted high," Polk said. "But the main thing now is that I am with a great offensive team and I will get my opportunity to show what I can do in the NFL."

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe there weren't teams, like Cincy (Herron :X ), willing to take a chance on him in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not expert, but if I had concerns about a RB, it would be due to lower-body stuff versus upper body, so it seems interesting/odd/fishy to me that he got skipped totally, yet guys like Jamal Lewis and Willis McGahee went in the first with repaired/blown-out knees. While I realize he was not a projected first or second day guy, a 3 round drop when the most respected surgeon says you are good-to-go, just seems really odd. If there are no personality issues, this could be a major coup for the Eagles.

I am not expert, but if I had concerns about a RB, it would be due to lower-body stuff versus upper body, so it seems interesting/odd/fishy to me that he got skipped totally, yet guys like Jamal Lewis and Willis McGahee went in the first with repaired/blown-out knees. While I realize he was not a projected first or second day guy, a 3 round drop when the most respected surgeon says you are good-to-go, just seems really odd. If there are no personality issues, this could be a major coup for the Eagles.
Degenerative hip.

Eagles have a huge back log behind McCoy.
As an Eagles fan...I love it :)
I am right there with you. Last year behind McCoy was a joke with Ronnie Brown. Lewis in his 2nd year and now Bryce and Polk to battle it out in camp for the #2 spot is great. Fantasy wise though you have to hold your breath and see who sticks in camp
Never really watched any Eagles games, but I was surprised Brown had little to no impact...did he just look bad or did Reid ride McCoy because he was so good (or a combo of both)?

I am right there with you. Last year behind McCoy was a joke with Ronnie Brown. Lewis in his 2nd year and now Bryce and Polk to battle it out in camp for the #2 spot is great. Fantasy wise though you have to hold your breath and see who sticks in camp
Never really watched any Eagles games, but I was surprised Brown had little to no impact...did he just look bad or did Reid ride McCoy because he was so good (or a combo of both)?
Brown was VERY bad. And of course there was that one game where he tried to lateral the ball inside the 5 I think. One of those 4th quarter turnovers that "lost" the game for us last year. He was a turd.

Brown was VERY bad. And of course there was that one game where he tried to lateral the ball inside the 5 I think. One of those 4th quarter turnovers that "lost" the game for us last year. He was a turd.
that play was horrid. Didn't they try to trade him a couple of days later to the Lions but the deal fell through? That was the last time I recall him being on the field actually.

They drafted Bryce Brown ahead of him so that means they must have had Bryce Brown rated as a 3rd rounder.
I thought about that, also. Maybe they figured they valued him more highly than others and he had a better chance of dropping?
Ya, Perhaps this was the case and they had inside knowledge that no one was gonna take this Polk kid. I personally would LOVE to see him on the team. Really interested who the odd man out of the 4 will be. Maybe Shady will be cut :P

'Deamon said:
'Mystery Achiever said:
Todd McShay (sp?) said that both he and the Eagles had Polk rated as a 4th rounder.
WOndering why they wouldn't take him earlier then? They drafted Bryce Brown ahead of him so that means they must have had Bryce Brown rated as a 3rd rounder.
Reid said they drafted Brown because they thought they would have too much competition signing him as an UDFA. I guess they thought they'd have an easier time signing Polk then Brown.

'Terpman22 said:
'Sweet Love said:
Degenerative hip.
I read that James Andrews okayed the shoulder and Polk adamentally denies a hip issue. I wonder if anything else will come out on this.

'Mystery Achiever said:
'Deamon said:
They drafted Bryce Brown ahead of him so that means they must have had Bryce Brown rated as a 3rd rounder.
I thought about that, also. Maybe they figured they valued him more highly than others and he had a better chance of dropping?
I think it had more to do with Brown's history. By drafting him, he's stuck with them...but he costs nothing to drop if they decide he isn't worth the headache.

'Terpman22 said:
'Sweet Love said:
Degenerative hip.
I don't think there is any evidence anywhere of that. Has he even ever had a hip injury?

'Terpman22 said:
'Sweet Love said:
Degenerative hip.
I don't think there is any evidence anywhere of that. Has he even ever had a hip injury?
mayock said "degenerative *something unintelligible*" during the draft coverage as to why he was falling... he then attempted to correct himself and didn't make any sense in doing so. that's the only time i heard of it until after the draft and i haven't seen any sources as to where this hip condition news is coming from. for him to not be drafted over his shoulder issues seems odd and i'm not sure we're ever going to know what it's about since he's denying this condition exists. i don't understand it but i'm happy for him to at least catch on with a team like the eagles and it will be interesting if he can go out and prove he should have been drafted. i can't say it's an ideal situation, but i think it's one to monitor.

'Deamon said:
'Mystery Achiever said:
Todd McShay (sp?) said that both he and the Eagles had Polk rated as a 4th rounder.
WOndering why they wouldn't take him earlier then? They drafted Bryce Brown ahead of him so that means they must have had Bryce Brown rated as a 3rd rounder.
Reid said they drafted Brown because they thought they would have too much competition signing him as an UDFA. I guess they thought they'd have an easier time signing Polk then Brown.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement that a head case like Brown would be a hot free agent and Polk wouldn't.

Bryce Brown: Inquirer: Bryce Brown quicker than PolkBryce Brown - RB - PHI - May. 12 - 11:58 am etThe Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane and Jonathan Tamari both believe No. 229 pick RB Bryce Brown has looked quicker than undrafted RB Chris Polk at Eagles' rookie minicamp.Brown has a few pounds on Polk and is an inch taller, so it's not good news for Polk's stock after he unexpectedly went undrafted. Polk is a more polished player than Brown, but it's telling Philly saw fit to spend a pick on Brown and not Polk. If Polk can prove he's healthy, however, he may have a leg up on Brown as they fight for what may be the same roster spot. May. 12 - 11:58 am et

Not surprising. Always viewed him as a straight line runner. His quickness is well below average for an NFL RB. His cuts are in slow motion -- watching him and Dion Lewis side-by-side in this regard and you'd bust out laughing.

He's a PS guy. He's got to change his upright running style or he won't be long in the NFL.

Even with little work the last 3 years, I'd still put my money on Brown as that 3rd RB in Philly.

Funny thing is a week before the Draft, FBG experts & the FBG polls had him ranked as the 4th /5th best RB prospect for 2012 ahead of James, Hillman, Pead & too close to Lamar Miller to seperate. That would generally make him a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick. He's now going as early as the late 3rd to 5th round.

What a difference the draft makes.

Wasn't Bryce Brown THE #1 high school recruit coming into college his draft class?I honestly don't know much about either guy but I'd say that its no given that Polk sticks (no pun intended).

I really like what the Eagles did after the draft. In addition to Polk, they added WR/KR Damaris Johnson, who was a yardage machine in college. Then they added CB Cliff Harris. All three guys were excellent college players who probably lack the athleticism or size for the NFL, but I am curious to see if any of them stick.

Source: http://seattletimes.com/html/huskies/2020017473_yearpolk30.html?syndication=rss

2012 newsmakers: Chris Polk

Chris Polk said he would have been more than happy spending one more year as a running back at Washington.

"It was a hard decision," he said of giving up his last year to declare for the NFL draft. "But it just seemed like the right time."

Polk said it all felt worth it when he stepped onto an NFL field this fall with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It was really surreal," he said. "That's the stuff you dream about. The closest I had gotten to an NFL field was making my own player on Madden (the video game)."

That feeling, he said, washed away any possible second thoughts about his decision after he had not been selected in the draft. Rumors circulated that teams had concerns about how well his left shoulder, on which he'd had two surgeries, would hold up. Polk said he didn't mind such talk.

"But I'm actually glad things happened this way," he said. "It made me want it more."

Polk said he had offers from the Redskins, Titans and Texans, among others, but chose the Eagles because he thought it was the best fit.

He made the 53-man roster and was active for most of the season — generally playing on special teams — until suffering a toe injury in November that caused him to miss five games.

He still keeps in touch with former UW roommate Keith Price and other Huskies, often while playing video games at night.

"It's definitely been a very eventful year," he said. "Just like my college years, with ups and downs. But overall, I wouldn't change anything."

Bob Condotta
I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on Polk's dynasty value? He went from being argued as a top 5 RB in last years rookie draft to being one of the last picks taken due to what happened at the draft. Are people holding him? Dropping him? I almost think he has little to no value ATM with him being buried on the depth chart in Philly... Now if the Eagles were to release him for some reason this off season.....

Source: http://seattletimes.com/html/huskies/2020017473_yearpolk30.html?syndication=rss

2012 newsmakers: Chris Polk

Chris Polk said he would have been more than happy spending one more year as a running back at Washington.

"It was a hard decision," he said of giving up his last year to declare for the NFL draft. "But it just seemed like the right time."

Polk said it all felt worth it when he stepped onto an NFL field this fall with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It was really surreal," he said. "That's the stuff you dream about. The closest I had gotten to an NFL field was making my own player on Madden (the video game)."

That feeling, he said, washed away any possible second thoughts about his decision after he had not been selected in the draft. Rumors circulated that teams had concerns about how well his left shoulder, on which he'd had two surgeries, would hold up. Polk said he didn't mind such talk.

"But I'm actually glad things happened this way," he said. "It made me want it more."

Polk said he had offers from the Redskins, Titans and Texans, among others, but chose the Eagles because he thought it was the best fit.

He made the 53-man roster and was active for most of the season — generally playing on special teams — until suffering a toe injury in November that caused him to miss five games.

He still keeps in touch with former UW roommate Keith Price and other Huskies, often while playing video games at night.

"It's definitely been a very eventful year," he said. "Just like my college years, with ups and downs. But overall, I wouldn't change anything."

Bob Condotta
I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on Polk's dynasty value? He went from being argued as a top 5 RB in last years rookie draft to being one of the last picks taken due to what happened at the draft. Are people holding him? Dropping him? I almost think he has little to no value ATM with him being buried on the depth chart in Philly... Now if the Eagles were to release him for some reason this off season.....
I drafted him as a developmental guy only, as I already have Charles, Sproles, and Martin. I'm holding him for now because he's at least been on the roster and hasn't been cut. If he starts hopping around 3-4 practice squads or goes another 2 years without doing anything I'll drop him.

Too bad he didn't choose the Redskins. He'd be doing what Alfred Morris did. They have similar styles.

Reading on Twitter that Polk was running with 2nd team today and has been looking good in camp. Chip Kelly also gave him some praise. Think there is anything here with a run heavy O and a coaching change? Could he end up as the #2 instead of Brown?

Found the quote. I like that Kelly called Polk versatile, an attribute he seems to like in players.

Interviewer: With Polk, you saw him for many years in the Pac‑10. He's obviously dropped a few pounds. So he looks a little differently from your camp. Same type of guy? Are you seeing similar attributes?

CHIP KELLY: Chris, yeah. I think in the last couple of days you've really seen Chris show up. He had a great practice when we were in the stadium. Hit a couple of nice runs today.

Really truly understands the blocking scheme, so he's patient in terms of understanding ‑‑ letting the blocks develop. But when he sees them, then sticking his foot in the ground and taking off. I think the last couple of days he's really come across.

I did see him in college. He was a workhorse for Washington. He was really the guy you had to stop. But he has versatility and can catch a ball coming out of the backfield. I think he's not just a one‑dimensional guy either.

Reading on Twitter that Polk was running with 2nd team today and has been looking good in camp. Chip Kelly also gave him some praise. Think there is anything here with a run heavy O and a coaching change? Could he end up as the #2 instead of Brown?
Rotoworld:

Eagles coach Chip Kelly praised RB Chris Polk Wednesday.
"Really truly understands the blocking scheme," Kelly said. "I think the last couple of days he's really come across. ... (He) has versatility and can catch a ball coming out of the backfield. I think he's not just a one‑dimensional guy." We haven't seen anything to suggest Polk is pushing Bryce Brown for No. 2 duties, but with the Eagles offense likely to be extremely run heavy, this could be an indication Kelly has a role in mind for his former Pac 12 foe. Polk remains off the fantasy radar, however.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Rotoworld:

According to CSN Philly, second-year RB Chris Polk is "making the best impression so far" of all the Eagles' running backs.
Polk dropped weight in the offseason and is reportedly ripping off "eye-opening carries" while taking away some second-team reps from Bryce Brown. Polk is worth monitoring in Dynasty leagues, but it's still difficult to imagine him emerging as a re-draft factor behind LeSean McCoy and more talented Brown.

Source: CSN Philly

I'm going to hedge my bet and pick up Polk now. Before everyone and there dawg jumps on picking him up. I'd say in a fast pace Kelly offense the #2 RB has some value. Can anyone tell me why Polk is already moving ahead of Brown? Polk has great size for a between the tackles RB I think.

I'm going to hedge my bet and pick up Polk now. Before everyone and there dawg jumps on picking him up. I'd say in a fast pace Kelly offense the #2 RB has some value. Can anyone

tell me why Polk is already moving ahead of Brown? Polk has great size for a between the tackles RB I think.
I grabbed him where I could last night -- I won't be at all surprised if Philly's #2 puts up solid fantasy RB3 / flex points. I like Bryce Brown also, and think he's probably still the heavy favorite to win the #2 spot, but with a new coach and a great TC you never know.

I'm going to hedge my bet and pick up Polk now. Before everyone and there dawg jumps on picking him up. I'd say in a fast pace Kelly offense the #2 RB has some value. Can anyone tell me why Polk is already moving ahead of Brown? Polk has great size for a between the tackles RB I think.
Because Brown can't make himself run north and south. Twinkle Toe's would rather run east and west.

First he showed up to camp in great shape and is playing a lot better than he was this time last year. And he looked good last year (just Brown looked better). Second Brown still fumbles a lot. Easy to trust Polk more.

Really all 3 RBs will get play. It's not an either/or situation. It's not Reid where the backup only gets a few carries a game. If the offense works the carries will come in waves.

Polk showing up affects Brown's upside for sure. With 3 solid RBs, the #2 RB is going from 12-15 touches a game to 8-12, I think, which has a lot less flex appeal. If McCoy misses any time, both guys could be RB2s.

Polk's history is he can't stay healthy. He didn't stay healthy last year and all he did was play special teams. You have to keep that in mind if you're going to pay anything other than BB$ for him. But there's some upside.

I put a strong bid on him in every league he was available last night. I would much rather roster him than any of the Eagles WR, even though I do like Shepard a bit.

@JordanRaanan: Interesting that with LeSean McCoy out Chris Polk running with ones ahead of Bryce Brown. Speaks volumes to the camp he has had. #Eagles

Don't forget that Bryce Brown slid for character reasons. I think those could resurface if he meets serious adversity.

Chip Kelly is very familiar with Polk from his days in college. Polk only slid in the draft because of health issues. Where there's smoke...

Users who are viewing this thread