What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another reason to hate Philadelphia (1 Viewer)

From the Appleton, WI Post-Crescent (www.postcrescent.com)Steven Hyden column: Welcome to Philadelphia: No class, no titles, no reason to bragSo Philly hates us. That’s the straight stuff from William Bunch, a writer for the Philadelphia Daily News who penned a vicious column slamming Green Bay (the area, not the team) in Monday’s paper. (Check it out at www.phillynews. com.)Bunch says we’re too small. And we lack culture. And that we’re basically just a bunch of dumb hicks with nothing to do except drink and watch football on the tee-vee. Apparently he is under the impression that us yokels don’t have Internet access. You best think again, pard-ner. Bunch’s anti-cheesehead screed has caused a minor stir on local television and sports radio talk shows this week. Humor deficient folks from all over the area are plenty worked up over this. When reached Wednesday morning, Bunch said he already had received 400 e-mails from angry Wisconsinites. (I’m guessing that won’t do much to change his bad impression of us, but oh well.)Personally, I couldn’t care less about what some guy from Philly says about my team or my home. Consider the source, people. Philadelphia is the Jan Brady of big American cities. Loud, ugly and perpetually whiny, Philly always will be a rest-stop between big sister New York City and little sister Washington, D.C. Philly wants to be big and important (hence the bluster), but it lacks the can’t-miss-it excitement of the former and the national prominence of the latter. Is there any wonder why these guys have an inferiority complex?I mean, at least we know who we are and are comfortable with it. We don’t pretend to be some big shot. Green Bay is a small town with small town values. Here in northeastern Wisconsin, we treat each other with kindness and respect. Cost of living is low, as is crime, and it doesn’t take several hours to get to work in the morning. If all that makes me a hick for choosing to live here, well, hand me my NASCAR jacket.The people of Philly, on the other hand, proudly boo Santa Claus. In fact, they proudly boo the only good things to come out of their city. When Donovan McNabb, one of the National Football League’s best quarterbacks, was drafted in 1999, Eagles fans booed. When hometown hoops star Kobe Bryant won the All-Star game MVP in 2002, local fans booed. Mike Schmidt, one of the greatest players ever to wear a Phillies uniform, was booed so much by fans at Veterans Stadium that he said the locals were “beyond help.”QUICK ANECDOTE: When I went to see the Eagles play the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte in November, representatives from the City of Brotherly Love impressed everybody by booing the Punt, Pass and Kick kids. These Philly people are sad individuals. You would be, too, if competitive futility hung over your town like a bad mullet on a Flyers fan. Seriously, this is the city where athletes go to fail, unless your name happens to be Rocky Balboa (and it’s not, because Rocky is A FICTIONAL CHARACTER).Look, we have Vince Lombardi and they have Buddy Ryan. We have the Ice Bowl (not to mention three Super Bowls), and they have the Bounty Bowl (and ZERO Super Bowls). Hey Donovan, how about you come over here to play once Brett retires? The boo birds fly south during football season. Steven Hyden writes about life from a 20-something perspective every Friday. He can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 296, or by e-mail at shyden@ postcrescent.com

Right in line with my comments on the Philly fans very early in this thread:

Philly fans are notoriously the WORST in terms of sportsmanship - it's the inferiority complex being sandwiched between Super Bowl winning Pittsburgh, Super Bowl winning New York, Super Bowl winning Baltimore, Super Bowl winning Washington D.C., and within earshot of Super Bowl winning Boston for so many years.
The "Jan Brady" of cities - now THAT'S good.

I am a native philadelphian and i don't defend this tasteless article, however i want to set the record straight about the santa claus incident:November 1968, the Eagles lose their 11th straight game as the miserable Joe Kuharich era winds down. At 0-11, they are poised to get the no. 1 pick which would be O.J. simpson. But the eagles can't even do that right. they win their next 2 games and roll into the final game 2-11, not good enough to surpass the 1-12-1 Bills for the no.1 pick. December 15 is cold as hell. The Santa Claus that was hired for the game is stuck in traffic and never shows. There happens to be some skinny drunk fan dressed in a Santa outfit. He starts making a pathetic scene and as the eagles lose the game, he gets booed. It wasn't like jolly old st. nick had a kid on his lap telling him he wants a fire truck. it was some loser who happened to be dressed like santa who got booed.

#### right they cheered when Michael Irvin went down. It was a great, CLEAN hit and the fans were fired up by it. Get over it.
:thumbup: I wonder what the reaction would have been in Oakland if say, Shannon Sharpe took a big hit and stayed down for a few minutes.BTW, I happened to turn on the tv during that Dal/Phi game while Irvin was down. I honestly did not hear the crowd cheering. I could tell right away that something was wrong because the camera was panning the crowd I thought they pretty silent. It was the next day when I read about the "cheering" that occured. I thought "what the hell were they watching? Oh wait, it happened in Philly. The media needs to blow it out of proportion." Hey, I'm sure the crowd cheered when Irvin first went down. Like I said, I wonder how those Raider fans would react to Sharpe taking a big hit?
Raiders fans wouldn't do anything, because they'd be too busy straightening their spikes or re-applying their face makeup to notice anything occurring on the field of play, and even if they could, they'd all be much too drunk to make out if it was one of their players or not.Yes, and I said "all". None of this "most of them are good but there are a few bad apples out there" apologist nonsense. Every Raiders fan is a knuckle-dragging goon who cares more about their outfit than football. :yes:

#### right they cheered when Michael Irvin went down. It was a great, CLEAN hit and the fans were fired up by it. Get over it.
:thumbup: I wonder what the reaction would have been in Oakland if say, Shannon Sharpe took a big hit and stayed down for a few minutes.BTW, I happened to turn on the tv during that Dal/Phi game while Irvin was down. I honestly did not hear the crowd cheering. I could tell right away that something was wrong because the camera was panning the crowd I thought they pretty silent. It was the next day when I read about the "cheering" that occured. I thought "what the hell were they watching? Oh wait, it happened in Philly. The media needs to blow it out of proportion." Hey, I'm sure the crowd cheered when Irvin first went down. Like I said, I wonder how those Raider fans would react to Sharpe taking a big hit?
Raiders fans wouldn't do anything, because they'd be too busy straightening their spikes or re-applying their face makeup to notice anything occurring on the field of play, and even if they could, they'd all be much too drunk to make out if it was one of their players or not.Yes, and I said "all". None of this "most of them are good but there are a few bad apples out there" apologist nonsense. Every Raiders fan is a knuckle-dragging goon who cares more about their outfit than football. :yes:
Kids, y'all KNOW what dog food tastes like?!??It takes just like it smells . . . . . . . Delicious!

1) Yes, "stupidest" is technically a word. Rich Kotite was technically an NFL head coach. If you regularly use the word "stupidest" you will begin to resemble it to many people.2) Russell is a moron, the equivalent of that "Wireless Magazine" guy that supplies dud movies with breathless quotes. He is angling for an ESPN.com job or somesuch and you're doing a great job of playing into his hands by jacking up the hit count on his idiotic "article".3) Some Philly fans are idiots. Philly itself can be a hostile place. But a lot of this is just self-fulfilling garbage. How often will I have to hear that Michael Irvin story? Gah! Every time I see him on ESPN I want TJ to tackle him and ruin the lines of his "suit" so I can boo him again!4) Green Bay is awesome. Lambeau is a mecca. Favre is a great player. All of these I do not dispute. But Green Bay fans can tend to be irritably self-important. Just remember, YOU are not Brett Favre or Vince Lombardi. You're just a sap like me filling the coffers of an organization you don't belong to.
great post, all four get a :thumbup:

I'll admit that we have more than our fair share of morons. We do.But the lion share are knowledgable passionate fans.To group all of us Eagles fans with the few morons would be moronic itself.Shame on you for perpetuating such a stereotype.Eagles 27Pack 13

Unfortunately YES this does reflect on your town when someone publishes crap like this. Obviously he threw it out there because he feels that's what the fans want. I guarantee you that guy gets run out of town in 99% of any other city.
So, does this respectful story about Irv and Brett Favre (on game-day no less) reflect on the city as well? Probably not, since it's not headline-grabbing.http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/7679681.htm

So Philly hates us. That’s the straight stuff from William Bunch, a writer for the Philadelphia Daily News who penned a vicious column slamming Green Bay (the area, not the team) in Monday’s paper. (Check it out at www.phillynews. com.)
William bunch has wrote another article degrading the city of the opponents. Here's his little description of Carolina. It seems the Philly sportswriters have nothing better to do than to spew lowly trash talk instead of writing about football:http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/fo...all/7689362.htm
In our mind there's nothing in CarolinaBy Will Bunchbunchw@phillynews.comWE knew it all along.Oh, sure, maybe some had their doubts - when the Eagles fell behind 14-0 in the first quarter, or when it was 4th-and-26, or when Brett Favre got the ball one last time in OT.But we knew we weren't losers. Where do you think we are - Charlotte?Charlotte - hometown of the Carolina Panthers - is a sprawling, ugly Sunbelt city that looks a lot like Atlanta. But Atlanta was once "the city too busy to hate."Charlotte is the city too easy to hate.This endless and soul-less NASCAR-hypnotized expanse of strip malls and Shoney's finally got its pro franchise when the NFL finally ran out of real cities somewhere between Jacksonville, Fla., and Nashville, Tenn. However, there is one area where the Carolinas can lay claim to major league status: The self-righteous hypocrisy of its rogue's gallery of unreformed segregationists and Bible-thumping con artists.Here's a reminder of things to hate about Charlotte and the Carolinas. Feel free to clip it out and carry it in your hip pocket every time this week you get too nonchalant about next Sunday.Has nothing on Green BayLast week, we castigated Green Bay, Wis., for having nothing to do. But to paraphrase W.C. Fields, on the whole we'd rather be ice-fishing in one of those wooden shacks in subzero northern Wisconsin than to be forced to spend a week in Charlotte.Charlotte is so dull that the city's nickname is "Charlotte."Even Charlotte boosters have to come up with clever euphemisms for "boring." One writer tried to praise it by calling "the quietest big city in America," somehow not quite as stirring as, say, "the city that never sleeps."Connection Charlotte's online list of "100 things to do" includes "play putt-putt at Celebration Station," "eat ice cream at Ben & Jerry's," "visit the main branch of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library," and "go shoe-shopping at DSW..." That last one is No. 42! Under the heading of "Raucous Pleasures," Charlotte.com notes that "Jillian's has been called a 'Chuck E. Cheese for grownups.' "Charlotte Observer sports columnist Tom Sorensen once wondered out loud why so many of its athletes became felons. "Is it our Bourbon Street, our South Beach, our Times Square that gets them? If so, where are our Bourbon Street, our South Beach and our Times Square? Tell me before I get old."Amen.Hey, Charlotte: F.U.!People from Charlotte have always been pretty dumb when it comes to money. In 1799, Conrad Reed found a glittery, 17-pound rock in a stream 25 miles north of town. A local silversmith couldn't identify it, so Reed used it as a doorstop for two years before someone told him the glittery stuff was actually gold.But Reed seems a financial genius when compared to Charlotte's Edward Crutchfield Jr. - the rocket scientist who schemed to take over Philadelphia's largest bank, CoreStates Financial, with his own Carolina-based First Union Bank in 1998.Crutchfield was so convinced he could get rich here in Philly that he paid five times what CoreStates should have been worth and then boasted that he'd "stacked billion-dollar bills" on the table.Once the euphoria wore off, Crutchfield realized the only way to pay for the deal was to hike fees while touting something called a Future Bank where employees wouldn't handle deposits, withdrawals and loan applications - i.e., the things people go to a bank for. Any wonder that Philadelphians left the aptly named F.U. in droves? Within two years, F.U.'s stock was worth less than a Confederate dollar, and Crutchfield was out of a job.A kick in the ShinnActually, it was the NBA that first made the mistake of thinking that Charlotte was a major league city. In 1988, the league awarded a pro franchise to a self-made millionaire and motivational speaker named George Shinn.Charlotans, or whatever you call them, were so thrilled to have something to do besides buy shoes and hang out at the library that the teal-uniformed Hornets led the NBA in attendance until 1997.That's when it came out that Shinn, married for 27 years, had taken a women he met while visiting a nephew at a drug rehab center back to his mansion, where she performed oral sex on him. A jury cleared Shinn of sexual assault charges, but during the trial it came out that Shinn had additionally had a two-year affair with a Hornets cheerleader who was also a waitress at a Mexican restaurant where the owner used to go - with his family!The scandal hurt the Hornets so badly that the team had to leave town. It also really hurt the sales of Shinn's motivational book - titled "Good Morning, Lord."Hypocrite Hall of FameActually, Shinn is just the latest in a long line of hypocrites to come out of Charlotte and the backward hinterlands that surround it. Here, quickly, is the Carolinas' Hypocrite Hall of Fame.JIM AND TAMMY FAYE BAKKER. The founders of the Christian fundamentalist PTL Club set a high standard of hypocrisy. Jim Bakker preached family values even though he was a bisexual who arranged to have sex with a buxom (and drugged) church secretary named Jessica Hahn, and then paid her $265,000 in a failed effort to cover it up. His real downfall, though, was a "Christian theme park" called Heritage USA in which Bakker did the Christian thing of bilking scores of small investors. He was jailed, while cosmetically challenged Tammy Faye remarried.BILLY GRAHAM. Richard Nixon's spiritual adviser did preach a more positive message and was a moderate on race, but ironically it is Nixon's White House tapes that have tarnished Graham's once-stellar image. He urged massive bombing of North Vietnam while he was recorded saying of Jews: "...they don't know how I feel about what they are doing to this country."We do now, Billy.JESSE HELMS. Whenever somebody tries this week - and they will - to talk about the New South and North Carolina's high-tech industries, just remind them that the state returned Helms to Washington as recently as 1996!Helms started in politics in 1950 helping a Senate candidate who won with a doctored picture of the incumbent's wife dancing with a black man, then railed against "Negro hoodlums" as a TV commentator. In Washington, he fought the Martin Luther King holiday and the reauthorization of the Voting Rights Act - when he wasn't lending his support to right-wing dictators around the globe.STROM THURMOND. Jim Bakker had nothing, hypocrisy-wise, on the recently departed Thurmond, who - as a segregationist candidate for president in 1948 - fought to keep what he called "the Nigra race" out of swimming pools and movie theaters even though we know now he was doing the wild thing with his family's teenage black servant.As a U.S. senator from South Carolina, Thurmond accomplished little but to cement his reputation as a womanizer. He tried and failed to date Lyndon Johnson's teenage daughter, and - in his 90s - attempted to grope Sen. Patty Murray in an elevator. A colleague, John Tower, predicted famously that at Thurmond's funeral "they'll have to beat his ------- down with a baseball bat to close the coffin lid."(E-mail bunchw@phillynews.com for the actual word. You must be 18 or over to participate.)Panthers' felony rapsTragically, this record of moral turpitude has carried over to the Panthers' football franchise.No need to discuss the tragic cases of Rae Carruth or Fred Lane (although I can't promise my bad-cop colleague Don Russell won't later this week).But it's hard to ignore quarterback Kerry Collins, who came out of Penn State with a bright future only to leave Carolina with a drinking problem and a busted jaw after uttering a racial slur to a teammate. Collins had to go to New York - of all places! - to sober up and lead his team to a Super Bowl. And for all you Carolina fans who think that's all in the past, that you can come here to Philadelphia and find success, I must remind you once again of these two letters:F.U.

I remember seeing some people on the message board at Philly.com joke about the death of Joe Jurivicious' son.This doesn't surprize me.How sad can some people be?
Well, hopefully one of their own beloved's family will kick off....you know, maybe Momma McNabb will get hit by a bus or perhaps Andy Reid's wife will get breast cancer and die. Maybe seven year old Troy Vincent Jr will get kidnapped and murdered. Then they can have material for their comedy routines for months to come. What a riot that will be! :rolleyes: What a bunch of pathetic pieces of ####. :(

The title of the article should have been - "Phillie Publication Tries to Backpedal After Disrespecting On Favre's Deceased Dad"
Actually, two different newspapers. The lowlife Russell writes for the Daily News. The other article was in the Inquirer.

I dont understand this article. There are no direct quotes, no references, only insinuation without proof.I call:||||||J

Doesn't this thread belong in the FFA?? I mean really, is there an ounce of football/FFL knowledge to be had here? This is nothing more than blatant bashing (deserved or not). :confused:

Christ, thats terrible. Not unexpected from the stupidest fans(Woodrow excluded) in the NFL.
Philly fans are by far the most passionate and knowledgeable fans in the NFL. The knucklehead that wrote that articles got ripped by the philly fans for it.Please don't make arrogant generalizations about the Philadelphia fan base. You just don't know.

Fans do not = the team. Philly fans are notoriously the WORST in terms of sportsmanship - it's the inferiority complex being sandwiched between Super Bowl winning Pittsburgh, Super Bowl winning New York, Super Bowl winning Baltimore, Super Bowl winning Washington D.C., and within earshot of Super Bowl winning Boston for so many years. I was shocked Jason Wood was such a good guy, and balanced about other teams' players, after I found out he was an Eagles fan. JK - several of my best friends out here in Denver, and about a third of my big money leagues, are all Philly fans, and they are great guys. No joke.What do you expect from fans who BOOED Santa Claus, and CHEERED when Michael Irvin received a season ending, and career threatening, injury?
EVERY city boo's at one time or another and many other cities have cheered injured players. Again, you guys are looking for a villain and are jumping on the media bandwagon regarding the national perception of philly fans......

You would think, after the three or four threads that come up EVERY year after Philly fans do something totally classless, that the clue light would start to come on and Philly fans would start to realize that the rep they have is well deserved. But yet every year they come in here defending and even trying to JUSTIFY their actions. Amazing.
Please state the 3-4 classless things Philly fans did this year? How about last year?You, sir, are the PERFECT example of the sheep that have bought into incorrect nat'l perception of Philly. Thank you for helping me state my point.

I know what you are saying - it's like being a Raiders fan and having a problem with the rest of the nation thinking your team is made up of hooligans and that the team's fans are a bit over the top in their costumes.That's the rep - well deserved, too - that the Eagles' fans demonstrate the least amount of sportsmanship, and the most amount of bad class of any fans in the league. They BOOED McNabb when he was selected.It's humorous to see Philly fans defending other fans' bad acts.
Very funny........another example of being misinformed.Firstly, how many NY fans have boo'ed draft selections made by their teams? Right...a whole lot!There were maybe 10-20 eagles fans there that day that boo'ed the PICK not McNabb. They wanted Ricky Williams, a RUNNING BACK but got a QB instead, knowing that the QB picked would not make an immediate impact for the team like Williams may have. The booed the PICK, not MCNABB.......remember that.To be honest, at the time, even I wanted Ricky Williams with that pick. I would have been dead wrong....

Maybe seven year old Troy Vincent Jr will get kidnapped and murdered.
As the father to a young child, I've got to call you out as a complete jerk for this statement. I'm just sorry that there is a language filter here so I cannot describe you as you should be for this unforgivable statement. :hot:

QUOTE (AhrnCityPahnder @ Jan 13 2004, 02:59 AM) Maybe seven year old Troy Vincent Jr will get kidnapped and murdered. As the father to a young child, I've got to call you out as a complete jerk for this statement. I'm just sorry that there is a language filter here so I cannot describe you as you should be for this unforgivable statement.
Like I mentioned earlier, I think at this point this thread needs to be shut down. Nothing but a pissing war going on. Ignorant idiots just painting an entire fan base with a very large brush. Hypocrites.

So wait, it's ok for some Philly fans to mock Irv's death and laugh about Joe J's sons death, but when I use sarcasm (note the rolleyes) to suggest that it may not be so funny when it hits close to home, I'm the villian?Heh...ok folks. Love the logic. And, for the record, I am not painting all Philly fans with my brush..I specifically mentioned the ones mocking Joe J's kid's death. Get a grip.

I know I should avoid these threads but I just can't help myself.Its amazing to me how the Eagles fans sterotype has perpetuated and persisted over all these years based on a few overblown incidents and biased media coverage. As someone mentioned above, you guys are just sheep.I hate the term "haters" but thats all some of you are. You look for any shred of info to back up your feelings against the Eagles. I'm sure very few of you actually have any experience with fans at the Linc or at the Vet. And most people only remember are the few idiots they run into and not the other 60,000 devoted fans. I'm sure there are some at every stadium around the NFL.The incidents everyone keeps pointing at are crazy:- Santa ---> Some drunk fan in a lousy santa suit, it was not actually Santa Claus as some of you seem to believe.- Kobe ---> Kobe was from a prep school just outside of Philly (when not in Italy) and trashed the fans and city. What do you expect? "Hey Kobe's right!... lets all move to LA!" ?- Booing Donovan at the draft ---> A local radio station that was pushing for Ricky Williams gathered up a crowd to boo at anyone else that was drafted. This was not the feeling of the general fan, just the people that went along and got a trip from the radio station to boo.- Michael Irvin ---> I was at the game! The crowd didn't erupt into cheering when we realized he was hurt, it was after a good solid hit on him. When he was down for a while the crowd got pretty quiet. Then Deion started dancing around doing his "Holy Ghost Dance" and anyone who saw that was booing him.Get a grip, get a life, quit being so negative and just enjoy the games... we're seeing some great playoff football so far. :thumbup:

I know I should avoid these threads but I just can't help myself.Its amazing to me how the Eagles fans sterotype has perpetuated and persisted over all these years based on a few overblown incidents and biased media coverage. As someone mentioned above, you guys are just sheep.I hate the term "haters" but thats all some of you are. You look for any shred of info to back up your feelings against the Eagles. I'm sure very few of you actually have any experience with fans at the Linc or at the Vet. And most people only remember are the few idiots they run into and not the other 60,000 devoted fans. I'm sure there are some at every stadium around the NFL.The incidents everyone keeps pointing at are crazy:- Santa ---> Some drunk fan in a lousy santa suit, it was not actually Santa Claus as some of you seem to believe.- Kobe ---> Kobe was from a prep school just outside of Philly (when not in Italy) and trashed the fans and city. What do you expect? "Hey Kobe's right!... lets all move to LA!" ?- Booing Donovan at the draft ---> A local radio station that was pushing for Ricky Williams gathered up a crowd to boo at anyone else that was drafted. This was not the feeling of the general fan, just the people that went along and got a trip from the radio station to boo.- Michael Irvin ---> I was at the game! The crowd didn't erupt into cheering when we realized he was hurt, it was after a good solid hit on him. When he was down for a while the crowd got pretty quiet. Then Deion started dancing around doing his "Holy Ghost Dance" and anyone who saw that was booing him.Get a grip, get a life, quit being so negative and just enjoy the games... we're seeing some great playoff football so far. :thumbup:
Can't agree with you more Lehigh!! Most of the naysayers in this thread make me sick. 95% of them haven't even stepped foot in the Linc or the Vet and do not have ANY clue as to the class of the Philly fans. I have gone to numerous games in both buildings and loved every minute of it. Philly has the most passionate fans in the NFL. No one can match it. Anyone who says otherwise is only jealous of a real football franchise that actually wins on a consistant basis.Get a grip!!!

Please state the 3-4 classless things Philly fans did this year? How about last year?You, sir, are the PERFECT example of the sheep that have bought into incorrect nat'l perception of Philly. Thank you for helping me state my point.
Werent Eagle's fans BOOING their team about 8 minutes into the season? The Eagles are playing against the defending Superbowl champions and it's a scoreless game, and the fans are already booing their home team. Before the end of the first quarter, with the score tied! Going up against the defending champs! The next week I believe it took fans about 5 minutes to start booing Mcnabb and company for not wrapping the game up already.I don't think that Philly fans are out killing anyone but they sure love to boo their own team.

Werent Eagle's fans BOOING their team about 8 minutes into the season? The Eagles are playing against the defending Superbowl champions and it's a scoreless game, and the fans are already booing their home team. Before the end of the first quarter, with the score tied! Going up against the defending champs! The next week I believe it took fans about 5 minutes to start booing Mcnabb and company for not wrapping the game up already.I don't think that Philly fans are out killing anyone but they sure love to boo their own team.
And thr Rams don't? :rolleyes: Every team's fans boo. Stop generalizng with just the Eagles fans.

Philly has the most passionate fans in the NFL. No one can match it. Anyone who says otherwise is only jealous of a real football franchise that actually wins on a consistant basis.Get a grip!!!
Jeez, that's not much homerism, is it? What FANS dont claim to have the most passionate fans for their own teams? The Raiders, the Pats, the Broncos, the Bills, the Jets, the Cowboys, they all have big fanbases and have fans that will claim to be the most passionate fanbase.I'm a Pats fan and we get passionate but I thought it was a given that the Packers fans trump the NFL. They win the Cambell Soup giveaway every year and I don't think there's much more to do in Green Bay than to cheer on the pack anyways.

So wait, it's ok for some Philly fans to mock Irv's death and laugh about Joe J's sons death, but when I use sarcasm (note the rolleyes) to suggest that it may not be so funny when it hits close to home, I'm the villian?
Did I suggest "...that it's ok for some Philly fans to mock Irv's death and laugh about Joe J's sons death"?And there are some places you don't go, one of them being a young child being kidnapped and murdered. If you can't see this, you're pathetic.

Please state the 3-4 classless things Philly fans did this year?  How about last year?You, sir, are the PERFECT example of the sheep that have bought into incorrect nat'l perception of Philly.  Thank you for helping me state my point.
And thr Rams don't? :rolleyes: Every team's fans boo. Stop generalizng with just the Eagles fans.
That's not generalizing, that's specifically pointing out instances where Philly fans suck. All fans boo but no one as much as the yahoos in Philly. Cloud it any way you want to in this thread, it's well known to be the case.You can defend Philly for anything else, but PLEASE don't try and suggest that fans in Philly arent eager to let loose boos on their own team.

Please state the 3-4 classless things Philly fans did this year?  How about last year?You, sir, are the PERFECT example of the sheep that have bought into incorrect nat'l perception of Philly.  Thank you for helping me state my point.
That's not generalizing, that's specifically pointing out instances where Philly fans suck. All fans boo but no one as much as the yahoos in Philly. Cloud it any way you want to in this thread, it's well known to be the case.You can defend Philly for anything else, but PLEASE don't try and suggest that fans in Philly arent eager to let loose boos on their own team.
Did you ever consider it may be the call of "DUCE" rather than "BOO"? You are a real piece of work. Keep the generalizations coming. It's too easy to shoot holes in them.

I would rather have gone to Beirut than the 700 level at the old vet wearing a Cowboys jersey.

After an off-season of hype surrounding the new stadium (a bitter off-season at that) and the way the team started, don't you think fans in ANY city would start to get a bit uneasy? I mean, this was an off-season billed as "Super Bowl or Bust" and for the team to come out as flat as they did, would expect the fans to be patient?So Philly gets criticized for booing, yet no one remembers Browns fans CHEERING their injured QB?? Am I the only one that remembers that ugly incident from last year?? Hell, even the announcers commented on the rude behavior! I would think that behavior would be more offensive to fans....

So wait, it's ok for some Philly fans to mock Irv's death and laugh about Joe J's sons death, but when I use sarcasm (note the rolleyes) to suggest that it may not be so funny when it hits close to home, I'm the villian?
Did I suggest "...that it's ok for some Philly fans to mock Irv's death and laugh about Joe J's sons death"?And there are some places you don't go, one of them being a young child being kidnapped and murdered. If you can't see this, you're pathetic.
No, you didn't suggest that it was ok, But you DID skip right over those examples when it comes to dishing out your righteous indignation and then directed all of that to me. When you should know (unless you're a total moron) that I was making a point and wouldn't actually want that to happen in real life.We're it me, I think me parental sensabilities would be much more offended at Philly fans mocking Joe J's kid -- That interview with him and his wife is one of the saddest things I have ever seen -- than at a hypothetical I used to turn the tables on people with this mindset. I was making a point. If using an extreme example to do so makes me pathetic in your eyes, that's fine. So, continue on -- sit there with your fire-face and call me names. I'll check in tomorrow and let you know how much sleep I lose becuase of it.You've already shown me that you don't pick up on the big picture very well, so your opinion of me doesn't matter very much at all. Enjoy.

All fans boo but no one as much as the yahoos in Philly. Cloud it any way you want to in this thread, it's well known to be the case.
Please post your statistical evidence to back up this "well known" claim.Thanks.

Here, I'm not making this up. Let's bash Cleveland for a change...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/n...rts/1510.0.html

Sunday night Couch lay face down on the field at Cleveland Browns Stadium, out with a concussion, and he heard a group of fans actually cheering the fact that he was injured.

“Not a very fun game,” Couch said. “Not a fun situation for me to be in.”

Edit to add that I'll be waiting for the public outcry....notice you didn't see this nightly on ESPN. Could you imagine if it happened in Philly....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, I'm not making this up. Let's bash Cleveland for a change...http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/n...rts/1510.0.htmlSunday night Couch lay face down on the field at Cleveland Browns Stadium, out with a concussion, and he heard a group of fans actually cheering the fact that he was injured. “Not a very fun game,” Couch said. “Not a fun situation for me to be in.”
I knew that alot of Philly fans went down to the Phi-Mia game but its amazing that that many of them went to a Cleveland game. I'm assuming it could have only been Philly fans because, of course, we're the only ones that boo.

And let's not leave out the Giants fans:

12/27/95]Apology to Chargers in the works

The New York Giants will be running an add in some of the major newspapers of the San Diego area apologizing to the Chargers, their staff and fans for the embarrassing snowball throwing incident at Giants Stadium on December 23, 1995.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[12/25/95]Season tickets revoked for some

Over 75 season tickets were revoked as a result of the snowball throwing incident in Saturday's game. As fans were ejected from the stadium, ticket stubs were confiscated and subsequently the rights to those seats revoked by the New Jersey Sports Authority and the New York Giants. Unfortunately most of the fans ejected were not the season ticket holders themselves, however, the season ticket holders are responsible for the actions of those who hold the seats themselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[12/23/95]Giants close out the season on a poor note

The Giants lost the final game of the season 27-17 at home vs San Diego in what will probably be remembered as the snowball game. Unruly fans threw snowballs and iceballs at Charger fans and players, even knocking the San Diego equipment manager unconcious. Over 200 fans were ejected from the stadium and 80 ticket stubs were confiscated.

http://www.bbwc.com/History/1995/nynews.html

And how about the 'class' Cubs fans demonstrated:

Cubs fan who deflected ball defended

By Debbie Howlett, USA TODAY

CHICAGO — His name is Steve Bartman, and most Cubs fans said he should be left alone. But there are some in Cubs Nation who want to kill him. At least that's what they were shouting — amid the flurry of obscenities and a hail of beer — after the 26-year-old in a battered Cubs cap snatched a foul ball away from the reach of left fielder Moises Alou in the eighth inning of Tuesday night's Game 6 of the National League Championship Series

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/pl...5-the-fan_x.htm

Yeah, I certainly see where "low class" is limited to Philly... :yucky:

It's very sad that even after many of us Philly fans have explained our point of view, cited specific instances in other cities, and have demonstrated reasons behind past actions blown out of proportion, the perception will remain that we are "classless" and "unruly"........If I managed to sway just one person into accepting this misperception as it truly is, my work here is done......For the rest of you sheep that beleive what you hear despite the facts and proof, I feel sorry that you will continue to live in ignorance.......Good job by mudshark in citing MANY references of awful fan behavior that everyone seems to have "forgotten" about......even with all of those "classless" instances in other cities, I would never be as arrogant to condemn an entire fan base of those teams, as the rest of you have done regarding Philly. (here's where you are all supposed to lower your heads in shame.... :) )

I am a lifelong supporter of the Philadelphia Eagles. By the time the Packers game came around, I couldn't possibly have another puff of smoke blown up my *** about Favre's magical sleighride of destiny through the playoffs. I don't care about him, or his dead father. It's over. I don't care about the Eagles gaining the respect of the national media, but Jeez...by and large they made it seem like the players were wasting their time going against Brett and Irv. Bottom line is, most people are ignorant casual fans and they need a subtext they can identify with(Favre's father, Warner's grocery bagging, Brady's rise to victory, etc) and I accept that. The bad-guy Philly fan is another story that idiots around the country can sink their teeth into. Bon apetite, dum-dums(in Great Gazoo voice).

And to its' credit, today's Phila Daily News ran a whole page of readers replies of complaints about that article.

You can't take this away from us, no matter what your opinion is about Philly fans. We, like all of you, JUST WANT TO ####### WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WE'RE GETTING REAL BITTER THAT WE HAVEN'T IN A LONG TIME.

But I ask you this, could any of you possiblly cheer for a drunk Santa Claus? I would worry about you a little more if you did. ;)

I had my first encounter this past weekend with two Eagle fans. It started when two guys who were late twenties, short, drunk, and very loud with bad mustaches reminding me vaguely of the little guy in Super Mario. They spent the entire game at a sports bar berating a fifty-five year old female packer fan. They were derrogatory, obscene, and even tried to be threatening-though how truly threatening can little Mario Bros look-a-likes really be. When the Eagles finally prevailed they celebrated by dumping a beer over the lady's cheesehead. At that point I had enough. I got up, went over to the runts, and then I met the Eagles fans. Seems two true fans were so embarrassed by the acts of these a-holes that they grabbed the jerks by their necks, walked them to the lady and forced them to apologize, took their money to pay the lady's tab, and escorted them from the bar.

I had my first encounter this past weekend with two Eagle fans. It started when two guys who were late twenties, short, drunk, and very loud with bad mustaches reminding me vaguely of the little guy in Super Mario. They spent the entire game at a sports bar berating a fifty-five year old female packer fan. They were derrogatory, obscene, and even tried to be threatening-though how truly threatening can little Mario Bros look-a-likes really be. When the Eagles finally prevailed they celebrated by dumping a beer over the lady's cheesehead. At that point I had enough. I got up, went over to the runts, and then I met the Eagles fans. Seems two true fans were so embarrassed by the acts of these a-holes that they grabbed the jerks by their necks, walked them to the lady and forced them to apologize, took their money to pay the lady's tab, and escorted them from the bar.
Dealt with in the most appropriate manner. In fact, you were probably too kind. I had a similar encounter with a bitter Giants fan this weekend. I think he was loaded when he walked into a bar full of Eagles fans and proceeded to shoot his mouth off. The lady he was with was obviously embarrassed as she kept telling him to watch what he says. We just let him spout off. After awhile he just gave up. Jerks all around I tell ya.

Dealt with in the most appropriate manner. In fact, you were probably too kind. I had a similar encounter with a bitter Giants fan this weekend. I think he was loaded when he walked into a bar full of Eagles fans and proceeded to shoot his mouth off. The lady he was with was obviously embarrassed as she kept telling him to watch what he says. We just let him spout off. After awhile he just gave up. Jerks all around I tell ya.
The two true fans did mention that it was jerks like the two drunks they threw out who give all eagle fans a bad name.

I don't care about him, or his dead father. The bad-guy Philly fan is another story that idiots around the country can sink their teeth into. Bon apetite, dum-dums(in Great Gazoo voice).
Great job debunking the "bad-guy Philly fan" story.By the way, why hasn't anybody mentioned the J.D. Drew battery incident?

Here's a take from Jill Porter of the Philadelphia Daily News, who's obviously very proud of Eagles' fans behavior.Nice
A good read.She's obviously quite intelligent and well-spoken.I'd be curious to know the "hard-core" Philly fan's perspective on it.

Users who are viewing this thread