What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL2 - Comments (1 Viewer)

Jackal King

Footballguy
Sorely tempted to take Welker at 2.04. But, TE too important to let Witten go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grabbed Vernon Davis as he is a great PPR TE, and a TD target for SF. But the addition of the WR options in SF make me a bit hesistant to celebrate. Was considering AJ Green instead at that slot, but see TE drop off happening quickly from that point.

Anyone else have thoughts on Davis with the 2012 niners? Repeat of last year, or will the additional offensive weapons reduce his workload? Or will it take some of the coverage off him and open up the field?

Really liking things so far.

1.08 Ryan Mathews If (and I know it's a big if) he stays healthy, I think he is a top three back.

2.09 Trent Richardson A three down back as my #2, thank you, may I have another?

3.08 Aaron Hernandez I would have taken him at 2.09 if Richardson was gone, a no brainer.

4.09 Peyton Manning I need a QB or WR here looks like QBs might run and I didn't like what I might get at 5.08 If I wait I'd have to take QBs at 5.08 and 6.09 and they still might suck. Stung a little missing Romo by one pick, but I'll take Peyton here.

Really liking things so far.1.08 Ryan Mathews If (and I know it's a big if) he stays healthy, I think he is a top three back.2.09 Trent Richardson A three down back as my #2, thank you, may I have another?3.08 Aaron Hernandez I would have taken him at 2.09 if Richardson was gone, a no brainer.4.09 Peyton Manning I need a QB or WR here looks like QBs might run and I didn't like what I might get at 5.08 If I wait I'd have to take QBs at 5.08 and 6.09 and they still might suck. Stung a little missing Romo by one pick, but I'll take Peyton here.
I personally thought Mathews at 1.08 is a bit early, and with 20/20 hindsight a WR1 there would have been a better pick IMHO. Decent values throughout, but have to wonder how the total WR by committee approach will serve you.Also some concerns on Peyton's health, as we're not out of the woods there at all.

Core starters. A little long in the tooth, but consistent and proven producers.

1.13 - Maurice Jones-Drew (RB1/RB5 overall) - Fluke getting MJD with 13. Not a hard decision. Top 5 QB's and 2 TE's gone. Decision was MJD or Chris Johnson.

2.04 - Jason Witten (TE1/TE4 overall) Another safe play. If I thought Hernandez or Finley would have lasted to 3.13, I'd have gone Andre Johnson here.

3.13 - Marques Colston (WR1/WR18 overall) Thought I'd have better options here. Will need to get deeper at WR to buffer the risk with Colstons knee.

4.04 - Eli Manning (QB1/QB8 overall)- Anticipated getting Rivers, Vick or Eli here. Was hoping Rivers or Vick would make it. But, Eli is right there with those guys.

If rostering WR was optional, I would be feeling pretty good about the team right now. I see some teams that look better, and a couple picks that I would not have taken. Not to disrespect anyone, I will list them for discussion purposes. Feel free to pick apart my picks if you wish. I list them as of round four for your convenience:

QB Matt Ryan (4)

RB LeSean McCoy (1)

TE Vernon Davis (2)

RB Demarco Murray (3)

In a nutshell, McCoy and Murray both very involved in passing game and the feature backs of fairly explosive offenses. Davis, many targets, red zone opportunities. Ryan, dependable with running game taking less of a role and Julio should hit stride this year. Wish they would have picked up a young TE.

Picks I didn't like

Ryan Matthews, not over MJD or Johnson. injury history mostly, but with Tolbert gone, he should see the field a lot. Productive while healthy. Probably would prefer Newton as well to this pick.

MJD and Adrian Peterson - do you skip on talent like this? MJD has a lot of miles on him, still playing for the Jags, and didn't he hold out of pre-season training because of knee surgery or injury? AD's injury concerns me too, especially with limited offensive weapons for the Vikings. Perhaps Kalil will aid in the line, but I do worry that he won't be the same this season or at least the first part. Would be a shame to be booted because a round one pick needed six weeks to get back to form. I would have skipped on them, too much risk for the first round. DMac, Murray, hearing good things now, so little worry about this fall.

Welker, every year I am amazed that there are enough passes to spread around that offense. Only Brady and Peyton could make so many so productive (as opposed to Travis Henry who made so many so reproductive). I would take him around WR10, but I am an overanalyzer.

Trent Richardson - rookie, playing in Cleveland, not sure of his pass blocking skills or receiving ability at this level, not sure if there will be a qb controversy. Heck, he could get staph infection there. Just too high for him. Talent and lack of competition (meaning opportunity) with so-so surrounding cast not a great bet. He'll probably be a stud but I don't see it there. If he had gone to a different team, but Cleveland.

Sproles, NO is possibly going to be a mess with the scandal gate or whatever they are calling it. That kind of thing was going on in Division III ball when I played in the late 80s. Probably started during the second half of the first game of the sport. Not condoning it at all, as it can destroy a person's health, career, life even. Sproles way outperformed everyone's expectations last year, being used the way he plays best. However, there are still four good to great RBs, a dominant air game, and a hampered defense. I am going to bump all NO players down a touch. Except for Graham, he is PPR gold.

Brandon Marshall, just a personal thing, realize he has a personality disorder, but new team, less than great performance last year, and very dominant running game in Chicago. Mostly the mental maturity/disorder issue though.

Dez Bryant, head case thing, I wonder if a lot of long-time FF find themselves playing the risks or steering clear over time? Been burned a time or two, so I am staying away from guys like this for the most part.

Steven Jackson, I am an absolute fan of this person and player, but he has carried this team for years. On a different team, he would be spoken of like Eric Dickerson. The sad line play and diminished passing game during Bulger's last season and the WR problems last year made it very difficult for SJax. Back surgery last year... Will probably have a few great games and some that are clear struggles.

Jordy Nelson is a class player, will he definitely get more than Finley, Jennings, and Jones (yes, I said Jones)? I see Jones eating into his targets more than most do, but he is still a great pick here. I just would be hesitant given all the competition on the field for targets. Don't forget, Driver and Cobb. Lots of talent.

Jamaal Charles, haven't seen updates to his condition, and the addition of Hillis (granted, likely to take TJ's role primarily but he is also an excellent receiving back), as well as all the passing targets in KC game now. Not sure we are going to see he meet this and be a reliable RB1 for Shadowfax. Same as AD, worry about the first month.

Doug Martin, same as Richardson relative to being a rookie. TB is a much better team opportunity, but there is Blount (yes, headcase) and Smith. Passing game really seems to be developing down there as well.

None of these are rank amateur picks, just ones I would not have made at those spots.

If rostering WR was optional, I would be feeling pretty good about the team right now. I see some teams that look better, and a couple picks that I would not have taken. Not to disrespect anyone, I will list them for discussion purposes. Feel free to pick apart my picks if you wish. I list them as of round four for your convenience:QB Matt Ryan (4)RB LeSean McCoy (1)TE Vernon Davis (2)RB Demarco Murray (3)In a nutshell, McCoy and Murray both very involved in passing game and the feature backs of fairly explosive offenses. Davis, many targets, red zone opportunities. Ryan, dependable with running game taking less of a role and Julio should hit stride this year. Wish they would have picked up a young TE.Picks I didn't likeRyan Matthews, not over MJD or Johnson. injury history mostly, but with Tolbert gone, he should see the field a lot. Productive while healthy. Probably would prefer Newton as well to this pick.MJD and Adrian Peterson - do you skip on talent like this? MJD has a lot of miles on him, still playing for the Jags, and didn't he hold out of pre-season training because of knee surgery or injury? AD's injury concerns me too, especially with limited offensive weapons for the Vikings. Perhaps Kalil will aid in the line, but I do worry that he won't be the same this season or at least the first part. Would be a shame to be booted because a round one pick needed six weeks to get back to form. I would have skipped on them, too much risk for the first round. DMac, Murray, hearing good things now, so little worry about this fall. Welker, every year I am amazed that there are enough passes to spread around that offense. Only Brady and Peyton could make so many so productive (as opposed to Travis Henry who made so many so reproductive). I would take him around WR10, but I am an overanalyzer.Trent Richardson - rookie, playing in Cleveland, not sure of his pass blocking skills or receiving ability at this level, not sure if there will be a qb controversy. Heck, he could get staph infection there. Just too high for him. Talent and lack of competition (meaning opportunity) with so-so surrounding cast not a great bet. He'll probably be a stud but I don't see it there. If he had gone to a different team, but Cleveland.Sproles, NO is possibly going to be a mess with the scandal gate or whatever they are calling it. That kind of thing was going on in Division III ball when I played in the late 80s. Probably started during the second half of the first game of the sport. Not condoning it at all, as it can destroy a person's health, career, life even. Sproles way outperformed everyone's expectations last year, being used the way he plays best. However, there are still four good to great RBs, a dominant air game, and a hampered defense. I am going to bump all NO players down a touch. Except for Graham, he is PPR gold.Brandon Marshall, just a personal thing, realize he has a personality disorder, but new team, less than great performance last year, and very dominant running game in Chicago. Mostly the mental maturity/disorder issue though.Dez Bryant, head case thing, I wonder if a lot of long-time FF find themselves playing the risks or steering clear over time? Been burned a time or two, so I am staying away from guys like this for the most part.Steven Jackson, I am an absolute fan of this person and player, but he has carried this team for years. On a different team, he would be spoken of like Eric Dickerson. The sad line play and diminished passing game during Bulger's last season and the WR problems last year made it very difficult for SJax. Back surgery last year... Will probably have a few great games and some that are clear struggles.Jordy Nelson is a class player, will he definitely get more than Finley, Jennings, and Jones (yes, I said Jones)? I see Jones eating into his targets more than most do, but he is still a great pick here. I just would be hesitant given all the competition on the field for targets. Don't forget, Driver and Cobb. Lots of talent.Jamaal Charles, haven't seen updates to his condition, and the addition of Hillis (granted, likely to take TJ's role primarily but he is also an excellent receiving back), as well as all the passing targets in KC game now. Not sure we are going to see he meet this and be a reliable RB1 for Shadowfax. Same as AD, worry about the first month.Doug Martin, same as Richardson relative to being a rookie. TB is a much better team opportunity, but there is Blount (yes, headcase) and Smith. Passing game really seems to be developing down there as well.None of these are rank amateur picks, just ones I would not have made at those spots.
First off, I love commentary like this. That's what makes these drafts great as we start to form our own opinions of each player as we approach another NFL season.I agree with most of what you said, but I wanted to address the one pick you pointed out that was mine - Jordy Nelson. The guy had 15 TDs last year, which is ridiculous. 68 catches on 95 targets (4 fewer than Greg Jennings) with Rodgers barely topping 502 (and Flynn adding 49). I fully expect him NOT to get 15 touchdowns again, but even if he gets only 1/2 (rounding up to 8) only 17 NFL WRs had 8 or more TDs last year. TDs are big in leagues like this as in best ball, a TD catch is worth at least 7.1 points. Odds are a TD catch in a week means that WR will count for you. I'll take the gamble that Nelson counts 10+ times for my team as my WR2 and I'd take him as WR14 off the board 10 times out of 10.

'Jeff Pasquino said:
'Yellow Line is Unoffcial said:
Really liking things so far.1.08 Ryan Mathews If (and I know it's a big if) he stays healthy, I think he is a top three back.2.09 Trent Richardson A three down back as my #2, thank you, may I have another?3.08 Aaron Hernandez I would have taken him at 2.09 if Richardson was gone, a no brainer.4.09 Peyton Manning I need a QB or WR here looks like QBs might run and I didn't like what I might get at 5.08 If I wait I'd have to take QBs at 5.08 and 6.09 and they still might suck. Stung a little missing Romo by one pick, but I'll take Peyton here.
I personally thought Mathews at 1.08 is a bit early, and with 20/20 hindsight a WR1 there would have been a better pick IMHO. Decent values throughout, but have to wonder how the total WR by committee approach will serve you.Also some concerns on Peyton's health, as we're not out of the woods there at all.
I strongly considered Matthews at 1.5. Most years we have a new back in the top 1/2, Matthews is a great candidate.

'Jeff Pasquino said:
I strongly considered Matthews at 1.5. Most years we have a new back in the top 1/2, Matthews is a great candidate.
Sure he COULD be there, but at 1.05? That'd be a reach no matter how you slice it.1.05 would likely be the peak of his upside. Unless Foster, Ray Rice or McCoy get banged up I don't see any RB topping those 3 in PPR leagues this year. Add in Calvin and Rodgers and I don't see Mathews as a legit Top 5 draft pick option, especially in 16 team leagues with TE favorable scoring.Now, I can see a case where you could sell me on Mathews as a Top 5-7 RB candidate in PPR. Who else runs it? Rivers can't throw TDs all day long, and Mathews should get most of what Tolbert stole from him last year. However there are a few more receiving options for SD aside from the tailback.Round 1? Ok. Top 5? Don't think so.

If rostering WR was optional, I would be feeling pretty good about the team right now. I see some teams that look better, and a couple picks that I would not have taken. Not to disrespect anyone, I will list them for discussion purposes. Feel free to pick apart my picks if you wish. I list them as of round four for your convenience:QB Matt Ryan (4)RB LeSean McCoy (1)TE Vernon Davis (2)RB Demarco Murray (3)In a nutshell, McCoy and Murray both very involved in passing game and the feature backs of fairly explosive offenses. Davis, many targets, red zone opportunities. Ryan, dependable with running game taking less of a role and Julio should hit stride this year. Wish they would have picked up a young TE.Picks I didn't likeRyan Matthews, not over MJD or Johnson. injury history mostly, but with Tolbert gone, he should see the field a lot. Productive while healthy. Probably would prefer Newton as well to this pick.MJD and Adrian Peterson - do you skip on talent like this? MJD has a lot of miles on him, still playing for the Jags, and didn't he hold out of pre-season training because of knee surgery or injury? AD's injury concerns me too, especially with limited offensive weapons for the Vikings. Perhaps Kalil will aid in the line, but I do worry that he won't be the same this season or at least the first part. Would be a shame to be booted because a round one pick needed six weeks to get back to form. I would have skipped on them, too much risk for the first round. DMac, Murray, hearing good things now, so little worry about this fall. Welker, every year I am amazed that there are enough passes to spread around that offense. Only Brady and Peyton could make so many so productive (as opposed to Travis Henry who made so many so reproductive). I would take him around WR10, but I am an overanalyzer.Trent Richardson - rookie, playing in Cleveland, not sure of his pass blocking skills or receiving ability at this level, not sure if there will be a qb controversy. Heck, he could get staph infection there. Just too high for him. Talent and lack of competition (meaning opportunity) with so-so surrounding cast not a great bet. He'll probably be a stud but I don't see it there. If he had gone to a different team, but Cleveland.Sproles, NO is possibly going to be a mess with the scandal gate or whatever they are calling it. That kind of thing was going on in Division III ball when I played in the late 80s. Probably started during the second half of the first game of the sport. Not condoning it at all, as it can destroy a person's health, career, life even. Sproles way outperformed everyone's expectations last year, being used the way he plays best. However, there are still four good to great RBs, a dominant air game, and a hampered defense. I am going to bump all NO players down a touch. Except for Graham, he is PPR gold.Brandon Marshall, just a personal thing, realize he has a personality disorder, but new team, less than great performance last year, and very dominant running game in Chicago. Mostly the mental maturity/disorder issue though.Dez Bryant, head case thing, I wonder if a lot of long-time FF find themselves playing the risks or steering clear over time? Been burned a time or two, so I am staying away from guys like this for the most part.Steven Jackson, I am an absolute fan of this person and player, but he has carried this team for years. On a different team, he would be spoken of like Eric Dickerson. The sad line play and diminished passing game during Bulger's last season and the WR problems last year made it very difficult for SJax. Back surgery last year... Will probably have a few great games and some that are clear struggles.Jordy Nelson is a class player, will he definitely get more than Finley, Jennings, and Jones (yes, I said Jones)? I see Jones eating into his targets more than most do, but he is still a great pick here. I just would be hesitant given all the competition on the field for targets. Don't forget, Driver and Cobb. Lots of talent.Jamaal Charles, haven't seen updates to his condition, and the addition of Hillis (granted, likely to take TJ's role primarily but he is also an excellent receiving back), as well as all the passing targets in KC game now. Not sure we are going to see he meet this and be a reliable RB1 for Shadowfax. Same as AD, worry about the first month.Doug Martin, same as Richardson relative to being a rookie. TB is a much better team opportunity, but there is Blount (yes, headcase) and Smith. Passing game really seems to be developing down there as well.None of these are rank amateur picks, just ones I would not have made at those spots.
First off, I love commentary like this. That's what makes these drafts great as we start to form our own opinions of each player as we approach another NFL season.I agree with most of what you said, but I wanted to address the one pick you pointed out that was mine - Jordy Nelson. The guy had 15 TDs last year, which is ridiculous. 68 catches on 95 targets (4 fewer than Greg Jennings) with Rodgers barely topping 502 (and Flynn adding 49). I fully expect him NOT to get 15 touchdowns again, but even if he gets only 1/2 (rounding up to 8) only 17 NFL WRs had 8 or more TDs last year. TDs are big in leagues like this as in best ball, a TD catch is worth at least 7.1 points. Odds are a TD catch in a week means that WR will count for you. I'll take the gamble that Nelson counts 10+ times for my team as my WR2 and I'd take him as WR14 off the board 10 times out of 10.
Good posts,James Jones? clearly he is 4th on the target list and really has a hard time beating out Donald Driver in 3WR sets. Jordy is infront of Finley to me as well. Finley is a great athelete and a mismatch but has terrible hands. IMO the wheels are about to come off MJD, Ill be taking Ryan Mathews over him in every single league I can. One day the wheels will come off, and predicting exactly which year is tricky, but dont be the guy who takes Shaun Alexander at pick #4 and you get nothing from that pick.While I agree the elite QBs should go before Mathews, IMO he should be no worse than RB6 off the board in any league

'Jeff Pasquino said:
Sure he COULD be there, but at 1.05? That'd be a reach no matter how you slice it.1.05 would likely be the peak of his upside. Unless Foster, Ray Rice or McCoy get banged up I don't see any RB topping those 3 in PPR leagues this year. Add in Calvin and Rodgers and I don't see Mathews as a legit Top 5 draft pick option, especially in 16 team leagues with TE favorable scoring.Now, I can see a case where you could sell me on Mathews as a Top 5-7 RB candidate in PPR. Who else runs it? Rivers can't throw TDs all day long, and Mathews should get most of what Tolbert stole from him last year. However there are a few more receiving options for SD aside from the tailback.Round 1? Ok. Top 5? Don't think so.
Remember 2006/2007 in San Diego. I'm just getting that type of feel about Matthews with Tolbert gone. Last year Matthews/Tolbert combined for 2471 yards, 16 TDs, and 104 recpts. Give him just 75% of that production (and I think the TDs are light there) and you have 333 points which is in the elite category.Matthews plus the average rd4 QB > Rodgers and the average rd4 RB.The reason I didn't take him is that his bye matches players I was/am targetting in rds 2-5.

'Jeff Pasquino said:
Remember 2006/2007 in San Diego. I'm just getting that type of feel about Matthews with Tolbert gone. Last year Matthews/Tolbert combined for 2471 yards, 16 TDs, and 104 recpts. Give him just 75% of that production (and I think the TDs are light there) and you have 333 points which is in the elite category.Matthews plus the average rd4 QB > Rodgers and the average rd4 RB.The reason I didn't take him is that his bye matches players I was/am targetting in rds 2-5.
Good comments. I think the truth likely is in between (RB3 and RB10 or so). I'll likely bump up Mathews some next time I look at my rankings. :thumbup:

In these kinds of drafts, I find that the picks in round 5-8, maybe through round 12, are the most interesting. First three, four rounds are pretty much automatic. Sixteen team league is about as big as it can get to ensure good picks for all starters, so these rounds are the #2 RB and WR, or #1 if someone doubled up on a position.

In round five, thus far, some interesting values, and picks that may go both ways for the team's need respectively.

Nit picked Jonathon Stewart, who will be sharing the backfield with DWill, and now Tolbert. He hasn't been a real pass catching phenom, and Cam Newton has shown himself to be a strong passer and runner. Carolina seems to be moving from the run heavy offense, making this more so-so than the ability of this player possesses. He just won't get the opportunity. 2 RB and 3WR at this point, seems one of the remaining strong TE would have been wiser, or one of the more solid QB. Of course, there were a couple RB who will likely score higher in this format.

Dom grabbed Desean, a good value. He has a fairly good team, I am just not a believer in Schaub. Without AJ and Foster, he would not raise the talent, instead he seems to ride it.

ACP picked Antonio Brown who I am only aware of through reports, having not watched him. I don't have the NFL package and the programmers don't have the Steelers on too often. Ward retiring and Wallace taking the brunt of the coverage should give him opportunity. This is a really good team, but I wonder if Gonzo will finally feel the turning of the calendar. He is a warrior, takes care of himself physically, is prepared, but getting older. Hate to say it, but this is probably the weak point for ACP.

Legacy could have a real challenger team. If Cutler can get out of Marshall what he did in Denver, this is a very very strong team. The RBs are not super strong in non-ppr, but for this format, great pickups. Not necessarily how I would have gone, but I see the strategy. Spiller will play like a flanker, getting a lot of points, and having a chance to be on field even when Jackson is. This is a nicely balanced team.

I had to go WR at this point, being my first and the 26th of the draft. Lloyd is a very gifted receiver, and Brady will use him, but the success of the TEs, Welker's presence, and Lloyd's age have me a bit concerned. I was considering between him and Demaryius. The pending case against him had me concerned he might be suspended by the NFL if the civil jury finds him guilty. I have those two and Bowe about equal, just as an fyi. This balances my team better, but I will need a strong WR2.

AR apparently has a Jackson fetish for running backs. Fred Jackson has produced well, and has a different role from Spiller for right now. Bills offense is finally, well, present. This is a good pick, and again, a very good and well balanced team. This is a great draft so far.

Jeff Eglz (wasn't that the old moniker?), solid pick, and Bush should be used less as the between the middle back with Thomas healthy and the back they drafted. Don't see the passing game improving in Miami, so he should get five passes per game on average I would think. I am guessing between 8-11 TDs, with 880 rushing/580 receiving. Of course, if Thomas and Miller (that was his name) produce, this could become a RBBC, cutting into Bush's rushing yards.

Yellow fellow paired Peyton Manning with Demaryius. Never wrong to go with Peyton's #1 WR, though this will be a bye week issue. As I mentioned, his court deal (civil relating to a sexual assault by another player but his testimony got him off, not in that way), and the comment about Tebow not being missed makes me wonder if his attitude should be questioned? We know Peyton has no respect for idiot kickers or head cases. Will look forward to the reports out of Broncos camp this fall.

By the way, why are there six teams on bye week 7 but only two on week 4? Kinda a fantasy football issue, but really, what is that about?

All in all, everyone is balanced, picking well, and no serious flubs this round so far.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see McCoy and Rice as better than Mathews. The only difference to me is durability.
I could not agree anymore with this statement. When discussing Mathews the durability is no small thing and that's an issue but it's the only issue keeping him from being my 1st-3rd ranked RB instead of somewhere around RB 4-6.It's really not a stretch to think if his health holds up he could be the best RB in fantasy football this year. He's talented, no comp, catches passes, and Norv knows how to get production from his RB's. Foster might see Tate worked in more often, Vick is going to score more than one TD and that's probably going to come at the expense of McCoy's total and Rice is a smaller type back who has had has averaged a hefty 400 touches a year over the last 3 years.Also I like the approach Yellow took with his team so I thought he did the right thing passing on a QB. 3 down RB's are the most difficult thing to come by, he got two of them. I view elite level TE's as thinner than elite level QB's and he got one of them. He waited and still ended up with a guy whose has been an elite level QB almost his entire career and can be again. An one more thing on Peyton, he's either going to shock the world and retire in pre-season due to his neck or he's playing the entire 16 games. There is not in between here. A Manning missed a season, but a Manning does not miss a game. Than after filling in RB, TE, and QB he he still lands a player I view as a WR1 this season in D. Thomas. If there is any negative to his team it's that he's accumulated 5 guys who all dealt with some type of injury last year that required multiple missed games or surgery and 3 of those players have missed multiple games every year they have been in the NFL and a 4th missed the entire season. So durability is an issue but so far that's about it.BTW-love the comments and opinions in this thread.

The same thing happened in SSL1, so this isn't a shot just at you norseman.

But I think you people taking Isaac Redman in the 6th round are crazy.

I almost took Mathews over Brady in round 1. He deserves to go that high with Tolbert and Vincent Jackson no longer around. Just need him to stay healthy but he has huge upside this year.

my roster:

QB-Brady

RB-S.Jackson

RB-F.Jackson

WR-G.Jennings

WR-P.Harvin

feels stacked to me, but only takes one bad week or an injury to cripple it.

not sure how anyone can knock taking Steven Jackson in round 3. He was a top-10 RB in this format last year. I don't consider Isaiah Pead a threat to steal meaningful carries from him, and I have to assume the offense will rely on a sound ground game with Jeff Fisher taking over.

Fred Jackson in the 5th, and after Spiller, is robbery plain and simple. Harvin in the 4th was also a steal.

One-third of the way....

1.07 Jeff Pasquino - Jimmy Graham - TE1 - NO

2.10 Jeff Pasquino - Roddy White - WR6 - ATL

3.07 Jeff Pasquino - Jordy Nelson - WR14 - GB

4.10 Jeff Pasquino - Ben Roethlisberger - QB11 - PIT

5.07 Jeff Pasquino - Reggie Bush - RB22 - MIA

6.10 Jeff Pasquino - Mark Ingram - RB32 - NO

that was a Little RB run we had at the 5/6 turn.

I doubt Decker would of lasted through the turn too, not too happy with the Willis selection but my hand felt forced to get a RB2. And if I know one thing about John Fox, he will play the Vet even with a rookie in tow

I almost took Mathews over Brady in round 1. He deserves to go that high with Tolbert and Vincent Jackson no longer around. Just need him to stay healthy but he has huge upside this year.my roster:QB-BradyRB-S.JacksonRB-F.JacksonWR-G.JenningsWR-P.Harvinfeels stacked to me, but only takes one bad week or an injury to cripple it.not sure how anyone can knock taking Steven Jackson in round 3. He was a top-10 RB in this format last year. I don't consider Isaiah Pead a threat to steal meaningful carries from him, and I have to assume the offense will rely on a sound ground game with Jeff Fisher taking over.Fred Jackson in the 5th, and after Spiller, is robbery plain and simple. Harvin in the 4th was also a steal.
Aaron you seem pretty confident that Fjax is the guy to own in Buffalo huh. Beetween this selection and your SP posts.

I almost took Mathews over Brady in round 1. He deserves to go that high with Tolbert and Vincent Jackson no longer around. Just need him to stay healthy but he has huge upside this year.my roster:QB-BradyRB-S.JacksonRB-F.JacksonWR-G.JenningsWR-P.Harvinfeels stacked to me, but only takes one bad week or an injury to cripple it.not sure how anyone can knock taking Steven Jackson in round 3. He was a top-10 RB in this format last year. I don't consider Isaiah Pead a threat to steal meaningful carries from him, and I have to assume the offense will rely on a sound ground game with Jeff Fisher taking over.Fred Jackson in the 5th, and after Spiller, is robbery plain and simple. Harvin in the 4th was also a steal.
Aaron you seem pretty confident that Fjax is the guy to own in Buffalo huh. Beetween this selection and your SP posts.
Money often talks, and you have to appreciate a RB who gets an extension, especially in the RBBC era.Spiller certainly has more value in PPR leagues as both could be on the field at once.I am interested to hear Ruds' opinion though.

did you guys not watch what Fred Jackson did last year? It's pretty simple really. He's the heart and soul of that team. Spiller looked good at times after Jackson went down and he'll get more work, but Jackson is still going to be the man.

Money often talks, and you have to appreciate a RB who gets an extension, especially in the RBBC era.Spiller certainly has more value in PPR leagues as both could be on the field at once.I am interested to hear Ruds' opinion though.
Even with the extension of Fjax, IIRC, he is getting 4 million per. And Spillers deal is more expensive based on the pre-lockout rookie deal. IIRC his deal is at about 5 mill per. Regardless it will reek of RBBC with both guys getting carries IMO. Freddy Jax certainly looked special pre-leg break. I have been a fan of Spiller since his college days.It looked like something clicked with CJ when he got his opportunity to carry the rock.

did you guys not watch what Fred Jackson did last year? It's pretty simple really. He's the heart and soul of that team. Spiller looked good at times after Jackson went down and he'll get more work, but Jackson is still going to be the man.
I'm with you here, I just wanted to hear from you as a Bills fan that you saw what I saw.I have FJax worth much more than Spiller in all formats, with only PPR closing the gap some - but CJ is < FJax.

I just don't understand the drafting of the top two Carolina backs and it's not something I'm just seeing in this league but in all leagues. What are people hoping for here? If you want upside it's not here, they played 32 games last year and had one 20 point fantasy game between them and that was before they added Tolbert. Meanwhile in exactly half their games they scored single digits. When Stewart was taken there was a ton of good RB's left. It slimmed down by the time DWILL went but I still thought there were a lot better options left.

On Fred Jackson. I'd say it was solid value where he went but I'd rather have had Reggie Bush who went a pick later or Helu or I got almost a round later.

Not sure why Jeff thinks Ingram is a steal if healthy. I think Reggie in the 5th is the pick you should have been excited about. If Ingram is healthy he joins the 3 man RBBC and similar to the Carolina backs offers you limited upside with more single digit games than double digit games.

Ok, here's my team so far.

QB-Vick

RB-Chris Johnson

Ahmad Bradshaw

Roy Helu

WR-Reggie Wayne

TE- Gates

Had planned on going WR-WR at the 5-6 turn but did not like what was left in the 6th and thought Helu was simply to valuable to not pick. I trust I can fill out my WR's later with some parts usable and some parts high upside guys but I don't really worry about filling out positions so much. If you find yourself weak at a position instead of reaching I'd rather make another position strong like I did at RB with 3 guys who can all easily be RB1's. Have enough firepower and you can hide a under-producing spot or two.

On Fred Jackson. I'd say it was solid value where he went but I'd rather have had Reggie Bush who went a pick later or Helu or I got almost a round later.
Reggie Bush? Really?Fred Jackson averaged about 21 points/game last year. Reggie Bush averaged 14.The Dolphins offense lost Brandon Marshall, changed coaching staffs, and may turn to a rookie QB with about 15 college starts at some point midseason. They also have Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller there to compete for touches.The Bills meanwhile made huge upgrades on defense in addition to adding a monster offensive tackle in the 2nd round of the draft. They also return the same QB, coaches, and offensive system that Jackson excelled in a year ago. Spiller is a threat, but he seems much better to play the change of pace role and will often line up as a WR.Helu certainly has upside but you're also dealing with a rookie QB who can run a bit. That didn't work out so well for the backs in Carolina last year. Not to mention the Shanahan factor.

Reggie Bush? Really?Fred Jackson averaged about 21 points/game last year. Reggie Bush averaged 14.The Dolphins offense lost Brandon Marshall, changed coaching staffs, and may turn to a rookie QB with about 15 college starts at some point midseason. They also have Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller there to compete for touches.The Bills meanwhile made huge upgradon defense in addition to adding a monster offensive tackle in the 2nd round of the draft. They also return the same QB, coaches, and offensive system that Jackson excelled in a year ago. Spiller is a threat, but he seems much better to play the change of pace role and will often line up as a WR.Helu certainly has upside but you're also dealing with a rookie QB who can run a bit. That didn't work out so well for the backs in Carolina last year. Not to mention the Shanahan factor.
I understand the jubilation at the FJax pick, but in a PPR league I really am thrilled to have Reggie Bush.The Dolphins are talking about using him as a receiver much more this year, which should only improve on his numbers. Plus they're apparently not sold on the rest of their backfield. Adding to that is the fact that they did not add a WR in the draft and their top guys are "meh" so you have to like Bush as a receiver and RB this year.

I considered Reggie in this draft and others. He's definitely not a bad pick. I'd just be very surprised if he outproduces Fred Jackson this year.

He's going to be a focal point for defenses for sure.

Not sure why Jeff thinks Ingram is a steal if healthy. I think Reggie in the 5th is the pick you should have been excited about. If Ingram is healthy he joins the 3 man RBBC and similar to the Carolina backs offers you limited upside with more single digit games than double digit games.
I think the Saints will be more inclined to run this year, and Ingram will be the Bell Cow. I like Sproles but he's the 3rd down back who catches plenty of passes on wheel routes, but that offense is potent. The Saints scored 59 touchdowns last year but only 14 on the ground. I have to think that they'd like to be a little more balanced and their true feature RB who was selected in Round 1 last year would be the weapon of choice in the Red Zone - an area they tend to frequent. Ingram had just five of those but he played in only 10 games. I think 1,200 rushing and 1,400 total yards and 10 TDs are attainable numbers if he takes on most of the rushing workload (the Saints rushed for over 2,000 yards as a team, even with Brees throwing for almost 5,500 yards).

I considered Reggie in this draft and others. He's definitely not a bad pick. I'd just be very surprised if he outproduces Fred Jackson this year.He's going to be a focal point for defenses for sure.
I think it'll be close. Bush will get more targets, and I think FJax fewer in their respective passing games. Both are solid picks and I would have likely taken FJax over Bush.

Reggie Bush? Really?Fred Jackson averaged about 21 points/game last year. Reggie Bush averaged 14.The Dolphins offense lost Brandon Marshall, changed coaching staffs, and may turn to a rookie QB with about 15 college starts at some point midseason. They also have Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller there to compete for touches.The Bills meanwhile made huge upgrades on defense in addition to adding a monster offensive tackle in the 2nd round of the draft. They also return the same QB, coaches, and offensive system that Jackson excelled in a year ago. Spiller is a threat, but he seems much better to play the change of pace role and will often line up as a WR.
Yea, I'd rather have Reggie and not really something I'd spend a lot of time mulling over. Lot changed since last year. Mainly Spiller emerged. Spiller won't equal Fred's touches but he's a lot more than just a change of pace back and he'll significantly eat into Fred's touches. When you have a back like Spiller and view yourself as a legit playoff contender I think it only makes sense to utilize CJ and keep your 31 year old lead runner fresh for the end of the season.Meanwhile Reggie broke out as a runner and was sorely misused as a receiver. Yea he averaged just a shade under 15 fantasy points per game but he also closed the year running for over 500 yards in his last 4 games and was under utilized to start the season. I view the new coaching staff and the loss of Marshall as benefits to him because the new coaching staff has already said they have big plans for him catching the ball. He's not only the best RB on the team he's the best WR on the team. His receptions are going to spike dramatically. Reggie entered the league as a dual threat but was really only effective catching passes. Last year he broke out as a runner but was marginal as a receiver. This is the year he puts it all together. Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller are not threats, they are guys who will however need to be used to give Reggie a breather because I think the Dolphins are about to give Reggie a massive workload next year because he is far and away the best weapon they have on offense.

I have doubts that Reggie will be able to handle that type of workload with defenses keying on him on every play. Receptions will be there but touchdowns probably won't be.

I have doubts that Reggie will be able to handle that type of workload with defenses keying on him on every play. Receptions will be there but touchdowns probably won't be.
I tended to think so as well, but he did score 7 last year (6 rushing) and 3 of those were 5 yards or less, including two 1-yard runs.So yeah, he's not a goal line beast for sure, but he gets his points and several TDs. I could see him getting 10 scores if they give him closer to 300 touches - but that is a lot. Something more like 1,500 total yards with 500 or so as a receiver and about 8 scores sounds about right.

I think the Saints will be more inclined to run this year, and Ingram will be the Bell Cow. I like Sproles but he's the 3rd down back who catches plenty of passes on wheel routes, but that offense is potent. The Saints scored 59 touchdowns last year but only 14 on the ground. I have to think that they'd like to be a little more balanced and their true feature RB who was selected in Round 1 last year would be the weapon of choice in the Red Zone - an area they tend to frequent. Ingram had just five of those but he played in only 10 games. I think 1,200 rushing and 1,400 total yards and 10 TDs are attainable numbers if he takes on most of the rushing workload (the Saints rushed for over 2,000 yards as a team, even with Brees throwing for almost 5,500 yards).
Honestly I think your projections are wildly off. I spent a lot of time around this time last year running out of breath telling people Ingram was not going to be a bell cow back, that's not the system they use. I felt that way when I thought Ingram was really good and Sproles had not established a major role.Now we saw Ingram and we saw he was not used as a bell cow RB last year. We also saw a player that did not give me any reason to think the team would push to make him a bell cow RB.Besides Sproles breakout and PT's solid play Ingram looked a step slow to me. Being perfectly honest here I thought Ivory looked like the more explosive back. IMO Ingram is solid in all facets of the game but not great in anything and I don't think he's the best on this team at anything. I think he trails PT and Sproles in the passing game and he's not as good a power back as Ivory. Now I think Ivory is going to be inactive weeks all 3 backs are healthy so I do finger Ingram for the GL job but I see that as his major role and a player you are going to need to score a TD to make it to double digits fantasy points. This to me makes him a solid pick so not knocking the pick but don't see the reason for the excitement. I'd also add I only see it as a solid pick in this format that does not require submission of a starting lineup. As an example I've got Ingram on a dynasty team of mine and barring attrition to the Saint's RB corps I don't view him as anyone I'd ever feel solid about putting into my starting lineup.And oh, this is all assuming he actually can get past his knee issues.

with a whole new regime in Miami we have no idea what the pecking order will be there.

Also I agree with Meno, the Carolina backs are very over drafted, however I expect Cams rushing TD to decline, and Stewart always goes befoer Deangelo now? Why?

As far as the Saints RB situation goes, without payton, who knows how the interim coach in the first 6 games will call plays, not to mention what will happen when Vitt comes back in. Ingram could get a bigger share for sure, but he is injury prone as of now

I don't really disagree with that but he only had 6 rushing TD's last year so there is not a tremendous room for a large drop off but if I was the Dolphins I would certainly try to use someone else as the GL back instead of Reggie. Receptions really are the key here. Despite last year being his "breakout" year it was only his 4th best season for fantasy points per games played.

bottom line for me is that Fred has now shown he can perform like an elite fantasy RB so he has top-5 upside and should be a low-end RB1 at least. I don't get that feeling from Reggie Bush at all. He's a solid RB2 but has limited upside.

maybe I'm underestimating Spiller but he did his damage when Fred was out of the lineup. I just don't think he's in Fred's league as a runner yet.

Users who are viewing this thread