What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL4 - Comments (1 Viewer)

Well it felt weird taking a QB at 2 but since we can't trade down I didn't feel like missing out on the top guys. Seeing Newton, Brees, and Brady go quickly after makes me feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it felt weird taking a QB at 2 but since we can't trade down I didn't feel like missing out on the top guys. Seeing Newton, Brees, and Brady go quickly after makes me feel better.
On the flipside, I grabbed Calvin and felt fine, but 11 picks in and only one WR taken, I am beginning to feel like the guy who took a kicker in round 7... :unsure:

Really surprised that Cam Newton was QB 2
I have a feeling he will be the most polarizing player in 2012 redrafts...some will see him (regardless of scoring) as a round 1-2 guy, others would let him drop to round 5 (not that it would ever happen).

I probably should have went with Calvin at 1.05, and maybe it's because I've never played in a league of this type before...but double points for TE receptions seems like it would really benefit the people who have the dominant tight ends.

MOP really drew a bad draft spot for his likings. I hope he's right on Steve Smith, but definately the highest he's gone this year.

MOP really drew a bad draft spot for his likings. I hope he's right on Steve Smith, but definately the highest he's gone this year.
No doubt but no crying in the beer just yet. 1/2 turn...QB: Matt Stafford is fool's gold in the 1st IMO...sorry to the dude who gobbled him up right after me. I'm not knocking you taking him, just not what I wanted. The only QB I would consider in the 1st was Tom Brady and he was long gone so I'll wait. RB: Ryan Mathews fell a bit in our draft but I would not have taken him. I just can't trust ADP with the ACL tear, McFadden had a turrible injury as well, just would rather someone else take the risk. I know Richardson is early but if you like the talent you have to take him wherever you can, he would likely be gone when I pick again and I have seen some of the picks for guys who waited on RB until the 6th round and I just can't build a solid foundation without an anchor at RB. Richardson will be ridden like Seabiscuit with the Browns and he is a dual threat. WR: Names that I don't want to mention because they are still on the board but I was looking for a WR1 who had no threat for targets. Smith should do very well with Cam in year 2 and has already shown a knack for having explosive games, I expect a big season for him and while he might not be top3/top5, he is almost a lock for top10 if he stays healthy. I'm not trying to win games weekly, just stay off the bottom, Smith can cover 2 slots at WR some weeks so I'm fine with the pick even if some believe a few more names should have come off the board first. I'm trying to build a team with a mix of consistency and also some pop. I gambled a bit on Richardson so I wanted to make sure I had a security blanket at the WR1 spot. TE: Not at this spot. I like the pairing of Richardson with Smith to start things off. Also this is my first draft of any kind since Sept of last year...not rusty by any stretch but I found it really eye opening looking at the drafts. In fact I was blown away by some of the picks. I realize last year's stats typically rule but I see so many folks just looking at last year's stats and assuming they will hold again this season. Just an observation from someone who honestly has not been keeping up with the WSL, PDSL, just shocking where some of these guys are landing. I'm just going thru and finding the guys I want and the where they are drafted so I can see if I need to reach or not. 14/15/16 slots are rough.

why is stafford fools gold? the only thing that will stop him from being a top5 QB again is injury. The passing game is loaded up, the running game stinks and so does the defense

why is stafford fools gold? the only thing that will stop him from being a top5 QB again is injury. The passing game is loaded up, the running game stinks and so does the defense
I am in agreement with MOP here. This isn't to say Stafford is fools gold, just where he is going in redrafts as QB3-6. He has a longer NFL history of injuries than he does staying healthy. Me personally, I would like to see a longer history of health before taking him that high.

That lack of a running game is going to catch up to them. I covered Stafford a couple times last year on the recaps, watched him quite a bit. He had some eye popping stats but he is not the "NFL Qb" that some think he is. The coaching staff was not chucking the ball everywhere early in games early in the season. I don't have anything against Stafford, just don't feel he is a top5 NFL QB just yet. He is a candidate IMO for a drop in 2012 vs 2011.

That lack of a running game is going to catch up to them. I covered Stafford a couple times last year on the recaps, watched him quite a bit. He had some eye popping stats but he is not the "NFL Qb" that some think he is. The coaching staff was not chucking the ball everywhere early in games early in the season. I don't have anything against Stafford, just don't feel he is a top5 NFL QB just yet. He is a candidate IMO for a drop in 2012 vs 2011.
5038 Yards, 41 TDs but not an NFL QB that some think he is? I'm sorry do QBs throw for 5000 yards everyday?

well yeah the guy had 5000 yards passing, its happened like what 5 times in league history, of course he will regress some.His biggest injury issue was a shoulder, that was surgically repaired by Dr. James Andrews and he just lasted a whole season. Im thinking if he had the surgery after his rookie year he would of been fine then. And I dont really care if he is a Top5 NFL QB, Im going purely on stats here for FFL purposes.

well yeah the guy had 5000 yards passing, its happened like what 5 times in league history, of course he will regress some.His biggest injury issue was a shoulder, that was surgically repaired by Dr. James Andrews and he just lasted a whole season. Im thinking if he had the surgery after his rookie year he would of been fine then. And I dont really care if he is a Top5 NFL QB, Im going purely on stats here for FFL purposes.
:yes:

5038 Yards, 41 TDs but not an NFL QB that some think he is? I'm sorry do QBs throw for 5000 yards everyday?
There are other measurements of a QB over just raw stats. If you think Staff will toss 5000/40+ TD again...how many times in the next 5 years will he clear those numbers? I'll take a prop bet on that. I'm not trying to start an i-fight over this, if you love the guy more power to you, just don't think he is elite in the same way Brady is or a few others. I'll take the under on 5,000 + 40TD...any takers?

There are other measurements of a QB over just raw stats. If you think Staff will toss 5000/40+ TD again...how many times in the next 5 years will he clear those numbers? I'll take a prop bet on that. I'm not trying to start an i-fight over this, if you love the guy more power to you, just don't think he is elite in the same way Brady is or a few others. I'll take the under on 5,000 + 40TD...any takers?
Well the Panthers aren't on the schedule this year so you can drop those stats by 10% right off the bat.

He gets to throw to Calvin Johnson. That pretty much makes him a top 5 FF QB if healthy. Yes he has an injury history but the upside outweighs the risk to me as having the beast Megatron will keep Stafford from regressing too far

I am in agreement with MOP here. This isn't to say Stafford is fools gold, just where he is going in redrafts as QB3-6. He has a longer NFL history of injuries than he does staying healthy. Me personally, I would like to see a longer history of health before taking him that high.
:confused:

'Go Pack said:
He gets to throw to Calvin Johnson. That pretty much makes him a top 5 FF QB if healthy. Yes he has an injury history but the upside outweighs the risk to me as having the beast Megatron will keep Stafford from regressing too far
GP, I hope you weren't offended, you did take him at the 2.03 and that was the latest he went in any of the 4 leagues I believe, so from that POV you got better value than anyone. I'm sure you were mildly shocked when I didn't take him at the 2.02Hope it works out for you Pack.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'Phenix said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
No I wont, but how many will ever do that? that is rare indeed, but you are acting like he will not be a high performer, he does not have to hit those numbers to have the same value. Horrible argument really, Tom brady never threw 50 TDs since his last time, but he still has the same monster value.Sorry MoP your argument is a :fishing: one at best.

'Go Pack said:
GP, I hope you weren't offended, you did take him at the 2.03 and that was the latest he went in any of the 4 leagues I believe, so from that POV you got better value than anyone. I'm sure you were mildly shocked when I didn't take him at the 2.02Hope it works out for you Pack.
Not offended at all. I don't disagree that Stafford is probably not top 5 QB talent but he is certainly well above average and gets to throw to the best WR in the league with some other solid guys as well so I think his FF value is very high. He also plays the Packers twice who I really hope have a much improved defense this year but they did set a record for passing yards allowed in a season last year. That has no impact on why I picked him, but it does not hurt.I gambled on him in several leagues last year and he paid off. Hopefully he does not turn back into glass this year.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'Phenix said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
No I wont, but how many will ever do that? that is rare indeed, but you are acting like he will not be a high performer, he does not have to hit those numbers to have the same value. Horrible argument really, Tom brady never threw 50 TDs since his last time, but he still has the same monster value.Sorry MoP your argument is a :fishing: one at best.
Sorry you feel that way, certainly far from true. If I wanted Staff I would have drafted him, this wasn't sour grapes so I don't really understand why you popped out the fishing expedition but nevertheless good luck the rest of the way.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'Phenix said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
Sorry you feel that way, certainly far from true. If I wanted Staff I would have drafted him, this wasn't sour grapes so I don't really understand why you popped out the fishing expedition but nevertheless good luck the rest of the way.
Huh? You must of replied to wrong quote.

'Go Pack said:
Not offended at all. I don't disagree that Stafford is probably not top 5 QB talent but he is certainly well above average and gets to throw to the best WR in the league with some other solid guys as well so I think his FF value is very high. He also plays the Packers twice who I really hope have a much improved defense this year but they did set a record for passing yards allowed in a season last year. That has no impact on why I picked him, but it does not hurt.I gambled on him in several leagues last year and he paid off. Hopefully he does not turn back into glass this year.
Stafford helped me win one of the Survivors last year. I think I got him in round 6, but I think that he is worth a round 2 pick this year after last years performance. :thumbup:

'Go Pack said:
Stafford helped me win one of the Survivors last year. I think I got him in round 6, but I think that he is worth a round 2 pick this year after last years performance. :thumbup:
I rode him to a top 10 in the $25K contest...although Graham didn't hurt either.

Good pace the last 24 hours...we are about to catch SSL3.

Sorry for the delay, but struggled with my pick a bit.

This is SSL4 for a reason, we all suck. That said, the pace we are on is fantastic and just looking at the name here, mostly vets of the SSL drafts, nice job everyone. We could be almost done in a week at this pace.

This is SSL4 for a reason, we all suck. That said, the pace we are on is fantastic and just looking at the name here, mostly vets of the SSL drafts, nice job everyone. We could be almost done in a week at this pace.
Hey!!! This is my first year in SSL and I haven't proven how much I suck yet. I do enjoy the pace though.

BSS has my cell and can prompt me when I am up.
Since no one would be considering your pick for another 2-3 rounds, you may as well go ahead and post it. :boxing:
The truth hurts. Although the TRich thread in the SP seems to enforce that the 1.15 was not that far fetched...if I had taken Stafford at the 2.02 I would have been getting high fives from most in here.
I applaud your selection of Steve Smith as it makes me feel even better about the value I got earlier in the PDSL when I nabbed Smith at 4.8. :hifive: :hifive:

BSS has my cell and can prompt me when I am up.
Since no one would be considering your pick for another 2-3 rounds, you may as well go ahead and post it. :boxing:
The truth hurts. Although the TRich thread in the SP seems to enforce that the 1.15 was not that far fetched...if I had taken Stafford at the 2.02 I would have been getting high fives from most in here.
I applaud your selection of Steve Smith as it makes me feel even better about the value I got earlier in the PDSL when I nabbed Smith at 4.8. :hifive: :hifive:
Rzrback and how, ouch! I'm setting the pace for futility right now. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the Staff logic that he has to be a stud with Calvin...where does that put Matt Ryan with both Roddy White and Julio Jones to haul in receptions?

Very happy where I landed him right now. Love the Jordy pick to pair with Steve Smith, feeling alright but most folks are after 4 rounds.

I like Ryan this year a lot. He is very comfortable with Roddy White who has been close to the most targeted WR for the past couple of years and I think that Julio Jones is more talented than Roddy. Not sure if Gonzalez can maintain his production this year, but he is also a nice Red Zone option. When you add in that their lead dog RB Michael Turner has so many carries over his Falcon career and is getting up their in age as well, there is a lot to like in Ryan. Getting him at QB 9 seems about right and he could finish slightly ahead of that in the final rankings for the year.

Jordy Nelson is awesome for best ball.... booom weeks galore

THe change in OC might be what Matt Ryan needs to finally have a WOW offensive season. Roddy/Julio need to be featured and Turner needs to take a back seat. Im buying this year for sure

Users who are viewing this thread