What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Facebook IPO thread (1 Viewer)

Shut out today from both E*Trade and JPM. Wanted to buy 300 @ $35. Oh well ... there will be other ways to make money on this one.

Shut out today from both E*Trade and JPM. Wanted to buy 300 @ $35. Oh well ... there will be other ways to make money on this one.
Sorry. No longer accepting bids already? There are some "halo" trades you could also look at, like Zynga. From prsopectus:"In 2011 and the first quarter of 2012, we estimate that up to 19% and 15% of our revenue, respectively, wasderived from Payments processing fees from Zynga, direct advertising from Zynga, and revenue from thirdparties for ads shown on pages generated by Zynga apps."

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook ups the range from 34 to 38 a share, implying a market value of 104 billion. Valued at 26x trailing 12 month sales.

for most, the pricing doesn't matter, the real question is what will it open at....

60...?

'Boulder Toads said:
As I said earlier, not surprising. I'd honestly be impressed if, even with us all being FBG's earning 7 figures, many/any of us ended up with an allotment of IPO shares. I do agree...there will be other ways to make money...but there'll be lots of ways to lose too. The whole thing just scares me. It'll go up on pure hype initially. But then what it will settle in at is anyone's guess.

'Boulder Toads said:
:lmao: at putting a limit order on a hot ipo....go market or you don't have a shot at stock

'Boulder Toads said:
As I said earlier, not surprising. I'd honestly be impressed if, even with us all being FBG's earning 7 figures, many/any of us ended up with an allotment of IPO shares. I do agree...there will be other ways to make money...but there'll be lots of ways to lose too. The whole thing just scares me. It'll go up on pure hype initially. But then what it will settle in at is anyone's guess.
During the dotcom boom I used to get IPO stock from Wit Capital, E Trade and a few other online brokers. It was awesome and helped me build a nice nest egg. Much different story now but I think E Trade will distribute stock to some of their normal accounts. I do have a feeling the majority will go to their VIP/Active Traders first. Curious how this shakes out.

'Boulder Toads said:
:lmao: at putting a limit order on a hot ipo....go market or you don't have a shot at stock
Dude, I never even got to that point. There weren't any lots of shares available to someone like me. $35 was implying my willingness to pay the top of the offering range (at the time). Hell yes I'd pay a higher market number if I knew I could get my hands on shares during the offering period. Im not planning in participating in the open market until we see some sort of trend established.

'Boulder Toads said:
During the dotcom boom I used to get IPO stock from Wit Capital, E Trade and a few other online brokers. It was awesome and helped me build a nice nest egg. Much different story now but I think E Trade will distribute stock to some of their normal accounts. I do have a feeling the majority will go to their VIP/Active Traders first. Curious how this shakes out.
Yeah I was Hoping my account would be considered active enough ... Guess not. Same with JPM. Ugh. You get any?

'Boulder Toads said:
Sorry. No longer accepting bids already? There are some "halo" trades you could also look at, like Zynga. From prsopectus:"In 2011 and the first quarter of 2012, we estimate that up to 19% and 15% of our revenue, respectively, wasderived from Payments processing fees from Zynga, direct advertising from Zynga, and revenue from thirdparties for ads shown on pages generated by Zynga apps."
Agreed. Was spying GSVC as well, but my orders didn't trigger.

When it was revealed last week that Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin renounced his US citizenship, even notorious bad-boy billionaire Mark Cuban took to Twitter to express his disgust. The move allows the 30-year old Saverin to avoid paying a significant chunk of the taxes he will owe on the windfall coming his way with the impending Facebook IPO. In making this decision, the Brazilian native did more than expose his blind disregard for all that his adopted country has done for him. He has made himself the poster child for the callous class of 1 percenters who are all too happy to use national resources to enrich themselves, and then skate, or cry foul, when asked to pay their fair share. The story evokes the image of the marauding aliens from the movie Independence Day, who come to Earth to take what they can get before moving on to another planet.
http://www.thenation.com/blog/167866/lessons-disloyalty-eduardo-saverin-and-facebook-ipo

When it was revealed last week that Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin renounced his US citizenship, even notorious bad-boy billionaire Mark Cuban took to Twitter to express his disgust. The move allows the 30-year old Saverin to avoid paying a significant chunk of the taxes he will owe on the windfall coming his way with the impending Facebook IPO. In making this decision, the Brazilian native did more than expose his blind disregard for all that his adopted country has done for him. He has made himself the poster child for the callous class of 1 percenters who are all too happy to use national resources to enrich themselves, and then skate, or cry foul, when asked to pay their fair share. The story evokes the image of the marauding aliens from the movie Independence Day, who come to Earth to take what they can get before moving on to another planet.
http://www.thenation.com/blog/167866/lessons-disloyalty-eduardo-saverin-and-facebook-ipo
This is not true, he has to pay an exit tax based on the value of his wealth.

And he has probably already generated more revenue for the gov't and paid more tax in his 30 years that 99% will in their entire lives.

But he's only paying the exit tax on his pre-Facebook IPO worth, no?

So big buyers could buy it at 30ish on the secondary market just a month ago, and now the public is going to run it up to 50-60 and get shares dumped on them at hugely inflated prices?

If facebook goes from a 100 billion market cap to a 200 billion market cap on opening day it will prove that the public investor has gone full ####### and they deserve to lose all their money.

Could some of you explain this to me. This is a big area of weakness for me.

How do you have stocks from a private company? So all these employees were paid in stocks and now will sell their shares to become million and bilionares.

How does that work?

How do they know how many stocks the company will have? Are the only stocks available the same that employees are selling?

What if the company never went public?

TIA

:popcorn:

Read this on Yahoo! Finance today:

"Many wealth managers are advising their clients to avoid Facebook, pointing to a sky-high valuation of up to $104 billion set by the IPO, and potentially much higher once it starts trading. The company also shows signs of slowing growth, has yet to figure out how to make money on mobile, and new shareholders will have little influence as nearly 56 percent of voting shares will be in the hands of one person: Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg.

But such warnings are falling on deaf ears as many people are drawn in by Facebook's brand name and the fact that one in seven people around the globe are on the social network. Facebook Inc (FB.O) on Tuesday increased the size of its IPO by nearly 25 percent and raised the target price range."

So big buyers could buy it at 30ish on the secondary market just a month ago, and now the public is going to run it up to 50-60 and get shares dumped on them at hugely inflated prices?If facebook goes from a 100 billion market cap to a 200 billion market cap on opening day it will prove that the public investor has gone full ####### and they deserve to lose all their money.
Obama will bail them out....

But he's only paying the exit tax on his pre-Facebook IPO worth, no?
The tax is assessed to the worth of his stock at the time, even if it isn't sold. If FB appreciates substantially after he does this, then it would probably benefit him.

Could some of you explain this to me. This is a big area of weakness for me.How do you have stocks from a private company? So all these employees were paid in stocks and now will sell their shares to become million and bilionares.How does that work?How do they know how many stocks the company will have? Are the only stocks available the same that employees are selling?What if the company never went public?
Private companies issue stock to employees and investors. In fact, one of the reasons Zuckerberg gave some months ago about needing to go public soon was that promises were made to employees. Some of the shares being made available in the IPO are from investors and Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg will still control the company because he will own 57% of the company after the IPO.There is a breakdown of shares in the filing I link a couple of days ago, but it gets pretty convoluted. Here are some of the numbers (not incl. the additional shares announced today that will be offered):THE OFFERINGClass A common stock offeredBy us . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 180,000,000 sharesBy the selling stockholders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 241,233,615 sharesTotal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 421,233,615 sharesClass A common stock to be outstanding after ourinitial public offering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 635,881,796 sharesClass B common stock to be outstanding after ourinitial public offering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1,502,203,241 sharesTotal Class A and Class B common stock to beoutstanding after our initial public offering . . . . . . . . . 2,138,085,037 sharesOver-allotment option of Class A common stockofferedBy us . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3,094,842 sharesBy the selling stockholders . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 60,090,200 sharesTotal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 63,185,042 shares

Could some of you explain this to me. This is a big area of weakness for me.How do you have stocks from a private company? So all these employees were paid in stocks and now will sell their shares to become million and bilionares.How does that work?How do they know how many stocks the company will have? Are the only stocks available the same that employees are selling?What if the company never went public?TIA:popcorn:
All corporations are owned by shareholders. For privately held corporations, there's generally no market for the shares. The shareholders may receive dividends, but they often can't sell their shares.When the corporation "goes public," there's suddenly a market for the shares, which can now be sold. So everyone who has shares in Facebook can now sell them for a lot of money, whereas before they could only frame them and hang them on the wall.The shares sold at the IPO are new shares issued by the corporation, not shares already owned by current owners (including employees). So a shareholder who owned 1% of the company before the IPO will own less than that afterwords (but the company will be worth more).

Could some of you explain this to me. This is a big area of weakness for me.How do you have stocks from a private company? So all these employees were paid in stocks and now will sell their shares to become million and bilionares.How does that work?How do they know how many stocks the company will have? Are the only stocks available the same that employees are selling?What if the company never went public?TIA:popcorn:
All corporations are owned by shareholders. For privately held corporations, there's generally no market for the shares. The shareholders may receive dividends, but they often can't sell their shares.When the corporation "goes public," there's suddenly a market for the shares, which can now be sold. So everyone who has shares in Facebook can now sell them for a lot of money, whereas before they could only frame them and hang them on the wall.The shares sold at the IPO are new shares issued by the corporation, not shares already owned by current owners (including employees). So a shareholder who owned 1% of the company before the IPO will own less than that afterwords (but the company will be worth more).
Gotcha, my old company had private shares.So will most employees sell of most of their shares? How do they decide the amount of shares available?

[The shares sold at the IPO are new shares issued by the corporation, not shares already owned by current owners (including employees). So a shareholder who owned 1% of the company before the IPO will own less than that afterwords (but the company will be worth more).
30 mil are coming from Zuckerberg. A lot also from early investors.http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-05-15/facebook-ipo-stock-sell/54970236/1

Yeah I was Hoping my account would be considered active enough ... Guess not. Same with JPM. Ugh. You get any?
No word yet. The stock normally isn't allocated until the deal is priced with terms. Thursday night you'll have to confirm your interest at set terms. Once you agree, you'll be sold 100 shares. The more they shares they add to this deal, the worse it looks for a big pop. I think Second Market really took much upside from this one in the near term. I could be way off. You never know what the public will do. :thumbdown: on fb not giving their users/content some type of lotto to get IPO stock. I thought they'd get creative and do something like that. Instead they follow the ECM playbook.

I still say Zuckerberg should cash out quickly and resign. He can then go work on something else. In 10 years from now, Facebook won't be worth a tenth of what it will be on Friday.

Book it, Danno.

I still say Zuckerberg should cash out quickly and resign. He can then go work on something else. In 10 years from now, Facebook won't be worth a tenth of what it will be on Friday. Book it, Danno.
Whether you believe he can handle being a CEO of a public company or not, him selling his shares and resigning would be a very fast path to hitting that 1/10th value.

Read this on Yahoo! Finance today:"Many wealth managers are advising their clients to avoid Facebook, pointing to a sky-high valuation of up to $104 billion set by the IPO, and potentially much higher once it starts trading. The company also shows signs of slowing growth, has yet to figure out how to make money on mobile, and new shareholders will have little influence as nearly 56 percent of voting shares will be in the hands of one person: Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg.But such warnings are falling on deaf ears as many people are drawn in by Facebook's brand name and the fact that one in seven people around the globe are on the social network. Facebook Inc (FB.O) on Tuesday increased the size of its IPO by nearly 25 percent and raised the target price range."
Basically, if you're buying Facebook, you're buying to try and profit from the HYPE, not the earnings. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the individual investor to have anything more than a blind shot in the dark at having an accurate valuation based on real financials.

No word yet. The stock normally isn't allocated until the deal is priced with terms. Thursday night you'll have to confirm your interest at set terms. Once you agree, you'll be sold 100 shares. The more they shares they add to this deal, the worse it looks for a big pop. I think Second Market really took much upside from this one in the near term. I could be way off. You never know what the public will do.
Agree on all. Still going to try for my 100 shares. Maybe a smaller pop will lead to a smaller drop on the flips?

No word yet. The stock normally isn't allocated until the deal is priced with terms. Thursday night you'll have to confirm your interest at set terms. Once you agree, you'll be sold 100 shares. The more they shares they add to this deal, the worse it looks for a big pop. I think Second Market really took much upside from this one in the near term. I could be way off. You never know what the public will do.
Agree on all. Still going to try for my 100 shares. Maybe a smaller pop will lead to a smaller drop on the flips?
There will be a ton of flips especially if it's a dud and people get worried it was overpriced (I don't see this happening). I think people are expecting this thing to do some first day pop circa 99-2000 and don't see that happening either.

I still say Zuckerberg should cash out quickly and resign. He can then go work on something else. In 10 years from now, Facebook won't be worth a tenth of what it will be on Friday. Book it, Danno.
What zuck should've actually done is sell it when Yahoo or microsoft or whoever was giving 15 bil for it, taken his hundreds of millions and retired.I'll never understand people like Zuck, Gates, Leno, Letterman, larry King, Jobs, Mitt Romney... the second they have a a few lifetimes worth of money why not cash out and relax?

What zuck should've actually done is sell it when Yahoo or microsoft or whoever was giving 15 bil for it, taken his hundreds of millions and retired.I'll never understand people like Zuck, Gates, Leno, Letterman, larry King, Jobs, Mitt Romney... the second they have a a few lifetimes worth of money why not cash out and relax?
Ego

that's probably 90% of it.maybe the other 10% is that I'll never know what's it's like to TRULY LOVE what you do and get paid huge sums for it.Namely because there's not one thing in the world that I love to do more than not having any requirements of things to do... and that doesn't pay well.

because they aren't like you.

Any last minute guesses on the where it prices and where it opens?

I'll say Prices @ 39; Opens @51 ...but really have no clue!

Any last minute guesses on the where it prices and where it opens?I'll say Prices @ 39; Opens @51 ...but really have no clue!
if it opens at 51 or above i will laugh so hard at all the future bag holders.
clear out your throat for some serious belly laughs tomorrow morning.might want to have some tissues around, you're going to be crying.Hold the fiber, you are going to fart a lot with how hard you're going to be laughing, we don't want you messing up your dockers

No way it opens at 58, the public may be stupid but not that to that degree.
Mark me down for it topping out at $70 tomorrow.will be back around the 50's within 60 days
no way. this IPO is different then any other since it's already valued at a huge 100 billion. there is no way it will double to a 200 billion market cap on opening day.If somehow it does i have lost all confidence in the human race.

no way. this IPO is different then any other since it's already valued at a huge 100 billion. there is no way it will double to a 200 billion market cap on opening day.If somehow it does i have lost all confidence in the human race.
CNBC is running practically 24 hour coverage of this to whet people's appetites. I get Kiplinger's, Money Magazine, and Smart Money - all have articles on it.I've got a dental assistant that wouldn't know preferred stock from livestock asking if she gave me $100 if I could pick her up a "couple shares"The today show is having Cramer on to talk about it.This is financial porn at its highest level.E-trade is seeing a recent spike in new accounts created by younger people just for this IPO.This is THE IPO of the social generation... No one has ever given this much of a crap about any other IPO in the history of stocks and had the accessibility to heard and talk about it (via... facebook and twitter) and there's never been more written about an IPO, and the barriers for entry with Online trading and $7 trades are the lowest they have ever been.If this was 1999 i'd say it would pop to $100... the only thing keeping it from insanity beyond anything you can comprehend is that people are skeptical of the markets in general after 2009.People are going to want to say they BOUGHT facebook.. hell they might not even care if they make money on it.. they just want to say they have some... it's like an effing "designer stock".. like some sort of keepsake.

Users who are viewing this thread