What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Goodbye Rams (1 Viewer)

St. Louis Bob

Footballguy
Their demands on the stadium remodel came out today. Link.

It looks like the last cards are being played so they can justify their exit from St. Louis. I'll repost my e-mail to Ram's Vice-President Kevin Demoff and his reply when they announce they are moving in 24-36 months. It will be funnier then.

Watching the Greatest Show On Turf in person was some of best times in my life. I'll be sad to see them go and always hate Belicheat & the Patriots for stealing the 2001 Superbowl. :( :sadbanana:

If Roger Goodell wants football in St Louis, then there will be football in St Louis.
I'm fairly certain he doesn't care if there is football in St. Louis or not. Actually, I would lean towards the not.
its that terrible wording in the lease agreement that will doom STL football. Have to have a top5 stadium? whats that? whose ranking?
Yes and I'm not sure. I think the stadium is fine but admit it isn't anything fancy. If Kronke had to spend his own money on a new stadium, pretty sure he would find the Edward Jones Dome more than sufficient.

No basketball. No football. No Pujols.

Is their sports in STL anymore? Shame as STL is one of my favorite towns to visit in the US.

Owners are going to force taxpayers to pay for billion dollar stadiums(or upgrades) as long as L.A does not have a team. As soon as L.A has a team again I think owners will lose a lot of leverage.

If Roger Goodell wants football in St Louis, then there will be football in St Louis.
I'm fairly certain he doesn't care if there is football in St. Louis or not. Actually, I would lean towards the not.
its that terrible wording in the lease agreement that will doom STL football. Have to have a top5 stadium? whats that? whose ranking?
It looks like it has to be a top 8 stadium. I wonder what those 15 categories are and how they would expect to calculate it.
The Rams are in the 17th year of a 30-year lease of the Dome that’s set to expire in 2025. However, an escape clause puts a heavy burden on the CVC, which also runs the America’s Center convention hall that’s attached to the Dome.

According to the lease, the Rams are free to terminate the lease as early as 2015 if the CVC fails to keep the Dome a “first-tier” stadium, or one that’s better than three-quarters of all NFL venues in 15 categories. If the Rams and the CVC can’t agree on a renovation plan satisfying the lease requirement by June 15, the matter goes into arbitration.

Owners are going to force taxpayers to pay for billion dollar stadiums(or upgrades) as long as L.A does not have a team. As soon as L.A has a team again I think owners will lose a lot of leverage.
This is exactly why I don't think LA will get a team. San diego is close enough if you're hardcore, and the owners don't want to lose their trump card.

This is exactly why I don't think LA will get a team. San diego is close enough if you're hardcore, and the owners don't want to lose their trump card.
The hold up this whole time was a stadium and that looks like it may finally happen. If a stadium gets built then some owner is going to jump at the chance to come to LA.

cstu, you can stop researching our POS dome. It's terrible, and even the sports commission knows it - no matter what criteria you want to use to find its rating. We dodged a bullet when Kroenke got outbid for the Dodgers, but it's still not looking good. Although, I dont think it's as gloomy as you think.

Why stop at 4 California teams? Just go for 16 so an entire conference is there and save on travel expenses too. :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why stop at 4 California teams? Just go for 16 so an entire conference is there and save on travel expenses too. :thumbdown:
California has 12% of the country's population and 12% of 32 teams is 3.9, so 4 wouldn't be out of proportion.

cstu, you can stop researching our POS dome. It's terrible, and even the sports commission knows it
:lmao: I've only seen it on TV, but that place needs some natural light features in the worst way.
If the stadium needs to be multi use, it has to be some kind of dome. That's why small markets are always under the gun. I think the plan submitted is an honest assesment of what type of stadium the Rams need in order to stay, it is just a question of who is going to pay for it. If St. Louis taxpayers don't pay at least 50% it is L.A Rams. Jacksonville owner might make a move first however.

Man, I don't envy you guys. :sadbanana:

Been going through this B.S. for seemingly a decade here in Minnesota. But as long as there's a city willing to bend over and grab its ankles to avoid being a "cold Omaha" on the professional sports scene, we're always going to be dealing with this crap. FWIW, if an NFL team has to move, I hope it's the Jaguars. Seems to be a terribly-run franchise with a barely-loyal fan base. Although I have to admit, the L.A. Rams does sound awfully "right" (the franchise going full-circle).

Maybe you'll luck-out and San Diego will get the nod for LA. Not saying I like that either! But the Chargers to LA has been rumored for about as long as the Vikings had been rumored to LA.

cstu, you can stop researching our POS dome. It's terrible, and even the sports commission knows it
:lmao: I've only seen it on TV, but that place needs some natural light features in the worst way.
If the stadium needs to be multi use, it has to be some kind of dome. That's why small markets are always under the gun. I think the plan submitted is an honest assesment of what type of stadium the Rams need in order to stay, it is just a question of who is going to pay for it. If St. Louis taxpayers don't pay at least 50% it is L.A Rams. Jacksonville owner might make a move first however.
Don't kid yourself. The new owner is spending his own money to upgrade team facilities in Jacksonville. Jacksonville is not going to bail you out of this situation.I feel for the fans of any team that faces the possibility of moving. It is natural to hope that another team will get plucked up first. But the situation the Rams face is very likely going to come to a head before any other team commits to a move to LA.

#### that. i would take any team in LA over the chokers.

Don't kid yourself. The new owner is spending his own money to upgrade team facilities in Jacksonville. Jacksonville is not going to bail you out of this situation.I feel for the fans of any team that faces the possibility of moving. It is natural to hope that another team will get plucked up first. But the situation the Rams face is very likely going to come to a head before any other team commits to a move to LA.
So you say. How much has the guy committed? All I know is there are several new owners who don't care one iota about the city they bought a team in. I will bet dollars to donuts that Buffalo does not have a team in 5 years. (even though half my family grew up in Buffalo).

The true definition should have something to do with ranking for 'unshared revenue' streams and how EJD stacks up against others. Not in arbitrary visual appeal, but in ability to generate new revenues.

Looks like June 1 will come and go and the CVC will reject the Rams undefined/unestimated stadium renovation plan. And they should, because it's crazy to lose 2 years of convention business while they install the unretractable, retractable-like roof. Demoff is a shark who isn't operating in good faith with the CVC, maybe it's all an excuse to move to LA. The numbers are waaay off between the CVC (124 million) and the Rams (750++ million). The CVC's proposal may be on the cheap, but at least it's well estimated. And it does call for improvements that bring in outside light. In any case if and when the Rams counterproposal is rejected by the CVC, this should go into arbitration on June 15th. My link

I am so sick of these ####### owners threatening to move teams every few years in order to get a big slice of welfare from the taxpayers to subsidize their immensely profitable ventures. :thumbdown:

I am so sick of these ####### owners threatening to move teams every few years in order to get a big slice of welfare from the taxpayers to subsidize their immensely profitable ventures. :thumbdown:
Which is why there is not a team in Los Angeles. The threat of a team moving to LA is worth more to the NFL than a team in LA.

STL is a dump and the NFL not having a team in LA is crazy. Just move them. Plus the NFC West makes more geographical sense that way.

Which is why there is not a team in Los Angeles. The threat of a team moving to LA is worth more to the NFL than a team in LA.
Yeah, it makes sense. But I don't think you need LA to pull this off. Basketball has two teams there so it just uses cities like Oklahoma City and New Orleans.

Someone made a comment in another thread a while back that the biggest factor most overlook is the networks:Fox would suddenly go from having one of its markets in St. Louis, the 21st biggest, to being in the No. 2 market. Regardless of alleged tepidness or apathy towards football in L.A., that's a big jump in advertising rates and profitability. Supposedly Fox & the NFC have the lion's share of better markets in the NFL right now and this would only get worse (better?) if the Rams moved to L.A.ETA: If Jax moved to L.A. that would cause alignment problems, no way a team in the West could/would be made to travel to Indy, Nashville and Houston (though the Rams and 9ers used to do it in the old NFC West, but that was 4 games a year to/from the CDT/EDT not six and that was pre-realignment). If it was Jax that moved a team could be shifted from the AFC West but who? (The Chiefs would make the most sense but they are entrenched as a classic AFCW rival, so no). The Rams do make more sense geographically and in terms of alignment, plus Fox/CBS would not have to be trading off markets inequitably.http://www.ricalbano.com/FantasyFootball/2007/images/NFL_Map.jpg

'ItsOnlytheRiver said:
'Craig_MiamiFL said:
No basketball. No football. No Pujols. Is their sports in STL anymore? Shame as STL is one of my favorite towns to visit in the US.
No one cares about basketball in St Louis, the Rams are still here and Pujols is batting below the mendoza line while our team is in first.
:goodposting: Plus, the Blues resurgence this season has this city going crazy over hockey again.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
If it was Jax that moved a team could be shifted from the AFC West but who? (The Chiefs would make the most sense but they are entrenched as a classic AFCW rival, so no). http://www.ricalbano.com/FantasyFootball/2007/images/NFL_Map.jpg
yeah, that would be tricky. The AFCW has been intact since day of the AFL in 1960 - with a brief stay-over from Seattle. I don't think I'd be all that keen in breaking up 50 years worth of rivalries.

Is that stadium they are building in LA going to seat more than 30K? If not, I guess the home games will never be televised due to the blackout rules.

The Rams have SUCKED hard for years and they still pack close to 60K in that dome every home game. They won't pack the house in LA for a good team, if the Rams are only mediocre, it's going to be tumbleweed in the aisles for the LA Rams.

LA is a lot of things, but a sports town isn't one of them. St. Louis is not a lot of things, but it is one of the best sports towns in the country.

Is that stadium they are building in LA going to seat more than 30K? If not, I guess the home games will never be televised due to the blackout rules. The Rams have SUCKED hard for years and they still pack close to 60K in that dome every home game. They won't pack the house in LA for a good team, if the Rams are only mediocre, it's going to be tumbleweed in the aisles for the LA Rams. LA is a lot of things, but a sports town isn't one of them. St. Louis is not a lot of things, but it is one of the best sports towns in the country.
Really ?you don't have a basketball team.Lakers sell out the Staples, Kings sell out the Staples.Dodgers have a huge fan base. Not understanding your point.The Los Angeles Rams were in Anaheim, big difference from DTLA.If Farmers Field gets built in DTLA next to the Staples Center, that stadium will be filled to capacity, weekly.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
Someone made a comment in another thread a while back that the biggest factor most overlook is the networks:Fox would suddenly go from having one of its markets in St. Louis, the 21st biggest, to being in the No. 2 market. Regardless of alleged tepidness or apathy towards football in L.A., that's a big jump in advertising rates and profitability. Supposedly Fox & the NFC have the lion's share of better markets in the NFL right now and this would only get worse (better?) if the Rams moved to L.A.ETA: If Jax moved to L.A. that would cause alignment problems, no way a team in the West could/would be made to travel to Indy, Nashville and Houston (though the Rams and 9ers used to do it in the old NFC West, but that was 4 games a year to/from the CDT/EDT not six and that was pre-realignment). If it was Jax that moved a team could be shifted from the AFC West but who? (The Chiefs would make the most sense but they are entrenched as a classic AFCW rival, so no). The Rams do make more sense geographically and in terms of alignment, plus Fox/CBS would not have to be trading off markets inequitably.http://www.ricalbano.com/FantasyFootball/2007/images/NFL_Map.jpg
Maybe the owners won't feel the same way, but to me you don't break up the teams that are in the AFC West, same as you should never break up the AFC North or NFC East (edit to add:) or NFC North. There is just too much history and in the rivalries in those divisions to change them, if it was my call.If the Jaguars did move to LA I would do something like put the LA Jags in the NFC West and move St Louis into the AFC South before I'd mess with the AFC West. It isn't common to switch conferences, but they've done it with the Seahawks twice so there is precedent. Then you'd have St Louis with much closer to natural regional rivalries with Indy and Tennessee.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
Someone made a comment in another thread a while back that the biggest factor most overlook is the networks:Fox would suddenly go from having one of its markets in St. Louis, the 21st biggest, to being in the No. 2 market. Regardless of alleged tepidness or apathy towards football in L.A., that's a big jump in advertising rates and profitability. Supposedly Fox & the NFC have the lion's share of better markets in the NFL right now and this would only get worse (better?) if the Rams moved to L.A.

ETA: If Jax moved to L.A. that would cause alignment problems, no way a team in the West could/would be made to travel to Indy, Nashville and Houston (though the Rams and 9ers used to do it in the old NFC West, but that was 4 games a year to/from the CDT/EDT not six and that was pre-realignment). If it was Jax that moved a team could be shifted from the AFC West but who? (The Chiefs would make the most sense but they are entrenched as a classic AFCW rival, so no). The Rams do make more sense geographically and in terms of alignment, plus Fox/CBS would not have to be trading off markets inequitably.

http://www.ricalbano.com/FantasyFootball/2007/images/NFL_Map.jpg
Maybe the owners won't feel the same way, but to me you don't break up the teams that are in the AFC West, same as you should never break up the AFC North or NFC East. There is just too much history and in the rivalries in those divisions to change them, if it was my call.

If the Jaguars did move to LA I would do something like put the LA Jags in the NFC West and move St Louis into the AFC South before I'd mess with the AFC West. It isn't common to switch conferences, but they've done it with the Seahawks twice so there is precedent. Then you'd have St Louis with much closer to natural regional rivalries with Indy and Tennessee.
:goodposting: This makes the most sense to me. IMO, an LA team should be in the NFC West to continue the rivalry with the 49ers, no matter if it's the Rams or Jags.

Also, even besides the rivalry history in the AFC West it wouldn't make sense to put two teams (Chargers and the LA) in the same division because it's basically the same market.

Is that stadium they are building in LA going to seat more than 30K? If not, I guess the home games will never be televised due to the blackout rules.

The Rams have SUCKED hard for years and they still pack close to 60K in that dome every home game. They won't pack the house in LA for a good team, if the Rams are only mediocre, it's going to be tumbleweed in the aisles for the LA Rams.

LA is a lot of things, but a sports town isn't one of them. St. Louis is not a lot of things, but it is one of the best sports towns in the country.
Really ?you don't have a basketball team.

Lakers sell out the Staples, Kings sell out the Staples.

Dodgers have a huge fan base. Not understanding your point.

The Los Angeles Rams were in Anaheim, big difference from DTLA.

If Farmers Field gets built in DTLA next to the Staples Center,

that stadium will be filled to capacity, weekly.
People that don't live in LA don't understand that Anaheim might as well be the moon to Angelenos.

People that don't live in LA don't understand that Anaheim might as well be the moon to Angelenos.
Can you elaborate for someone who hasn't been to LA? Why is that? It looks like they are only about 15 miles apart. In Houston, 15 miles from downtown won't even necessarily get you out of the city limits.

Can you elaborate for someone who hasn't been to LA? Why is that? It looks like they are only about 15 miles apart. In Houston, 15 miles from downtown won't even necessarily get you out of the city limits.
From the Santa Monica area it's an hour drive in the best conditions.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
You have the networks issue backwards.They are better off not having a "home" team in the #2 TV market.Now, they are free to televise the best matchups each work to maximize ad money.However, if they get stuck with a turd in the LA, they lose the best match-ups if they get to televise any game at all due to the blackout rules . The league and the networks are better off using LA to extort stadium deals than actually having a team there.

Edward Jones Dome was built back in 95 for only $265 million. The CVC promised “Top Tier” status, which ensured Rams ownership that EJD would be top 25% in the league into perpetuity, as long as they held the lease. It was an insane clause that the CVC agreed to and really puts them at a huge disadvantage going forward. The Rams bent the CVC over and had them grab their ankles. Basically, they abused their leverage.

The CVC was so enamored with stealing the Rams away from LA, they agreed to the following absurd lease terms:

• Rams only pay $25K per game, or $250K for eight regular season games plus two preseason games.

• Rams get 100% of the ticket revenue.

• Rams get 100% of the game concessions as well as a percentage of non-game events.

• They also get 75% of the first $6 million in advertising revenue and 90% of revenue after that.

• Renovations to be agreed upon every 10 years to ensure “top tier” status.

On top of this, the CVC paid out $28 million in bond obligations still owed on Anaheim Stadium and another $20 million (of the $29 million) franchise relocation fee. They additionally covered all the teams moving expenses and built a $10 million training facility.

This deal was so lopsided, they attempted to sue using the Sherman Anti-Trust Act against the NFL and lost.

From the Santa Monica area it's an hour drive in the best conditions.
Night and day. Orange County has minimal passion for sports compared to Angelenos.Think New York City and the Meadowlands. Big difference.

'St. Louis Bob said:
Their demands on the stadium remodel came out today. Link.

It looks like the last cards are being played so they can justify their exit from St. Louis. I'll repost my e-mail to Ram's Vice-President Kevin Demoff and his reply when they announce they are moving in 24-36 months. It will be funnier then.

Watching the Greatest Show On Turf in person was some of best times in my life. I'll be sad to see them go and always hate Belicheat & the Patriots for stealing the 2001 Superbowl. :( :sadbanana:
I'm so happy. Welcome home, Rams!

It's 30 miles from Staples Center (which is where Farmers Field is going) to Anaheim Stadium (where the Rams used to play). From West L.A., it's 41 miles. It can take anywhere from 1 hour on a good day to 2.5 hours to get to Anaheim Stadium.It's also in Orange County. L.A. residents, particularly on the westside, just don't travel that far south other than to continue on down to San Diego for a weekend vacation.

Is that stadium they are building in LA going to seat more than 30K? If not, I guess the home games will never be televised due to the blackout rules. The Rams have SUCKED hard for years and they still pack close to 60K in that dome every home game. They won't pack the house in LA for a good team, if the Rams are only mediocre, it's going to be tumbleweed in the aisles for the LA Rams. LA is a lot of things, but a sports town isn't one of them. St. Louis is not a lot of things, but it is one of the best sports towns in the country.
Really ?you don't have a basketball team.Lakers sell out the Staples, Kings sell out the Staples.Dodgers have a huge fan base. Not understanding your point.The Los Angeles Rams were in Anaheim, big difference from DTLA.If Farmers Field gets built in DTLA next to the Staples Center, that stadium will be filled to capacity, weekly.
St. Louis packs the Scottrade center for a blues team that was terrible for years until this year. The Rams have been terrible for years, playing in a terrible venue, and yet they are on every week because the place is packed.The Cardinals have 3 million fans every year.The St. Louis fans are loyal and extremely knowledgable in terms of baseball and hockey. They still cheer at the wrong friggin times in football games. Nobody gets out of their seats and yells when the other team is in the redzone.But it all comes down to the Aneheim thing. I didn't realize the stadium would be so close. It's been mentioned more than once that paying all that money for Albert by Anaheim is ridiculous because they are not going to unseat the Dodgers and get people to head out there to see Pujols play. That makes perfect sense. According to John Clayton this morning on M&M, he said it's Raiders first, Chargers second and Rams third in likelihood of moving to LA. I heard a rumor from someone in Ram's park that the stadium in LA could wind up housing both the Rams and the Raiders. Knowing where it's located, I could see that.Me, I like having the Rams in town, but I rarely go to games. I saw Favre break the yardage record here against the Rams, but I was there to see him and the Packers, not the Rams and have not been to a game since. I'd rather watch the games at home on the Redzone channel...

I don't want to get into an LA vs. St. Louis thing, but LA is the 2nd most populated city in the country, while St. Louis isn't even close to the top 10, plus LA has tons of celebrities that like going to games just to be seen and get their faces on television, so it is really fair to compare the two cities when it comes to sports fans? I'll say no. Sure, the Lakers pack the Staples Center, but let them suck for a few years, and I am sure Jack Nicholson and plenty of other "fans" would suddenly stop going to games; you can almost set your watch to it. I mean, football is the biggest sport in the country, and yet LA doesn't even have one freaking team! What does that tell you?

Users who are viewing this thread