What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Goodbye Rams (1 Viewer)

Who does st. Louis fans root for, do they follow the rams to la?
I can't imagine rooting for a team that bolted the city for more money.
This is a tough call. I can see dumping them but who do you root for? Your fantasy team? Kc? I cant see that. Publicaly owned Green bay ?Heard an interview with jon hamm on the. Bs report a few years ago, he is from st l and he followed the cardinals to arizona and roots for them there.

Just wondering.. Its a tough decision for the stl fan.. Especially winning a recent superbowl.... Bummer

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a tough call. I can see dumping them but who do you root for? Your fantasy team? Kc? I cant see that. Publicaly owned Green bay ?Heard an interview with jon hamm on the. Bs report a few years ago, he is from st l and he followed the cardinals to arizona and roots for them there.

Just wondering.. Its a tough decision for the stl fan.. Especially winning a recent superbowl.... Bummer
Yup. I watch other sports so likely will just loosely follow NFL.

If SD does move as has been reported, really sorry to hear it SD fans. At least you still have one of the most awesome places on Earth to live :) I expect you'll have another team soon, if you care.

If it's anyone, it will be whomever you rooted for after the Big Red left. That was almost never KC. I would be willing to bet most will root for their magic football teams after the #### job we got from the NFL.

We'll just be happy to get rid of Kroenke. I'm SURE he'll never screw anyone over ever again though. lol
Well, he owns the land and the stadium. The only person he can complain to about a poor stadium is himself. Is he going to threaten himself in 20 years?
There's more than one way to "extract" money from a fanbase. Can't hear what this deal is after he screwed Spanos out of the land deal.

I have a dream that one day, public officials will start standing up to sports leagues and refusing to be extorted.
Thought I read that the inglewood stadium didn't include any public money. Just 100 mil in tax breaks after the stadium opens. That's pretty damn reasonable, if true.

Heard on the local LA news, exactly 70 years ago TO THE DAY, the NFL gave permission for the Rams to move from Cleveland to Los Angeles.

REPORT: Chargers get approval to join Rams in L.A.

The San Diego Chargers have been given permission, along with the St. Louis Rams, to move to Los Angeles. However, the Chargers' approval may hold some restrictions.

 TWEET SHARE PIN
The #Rams back to L.A. is done. Wherhe the #Chargers join them now or later only question

— Vincent Bonsignore (@DailyNewsVinny) January 13, 2016
So, it's done....right? Finally?

Not a chance.

It's over for the Rams, and it's over for St. Louis. Hell, it might even be over for the Oakland Raiders, but they'll likely get some sort of payout for being the odd team out.

For the Chargers, it sounds as though they'll be asked to come back and work on a deal with the city of San Diego. They'll try to get a stadium deal done (and they have reportedly already decided on Cory Briggs' citizens initiative and a downtown NFL stadium) in San Diego, with their fallback option being that they could join Stan Kroenke and the Rams in Inglewood.

This eliminates the issue of finding more than one temporary venue, and it gives San Diego the time to get a deal/vote done without the Chargers losing negotiating leverage.

Stay tuned for more as it comes in.

This is probably a best-case scenario, although it means at least another year of harsh public negotiations between Mark Fabiani and Mayor Kevin Faulconer. Before you scream, remember that it also probably means Philip Rivers is a "San Diego Charger" next year and probably for the remainder of his contract.

REPORT: Chargers get approval to join Rams in L.A.

The San Diego Chargers have been given permission, along with the St. Louis Rams, to move to Los Angeles. However, the Chargers' approval may hold some restrictions.

 TWEET SHARE PIN
The #Rams back to L.A. is done. Wherhe the #Chargers join them now or later only question

— Vincent Bonsignore (@DailyNewsVinny) January 13, 2016
So, it's done....right? Finally?

Not a chance.

It's over for the Rams, and it's over for St. Louis. Hell, it might even be over for the Oakland Raiders, but they'll likely get some sort of payout for being the odd team out.

For the Chargers, it sounds as though they'll be asked to come back and work on a deal with the city of San Diego. They'll try to get a stadium deal done (and they have reportedly already decided on Cory Briggs' citizens initiative and a downtown NFL stadium) in San Diego, with their fallback option being that they could join Stan Kroenke and the Rams in Inglewood.

This eliminates the issue of finding more than one temporary venue, and it gives San Diego the time to get a deal/vote done without the Chargers losing negotiating leverage.

Stay tuned for more as it comes in.

This is probably a best-case scenario, although it means at least another year of harsh public negotiations between Mark Fabiani and Mayor Kevin Faulconer. Before you scream, remember that it also probably means Philip Rivers is a "San Diego Charger" next year and probably for the remainder of his contract.
don't want to get my hopes up, but maybe just maybe.................

This is the worst part:

@Stareagle Edward Jones Dome was built in 1995. Missouri still owes $72 million in stadium bonds, while St. Louis city and STL county owe $36M each.
boy they got fleeced
The dome is connected to the convention center so it's a multi use facility. Under the current agreement conventions couldn't be booked for the facility any time during the football season. That's why in lieu of the 750 million the arbitrators ruled, a brand new stadium was offered to be built. Plus there was hopes of attracting a MLS team to the same new stadium. Of course as I posted a hundred times in this thread, it was never about the stadium. It's all very clear Kroenke bought the team 5 years ago to move to LA. Good riddance Kroenke and NFL.

Spanos would save the $550M relocation fee if he does not relocate. And given all the talk of a golden parachute for the team that doesn't relocate, I've been wondering why it hasn't come up that Spanos could elect to stay, avoid having to partner with Kroenke, which he reportedly does not want, let Davis become Kroenke's tenant, and get that golden parachute.

Who knows exactly how much that parachute is worth, but it could be a total swing for Spanos of $750M to $1B. He could afford to put a few hundred million into a plan with the city and pocket the rest and still end up with a beautiful state of the art stadium without leaving, increasing his revenue stream and the value of the franchise.

It seems like a win for San Diego and Spanos, were it not for Fabiani's scorched earth campaign over the past year. But I suppose if they negotiate a deal with San Diego, Fabiani can go away or into the background, and he was really the villain in the whole scenario. My guess is that Chargers fans would mostly let bygones be bygones.

This is the worst part:

@Stareagle Edward Jones Dome was built in 1995. Missouri still owes $72 million in stadium bonds, while St. Louis city and STL county owe $36M each.
Exhibit 932 why no one should ever support public funding of a stadium.
The thing is, it was obvious back in 1995 that bending over backwards to accommodate the Rams just meant they were going to continue to walk all over St. Louis. It's hardly a shock now to see them rack up huge bills and then skip town, but I suppose to the people who held out hope that the Rams were "only talking tough and didn't really mean it", it's the same mentality you find in battered spouses. I hope other cities at least learn a lesson here about the perils of coddling NFL teams and don't make the same dumb mistakes that St. Louis did.

This is the worst part:

boy they got fleeced
The dome is connected to the convention center so it's a multi use facility. Under the current agreement conventions couldn't be booked for the facility any time during the football season. That's why in lieu of the 750 million the arbitrators ruled, a brand new stadium was offered to be built. Plus there was hopes of attracting a MLS team to the same new stadium. Of course as I posted a hundred times in this thread, it was never about the stadium. It's all very clear Kroenke bought the team 5 years ago to move to LA. Good riddance Kroenke and NFL.
an NFL stadium is not an attraction for an MLS team

This is the worst part:

The thing is, it was obvious back in 1995 that bending over backwards to accommodate the Rams just meant they were going to continue to walk all over St. Louis. It's hardly a shock now to see them rack up huge bills and then skip town, but I suppose to the people who held out hope that the Rams were "only talking tough and didn't really mean it", it's the same mentality you find in battered spouses. I hope other cities at least learn a lesson here about the perils of coddling NFL teams and don't make the same dumb mistakes that St. Louis did.
I agree with you, but unless all cities lock arms (and they won't), then you run the risk of losing the NFL for 20 years like Los Angeles has when you draw that line in the sand.

Spanos would save the $550M relocation fee if he does not relocate. And given all the talk of a golden parachute for the team that doesn't relocate, I've been wondering why it hasn't come up that Spanos could elect to stay, avoid having to partner with Kroenke, which he reportedly does not want, let Davis become Kroenke's tenant, and get that golden parachute.

Who knows exactly how much that parachute is worth, but it could be a total swing for Spanos of $750M to $1B. He could afford to put a few hundred million into a plan with the city and pocket the rest and still end up with a beautiful state of the art stadium without leaving, increasing his revenue stream and the value of the franchise.

It seems like a win for San Diego and Spanos, were it not for Fabiani's scorched earth campaign over the past year. But I suppose if they negotiate a deal with San Diego, Fabiani can go away or into the background, and he was really the villain in the whole scenario. My guess is that Chargers fans would mostly let bygones be bygones.
What is the general sentiment around SD regarding funding a new stadium?

This is the worst part:

I agree with you, but unless all cities lock arms (and they won't), then you run the risk of losing the NFL for 20 years like Los Angeles has when you draw that line in the sand.
Let's be honest, how much of a loss it is really? Very few people attend games in person and the rest can watch on tv regardless of where the stadium is.

I have a dream that one day, public officials will start standing up to sports leagues and refusing to be extorted.
Step 1: File enough anti-trust lawsuits to remove the "No More Packers" rule, allowing more cities and fan conglomerates to own franchises. Why is Green Bay the exception? Let the city and its fan buy and manage its own team. That way you know it'll stay put when you spend public money on it.
I can solve it a lot quicker. Pass federal legislation that deducts education money based upon sports facility spending- dollar for dollar. No politician will ever again support funding a stadium if it means having to justify lower spending on schools.

This is the worst part:

One question though what happened to all the tax dollars brought in by the stadium, player income taxes, and tourism to downtown?

Oh right that was likely raided.

Irony is that the Rams insisted on an extra $100m be provided by NFL for their proposal. Under terms of the vote, the Raiders and Chargers will both get an extra $100m to work it out with their cities.

-QG

So what's the target date for them to start out West again? The 2018 season likely?
What do you mean? They are leaving to play the 2016 season in LA in the Coliseum. Their new stadium in Inglewood will be ready for the 2019 season.
yeah, i would guess they have to play in LA next year. would be weird to make this announcement and have them not move for another year or 2. would be a good way for the NFL to show games with no one at them.

Users who are viewing this thread