What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your best and worst trades of the past 2 years (1 Viewer)

doowain

Footballguy
I did a search and didn't come up with anything similar (at least not in the last 2 years). Forgive me if I missed it.

I thought this would be fun and to an extent informative. Often we follow the path of group think and make trades based on market value and not necessarily our gut feeling on players. Then sometimes we do. What follows are trades that you can look at a year or two later and say one of two things:

1. What the heck was I thinking?!

2. I'm a genius and the best ever!

Feel free to list your best/worst trades of the past two years and provide commentary or reasoning if you'd like. I'm thinking we'll see some similarities in guys that were bought low/high and sold low/high (ie - selling LeSean McCoy and keeping Beanie Wells two offseasons ago :bag: ) Also, include dates if possible so we have some form of context.

My two were incidentally in the same league, in the same offseason. I'll start with the worst, as it preceded the best.

Worst

Gave:

Demaryius Thomas

Fred Davis

Got:

Shonn Greene

Fri May 27 9:41:48 p.m. ET 2011

Best

Gave:

Shonn Greene

Kevin Kolb

Got:

Ryan Mathews

Sat Aug 20 5:04:26 p.m. ET 2011

Honorable Mention Best

Got:

Jamaal Charles

Jonathan Dwyer

Calvin Johnson

Gave:

Jahvid Best

Ryan Torain

Dwayne Bowe

Mon Oct 18 7:08:32 p.m. PT 2010

Notes: This followed Best's huge 50+ point game and was in the midst of Bowe's ridiculous TD stretch of 2010.

:popcorn:

gave kenney britt and felix jones last season for mike wallace.

was hating myself until the season ending injury in week 3. then :thumbup:

best:

MOX SF3

Jerome Harrison

For

Arian Foster

Right after Harrison blew up and Foster got benched for fumlbing. I wanted the handcuff to Steve Slaton, LMFAO!

2nd Best

MOX SF2

Ray Rice

and a first round pick

For Terrell owens.

This was in Ray Rice's rookie year, he blew out his shoulder and TO was on Dallas, I was rebuilding.

Worst:

wasnt a trade, but I lost patience with Jamaal Charles and cut his ####. UGH

Best:

Gave Frank Gore

Got Cam Newton

Gave Roddy White, Fred Jackson, Antonio Brown, Christian Ponder, 2011 2.10 (Martellus Bennett)

Got Chris Wells, AJ Green, 2011 1.03 (Doug Martin)

I can't find any trades that I made that I'd deem the worst, but some people think I gave up too much in this one:

Gave: Larry Fitzgerald, 2011 1.05 (Michael Floyd), Beanie Wells, Christian Ponder, Marcedes Lewis

Got: LeSean McCoy, Brandon Pettigrew

Although I did cut Darrius Heyward-Bey in week 4 last year.

Best:Gave Roddy White, Fred Jackson, Antonio Brown, Christian Ponder, 2011 2.10 (Martellus Bennett)Got Chris Wells, AJ Green, 2011 1.03 (Doug Martin)
Yowza. Well done. I can't figure out why anyone would've done this deal unless it was done a couple years ago with future 1sts involved.

I've made so many good and bad ones that I continually just balance myself out and tread water.

Probably my best in recent times was

I gave: (last pre-season)

Felix

Poz

McNabb

I got:

Drew Brees

Probably my worst (different league):

I gave:

Vernon Davis

3rd

I got:

Finley

This was a few years ago just RIGHT BEFORE Davis broke out. Finley went on to hurt himself and the 3rd round pick became Gronk...so, yeah.....

Best

Gave: Jermichael Finley

Got: Santonio Holmes, 2012 1st rd. pick (2nd overall) and 2013 & 2014 2nd round pick.

Worst:

Traded Tony Gonzalez for 2011 3rd rd pick.

First, the worst, from 2009 in a contract cap league:

Gave:

Calvin Johnson (4yr)

Got:

1.02 (Spiller), 1.09 (Golden Tate)

Had the best WR crop in the league: Calvin, Jennings, Austin, SS2 (after his 107/1220/7 season), and had nothing at RB (Portis/Grant). That said, in hindsight the trade was still horrible.

Best trade, last offseason:

Gave:

Boldin

Amendola

Got:

Lynch

Forsett

Decker

2nd

Just one of those times when the dice hit.

Easy for me.

Best

Traded Hassebeck for a 4th rounder.

Turned that 4th rounder into Rob Gronkowski. :excited:

Worst.

Traded Rob Gronkowski for Michael Bush. RB2 was a screaming need, and felt certain he would land in Cincinnati or other. :bag:

This is obviously before last season....

Worst

Team A gave up Boldin, Anquan BAL WR;Jones, James GBP WR;Celek, Brent PHI TE; Year 2010 Draft Pick 2.03

My Team gave up Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR;Williams, Roy DAL WR;Cook, Jared TEN TE; Year 2010 Draft Pick 1.05

Fri Feb 26 2:39:33 p.m. ET 2010

Celek was coming off a pretty solid season and I bought into Boldin in BAL hook-line-sinker.

Best

Team A gave up Newton, Cam CAR QB

My Team gave up Williams, Mike TBB WR

Fri Sep 23 12:48:56 a.m. ET 2011

I had just completed a pretty big 10 player deal and I received this 2 hours later.

Best:

Preseason last year, start 2 QB league, traded Chad Henne for Marshawn Lynch. Lynch ended up being RB5, his salary is cheap, can keep him for 3 years at $13 when last year he performed at the level of players with $70 contracts. Also, the other owner cut Henne for cap room after his injury and I was able to pick him back up and stash him on my IR.

Worst:

Don't really have any bad trades the last 2 years, but probably the one I would bargain harder on, nearing the trade deadline last year I gave TB Mike Williams and a rookie first (ended up being 1.11), for LB Navorro Bowman, Tim Tebow and a rookie 3rd (ended up being 3.10). I was losing Williams after 2012 for cap reasons. Top 3 LB Bowman filled my biggest hole and is worth the late 1st if he plays at that level. Tebow is a gamble but he's got a $1 contract, can be kept through 2015 and puts up fantasy points like a $50 QB. For a 2 QB league I'll take that gamble, especially as I don't have to rely on him to be a starter. I maybe could have gotten a future rookie 3rd or 4th round pick out of him if I'd bargained harder, but I was ok with the trade as it was.

Good:

Sent a 2010 2nd rnd rookie pick.

Got back Hakeem Nicks.

Sent 2012 1.10 rookie pick

Got back 2012 3.09 rookie pick and JStew

Bad:

Sent 2010 1.05 rookie

Got back Felix Jones

Sent Eric Decker

Got back 2012 2nd rnd rookie pick

At the time (midseason 2010) I didn’t think it was going to be bad but now it’s awful.

I gave up 2 2011 first's. Which turned into AJ Green and Mikael Leshoure

I got back LeGarrrette Blount Eddie Royal and 2011 2nd. Which turned into Kendall Hunter.

In this league, the teams who dont make the playoffs go into a lottery too choose draft order. I had 3 2011 firsts and gave up the picks of teams, at the time of trade, that were in the playoffs. Things happened and they didn't make the playoffs and looking back this trade is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You witnessed it first hand in Unsportsmanlike Conduct this past Summer.

I remember it like it was yesterday. A cold, rainy night.

I had tried to get Sidney Rice all off-season to no avail. Forty offers or more, overpaying, and still, Sid was behind held at a WR10 value. But I agreed with that value, so I didn't mind ponying up for it.

After long meetings in the war room, both sides were convinced the only way I was getting Sid was to deal AJ Green. But I would also be getting a 2012 1st (developmental league, "watered down", but it looked early), so I did the trade.

GAVE AJ M.F. Green

GOT Sidney Rice, Team A's 2013 1st

But it wasn't over.

In November, with Trent/Wilson in the wings, and Spiller playing second fiddle to the All-Pro start from Fred, I had to be safe. A start 1 RB league with Shady alone could be dangerous, and I wanted to repeat badly. And so, against my better judgment (the only league I owned this guy too), I did the following:

GAVE Team A's 2013 1st

GOT Fred Jackson, Team B's 2013 2nd

Team B's 2nd was early (Posey), and Team A's 1st was, as expected, early at 1.4 (K Wright).

The net of this disastrous duo of trades is as follows:

GAVE AJ M.F. Green

GOT Fred Jackson, Sidney Rice, Devier Posey

So I dealt one of my top bookends in the format (PPR, start up to 5 WR) for guys that contributed zilch for me, and probably never will.

With Sid's current value, you hold and hope for the now ceiling of WR20-25 in a dynasty ranking, perhaps 5th round overall ceiling now. He is my short-term WR6 behind Dez, Julio, Nicks, Wallace, DT, but Little, Baldwin, Jenkins just wait in the cut to take his spot on the depth chart. And now that Trent and Wilson have been added to McCoy and Spiller, Fred is worthless to me and nearly worthless to most all buyers.

This was easily my worst deal of all-time, and I had to get it off of my chest. I deserve a scarlet letter for this.

Worst...

Added Peyton Manning in last years off season for a couple draft picks.

Was the difference between taking 3rd and probably winning the title.

I was locked into drafting Stafford until I acquired Manning.

I hope you find comfort in your admission.Also, don't forget --You gave:Jamaal CharlesKenny BrittYou got:Arrelious BennDez BryantLuckily for the rest of us in that league, you made these deals. Now back away from the edge of the cliff...

I hope you find comfort in your admission.Also, don't forget --You gave:Jamaal CharlesKenny BrittYou got:Arrelious BennDez BryantLuckily for the rest of us in that league, you made these deals. Now back away from the edge of the cliff...
Wait just a second here. I made this deal knowing I could deal Benn into Demaryius Thomas, and did so not a day afterward. I gave Charles and Britt for Dez and Demaryius. So we both won.

Wait just a second here. I made this deal knowing I could deal Benn into Demaryius Thomas, and did so not a day afterward. I gave Charles and Britt for Dez and Demaryius. So we both won.
So you did your best and worst deals in back to back days. That's a big swing. Had you been drinking heavily one of those days? :banned:

14 team league

Best (VJack holdout era):

Gave

Edwards, Trent JAC QB

Collie, Austin IND WR

Morgan, Josh SFO WR

Year 2011 Round 3 Draft Pick (became Hankerson, Leonard WAS WR)

Got

Jackson, Vincent SDC WR

Summers, Frank FA RB (roster cut)

Brown, Kris DAL PK (roster cut)

Combo worst:

Gave

Johnson, Steve BUF WR

Got

Year 2011 Round 2 Draft Pick (2.06)

Then add in...

Gave

Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

Year 2011 Round 2 Draft Pick (2.11) - became Lewis, Dion PHI RB

Year 2011 Round 2 Draft Pick (2.06) - from above

Got

Parker, Willie FA* RB

Year 2011 Round 1 Draft Pick (1.11)

Followed it up with...

Gave

Benson, Cedric CIN RB

Year 2011 Draft Pick 1.11 (became Murray, Demarco DAL RB)

Got

Year 2011 Draft Pick 1.05 (became Williams, Ryan ARI RB)

In total it came to giving:

Murray, Demarco DAL RB

Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

Benson, Cedric CIN RB

Lewis, Dion PHI RB

Johnson, Steve BUF WR

For:

Ryan Willams, a knee cap in the thigh, and 1 lost year thus far.

Combo worst:

Gave

Johnson, Steve BUF WR

Got

Year 2011 Round 2 Draft Pick (2.06)

Why did you do this trade? At the time he was young and promising.

Best trade: last year

Gave: Shonn Greene

Got: 2011 2nd round pick (used on Jimmy Graham)

Worst: last year

Gave: Matt Forte, Beanie Wells, London Fletcher, Jeremy Maclin, Joe Mays

Got: Rashard Mendenhall, 2 first round picks

Last year during the pre-season, for some asinine reason I had to have Pierre Thomas on my team because I took Ingram (bad move already). I guess I thought the Saints running game would be very good, which I guess it was, but not from either of the bums

I Traded: Gronk and some scrub RB I cant even recall

I Got: Pierre le poo

Worst trade Ive ever made, by a wide margin

Gave:

Steve Smith

Willis McGahee

2012 2nd Rounder

2012 3rd Rounder

Received:

Greg Jennings

Greg Olsen

Turned Olsen and James Starks into Beanie Wells but that's up in the air. Smith and McGahee were on fire and Jennings lost his spotlight to Nelson when I pulled off this trade. Still can't believe the other guy accepted.

Haven't made a bad trade but that's probably because my leagues don't have much trading activity.

Combo worst:Gave Johnson, Steve BUF WRGotYear 2011 Round 2 Draft Pick (2.06)Why did you do this trade? At the time he was young and promising.
At the time Fitz wasn't secure in the job and Lee Evans was still around. I basically traded my 5th round selection Stevie Johnson for a future 2nd when Stevie was mentioned as a probable starter during the pre-season. Stevie and Fitz broke out and it turned into a bad trade for me.

Best - last year after rookie drafts Reggie Wayne and my late 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round rookie picks for AJ Green.

Worst - last year mid season having some depth at QB I traded Cam Newton for Vincent Jackson and a 3rd round rookie pick. I thought I was selling high. Newton continued to have an amazing rookie campaign. Not a monster mistake, but I could have got a lot more for Newton had I waited until this season to trade him.

I guess my best was getting J. Charles and a late 2nd round rookie pick for the 1.10 pick. It happened just before he came in halfway through the season as a starter and finished strong.

Worst was when I turned down a trade offer extended to me: His Ray Rice for some forgettable scrub I ended up throwing back to the waiver wire later. Rice was still a backup then. I still hate myself now.

All guys I pulled off the junk pile or free agency...

QB Michael Vick

RB Arian Foster

WR Steve Johnson

Worst...

Randy Moss for a 2nd in the summer of 2011 and i owned Victor Cruz at the end of 2010...cut him the summer of 2011, oh good gravy that hurts.

Worst :

After Daniel Thomas was drafted, I traded Reggie Bush for Ronnie Brown thinking he may get picked up by a team and have another year or 2 of decent production.

Best : just after Jerome Harrison went crazy in ff, I traded him and Devon Bess for Hakeem Nicks (in his rookie season) and a 2nd round pick which was used to draft Mike Williams who was traded at a later date for Big Ben

Different leagues here but we'll work up to the worst.

Gave

Wells

Antonio Brown

2013 draft (all picks)

For Demarco Murray

I've since traded Murray but I regret this one.

This is the worst. Happened just after Britt showed up totally out of shape etc and I just wanted rid.

Gave Britt

Got James Jones (thanks EBF)

Best one was probably two trades I made to end up getting Griffin.

Gave

Flynn (just after Det game)

Benn

McKnight

For

Then gave 1.05 and some 3rd rounder plus Carlson and Lumpkin for the 1.03.

Thought of another...

Best:

Gave Addai and what wound up being the 2012 2.04 rookie pick

Got back what wound up being the 2012 1.01 (Trent)

Made the trade in November of 2010

Worst of all time:

Gave: Clinton Portis

Got: Peerless Price

This was prior to Week 10 of 2002. It literally cost me a championship.

Worst dynasty trade:

Gave: DeSean Jackson, Ahmed Bradshaw, 2012 2nd, 2013 2nd

Got: Roddy White

This was during the 2011 preseason. Roddy produced as advertised, so it wasn't a total loss, but that was a ridculous amount to give up.

Best dynasty trade:

Gave: Jamaal Charles

Got: Calvin Johnson

This went down half an hour before kickoff in Week Two of last year. I felt so bad for the other guy. Still do to be honest with you. It wasn't anybody's fault and we've all been on the wrong end of a trade like that at one point or another, but it still sucks.

Best

Jackie battle

For

Demaryius Thomas

---------------------------

Mike Wallace

Owen Daniels

Two third rounders this year

For

Julio jones

Jimmy graham

Tebow

Future first (ended up being 1.8 this year)

-----------------------------

Legarette Blount

Eddie royal

2nd rounder

For

Two firsts that turned into aj green and leshoure

--------------------------------

Worst

McFadden

For

Kolb

Second rounder

Worst-last year I was desperate for picks in a 12 team 2-man keeper league..traded Calvin Johnson for a 3rd round pick (basically a 5th rounder).

Best-Also last year around week 8, I was reeling from trading Calvin, who by this time had about 12 TD's. My #1 WR was Julio Jones. Through a series of trades with 3 other teams I turned Eli Manning and a third round pick into Larry Fitzgerald and Roddy White. Won my first championship with those trades. :thumbup:

Best trade I made this year

Gave Julio Jones, Jermaine Gresham and DeAngelo Williams

Got Rob Gronkowski, Mark Ingram and Early Doucet.

This league was a start 1TE, 1/2 PPR league. Got Gronkowski right after his poor game in Week 5 or so. After that week, he went on a tear that no TE ever did.......timing was perfect.

Worse trade I made last year was a minor one.

Gave Vincent Jackson

Got Owen Daniels

I was stacked at WR with AJ, Colston, VJax, AJ Green and A Brown and needed a TE really bad. Of course the week after the trade VJax explodes and Daniels didn't do garbage for the rest of the year.....didn't help that Schaub got hurt.

My worst is easy and it's a twofer.

Before 2010 draft gave Hakeem Nicks for 1.7 because I was big on Demaryius Thomas. Nicks blew up, DT blew out an achilles. Given his injury I was happy to trade DT for 1.12 before the next draft because I didn't think he would ever be a viable player again. I took Hankerson with 1.12, who I have since cut.

One that I'm proud of:

I took a little heat giving up Felix Jones and Todd Heap for Donald Brown and Kellen Winslow before the 2010. I thought Felix was a fraud, I was higher than I should have been on Brown, and needed the upgrade at TE. I won this one on both sides.

Somewhat in the same genre...but not exactly, but great story nonetheless:

Keep 3 local FBG league...new guy (not FBG) has 1.01 in draft:

Using MFL, the system hangs up for over 30 minutes, as this guy tries to draft Peyton Manning. Out of the gate, with Matt Forte sitting there, most of us are IM'ing, like "is this guy nuts"...obviously he was asleep for 4 weeks and did not realize Manning was a risky pick (this is late August of 2011)...best part is, the system, literally did not want him to make the pick...for some reason, it would not allow him to do it...(MFL is truly idiot proof)...finally, 30 minutes into the first pick of our draft, guy is allowed to make a selection and picks Manning. Now, two minutes in, no one is saying anything; five minutes in there are snickers...by 15 minutes, people just want this draft to move, and are posting how he is hurt, but bless this guy, he stands by his convictions...and picks a player NO ONE thought would play a single down for him.

I know this is not a trade, but darn, it could be the worst move i have ever seen considering the continual warnings he got for the last 15 minutes, just so the draft would move...

Worst

July of last year:

Gave:

Steve Smith (Car.)

Jordy Nelson

Joseph Addai

1.10 (I'd have taken Andrew Luck as a devy, he took Delone Carter)

Got:

Santonio Holmes

3.01 (I took Lamichael James as a devy)

At the time, Holmes was a FA. Greg Cosell was raving about him on twitter, saying he was a top 5 WR talent. I'm a big Buckeye fan which probably clouded my judgment. I was hoping he ended up replacing Santana Moss (also a FA) in Washington where Shanny WRs always seem to produce (and Moss had a big year there in 2010). I remember thinking he could be a top 10 fantasy WR.

I'd just heard an interview with Steve Smith where he sounded like he thought his big seasons were all well in his past. Liked Jordy but didn't expect his big 2011. Knew there would be good talent at 1.10 (which I considered the prime piece of the trade), but was willing to overpay for Holmes.

This one definitely hurt. Only small consolation is that I may not have taken Cam Newton in the 2nd had I stayed put and taken Luck, but still. Gave up probably the 2 biggest surprise WRs of 2011 in the same trade for one of the worst surprise guys.

Users who are viewing this thread