What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Fitness Pal (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
It's pretty cool. Just joined online and downloaded the droid app. You put in your food and exercise and it tells you what you have to do to lose the specified pounds. Pretty awesome I must say.

Thumbs up.

I use it and I am dropping serious weight. Amazing how things can change when you know how many calories something is. I also find myself doing more cardio so I can drink beer guilt free. :bag:

:banned:

I started in January, as prosopis said, makes a huge difference when you know just how many calories that Big Mac meal costs you in a day. Key to it is logging every day, can't take time off and have it be an effective tool.

FBG's group? Que?

I do disagree with some of their estimates for burning calories for different exercises.

For example, if I lift weights for 60 minutes, it's saying I'll burn 293 calories.

If I run for 60 minutes at a 5.2 mph pace, it's saying I'll burn 878.

I'm not saying that the two should be even, but the weight lifting calories should definitely be higher than 293.

I do disagree with some of their estimates for burning calories for different exercises.For example, if I lift weights for 60 minutes, it's saying I'll burn 293 calories.If I run for 60 minutes at a 5.2 mph pace, it's saying I'll burn 878.I'm not saying that the two should be even, but the weight lifting calories should definitely be higher than 293.
I think the running should be lower than 878 too. But calorie counters in general are notoriously inaccurate so I wouldn't put much stock in any of them.

another good app to use is Fooducate. Using the bar code scanner to get the grades for some of the grocery store items I pick up is pretty eye opening.

Been using myfitnesspal for about 6 months and was using loseit for about 6 months before that. Definitely a great app. Have lost about 55 lbs since i started keeping track of what i ate. Very helpful.

I do disagree with some of their estimates for burning calories for different exercises.For example, if I lift weights for 60 minutes, it's saying I'll burn 293 calories.If I run for 60 minutes at a 5.2 mph pace, it's saying I'll burn 878.I'm not saying that the two should be even, but the weight lifting calories should definitely be higher than 293.
Ive found their exercise estimates to be way too high.

I used it for a few months and it worked great. It gives you awesome perspective on how many calories are in things. I don't even need to use it anymore, just what I learned with a few months of using it has totally turned my lifestyle around. Now I just go around inwardly laughing/scoffing at the people that think they're being "healthy" and really aren't. A lot of people go to Subway because it's a "healthy" place but probably 95% of the things I see people order in there are worse for you than a Big Mac, with many of them being 2x as many calories or more for something that "seems" healthy.

It also gives you some good insight on stuff that can satisfy your cravings without destroying you. A Big Mac isn't *that* bad for you. It's when you combine it with fries and a 32oz soda or milkshake that things really get out of hand. To satisfy my burger cravings every couple of weeks I'll grab a bag of baked lays and grab a Big Mac with it for lunch. ~800 calories for a "cheat" meal that puts that greasy burger urge back at bay is a great deal.

The iPhone version of the app also gives you a pretty cool graph that really helps (my wife has an Android phone and couldn't find that option on the Android version of the app). It's really good because the graph turns red when you're failing your goal and that really calls out to your competitive spirit to get your #### in check and get that graph green again.

That running estimate is high (at ~180lbs you'd burn roughly 110 calories per mile, so it should be around 570 calories for the run), but the weight lifting estimate is high as well. If you think lifting weights even comes close to burning as many calories as running then you're sorely mistaken.Weight training will help in the long run as added muscle does increase your metabolism a bit, but from a pure calorie burn perspective the two aren't even close. Plus, increased metabolism (and weight-lifting in general) is going to make you eat more anyway.

I used it for a few months and it worked great. It gives you awesome perspective on how many calories are in things. I don't even need to use it anymore, just what I learned with a few months of using it has totally turned my lifestyle around. Now I just go around inwardly laughing/scoffing at the people that think they're being "healthy" and really aren't. A lot of people go to Subway because it's a "healthy" place but probably 95% of the things I see people order in there are worse for you than a Big Mac, with many of them being 2x as many calories or more for something that "seems" healthy.

It also gives you some good insight on stuff that can satisfy your cravings without destroying you. A Big Mac isn't *that* bad for you. It's when you combine it with fries and a 32oz soda or milkshake that things really get out of hand. To satisfy my burger cravings every couple of weeks I'll grab a bag of baked lays and grab a Big Mac with it for lunch. ~800 calories for a "cheat" meal that puts that greasy burger urge back at bay is a great deal.

The iPhone version of the app also gives you a pretty cool graph that really helps (my wife has an Android phone and couldn't find that option on the Android version of the app). It's really good because the graph turns red when you're failing your goal and that really calls out to your competitive spirit to get your #### in check and get that graph green again.
On your first pt, I am there right now. I can tell you how many calories are in 90% of foods without even looking them up now. I still use the site but often times I find myself only logging breakfast & lunch so I know how many calories I have left for dinnerOn your second point, this is so true. I try to eat around 600 calories for dinner. If one day Im craving pizza, I'll only eat 2 slice and thatll be 700 calories. As long as I dont eat a 3rd slice (which I used to do) or anything else for dinner its not even like a cheat meal.

That running estimate is high (at ~180lbs you'd burn roughly 110 calories per mile, so it should be around 570 calories for the run), but the weight lifting estimate is high as well. If you think lifting weights even comes close to burning as many calories as running then you're sorely mistaken.Weight training will help in the long run as added muscle does increase your metabolism a bit, but from a pure calorie burn perspective the two aren't even close. Plus, increased metabolism (and weight-lifting in general) is going to make you eat more anyway.
I usually weight lift for a half hour and estimate about 100 calories

feel free to friend request meshadyridr@yahoo.com
Sent :thumbup:
Well it also depends on your level of effort. If you're running at a 5.2mph pace and your heart rate is 170 you are working harder i.e. burning more calories than if you are the same pace and your heart rate is 120. It's tough to blanket calories because everyone is so different and at different spots in their fitness cycle.The one I really like is the mowing the yard estimate or outdoor work. Those are insanely high, I typically dial them back by about 3/4 of their estimates.

Down 10 pounds in a little over a month and I definitely cheated (beer, McDonalds, etc.) during that time.

:thumbup:

would you trust the machine at the gym for # of calories burned, or whatever it said on the myfitnesspal site? Assume gym, right? And I know neither are exact

would you trust the machine at the gym for # of calories burned, or whatever it said on the myfitnesspal site? Assume gym, right? And I know neither are exact
Gym, always. Running is pretty close on MFP but everything else is nuts. Example, helped a guy move yesterday for 3 hrs or 180 minutes. MFP told me I burned 2466 calories. I'd have to run a marathon to burn that amount of calories.

Thanks for the tip on this guys... looks awesome :thumbup:

I'm down around 10 lbs in the last month but still have about 50 to go. Every little bit helps!

Thanks for the tip on this guys... looks awesome :thumbup:

I'm down around 10 lbs in the last month but still have about 50 to go. Every little bit helps!
Yep, this thing is great as long as you keep up with it. Don't slack is my biggest bit of advice. I've hit my target weight, a while ago actually, and still use this religiously everyday. Great little app for those of us that need that extra little bit of motivation :thumbup:

Been using this for a few months now... down nearly 30lbs. I am a fan.

P.S. I need new clothes

I would lean towards the gym equipment number but I'd do some quick research on-line. The gym equipment tends to be off sometimes.

I highly recommend this to anyone I know who is looking to lose weight. It's amazing how much you realise you eat when you start using this thing. I actually hated imputting high calorie foods, so the idea of having to log it made me stop.

I used it for about 6 months and lost around 35lbs. I don't need to use it anymore since it really taught me a lot about portion control and eating the right foods. I still eat everything I want, I just eat smaller portions or compensate. If I want a donut, I'll only eat half and then add more veggies for lunch.

So is myfitnesspal > lose it? I used lose it and lost over 50 lbs from Jan to may. Have lost my focus some this summer and am looking to get back in track.

So is myfitnesspal > lose it? I used lose it and lost over 50 lbs from Jan to may. Have lost my focus some this summer and am looking to get back in track.
Much better than loseit. I used loseit for about a year, once i tried myfitnesspal i switched over.

Biggest thing I found with MFP was it has everything in there. I've been using it since January and other than some craft beers I'd be hard pressed to count on one hand how many times I've not been able to find something in the food listings. Easy to use, easy to put frequently used meals together. Highly recommend it :thumbup:

Been needing a little extra motivation to help with those 5 lbs that are tough to shed. Just signed up for this.

ETA: Biggest thing for me will be just remembering to enter things throughout the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would lean towards the gym equipment number but I'd do some quick research on-line. The gym equipment tends to be off sometimes.
I wouldn't rely on either number. The whole thing is varies greatly between individuals and machines. The best way to go would probably be to get a heart rate monitor that you can program your age, weight & VO2 max into and use that.

Every once in a while I get back into the app to see where I am with my eating. It definitely pointed me in the right direction on a lot of things, especially my sugar intake. Now I just drink water or flavored seltzer. Except for beer though. That's the one thing that pushes me over my caloric intake on some days but I can live with that. I'm right about where I want to be at 6'3" 195lbs. :thumbup:

It really doesn't matter which app like this you use as long as you actually use it.

Entering all of the data seems like a pain in the ### but since people are actually getting results I'll get it a shot.

I don't eat bad often, I think it's beer that keeps me 10-15lbs over where I want to be.

I'm right about where I want to be at 6'3" 195lbs
What's your 40 time and how much do you bench tough guy?
Entering all of the data seems like a pain in the ### but since people are actually getting results I'll get it a shot.
It is a PITA at first but after the first week most people tend to eat the same thing so you simply pick from a list of food you've already entered. If you eat the same thing everyday for a meal you have the option to make it a "meal" on MFP and then simply choose that instead of entering everything over & over.

Joined a couple of weeks ago. Realized that my "go to" beer for getting drunk quickly is 590 calories for 24oz. :shock:

Used it a lot when I went from 300 down to 225. I am thinking about starting it again, really will make you feel terrible about the stuff you put in your mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread