What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk to me about Myrtle Beach (1 Viewer)

Mr. Chumley

Footballguy
I've never been to Myrtle beach but may plan a family trip there this summer. I have no idae what area to stay in where to eat or what there is to do. Any locals that can help a fellow FBG out with some info. Any one able to compare Myrtle Beach with the Destin Ft. Walton area?

For a family vacation? Sorry not sure I can help,

I guess somewhere in the boardwalk area :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not what I was hoping to hear. The only reason we are headed that way is to visit family that lives close by. I thought we could do that then hit the beach. Any other family friendly vacation spots in that area?

Don't worry if you forgot to pack the towels. You might be able to find one on clearance/discount somewhere. If you get lucky.

Not what I was hoping to hear. The only reason we are headed that way is to visit family that lives close by. I thought we could do that then hit the beach. Any other family friendly vacation spots in that area?
Myrtle is fine for that. Just look for a place in North Myrtle.

Yeah, or the Murrell's Inlet area. The strip near Myrtle itself is just way too packed and touristy for my tastes. I enjoy the area much more when I stay near one of the quieter beaches nearby. You can still get to any of the attractions you want to. YMMV though. I always try to make my way to Horst Gast Haus while I am in the area for good eats.

Thanks, I would prefer a quieter area. Is the Murrell's Inlet area north?

Oh yea, love some good seafood. Where should I go?

First off, I would definitely stay in North Myrtle versus Myrtle proper. If you are not commuting back and forth between family and the beach, I would actually consider staying in a southern North Carolina beach town like Sunset Beach and Ocean Isle Beach...great places for the family, and the amusements, etc. of Myrtle Beach are only about 35 minutes away.

Wife's aunt gave us her timeshare in Myrtle Beach for our honeymoon. We got down there, right into the middle of high schooler Spring Break. Coupled with a horrible hotel experience, we spent one night and left. I would avoid it, and go somewhere like Destin or Orange Beach, AL.

Yeah, or the Murrell's Inlet area. The strip near Myrtle itself is just way too packed and touristy for my tastes. I enjoy the area much more when I stay near one of the quieter beaches nearby. You can still get to any of the attractions you want to. YMMV though. I always try to make my way to Horst Gast Haus while I am in the area for good eats.
Or even further north in Cherry Grove.

Haven't been to Myrtle Beach for a few years. We went to Cherry Grove, which is the last exit on 17 before you hit NC.

Quiet, family-friendly, mostly single rental home, not huge Condos.

http://www.century21thomas.com/north-myrtle-beach-new-vacation-rentals.htm

Island is narrow enough that you can get a Channel home and still only be a 2 block walk to the beach.

ETA: We stayed in this home the last year we went. Nice place and it looks like they added a game room since then.

http://www.century21thomas.com/north-myrtle-beach/cherry-grove-section/vacation-rental/house/suncatcher/SUNCAT

The other thing about staying north of town is that the golf courses near the state line or just over it are pretty affordable.

I have a Marriott timeshare in Myrtle Beach (for about 8 or so years now) and have two boys ages 4 and 6. The resort we stay it is more considered North Myrtle (it is up near the Pirate's Voyage show location) and we really love it. Not sure what you are looking to spend for your stay, but when you get to North Myrtle (at least close to where the Marriott is) the beach crowd really thins out and there isn't public street access to it which probably helps this. There are tons of good restaurants and things to do with kids (at least my kids age...and I think more for older kids most likely). Give me some ideas of things you generally like (or don't like) and then I can rattle off ideas from there. Offhand, here are restaurants we like:

Hamburger Joe's (behind the Olive Garden near Barefoot Landing) - great basic burgers, fries, cheap meal.

Joe's Bar and Grill (same owners as above, nicer restaurant...all things being equal though I'd rather do Hamburger Joe's or some other options, but this one is fine)

House of Blues (just for the gospel brunch)

Cafe Old Vienna (more near the "main" area of Myrtle Beach - great Austrian/German food)

Seascapes (located in a resort on the ICW, but really good food and fresh...for dessert they bring the kids freshly made cotton candy)

Mexico Lindo (really good Messican food here)

Greg Norman's Australian Grill (we often go here for our "nice meal out"...food is always great)

River City Cafe (cool creative burger menu, really kid friendly)

Nibil's (good for breakfast)

Good stuff here. We like being right on the beach. We always get a gulf front Condo in Destin. I guess the must haves are a beach front condo and good seafood. We may hit some go cart tracks and if they have any outlets close by, the wife likes to spend at least half a day doing some shopping. Is there just a huge difference in water temp between Destin and MB?

You can probably find better deals, but here is where I stay. You'll need to create a free account to see the listings here. It is directly on the beach and has no public beach access. All units are 2BR, 2BA and nicely kept. There are plenty of good seafood options and go-carts are about a 10-12 minute drive south (down near the main strip, where you probably don't want to stay). Outlets are about a 5 minute drive north. Can't say about water temp in Destin, but here is the info for Myrtle.

We've stayed at a condo called the Ashworth a couple of times. It is right on the edge of North Myrtle before you head into Cherry Grove. Pools and lazy river were meh for me, but kids loved it. Paying for an umbrella and chairs on the beach is worth it just to save your "spot" if you are going to stay a week.

attractions include mini golf, overpriced touristy shopping at Barefoot Landing, Broadway on the Beach, mini golf, and Putt Putt. Also there are roughly 5000 shops called Waves, Eagle, etc. that are full of schlocky beach crap.

The kids really loved the big inflatable slide they set up on the beach by us. I think $20 let them ride it all day.

The condo itself was clean and decently furnished with a nice balcony facing the beach.

The pirate show that replaced Dixie Stampede was cheesy but the kids loved it, although they wasted pretty much their entire plates of food and of course you enter and exit through the gift shop. That one was a one and done for us. Next time we will likely just order in pizza another night, save the cash, and spend another evening just doing beach stuff.

Plans have changed. We won't be satying as long as I thought and now we are looking for a hotel. Something clean with a nice pool. Something with a seperate sitting area would ber best but not a deal breaker. Any suggestions?

I stayed at the barefoot resort in north myrtle this week. I was in one of the villas but I think they have hotel type rooms in the towers. The place was nice and clean each of the villa sections had their own pool. The property is near the house of blues.

My link

I stayed at the barefoot resort in north myrtle this week. I was in one of the villas but I think they have hotel type rooms in the towers. The place was nice and clean each of the villa sections had their own pool. The property is near the house of blues.

My link
Wife is set on staying on the beach. Anyone know anything aboout the Ocean Drive Beach and Golf Resort?

Haven't been there in a few years. Thought I'd mention that you might want to check when they have one of their Bike Weeks. I think there were 3 different bike weeks during the year. There might be some less than family oriented activities going on then. Some people don't like visiting during those weeks.

Haven't been there in a few years. Thought I'd mention that you might want to check when they have one of their Bike Weeks. I think there were 3 different bike weeks during the year. There might be some less than family oriented activities going on then. Some people don't like visiting during those weeks.
They just had two of their bike weeks last month. The next isn't until the first week of October.

Stayed at the Anderson & the Camelot recently. I'd recommend the Anderson between the two. Camelot was full up of college kids, not a quality family atmosphere.

You're all a bunch of whiny, cranky introverts. Waah I gotta hide from the touristy areas, I don't want people around.

Try Garden City.. Low-key, yet still the mild touristy feel you want on vacation. The pier is great day or night. Food, bands, and within 20mins of Myrtle beach attractions... I go every year..

Look it up

We stayed at The Dunes resort two weeks ago. Family friendly resort. Nice place. Two indoor water parks, two outdoor pools, activities for kids everyday, and it is right on the beach.

I prefer Huntington Beach State park south of Myrtle, but this beach was still nice.

If you have time, take a trip down to Pawley's Island, a bit south of Myrtle. It is free, and your kids will find a ton of intact shells. They can even find live star fish. We let them crawl around on the kids then put them back. We did this last year too and it is all they talked about for about a year.

We've stayed at a few places in the northern part of Myrtle, but not quite all the way up in North Myrtle. One was Dunes Village, the other was Monterey Bay Suites. They were both pretty nice and right on the beach.

Our family will be headed to Myrtle Beach for a week in mid August. We’ve been doing an annual trip down there from the Northeast for about 7 years (my in-laws have a place). Always a good time, and lots of different stuff to do. Last year, we took a day trip to Savannah, and loved it. Have also taken a day trip to Charleston in the past, and enjoyed that as well. Any other comparable day trip destinations about the same distance away that one would recommend?

I grew up in NC and went to mytle a lot growing up. Loved it foe senior week of high school. I now hate mytle beach but if you have to go there stay north. Cherry Grove is a good reccomondation. A lot has changed there over the years some am useless for any food reccomondations now.

I hope it turns out differently for you and that the fam has a good time.

Anyone done the pirate show? Looks kind of like the Dixie Stampede in Pigeon Forge. Do we need reservations a couple weeks out?

Bump for any suggestions where to stay in North Myrtle and best value for golf for not too serious golfers. Is Barefoot Landing best place to stay and have plaes to go out at night? Hotel or condo rental?

Users who are viewing this thread