What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs that are better than the original (2 Viewers)

Hurt - Johnny CashOriginal by Nine Inch Nails
:goodposting:
See...I love Cash and all...but I think that is one of the most overrated covers of all time.I dig the orginal and was never a fan of Cash's version.
That is more about Romanek's video and Rick Rubin's song selection than it is with Cash's delivery or anything. Against the backdrop of his life and age, it became something else. But it's about the video.

See...I love Cash and all...but I think that is one of the most overrated covers of all time.I dig the orginal and was never a fan of Cash's version.
I always found Cash's version to be a lot more "authentic"
Don't. Take that back. Do NOT f##king drag me into this again. I'm begging you. Just redact the statement.

More authentic than the author's rendering?
Someone please just say no, it can't be more authentic than the original. Just do this for me so I don't have to have this fight again. I'm sure it's the thread Belljr linked earlier in which I had this same argument before - I don't have the energy to do it again.

Britny Fox did a version of Gudbuy T' Jane that I liked better than Slade's original
Prompts two questions:1) Is anything Britny Fox ever did a negative? It took me a grand total of about 19 seconds to learn how to play "Girlschool" and "Long Way to Love" on guitar when I was in HS and I'd bet they're 2 of the handful of songs I could still play if I picked my guitar up today. All I needed was someone to blast me in the nuts with a taser when I sang it and you never would have known it was a cover.

2) Did Slade ever record a song that wasn't done better by someone else? :lol:

Sloop John B – Beach Boys (rework of “The Wreck of the John B”)

I Can Hear Music – Beach Boys

I also really like the Beach Boys cover of Do You Wanna Dance.

Britny Fox did a version of Gudbuy T' Jane that I liked better than Slade's original
Prompts two questions:1) Is anything Britny Fox ever did a negative? It took me a grand total of about 19 seconds to learn how to play "Girlschool" and "Long Way to Love" on guitar when I was in HS and I'd bet they're 2 of the handful of songs I could still play if I picked my guitar up today. All I needed was someone to blast me in the nuts with a taser when I sang it and you never would have known it was a cover.

Aaaand?....

:thumbup: I was going to list other Slade's covers but decided against it. Quiet Riot pretty much covered an entire Slade album.

"Blinded By The Light"

Manfred Mann's Earth Band > Springsteen

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of the Jayhawks, so I am obviously biased, but their version of "bad time" is much better than grand funk railroad's original IMO.

Because the Night - 10,000 Maniacs

Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana

You Really got Me - Van Halen

It bothers me tremendously that Whitney Houston and Reba McEntire were both listed in this thread, and EG was in here all before anyone mentioned Killswitch Engage "Holy Diver."

It bothers me tremendously that Whitney Houston and Reba McEntire were both listed in this thread, and EG was in here all before anyone mentioned Killswitch Engage "Holy Diver."
It's a great cover, but in order for me to ever call a cover better than the original, it has to really stand out. I still love the original so to me it's more of a cool novelty than a reinvention in the way that say, Manson's "Sweet Dreams" was.

I'll punch anyone in the nuts who suggests Dixie Chicks "Landslide" is better than Fleetwood Mac's

"Personal Jesus" and "Another Brick In The Wall" - Marilyn Manson

I also like "Tainted Love" and "Sweet Dreams" but probably prefer the originals.

I'll punch anyone in the nuts who suggests Dixie Chicks "Landslide" is better than Fleetwood Mac's
That not a fraction as wrong as your heart shaped box reference. Not only a perfect song but one of Albini's masterworks as well. And I'm no Nivana fanboy by any stretch. But that's insane.And it is you bringing up the Dixie Chicks. Didn't know they covered landslide. Billy Corgans is the only cover I'm aware of.

That not a fraction as wrong as your heart shaped box reference. Not only a perfect song but one of Albini's masterworks as well. And I'm no Nivana fanboy by any stretch. But that's insane.And it is you bringing up the Dixie Chicks. Didn't know they covered landslide. Billy Corgans is the only cover I'm aware of.
I was sure that people would pick up on the schtick with the Heart Shaped Box.

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Original by Nine Inch Nails
Someone please just say no, it can't be more authentic than the original. Just do this for me so I don't have to have this fight again. I'm sure it's the thread Belljr linked earlier in which I had this same argument before - I don't have the energy to do it again.
Why can't it? The Johnny Cash cover is more authentic. The Trent Reznor version is overly-dramatic and a tad phony IMO.

Hurt - Johnny Cash

Why can't it? The Johnny Cash cover is more authentic. The Trent Reznor version is overly-dramatic and a tad phony IMO.
What? Do you understand what authentic means? This is like saying the Venetian hotel in Vegas is more authentic than Venice because Venice has some weird smells floating around it and there are bums on the street corners.

"Superstar"

Carpenters over Delaney & Bonnie (called "Groupie" (Superstar))

The original is great, but Karen takes that tune to a new level.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

What? Do you understand what authentic means? This is like saying the Venetian hotel in Vegas is more authentic than Venice because Venice has some weird smells floating around it and there are bums on the street corners.
I'm only referring to how the song is performed. Cash's performance is more authentic IMO.

Any one of them that was originally done by Bob Dylan. Musical icon to be sure but I can't stand listening to him at all.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
I'm only referring to how the song is performed. Cash's performance is more authentic IMO.
So your answer is "no".

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'medium aristotle said:
'sho nuff said:
'medium aristotle said:
'Klimtology said:
Hurt - Johnny Cash

It cannot be. You can LIKE it better, but it's not more authentic. This is the equivalent of you writing a poem about the darkest, most despairing moment of your life. Imagine you were teetering on the brink of suicide and poured those emotions out on to paper. It was everything you were, the most intense emotional experience of your life. You had the stones to go on the air (imagine the world cared about what you or I was going through, not just famous people) and read this poem. Then, a year or so later, Morgan Freeman re-read it at an inaugural address or something. And America said - "The Freeman reading was so much more authentic. I wasn't really buying it when medium aristotle read that poem, it rang hollow and seemed like the emotion was artificial. But when Morgan Freeman read it... man. You could really tell those words were about him."That's what you're saying. If someone said - "It's a really great poem, but I think it sounds better in Morgan Freeman's voice", you couldn't argue with that. It's an opinion. But for someone to say your words were more authentic coming out of someone else's mouth? Would you really accept that?

'WhatDoIKnow said:
Baker Street - Foo Fighters.
I'm a huge FF fan and they do great covers but this one falls short. I love it but its not better than the original.Metallica's Stone Cold Crazy destroys the original.

Tesla's Little Suzy and Signs are both far better than the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread