What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs that are better than the original (4 Viewers)

'Osaurus said:
Ball of Confusion - Love and Rockets (Orginal done by The Temptations). The original is turrible IMO.
:thumbdown: just watched the video of the rockets version ...I hope you are kidding this #### is awful.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ALRLZQf42s
Kind of was...bad song overall.How about Hotel California by Gypsy Kings over The Eagles?

'Osaurus said:
Ball of Confusion - Love and Rockets (Orginal done by The Temptations). The original is turrible IMO.
:thumbdown: just watched the video of the rockets version ...I hope you are kidding this #### is awful.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ALRLZQf42s
Kind of was...bad song overall.How about Hotel California by Gypsy Kings over The Eagles?
:lmao: do more! do more!

I like The Little Willies (which Norah Jones is in) version of Jolene better than Dolly Parton's original.

I like Norah Jones duet with Ray Charles in Here We Go Again better than Ray's original solo version.

I like Ray Charles' version of

better than Hank Williams original. I like Natalie Merchant's live cover of After the Goldrush equally to Neil Young's original.

I like The Little Willies (which Norah Jones is in) version of Jolene better than Dolly Parton's original.

I like Norah Jones duet with Ray Charles in Here We Go Again better than Ray's original solo version.

I like Ray Charles' version of

I like her cover of You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go. Not better than the original, but it's good.

Haven't read thru the entire thread, but:

Santana's "Black Magic Woman" (Fleetwood Mac)

George Thorogood's "Move it on Over" (Hank Williams)

Stevie Ray Vaughn "Superstition" (Stevie Wonder)

Last edited by a moderator:
For the "worst" cover thread, I'd start off with Coal Chamber (featuring Ozzy) performing "Shock The Monkey".Yessir, nothing says "world music" like alternative metal. :unsure:
If there's a "worst" thread, I have some David Bowie to nominate (Let's Spend the Night Together, Across the Universe, I Can't Explain)

I love the pixies but I have to admit I really like The Jesus and Mary Chain's version better.

Jesus and Mary Chain-

suspicious minds- fine young cannibals

i fought the law- green day (still like the clash's over sonny curtis or bobby fuller four)

blue monday-orgy

hurt- johnny cash

drift away- uncle cracker

higher ground- red hot chili peppers

hazy shade of winter- bangles

a little help from my friends- joe cocker

red wine- ub40

Haven't read thru the entire thread, but:Stevie Ray Vaughn "Superstition" (Stevie Wonder)
I love SRV, but oh my Lord no. No one beats the master at his own game. He wrote the song for Jeff Beck (who did an ok "fusion" version later on). Too many try to replace ivories/horns with guitars and fail. Plus, NO ONE was gonna beat Stevie's vocal and drums on this. This was an artist at the absolute pinnacle of his art when Stevie recorded it. As great as SRV was, he was playing from too far behind.

Haven't read thru the entire thread, but:Stevie Ray Vaughn "Superstition" (Stevie Wonder)
I love SRV, but oh my Lord no. No one beats the master at his own game. He wrote the song for Jeff Beck (who did an ok "fusion" version later on). Too many try to replace ivories/horns with guitars and fail. Plus, NO ONE was gonna beat Stevie's vocal and drums on this. This was an artist at the absolute pinnacle of his art when Stevie recorded it. As great as SRV was, he was playing from too far behind.
Much respect for Stevie Wonder...but its my favorite SRV tune. Sorry, the cover is my preference here.

Fortunate Son - Todd Snider:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9II2IAHYyl8
No. Fogerty wrote and played his as a man who was both eligible and drafted. I like Snider and respect him for doing something else with the song, but every bit of fury that JF wrote into that song is gone (sorta like Clapton did to his own damned song).

Much respect for Stevie Wonder...but its my favorite SRV tune. Sorry, the cover is my preference here.
It's all good. As with all art, it's in the eye of the beholder.

A whole ton of Pearl Jam ones:Sonic ReducerCrazy MaryLast KissHeart to Hang OntoI Got YouIt's OKMasters of WarLay Lady LayAt there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing coversRockin In The Free WorldBaba O RileyLove Reign O'er Me"Light My Fire"/"Roadhouse Blues"/"Break on Through" (Eddie only with remaining members of The Doors)
:goodposting: When did they play Lay Lady Lay? Can't believe I'm stumped here!A few others I'd add, could make either list:Dock of the BayI've Got a Feeling####in UpThrow Your Arms Around MeYou've Got To Hide Your Love AwayCrown Of ThornsHell we probably could list just about every one of them....

Just caught up with thread,here are a few:

I am the Walrus - Spooky Tooth

Eleanor Rigby - Vanilla Fudge

While my guitar gently weeps - Carlos Santana with Indie Arie

Down by the River - Roy Buchanan

This wheels on fire - Byrds

Wild Horses - Warren Haynes

Cortez the Killer - Dave Matthews with Warren Haynes

America - Yes

Summertime - Peter Gabriel

Ripples - Annie Haslem

Hey Joe - Black Uhuru

I shall be released - The Band

Little Wing - Stevie RAY VAUGHN

For the "worst" cover thread, I'd start off with Coal Chamber (featuring Ozzy) performing "Shock The Monkey".Yessir, nothing says "world music" like alternative metal. :unsure:
If there's a "worst" thread, I have some David Bowie to nominate (Let's Spend the Night Together, Across the Universe, I Can't Explain)
I never realized how bad his covers were since his own stuff can be pretty good. And that dancing in the streets thing with Jagger makes Van Halen's take look awesome by comparision.

A whole ton of Pearl Jam ones:Sonic ReducerCrazy MaryLast KissHeart to Hang OntoI Got YouIt's OKMasters of WarLay Lady LayAt there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing coversRockin In The Free WorldBaba O RileyLove Reign O'er Me"Light My Fire"/"Roadhouse Blues"/"Break on Through" (Eddie only with remaining members of The Doors)
:goodposting: When did they play Lay Lady Lay? Can't believe I'm stumped here!A few others I'd add, could make either list:Dock of the BayI've Got a Feeling####in UpThrow Your Arms Around MeYou've Got To Hide Your Love AwayCrown Of ThornsHell we probably could list just about every one of them....
Not sure when they did lay lady lay, but it was on an early bootleg I had in the 90s. My youtube is blocked at work, but check there.ETA: It was Vedder singing with Ministry on that track. I'll see if I can track it down when I get home and upload it somewhere

I think what you guys are saying is that you are Pearl Jam fans. You honestly think they've bettered Otis Redding's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay? Dylan's Masters of War?

I think what you guys are saying is that you are Pearl Jam fans. You honestly think they've bettered Otis Redding's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay? Dylan's Masters of War?
I shouldn't have listed SOTDOTB.I'll stand by Tiger Fan all day long regarding MoW.

I shouldn't have listed SOTDOTB.I'll stand by Tiger Fan all day long regarding MoW.
Masters of War is Bob Dylan alone with a guitar. That is uniquely his venom. That's one of his songs that nobody will ever, ever better. Never. It's not a matter of opinion. It's fact. You can jam it out loud for 35 minutes, growl over it, understate it, put a mellotron on it, play it backwards, tag the end with Corduroy, whatever. Dylan's version will never be approached. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away? I've Got a Feeling?

Masters of War is Bob Dylan alone with a guitar. That is uniquely his venom. That's one of his songs that nobody will ever, ever better. Never. It's not a matter of opinion. It's fact. You can jam it out loud for 35 minutes, growl over it, understate it, put a mellotron on it, play it backwards, tag the end with Corduroy, whatever. Dylan's version will never be approached. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away? I've Got a Feeling?
"Cover songs that are better than the original" sounds like an opinion to me. :shrug:I think you are a little hung up on my list. I didn't seperate them out like TF did (see: "And there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing covers"). Most of what I listed is part of that group.

"Cover songs that are better than the original" sounds like an opinion to me. :shrug:I think you are a little hung up on my list. I didn't seperate them out like TF did (see: "And there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing covers"). Most of what I listed is part of that group.
:goodposting:Plus it's Dylan. Nobody can question his skills or songwriting...but I guess his voice is more of an acquired taste (putting in kindly)

Here is one, not sure if the covers are necessisarily "better" than the Beatles original. Just that being made 30+ years after the original, things change, and they sound better.

The song is "And Your Bird Can Sing"

Here are some versions...

Guadalcanal Diary

Sweet and Hoffs did a couple albums of classic covers. Wouldn't say they're better, but certainly very good versions.

You're right, Zamboni, in general the Sweet/Hoffs cover albums are pretty good. And WOW, Susanna. Lucky Matthew Sweet, who is a face made for radio, to get to spend lots of time with her!!Any thoughts on the Guadalcanal Diary version? Ever heard of them before?

Simple Man

Shinedown >>>> Lynyrd Skynyrd

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shinedown

Users who are viewing this thread