What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs that are better than the original (1 Viewer)

'Tiger Fan said:
A whole ton of Pearl Jam ones:

Sonic Reducer

Crazy Mary

Last Kiss

Heart to Hang Onto

I Got You

It's OK

Masters of War

Lay Lady Lay

At there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing covers

Rockin In The Free World

Baba O Riley

Love Reign O'er Me

"Light My Fire"/"Roadhouse Blues"/"Break on Through" (Eddie only with remaining members of The Doors)
:goodposting: When did they play Lay Lady Lay? Can't believe I'm stumped here!

A few others I'd add, could make either list:

Dock of the Bay

I've Got a Feeling

####in Up

Throw Your Arms Around Me

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Crown Of Thorns

Hell we probably could list just about every one of them....
Not sure when they did lay lady lay, but it was on an early bootleg I had in the 90s. My youtube is blocked at work, but check there.ETA: It was Vedder singing with Ministry on that track. I'll see if I can track it down when I get home and upload it somewhere
Here's the link -
Now that I listen to it again, I probably shouldn't have included it in the original post :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tiger Fan said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Apple Jack said:
'Bobcat10 said:
'Apple Jack said:
I think what you guys are saying is that you are Pearl Jam fans. You honestly think they've bettered Otis Redding's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay? Dylan's Masters of War?
I shouldn't have listed SOTDOTB.I'll stand by Tiger Fan all day long regarding MoW.
Masters of War is Bob Dylan alone with a guitar. That is uniquely his venom. That's one of his songs that nobody will ever, ever better. Never. It's not a matter of opinion. It's fact. You can jam it out loud for 35 minutes, growl over it, understate it, put a mellotron on it, play it backwards, tag the end with Corduroy, whatever. Dylan's version will never be approached. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away? I've Got a Feeling?
"Cover songs that are better than the original" sounds like an opinion to me. :shrug: I think you are a little hung up on my list. I didn't seperate them out like TF did (see: "And there are some that would be considerd blasphemy to mention, but they are some amazing covers"). Most of what I listed is part of that group.
:goodposting: Plus it's Dylan. Nobody can question his skills or songwriting...but I guess his voice is more of an acquired taste (putting in kindly)
Dylan - MoW
Didn't know which to pull from the vault there are so many.

That's Vedder with Ministry?!?1

Multi-platinum recording artist Bob Seger performed a rousing version of his 1973 classic "Turn The Page" at the 43rd annual induction ceremony and awards presentation of the Songwriters Hall Of Fame, which was held on June 14 at New York City's Marriott Marquis. Hosted by legendary songwriter, ASCAP board member and Songwriters Hall Of Fame chairman Jimmy Webb, the evening inducted a new class of songwriters who mostly rose to prominence in the 1970s and whose work continues to impact the musical culture.When asked for his thoughts on METALLICA's version of "Turn The Page", which appears on the band's 1998 covers/compilation album "Garage Inc.", Seger told Artisan News (see video below), "I loved it. They told me they were gonna it and I loved it. I really liked thedrums, especially, because our drums are really simple. [it was] a cool take on it. It's been done before. Another guy did it in Australia and won a Grammy with it."METALLICA's cover of "Turn The Page" was the first single from "Garage Inc." The song topped the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for 11 consecutive weeks, the highest number of weeks METALLICA had ever spent at the top.METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich reportedly heard the original version of "Turn The Page" while driving across the Golden Gate Bridge and later commented that he thought it "had James [Hetfield] all over it".METALLICA's rendition features the same tempo as Seger's, but with a heavier feel; the saxophone part is replaced by a high slide guitar line from Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield played a guitar solobefore the last run through the chorus.METALLICA's music video for the song, helmed by acclaimed Swedish director Jonas Åkerlund (RAMMSTEIN, SATYRICON, OZZY OSBOURNE, MADONNA, THE PRODIGY), is about the life of a stripper who prostitutes herself while she is trying to raise a child; the prostitute/stripper is played by Ginger Lynn Allen.
~blabbermouth.com

Tesla's "Signs" and "Little Suzi" have already been mentioned, but their Real to Reel cd's are loaded with more kick-### versions of classic songs (linked as many as I could find on youtube):

- Black Sabbath

Tesla's "Signs" and "Little Suzi" have already been mentioned, but their Real to Reel cd's are loaded with more kick-### versions of classic songs (linked as many as I could find on youtube):

Are you saying that you think Tesla's versions of these songs are better? Or are you just saying you like these?

Are you saying that you think Tesla's versions of these songs are better? Or are you just saying you like these?
I'm saying that they are great covers. Some are better than the originals in my mind. Others might find different ones they like better than the originals.

Not to take anything away from the SP but I love Megadeth's version. Dave's voice just seethes with the hate this song deserves.

Anarchy in the UK

Sex Pistols

Multi-platinum recording artist Bob Seger performed a rousing version of his 1973 classic "Turn The Page" at the 43rd annual induction ceremony and awards presentation of the Songwriters Hall Of Fame, which was held on June 14 at New York City's Marriott Marquis. Hosted by legendary songwriter, ASCAP board member and Songwriters Hall Of Fame chairman Jimmy Webb, the evening inducted a new class of songwriters who mostly rose to prominence in the 1970s and whose work continues to impact the musical culture.When asked for his thoughts on METALLICA's version of "Turn The Page", which appears on the band's 1998 covers/compilation album "Garage Inc.", Seger told Artisan News (see video below), "I loved it. They told me they were gonna it and I loved it. I really liked thedrums, especially, because our drums are really simple. [it was] a cool take on it. It's been done before. Another guy did it in Australia and won a Grammy with it."METALLICA's cover of "Turn The Page" was the first single from "Garage Inc." The song topped the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart for 11 consecutive weeks, the highest number of weeks METALLICA had ever spent at the top.METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich reportedly heard the original version of "Turn The Page" while driving across the Golden Gate Bridge and later commented that he thought it "had James [Hetfield] all over it".METALLICA's rendition features the same tempo as Seger's, but with a heavier feel; the saxophone part is replaced by a high slide guitar line from Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield played a guitar solobefore the last run through the chorus.METALLICA's music video for the song, helmed by acclaimed Swedish director Jonas Åkerlund (RAMMSTEIN, SATYRICON, OZZY OSBOURNE, MADONNA, THE PRODIGY), is about the life of a stripper who prostitutes herself while she is trying to raise a child; the prostitute/stripper is played by Ginger Lynn Allen.
~blabbermouth.com
:goodposting: Turn the Page by Metallica is by far my favorite cover song.Shinedown's A Simple Man is another good one. (I missed that it was mentioned above and immediately panned...sorry, I prefer it to the original, but then, I like Brent's voice but I know a lot of people that don't.)

'Maelstrom said:
~blabbermouth.com
:goodposting: Turn the Page by Metallica is by far my favorite cover song.Shinedown's A Simple Man is another good one. (I missed that it was mentioned above and immediately panned...sorry, I prefer it to the original, but then, I like Brent's voice but I know a lot of people that don't.)
I'm a big Metallica fan...my favorite cover they do would have to be Am I Evil...they pretty much stole that song it's so identified with them...with The Small Hours a close second.I like that Shinedown version, too. :thumbup:

Without You - Harry Nilsson remake >>>> Badfinger version

Also liked the remake of Don't let the sun go down on me by George Michael over Elton John.

I've heard a few versions of Dylan's "one more cup of coffee" but I like the White Stripes version best.
Better than Dylan's? :shock: Desire is one of the unique rock and roll records ever made, imo. And that darkish vibe on One More Cup plays a large role. My God, that record rules 500 different ways. I love Jack White, but I don't care for his Desire covers.

'Vike Me said:
I Feel for You - Chaka Khan(Prince Song)
Did Prince ever record that? He threw a bunch of songs to other artists just to piss off....well, everyone.In any case, Stevie on mouth-harp and Melle Mel on the "ChakaKahnChakaKhan".

Wild Horses by The Sundays is like a completely different song from the original. It's also not just better but far superior, and that's saying something.

This thread is full of "covers I like.". Few are truly better that the original.

Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
Better than Leonard? Blasphemy.
Totally. I like Rufus and I like his take, but it's not only not better than than Cohen's, it's not the best cover. I don't think anybody's ever going to top Buckley's. It resides with the Watchtowers, Hickory Winds, and Twist and Shouts of the cover universe.There aren't many cover versions of songs that surpass the original. At least not of good songs. It's like taking a meal that somebody else cooked then you putting on a bunch of garnishes and selling it as your own. It's rare that anybody is able to get down into the song and fundamentally become apart of it in a molecular way.The Grateful Dead's live take on Morning Dew is one.

I don't like this better than the original, but sometimes I really feel like listening to it.

Because I know everyone is going to dig these.

Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
Better than Leonard? Blasphemy.
Totally. I like Rufus and I like his take, but it's not only not better than than Cohen's, it's not the best cover. I don't think anybody's ever going to top Buckley's. It resides with the Watchtowers, Hickory Winds, and Twist and Shouts of the cover universe.There aren't many cover versions of songs that surpass the original. At least not of good songs. It's like taking a meal that somebody else cooked then you putting on a bunch of garnishes and selling it as your own. It's rare that anybody is able to get down into the song and fundamentally become apart of it in a molecular way.

The Grateful Dead's live take on Morning Dew is one.
I agree with that one - assuming you're talking about the Europe '72 rendition.

I don't like this better than the original, but sometimes I really feel like listening to it.

is way better.

Wild Horses by The Sundays is like a completely different song from the original. It's also not just better but far superior, and that's saying something. This thread is full of "covers I like.". Few are truly better that the original.
Harriet Wheeler's lush vocals perfectly swirl about the dreamlike musical tapestry :thumbup: It truly is a remarkable rework of one of my top 5 Stones tunes ... hell of an effort to have topped the original, IMO.

Don't recall which of these were mentioned, but Hendrix, U2, and Dave Mathews all did better versions of All Along the Watchtower.

Users who are viewing this thread