What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Little hype train (1 Viewer)

DansRams

Footballguy
This guy is underrated. He is currently 33rd in dynasty and 36th in ppr-redraft (consensus FBG rankings). His year last year was good but not great 61/709/2 and of course many have talked about the 12 drops....but overall a pretty decent rookie wr yr.Here is what I seeBaseline - Rookie season 61/709/2Reasons for improvement - His rookie year was impacted by limited camp due to lockout....so an improvement with a full offseason should be expected - He didnt even play in 2010 so it is safe to say his 2011 output was probably diminished. So after a season getting back into the swing of things it is probably safe to assume his progression would be even more than the normal 1st to 2nd yr progression. - He has had very little overall experience at WR after playing RB and multiple other positions at UNC, prior to moing to WR, so as he learns the details of the position it is fair to assume his learning curve will be steeper than the typical 1st - 2nd yr WR. - Some may disagree but I feel that Weeden (even as a rookie) will be a decent upgrade over McCoy...especially with getting deeper patterns into the mix - He has shown the willingness to work hard...bulking up on his own during the 2010 season and coming into the combine in great shape although a bit misguided shape as he was a little too bulked up for wr. Now with NFL guidence he comes into OTA's in great shape but also shed 11 pounds for a more reasonable wr build, which should add quickness and speed.Some may argue that each one of these things I just outlined,may not be "that" important, but all five in total suggests that a fairly significant jump in Little's numbers should be expected.I think 80/1050/7 are reasonable numbers to expect and that would put him in the 16-22 range in ppr leagues as a 23yr old WR....hardly a #33 dynasty wr or #36 redraft wr.

In the wake of April's draft, the Cleveland Browns have been widely criticized for not making drastic changes to their wide receiving corps. According to most analysts, the Browns' current group of receivers may quite possibly be the worst in the league with no pass-catcher on the roster worthy for the title of No. 1 receiver. However, the Cleveland coaching staff continues to maintain that talent does exists at the position. The team appears confident that a full offseason and another year in head coach Pat Shurmur's West Coast offense will allow the current crop of wideouts to make serious strides toward greatness in 2012. One player who is looking to make a big jump this season is Greg Little, a second-round draft choice of the Browns in 2011. Little had a decent rookie campaign, especially considering he spent the prior year completely away from football due to NCAA-imposed suspension. Little led all Browns receivers with 61 receptions for 709 yards, but also tied for second in the league with 12 drops on the season. In an effort to further enhance his abilities as a wide receiver, Little has undertaken the task of transforming his body to better suit the position. The former running back has reportedly shed 11 pounds and eased up on the weight training that helped create the massive 220-pound frame that Little brought into the league as a rookie. Shurmur has taken notice of the physical change, one that has Little looking like Cleveland's answer at the No. 1 wideout position. “I’ve seen him look a lot quicker, a lot more sudden, and I think to this point he has caught the ball at a much more consistent rate and he just looks like a different guy to me ... To his credit, he has done a really nice job of getting his body into the right kind of shape he needs to be in to be a receiver in this league,” Shurmur recently said, according to the Akron Beacon-Journal. You can count rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden among those who believe that Little has what it takes to become a dominant offensive weapon this season. Weeden even went so far as to compare Little to this year's fifth overall pick, Justin Blackmon. "There are a lot of similarities [between Little and Blackmon]." Weeden told reporters following Wednesday's organized team activities. "They are big body guys, big hands and strong. You can tell when Greg catches it he’s strong with the football and that’s the way that Justin was. "I haven’t really thrown much with Greg, we’ve been in two different groups, but the more I see him, I’ll tell you what, he can play. He can really, really go get it. He’s going to be a fun guy to throw to." If there is anyone qualified to make such a comparison, it is certainly Weeden. Blackmon was his top target at Oklahoma State and the two remain close friends, even off the field. It is not a comparison that should be taken lightly. Blackmon enters the NFL as a highly touted prospect who is expected to become a dominant receiver in the mold of Anquan Boldin. With Weeden at the helm last year, Blackmon produced the sixth-most prolific receiving season in NCAA history, with 1,782 yards and 20 touchdowns on 111 receptions. There are certainly physical similarities between Little and Blackmon. At 6'2", Little stands an inch taller than Blackmon and, with his new slimmed-down frame, weighs in a mere two pounds heavier. Both players bring a sense of physicality to the position with the ability to make things happen after the catch. Few analysts are questioning Blackmon's ability to produce at the pro level, and if Weeden's observations are to be believed, Little could be poised for big things this season as well. If Weeden is able to pair with Little to produce even a fraction of the magic he found with Blackmon at Oklahoma State, Cleveland's passing attack this season could be much more potent than even the brightest optimist currently anticipates. Follow National Football Authority on Twitter: @NFAuthority & @Kris_KnoxFor more NFL coverage follow @NFA_NFL

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly unsuccessful in my buy attempts in my dynasties, and if his price stays anywhere close to where it is I'm buying in redrafts. Although being a Cleveland local that may be easier said than done. I don't like Weeden, but he is absolutely better for Little than McCoy. The other points you pointed out are exactly why I had no interest in buying him in redrafts last year, but will be targeting him this year. People expecting any better than what he gave you last year were kidding themselves. No football in 18 months, no off season, only one year playing wide receiver, abysmal offense (although I don't think many expected it to be as unwatchable as it was) - there was no reason to buy last year.

This year? Put or shut up, Greg. And his price is absolutely worth the risk to find out. A couple of stabs at Denarius Moore and Greg Little will be my plan A for WR3 and WR4 in most of my drafts.

I like Little. Don't own him in dynasty, but I think the additions in CLE could help him quite a bit. A breakout season wouldn't shock me.

This is the kind of guy you trade a fading star for. Offer Santonio Holmes for Greg Little right now and you might just look like a genius as the end of the season.

His catch % was at 50% if i'm not mistaken...bad.
You realize that he doesn't take full blame on that percentage right?
Obviously. But it's not a good sign. Generally deep ball WR's have a low catch % due to the higher risk of completing a pass deep down field. Possession WRs should have a much higher catch % because they are easier to complete. Little caught 61 of 120 targets, his 11.6 YPC attest to his short pass identity in the offense.

Obviously. But it's not a good sign. Generally deep ball WR's have a low catch % due to the higher risk of completing a pass deep down field. Possession WRs should have a much higher catch % because they are easier to complete. Little caught 61 of 120 targets, his 11.6 YPC attest to his short pass identity in the offense.
This is good posting but as stated before. This was a rookie who used to play RB catching passes from Colt McCoy on an anemic Browns offense devout of playmakers. If there was a situation I'd let a 50% catch rating slip by, it's this one.

This is good posting but as stated before. This was a rookie who used to play RB catching passes from Colt McCoy on an anemic Browns offense devout of playmakers. If there was a situation I'd let a 50% catch rating slip by, it's this one.
Here is every catch from Greg Little.Weeks 1-9

I own him in two leagues...I'm not impressed and don't see him ever being anything more than a WR3.

Actually, that's b/c Colt McCoy can't throw farther than 20 yards.

The catch % of some other rookies on bad teams that you might have heard of..Larry Fitzgerald: 50%

Roddy White: 43%

Calvin Johnson: 50%
Fitz=13.4 YPCRoddy=15.4 YPC

Calvin=15.8 YPC

Greg Little=11.6 YPC :unsure:
Career:Larry Fitzgerald: 13.9 YPC (11.3 lowest, with Kurt Warner in 2009)

Roddy White: 13.9 YPC (12.1 lowest, with Matt Ryan in 2010)

Calvin Johnson: 16.0 YPC (14.5 lowest, with Matt Stafford in 2010)

I don't think this argument has any basis with Little.

Now compare this vs. every top 20 WR in the league in their 2nd season ever playing wide receiver.

The catch % of some other rookies on bad teams that you might have heard of..Larry Fitzgerald: 50%

Calvin=15.8 YPC

You clearly missed my point with a deep threat vs possession guy.

Devin Hester never got it.Greg Little is a big man, who doesn't play big. He isn't quick twitch...he gets tackled by 180 pound slot DBs. Nothing special to his game whatsoever. If yall want to hype up someone, go ahead. I own him and wish he turned into a stud, but it won't happen.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

...and what's that? That Greg Little posted 11.6 YPC as a Rookie while other 'deep threat' players like Fitzgerald and White posted 11.3YPC and 12.1 at certain points in their careers? Yet they are 'deep threats' because of their YPC posted in their Rookie campaigns? How many times did McCoy even go deep last season?The fact of the matter is Greg Little was very raw coming in and those who are evaluating him and high on him understand that. He has the potential to be a playmaker. Whatever numbers you want to float around are irrelevant because we all expected those numbers from him during his Rookie campaign.

I give him every benefit of the doubt being in a wco. I also like Weeden in that O. i see big things about week 5 on no matter who is QB.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

...and what's that? That Greg Little posted 11.6 YPC as a Rookie while other 'deep threat' players like Fitzgerald and White posted 11.3YPC and 12.1 at certain points in their careers? Yet they are 'deep threats' because of their YPC posted in their Rookie campaigns? How many times did McCoy even go deep last season?The fact of the matter is Greg Little was very raw coming in and those who are evaluating him and high on him understand that. He has the potential to be a playmaker. Whatever numbers you want to float around are irrelevant because we all expected those numbers from him during his Rookie campaign.
:lmao: YOU brought Calvin/Roddy/Fitz into this discussion, not me. Then post other NON-Rookie YPC to help prove your point, it didn't work.

What does Greg Little give you as a "playmaker"?

-Dropped 12 passed=check

-Not quick twitch=check

-Doesn't play big=check

-Catches 50% of targets=check

-Suspended due to character issues in college=check

-11.6 YPC...which is below Marcedes Lewis to give you a reference

-2 TDs on 120 targets. Desmond Briscoe had 6 TDs on 50 targets, David Nelson had 5 TDs on 98 targets...both very mediocre possession WRs.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

So he gets a pass no matter what happened his rookie year...got it :rolleyes:

More importantly we have to think 'how much will Greg Little have to improve his game to be a Fantasy Option'?

2011: 61 Catches / 709 Yards / 2TD

For him to eclipse the 1,000 yard mark at his current YPC he'd have to catch about 30 more passes. 90 Catches? With Richardson on the way, I don't think so.

Greg Little arrived at Browns OTAs looking like he "dedicated the offseason to reshaping his body in an effort to add quickness," according to ESPN Cleveland.

"He looks much leaner, and he was running around well," coach Pat Shurmur said. "It's his first true offseason as a pro and I think what he has done is he has taken good care of his body."

Let's say with Weeden throwing the ball, Richardson - play action, and improvement as a player Little reaches 14YPC and catches about 70 balls.

980 Yards

Touchdowns are much more difficult to predict but let's assume Weeden throws for more 14 (which Colt threw last year). I'd be estatic if he came down with 6 Touchdowns but then again you have to temper expectations with Richardson in town.

70 Catches / 980 yards / 6 Touchdowns.

Anyone expected more from him at this current stage of career and current team is a 'Little' crazy.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

I didn't start him his Rookie season nor did I have high expectations. He's not getting a pass but I'm not going to be down on a guy for performing like a Rookie with no offseason, that's nonsense.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

I didn't start him his Rookie season nor did I have high expectations. He's not getting a pass but I'm not going to be down on a guy for performing like a Rookie with no offseason, that's nonsense.
So then the stats i'm pulling out do matter.Many rookie WRs performed well last year. Jimmy Graham was a stud last year with less football experience than Greg Little.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

So then the stats i'm pulling out do matter.Many rookie WRs performed well last year. Jimmy Graham was a stud last year with less football experience than Greg Little.
Greg Little isn't Jimmy Graham.

Calvin=15.8 YPC

:potkettle: So why is Greg Little a "playmaker"? Since you failed to respond to that post

Calvin=15.8 YPC

how good would Jimmy Graham's Stats be with Colt McCoy throwing him the ball, and then put Little on NO with Drew Brees.

Little is extremely talented but he's not a natural receiver. He's a beast with the ball in his hands though and can be a very good #2 WR. I don't see him as a true #1 and expect the Browns to draft a WR next year. He reminds me of Muhsin Muhammad with his size and blocking ability and should have a similar career.

how good would Jimmy Graham's Stats be with Colt McCoy throwing him the ball, and then put Little on NO with Drew Brees.
I get your point, but it's in reference that he gets a free pass due to rookie season/not much experience as a WR. Jimmy Graham didn't have much experience at football period and he worked out.All of this can't be Colt McCoy's fault...it's not like he's Tim Tebow bad :football:

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I get your point, but it's in reference that he gets a free pass due to rookie season/not much experience as a WR. Jimmy Graham didn't have much experience at football period and he worked out.All of this can't be Colt McCoy's fault...it's not like he's Tim Tebow bad :football:
Yeah, he's worse.

Im on board, he had a very nice rookie season with no OTA no real camp and a terrible QB and terrible offensive situation.
I watched a lot of Browns games. He did NOT have a very nice season from what I saw. He was targeted a lot, dropped a lot, and a very underwhelming 700/2 total. However a new QB could change things and it's impossible to predict how he responds. I temper my expectations to 60/850/5 with upside to do better. Not WR3 material, but a WR4 with upside.

Here is every catch from Greg Little.

Weeks 1-9

Those videos would be a lot more helpful if they included the targets he didn't catch.

I think Little flashes some potential this year by having a 900/6 type of year, then is someone that everybody is projecting as the next stud heading into 2013.

Over the last 10 NFL seasons there have only been 10 other rookie WRs with at least 60 catches and 700+ yards (in order of most recent first):

AJ Green

Mike Williams

Percy Harvin

DeSean Jackson

Eddie Royal

Dwayne Bowe

Marques Colston

Michael Clayton

Anquan Boldin

Andre Johnson

That's not bad company to be in IMHO...

Yeah, he's worse.
McCoy= 57.2 comp %Tebow= 46.5 comp %

With much worse WRs

Over the last 10 NFL seasons there have only been 10 other rookie WRs with at least 60 catches and 700+ yards (in order of most recent first):

Catch percentages of the players I could find in MFL

AJ Green 56.5

Mike Williams51.1

Percy Harvin 65.9

DeSean Jackson51.2

Eddie Royal70.5

Dwayne Bowe

Marques Colston

Michael Clayton

Anquan Boldin

Andre Johnson

That's not bad company to be in IMHO...
Greg Little is at 50.8%. Of those, WR1=AJ Green, Percy Harvin. WR2=Desean Jackson...his catch % is close because Desean gets lots of deep targets...Greg Little doesn't. Mike Williams WR3...maybe. Which is about what Little's ceiling is right now.

I dont know about you guys but I dont get bonus points for target to catch percentage.

The kid had a good rookie season all things considered. And If push comes to shove Ill take him at his current adp for my wr3/4 type.

I mentioned him in the "everybody is sleeping on..." thread.

People seem to dismiss Little based upon his dropsies last year, but he actually had a decent statistical year with poor QB play, a two year period since he last played, and no offseason training. Lots of receivers get over the concentration lapses.

Team brass clearly has big hopes for him considering they did nothing to address the WR position in FA/draft.

It's up to Little to get over the drops, and is contingent on how Weeden steps in, but I think he has a nice season when it's all said and done.

Greg Little continuing to get weight down with Browns

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com

Last month, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Greg Little gave partial credit to his slimmer physique to cutting out the seven to 10 cupcakes he would down every Thursday. Another factor in Little's added size as a rookie was the 11 pounds of muscle he had gained while training for the 2011 NFL Scouting Combine.

While suspended from North Carolina by the NCAA for the 2010 season, Little worked out with Wayne Hunter -- the MMA fighter, not the New York Jets right tackle -- who put the receiver through grueling workouts to keep him motivated on realizing his NFL dream. According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Little says those workouts were his "saving grace".

"I was very lean and cut when I worked out with Wayne," said Little of his pre-combine training physique. "I lost about four or five pounds, but I still had a big body for a receiver."

Selected in the second round, Little caught 61 passes for 709 yards and two touchdowns as a starter in 12 of 16 games as a rookie. Little was also among the league leaders in dropped passes. To slim down, Little worked out at Bommarito Performance Systems in the Miami area and is reportedly at 219 pounds after weighing 231 pounds at last year's Combine. Browns head coach Pat Shurmur thinks a slimmer Little will be quicker and more consistent going forward.

"I’ve seen him look a lot quicker, a lot more sudden," Shurmur said after a recent OTA practice. "To this point, he’s caught the ball at a much more consistent rate and he just looks like a different guy to me, a guy that’s been through it once. To his credit, he’s done a really nice job of getting his body in the right kind of shape he needs to be in to be a receiver in this league."

Rookies WRs in 2011 who did better than Greg Little (ppr) - with the same lost off season

AJ Green

Julio Jones

Torrey Smith

Doug Baldwin

Someone who did worse (but not much worse):

Titus Young

I think I'd rather have Titus Young, Doug Baldwin and Torrey Smith than Greg Little this year - Julio and AJ goes without saying.

Users who are viewing this thread