What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

plantar fasciitis (1 Viewer)

Bengalsfan

Footballguy
I'll admit I'm self diagnosing.....but I've read a ton and am convinced that is what it is. What do I need to do to heal this? My fledgling efforts at becoming a runner are being hindered by this. :-(

Wrap it rather tight. Keep wrapped for support as often as you can during day-to-day.

Immobilize foot if you can, particularly down time at home.

You are experiencing a stretch of the connective tissue.

You dont want it to stretch, you want it to heal.

It cant heal if you keep stretching it. Thus the wrap.

Soak in deep heat when resting, use epsom salts.

Heat may cause it to hurt, but you want it to heal as fast as you can.

Increased circulation helps, but makes you feel it.

Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get insoles for all of the shoes you wear all of the time (I have two pair - one for work shoes and another for my running/workout shoes). They will last around 6 months, give or take, they are worth every penny, and replace them and get new ones the minutes they start getting worn (which happens for me when I feel a little twinge of soreness again). I go to Fleet Sports to get mine, and I get inserts made by Superfeet. They made a world of difference when I had a problem with this a few years back.

Here ya go: http://www.superfeet.com/

Completely false. Follow the stretching instructions in this article. This cured me after a years of suffering. Don't be shy about pulling those toes back as far as you can until you are in pain.
I was speaking of the stretching you incur while running, walking and jumping. Not the non-weight bearing therapy kind of stretching.

As noted in your link that casting (total immobilization) helped greatly with sufferers.

And stretching was the cause of my plantar fasciitis. No amount of warming up with stretching was acceptable.

Insoles and well-padded shoes are your friends.

Get insoles for all of the shoes you wear all of the time (I have two pair - one for work shoes and another for my running/workout shoes). They will last around 6 months, give or take, they are worth every penny, and replace them and get new ones the minutes they start getting worn (which happens for me when I feel a little twinge of soreness again). I go to Fleet Sports to get mine, and I get inserts made by Superfeet. They made a world of difference when I had a problem with this a few years back.

Can't agree more than what Ghost Rider recommended in using the superfeet insoles. I fought plantar fasciitis in both of my feet. Took almost 2 years to be totally ridden of any pain, but mostly was my fought, I continued to run thru the pain but finally had to seek help. I do a lot of running, ran most of the top marathons in the country, I haven't had any trouble with my feet for the past 6 years and I give all the credit to using the green superfeet insoles, I replace them at around every 400-500 miles, depends on how my feet feel.

Just going to add my :2cents: and it is along the same lines - get insoles. If you can't find over the counter ones that help, then seek the advice of a podiatrist. Might be wise to do that anyways, but get a second or third opinion if they recommend surgery right away. While it is warranted in some cases, many times good support can greatly reduce or eliminate the problem. A podiatrist also has access to making custom orthodics, which would be custom molded to your feet to help. Generally more aggressive in nature than your over the counter insoles, they can hurt at first, but should help quickly.

When I wear a pair of shoes my orthodics don't fit in, or walk barefoot a lot, I definitely feel it. They have made a large difference in the level of pain I feel.

I would go see a podiatrist and get some custom orthodics. They really helped me and i wear them every day. They were pricey, but worth every penny and the ones i have fit in any shoes that i wear. It has been 6+ months since i have had foot pain related to Plantar Fascilitis which is amazing considering i just came back from vacation and probably walked a good 15-20 miles. I have also lost a good amount of weight since i first starting having these feet issues, so that may have helped as well.

But in the meantime, you will want to do some stretching as someone posted earlier as that will help prevent this as well. You can also use something like naproxen to help with the swelling.

I'm in the midst of it myself since November. Custom orthotics are being made and my Dr gave me cortisone shots (lifesavers). However, when I can't get in for a shot and it's bad, I use a frozen bottle if water and roll my foot on it as a combo ice and massage treatment.

I used a variety of inserts before I went to the doctor. Even pricey ones from running stores weren't enough. Hoping the custom ones will do the trick.

Completely false. Follow the stretching instructions in this article. This cured me after a years of suffering. Don't be shy about pulling those toes back as far as you can until you are in pain.
You got to it before I did.Things that have helped me:

1) Stretch the foot in the morning as soon as you wake up. EIther in the manner described above, or by putting your foot on the floor and doing the same "lean against the wall" thing you would to to stretch out your calf....only do it with your plantar fascia.

2) Ibuprofen is your friend.

3) There is a device called a "night boot." It will hold your foot in an extended position at night. You can buy this at most pharmacies for about $20-30.

4) Lose weight. Dropping from about 225 lbs to about 210 pounds helped me quite a bit.

5) Wrapping the foot does help, but I've had more luck with "taping" the bottom of it with athletic tape.

I'm in the midst of it myself since November. Custom orthotics are being made and my Dr gave me cortisone shots (lifesavers). However, when I can't get in for a shot and it's bad, I use a frozen bottle if water and roll my foot on it as a combo ice and massage treatment.

I used a variety of inserts before I went to the doctor. Even pricey ones from running stores weren't enough. Hoping the custom ones will do the trick.
I've had the exact same problem. The Spenco inserts were supposedly the most "highly recommended" ones. Didn't do a dang thing.I was right on the verge of ordering the custom inserts when it started getting better. Amazingly, the footwear that gave me the most support was a pair of Georgia work boots.

I've done stretching, shots, insoles, and even surgery over several years. Right foot is completely pain free but left foot still hurts (after being pain-free for about a year. Currently I've been taping with some success but it gets old so I am trying out this brace that pretty much is an ankle wrap but targets the arch.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: This is what worked for me. I had a nasty case of PF about five years ago. It hurt me when I walked up stairs, drove my car, and walked around. Got insoles for all my shoes, did stretching exercises (one of the exercises I did that helped was rolling my foot on a tennis ball) and didn't run for about 6 months. When everything got better I resumed my running without any problems. I continue to wear orthotics in all my shoes to this day and haven't had any problems since.

So it hurts for me to walk bare footed and it often feels like some of my toes are dislocated. Sometimes i have a dime size bruised feeling in my heel (like it is under the surface). Is this PF or something else? Sometimes I get a searing pain in my ankles as well (not sure if it's related).

So it hurts for me to walk bare footed and it often feels like some of my toes are dislocated. Sometimes i have a dime size bruised feeling in my heel (like it is under the surface). Is this PF or something else? Sometimes I get a searing pain in my ankles as well (not sure if it's related).
Doesn't sound like classic PF but impossible to diagnose on a message board.Both you and the OP need to see a podiatrist for proper diagnosis and treatment. PF is notoriously difficult to cure.

Don't know about the toes, other than my podiatrist warned me that pf is inflammation and subject to hit other areas. Im going to guess the dime size bruise is a heel spur, a spike of pain caused by pf. Basically the tendon pulling also pulls on the bone causing a calcification build up due to the tendon redirecting the bone. They are a symbiotic dance but direct pressure can cause that heel pain. Do the stretches and that should bring relief to the tendon, reducing inflammation and ideally allowing for natural cushioning. To take hold.

I blew 400 out of pocket on orthotics and they have had minimal benefit. Been dealing with a hellacious case since about last October. Saw a podiatrist in January who was a little cortisone happy for my taste but the 1st shot was heaven. It wears off though.

I had my best results with proactive, frequent stretching. It was GONE in march after stretching for 1 minute every hour. However, in that time, my insurance approved physical therapy. Had a great first session but the therapist was worried about my tight calves. Got a little too aggressive stretching and my Achilles started flaring up and has been bad since April. Less heel pad and more on the side of the heel and in the achilles. Incredibly frustrating and I'm doing very little stretching right now. I'd rather pf than an Achilles tear.

I'm dealing with it personally by losing weight and I don't feel a thing doing exercise bike cardio but that is my one word of advice to all. I think the stretching is a calculated risk but do NOT go too fast too soon as far as pushing the range of motion.

Im even doubting the stretching altogether. I don't know why its not more routinely treated with a walking boot and RICE therapy. If you sprain an ankle, you stay off it. The plantar is is a tendon, I still don't know how you rest it causing small tears.

Last word, taping was also great for me, YMMV. If I have to do a lot of walking or will be on my feet all day, I will tape it like an ankle sprain, giving lots of arch support. At my worst, I walked 13, 11, and 10 miles based on my pedometer at the super bowl with basically no problem. I did alternate perscription orthodocs with over the counter ones.

Also rotates your shoes guys.

Good luck to everyone, I feel your pain, literally

Warning: My advice first and foremost is to be evaluated by an orthopedist or podiatrist. Anything they tell you should be taken over anything read here.

The tennis ball roll is a good idea, but at the end of the day use a frozen water bottle instead.

Never, ever go anywhere barefoot. Crocks saved my life even though they are the ugliest things.

The night splits could help, but half the people don't use them because they maybe uncomfortable to wear. Keep a towel or belt by your bed and stretch the foot pulling the toes back before you take any step in the morning or after you have been sitting a long time.

For my running, I find heel cups help the best for me, but custom orthotics work better for others. My suggestion would be to always start cheap, see if it works and go up from there.

wear NOTHING but MBT shoes. They are the best shoes ever made for people with this condition. Its all I wear, its all I can wear, without being in pain. Go to a hospital and look at what all the nurses wear, MBTs.

wear NOTHING but MBT shoes. They are the best shoes ever made for people with this condition. Its all I wear, its all I can wear, without being in pain. Go to a hospital and look at what all the nurses wear, MBTs.
I'd rather deal with the pain.

'ATC1 said:
The night splits could help, but half the people don't use them because they maybe uncomfortable to wear. Keep a towel or belt by your bed and stretch the foot pulling the toes back before you take any step in the morning or after you have been sitting a long time.
I had some pain a few years ago. I found it helped (and it's still a habit) to wiggle and 'stretch' the toes before getting out of bed in the a.m. ...I sit on the edge of the bed and move 'em around for a bit.

had it last year. not a chronic thing, but it did last a few months. buy yourself some KT Tape and follow the instructions for plantar fasciatis. I did this for a few weeks, and it gradually got better until it went away completely.

on a side note, I love KT tape. you can use it for just about any muscle/tendon/ligament injury or chronic pain. you can wrap it and leave the stuff on for as many as 5 days, even wearing it in the shower. awesome stuff.

had it last year. not a chronic thing, but it did last a few months. buy yourself some KT Tape and follow the instructions for plantar fasciatis. I did this for a few weeks, and it gradually got better until it went away completely.

on a side note, I love KT tape. you can use it for just about any muscle/tendon/ligament injury or chronic pain. you can wrap it and leave the stuff on for as many as 5 days, even wearing it in the shower. awesome stuff.
I'm amazed by this and whoever suggested the EBT shoes, thank you both. I was in a bad way about a week ago, and whether it was coincidence or these products, I feel 70 percent better. Still not perfect but FAR more functional.

I'm amazed by this and whoever suggested the EBT shoes, thank you both. I was in a bad way about a week ago, and whether it was coincidence or these products, I feel 70 percent better. Still not perfect but FAR more functional.
:thumbup: I always keep a roll of KT Tape handy. I'm wearing some right now for a bicep tendon strain. amazing product.

hopefully you bought MBT shoes, not sure about EBTs. ;) But yeah, they have been life savers for me personally. :thumbup:

You got to it before I did.Things that have helped me:

1) Stretch the foot in the morning as soon as you wake up. EIther in the manner described above, or by putting your foot on the floor and doing the same "lean against the wall" thing you would to to stretch out your calf....only do it with your plantar fascia.

2) Ibuprofen is your friend.

3) There is a device called a "night boot." It will hold your foot in an extended position at night. You can buy this at most pharmacies for about $20-30.

4) Lose weight. Dropping from about 225 lbs to about 210 pounds helped me quite a bit.

5) Wrapping the foot does help, but I've had more luck with "taping" the bottom of it with athletic tape.
This works wonders. Best $35 I've spent this year.

Tried some of the stuff in here with decent results. The tennis ball and ice bottle do ok. The biggest thing is just trying to stay off it and/or at least not running around barefoot. Considering the night boots.

Stretch, ice, stretch, ice. Get good shoes. Get good inserts

Don't walk around barefoot

There's no magic bullet. Stretch and ice

I actually ruptured my right plantar fascia in January 2011 and still played flag football on it without much of a break. It has been terrible to deal with and on top of that my left foot now has plantar fasciitis. I've done cortisone shots (that's probably the reason I ruptured it) I've done the golf ball, kt tape, tennis ball, frozen water bottle, therapy, night splint (works great but is too uncomfortable to sleep in) when I seen this thread and someone mentioned the spenco rx orthotics I gave them a try and I can honestly say that they are working better than anything I have tried so far. Other advice is never ever go barefoot not even around the house. Well that's my story on plantar fasciitis all I can say is if you've never had to deal with it consider yourself lucky. I had no clue how bothersome and painful something so simple could be.

I have been icing,stretching,taping with athletic tape, and IBU. I do think there is improvement but I want more. I am thinking about getting the night splint boot and that KT tape looks good. I have been wearing MBT shoes for about 3 years now and I do think they are great. Problem is the price. I notice the sole is coming off of one. I am hoping I can get it resoled as I dont want to buy another pair at $300.00.

I didn't know this but a lot of insurances give you an allowance of $200 every two years specifically for orthotics and a lot of people don't know it.

Also, I know it's extreme but I did the surgery and right foot is great but lefty is troublesome though not near what it was. That's about 18 months out.

'Maik Jeaunz said:
'Smack Tripper said:

:thumbup: I always keep a roll of KT Tape handy. I'm wearing some right now for a bicep tendon strain. amazing product.
A strain by the elbow? Or up at the chest/deltoids?

Going to therapy at Airrosti. The treatment is painful as a mofo but I feel like a million bucks walking out. The KT tape has been a lifesaver as well.

Just hoping it goes away.. I've had it for months before finally going to see someone.

Also, if i am told by a doctor to go buy supportive shoes - are they considered a medical expense?

Wear shoes with firm soles.

Wear night splints.

Rest.

It took about 8 months till mine went away.

You can get cortisone injections or freeze the nerve by a physician.

Warning: My advice first and foremost is to be evaluated by an orthopedist or podiatrist. Anything they tell you should be taken over anything read here.

The tennis ball roll is a good idea, but at the end of the day use a frozen water bottle instead.

Never, ever go anywhere barefoot. Crocs saved my life even though they are the ugliest things.

For my running, I find heel cups help the best for me, but custom orthotics work better for others. My suggestion would be to always start cheap, see if it works and go up from there.
Me too, for this.

Wrap it rather tight. Keep wrapped for support as often as you can during day-to-day. Immobilize foot if you can, particularly down time at home.You are experiencing a stretch of the connective tissue. You dont want it to stretch, you want it to heal.It cant heal if you keep stretching it. Thus the wrap.Soak in deep heat when resting, use epsom salts. Heat may cause it to hurt, but you want it to heal as fast as you can.Increased circulation helps, but makes you feel it.Time.
you better check this with a pro 'cuz my buddy has had this problem and they have him icing and stretching -- he said it helped.

Wrap it rather tight. Keep wrapped for support as often as you can during day-to-day. Immobilize foot if you can, particularly down time at home.You are experiencing a stretch of the connective tissue. You dont want it to stretch, you want it to heal.It cant heal if you keep stretching it. Thus the wrap.Soak in deep heat when resting, use epsom salts. Heat may cause it to hurt, but you want it to heal as fast as you can.Increased circulation helps, but makes you feel it.Time.
you better check this with a pro 'cuz my buddy has had this problem and they have him icing and stretching -- he said it helped.
Yea, the foot/ankle docs and the sports rehab guy told me the exact opposite of everything in bigsteel's post. :mellow: Ice, stretch, massage (stick + lacross ball), keep active with proper support (tape, shoes). :thumbup:

I hurt my back one time and didn't know #### about #### so I was putting heat on it all the time, not knowing any better.

the problem with that is that there's already inflammation due to the injury and the heat just makes it worse -- I ended up pinching a nerve because of that.

when I finally had it checked out they said a few minutes of heat was ok, but definitely ice it right after and as often as I can --- heat can #### you up, they told me, but ice never hurts anything.

I hurt my back one time and didn't know #### about #### so I was putting heat on it all the time, not knowing any better.the problem with that is that there's already inflammation due to the injury and the heat just makes it worse -- I ended up pinching a nerve because of that.when I finally had it checked out they said a few minutes of heat was ok, but definitely ice it right after and as often as I can --- heat can #### you up, they told me, but ice never hurts anything.
Best thing I've ever found for back pain is to wear a weight lifting belt for a day, usually just overnight it helps. I think it is because it allows the back added rest because the belt gives something for the muscles to push against and helps relieve some of the effort for supporting the torso. Works every time for me, but I only get strains, I don't have a chronic condition.

I really tried resting it a few months ago and it worked great. But I had to remember stuff like wearing these padded flip flops around the house and just keeping off it. But it worked. And yet other times when I just can't stay off my feet all day (like coaching/teaching) it doesn't seem to matter what I do the pain will be there.

Users who are viewing this thread