What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread-Playoffs-Indianapolis@Kansas (2 Viewers)

Would anyone take Faulk over James? I wouldn't, but it's mostly because I'm scared of "the music stopping" on Faulk this year or next.

Yes. Which one of these do you put Edge ahead of?Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Clinton Portis, Ladanian Tomlinson, Ahman Green. I'd also put Duece McCalister ahead of Edge.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. From a 1 pt/rec perspective, I would probably take James over Lewis. I would put Alexander just behind too.

Defense wins Championships but you don't need it too make the playoffs.
Defense wins championships - except when the offense wins it, or a balanced team wins it. I think the "DWC" line is overused, and trotted out whever it's convenient. But if you look at a deep sample of results, I don't see any proof of it.Yeah, the last three NFL titles have gone to defense-first teams. Still, I don't think that proves anything - that's a tiny sample. Look long-term and you'll find that championship teams are usually good at most things. Donte Hall in the end zone. If you like punting, this won't be your day! :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would anyone take Faulk over James? I wouldn't, but it's mostly because I'm scared of "the music stopping" on Faulk this year or next.
It's too early to tell IMO. Too many question marks on that Rams squad, like who is the QB? Faulk looked slow in the divisional playoff yesterday. Decline is what I have in mind.

Both are injury risks since neither one can seem to make it through a season healthy anymore. But I'd give a slight edge to Edge based only on him being younger. It's very possible Faulk could slip out of the Top 10 in some rankings next year. That wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Boom. This game is going exactly as I anticipated it. Let's see if the Colts can hang on the road in a full blown shoot-out, b/c the Chiefs will probably be pouring it on all game long.One thing I do know (having owned TGreen and Gonzo this past year and TGreen last year) is that the score does not matter, the Chiefs will continue to pass the ball all game long and won't ever simply try to run the clock out. In both the Cleveland game and the Buffalo game during the regular season, the team was pouring on points into the late fourth quarter, and were passing the ball - - a lot.

Chiefs score on short pass to Dante Hall. Anyone else think (former Cooper Cougar) Dominic Rhodes has looked horrible returning kickoffs today?

Both are injury risks since neither one can seem to make it through a season healthy anymore. But I'd give a slight edge to Edge based only on him being younger. It's very possible Faulk could slip out of the Top 10 in some rankings next year. That wouldn't surprise me a bit.
Faulk's on my do not draft list - even if he returns. I could see him retiring if the team retains Martz.James is an enigma - I will unlikley be willing to draft him in the first, but if I am drafting late in the first, and he's there on my comeback, how can I pass?

Chiefs score on short pass to Dante Hall. Anyone else think (former Cooper Cougar) Dominic Rhodes has looked horrible returning kickoffs today?
Rhodes has looked slow and indecisive to me, agreed.

Yes. Which one of these do you put Edge ahead of?Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Clinton Portis, Ladanian Tomlinson, Ahman Green. I'd also put Duece McCalister ahead of Edge.
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. From a 1 pt/rec perspective, I would probably take James over Lewis. I would put Alexander just behind too.
yeh, but wouldnt that put Deuce over James? :yes:

Faulk's on my do not draft list - even if he returns. I could see him retiring if the team retains Martz.James is an enigma - I will unlikley be willing to draft him in the first, but if I am drafting late in the first, and he's there on my comeback, how can I pass?
I'd be flabbergasted if Faulk retired, but I agree, he's someone I won't be taking (unless the flow of the draft goes very, very wrong and I'm painted into a corner).

Manning just had three weeks to throw, slightly over-threw Harrison.Did the Chiefs bring any pass rushers today?James just got a huge, easy gain on the left end. Man is KC horrendous in run defense. It's embarrassing. Maybe Onterrio Smith really *isn't* that good . . . : )

That's how I'm looking at him too. I would not want him as my No. 1 RB unless I had a #### good No. 2. I just don't have confidence in Edge being a bona-fide No. 1 RB anymore. I see him more as an upper-tier No. 2 who will have some No. 1 moments. But if I'm sitting at the end of the first round (say 9-12 in a 12-team league), he's going to be a tough guy to pass on since I have a lot of questions about the guys who likely will be around him in that spot (F. Taylor, Faulk, S.Davis, Henry maybe). As far as Faulk goes, he's a guy I also might pass on simply because I don't trust him to stay healthy and I wonder if the decline is starting to set in (however it's worth noting he did perform quite well from a fantasy perspective after returning from the injury this year). Here's the thing, though, if you're picking 12th and you want a No. 2 RB, would you pass on Faulk there if he's the best RB on the board? That would be tough to do. Faulk as a No. 2 RB would have the potential for tremendous value.

I'd be flabbergasted if Faulk retired, but I agree, he's someone I won't be taking (unless the flow of the draft goes very, very wrong and I'm painted into a corner).
At the risk of a hijack, I believe Faulk looks at his own injury history (including this past year when he supposedly was stronger and well rested heading into the season), looks at Mike Martz as his team's coach, and sees the reality that if Martz continues to be his coach, he won't see a Super Bowl again.That said, I can't see Faulk playing for the Rams past 2004 under any circumstances. He might (like Jordan) be convinced to come back another year even though he's "done" with the game (he can't do anything more except win another Bowl), but he won't hang on as a player with declining skills on a mediocre team.And trust me - Martz is coaching that very talented team into mediocrity.

Defense wins championships - except when the offense wins it, or a balanced team wins it. I think the "DWC" line is overused, and trotted out whever it's convenient. But if you look at a deep sample of results, I don't see any proof of it.
Tell you what. I'll give you the winner of this game, and I'll take the Pats next week. :yes:

I really like Marcus Pollard. Always have. I think it would be a criminal waste of his talent if the Colts turned him into mainly a blocker again next year when Clark is healthy.

Defense wins championships - except when the offense wins it, or a balanced team wins it. I think the "DWC" line is overused, and trotted out whever it's convenient. But if you look at a deep sample of results, I don't see any proof of it.
Tell you what. I'll give you the winner of this game, and I'll take the Pats next week. :yes:
I'm originally from the NE area, so I hope you're right. Plus winning at New England in January looks like a very hard thing to do. I don't think one result proves anyone's theory, yours or mine. I seem to remember the 49ers winning a lot of titles with offense. The 1999 Rams were an offensive juggernaut. USC had a good defense this year, but the offense carried them. The Colts don't have the defense Denver does, but last week it surely didn't matter. This is not meant as a real detailed answer. I'd have to fully research it to properly do that - and I suppose I should respect the thread and not hijack. Maybe we'll discuss this backstage, respectfully of course. If defense is all that mattered, Tampa Bay's last 5-6 years would have been a lot more fruitful.Make it 21-10, Colts. Oh my. :yes:

Hard to overlook Edge's last 8 games this season:

189 carries, 803 yards, 4.25/carry, 9 TDs

35 catches, 202 yards

If that's not an indicator that he's back, I don't know what is. I'll gladly take him next year, in the right spot.

2,000 total yards and at least 15 TDs shouldn't be out of the question.

Let's see what Vermeil is made of. IMO the correct move here is to stick with running Holmes, and give that defense some rest.... this is gonna be interesting.

35 catches, 202 yards

If that's not an indicator that he's back, I don't know what is. I'll gladly take him next year, in the right spot.

He's still not top 5, anyway you look at it.

35 catches, 202 yards

That's a great run, though LT, Holmes, Green and Lewis outscored James over that period in most leagues, and Faulk and Portis were awfully close. Don't get me wrong, James owners were happy in the second half of the year. But he wasn't the only guy doin' it, which makes his run a little less exciting on comparison.

Why does the clock keep running after Gonzalez gets pushed out of bounds? I've seen it happen before but I have never heard the rule behind it.

Is it me, or has Trent Green improved dramatically this year? Great offensive line? Maybe I should wait until after this game is over, but I'm thinking Green will be drafted at a lot higher next year than most of us will be willing to take him.

Why does the clock keep running after Gonzalez gets pushed out of bounds? I've seen it happen before but I have never heard the rule behind it.
I was wondering the same.And that was NOT pass interference.

Manning and Green are getting a lot of time to throw.edit - if only Green's guys could catch it.

as a manning fan...it would be nice to get a win here. although he has gotten the monkey away from his neck...i still think that its on his back in terms of playoff performance.i still wish he would do a little less audibling at the line.

as a manning fan...it would be nice to get a win here. although he has gotten the monkey away from his neck...i still think that its on his back in terms of playoff performance.i still wish he would do a little less audibling at the line.
Thought it was a pretty good audible to hurry up when they were 3rd and 4, when the Chiefs had 15 players on the field.Almost worked, but Barber got the timeout called just in time

Killer turnover by Holmes after a super one. The Chiefs can't afford to squander scoring opportunities. Did anyone else hear Enberg say "he has one man to beat" when Holmes was surrounded by three Colts? Man, this guy has really lost it.

That run is better than a punt, but still - I think that's the first time I've seen Holmes fumble in a long time.

Man, is Enberg awful . . .

Holmes breaks off a long run. "One man to beat!" Oh My crows.

Of course, Holmes is dragged down by two defenders, with one more potentially in the play. And oh yeah, he fumbles.

So much for "one man to beat."

I hope Enberg has a personal driver. Tell me he isn't on the road at night.

As a Dolphan, I am about to commit sacrilage:Manning = Marino - you give him more than 2 seconds in the pocket and rack it up as a completion.You are watching what Marino could have done if he had a running game and a defense.

I'm curious as to what people think James has lost from his pre-injury days. I just don't see it. I understand that KC has no run D, but he looks about the same to me.

As a Dolphan, I am about to commit sacrilage:Manning = Marino - you give him more than 2 seconds in the pocket and rack it up as a completion.You are watching what Marino could have done if he had a running game and a defense.
You make it sound like Marino had some rag-tag career. The NFL record book is a tribute to the man! Of course, Manning needs to prove it next week, too (if they get that far) to be elevated to the legendary level. You don't go to Canton by winning Divisional Playoff games.

Death, taxes, Vanderjagt in 2003-04. Not an easy conversion, with the bad snap - the timing could have easily gotten mucked up.Nah, right down the middle.

Place is pretty loud cheering for a team about to go down by 14 points.
KC really needs to stick to their gameplan, and hope that the breaks start to come in their favor. The turnovers have to stop, and I think it would be a big mistake to start throwing the ball every down at this point. Stick with what got ya here, run to Holmes, and pass to Gonzo.And pray that your defense can somehow stop the MVP QB (who is arguing with his OC on the sidelines).

You make it sound like Marino had some rag-tag career. The NFL record book is a tribute to the man! Of course, Manning needs to prove it next week, too (if they get that far) to be elevated to the legendary level. You don't go to Canton by winning Divisional Playoff games.
Dude, he had an awesome career that Manning would LOVE to have - 1 Super Bowl appearance, 3 AFC Champ appearances, division title after division title, always in the playoffs, and every major passing record in the book.But, what you are watching with the Colts is Dan Marino in his 6th or 7th year (with ten more to play, mind you), except he's got a perrenial 1G+ rusher in James, and a defense that is decent.Trust me. you do NOT need to tell me how good Dan Marino was - I watched every single professional game the man played, and several of his college games

Users who are viewing this thread