What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gin (1 Viewer)

John Bender

Footballguy
I like how each brand can taste different from the last.

Trying out Hendricks for the first time tonight and looking forward to it.

Give me some high/low dollar recommendations for future reference. TIA

First finger of Hendricks down.

great stuff. You can almost go neat with it it

Last edited by a moderator:
Plymouth Gin is a winner.i have a bottle of this i brought back from London last year, it is also excellent:http://www.oxleygin.com/#/homewith club soda or ice, never tonic (don't like the extra calories/sugar)
What's a 750 ML bottle of Plymouth typically run?

Greatly prefer Bombay Saf to Hendricks. But then Hendricks is cucumber infused and I don't like cucumbers, so consider the source.

Tried Martin Miller Gin recently and loved it. Not easy to find, otherwise could possibly replace Bombay as my go-to. Will need to try more before making that conclusion anyway tho.

Among the popular, better known brands I prefer Tanqueray. Nice taste and 94.6 proof

I like Bombay Sapphire, Tanquery too, and would also like to add than gin really works good.
The difference in taste is stark. I prefer the Bombay if I'm drinking it straight up.I go with the Tanquery when mixing with some Ginger Ale or Tonic
I do like me some Gordon's and Beefeaters too, but I like strong tasting booze. I think Beefeaters/Gordon's may be the best value to taste out there. What vermouth do you use in your martinis?

I like it. Gin and tonic was my go to drink when I graduated into adulthood. I had to stop however, because I smelled like a boozed-up Christmas tree the next day. That #### seeped out of every pore.

Oooof. Gin....

I can't drink it anymore. I become a different person when I drink Gin. You ever want to really know what I'm thinking, give me 5 Gin and Tonics first.

'17seconds said:
I don't know anything about various gins because once I had Bombay Sapphire that's all I ever put in a martini.Like Tanqueray and tonic.
I like Beefeater for my martinis. little drier. On the gin discussion, I just picked up some Seagrams gin for some heavy drinking tonight. Decent quality for the price.

I don't know if this can be found anywhere outside of the Colorado area but my favorite Gin is from Leopold Bros which is a little distillery in Denver. If I'm going cheap I'll do New Amsterdam which runs about $20 for a 1.75l.

I too like the OP enjoy the different tastes different gins bring. I also have found I like regular bombay more than its saphire counterpart. Those of you that have not tried the original, should. A couple not yet mentioned here that I like are Bell Ringer (value stuff), and Boodles (what I am drinking now).

'Kev4029 said:
I don't know if this can be found anywhere outside of the Colorado area but my favorite Gin is from Leopold Bros which is a little distillery in Denver. If I'm going cheap I'll do New Amsterdam which runs about $20 for a 1.75l.
New Amsterdam is the best value out there for gin. I think its better than Tanqueray and it costs about half the price in any size.Sapphire and Plymouth are also very good, but considerably more expensive. Broker's is another one that I liked but I havent seen it in a store in about 5 years.

in general i feel like i get better boners after drinking a reasonable amount (but not a sloppy amount) of gin

anyone else think this?

I mean there has to be a reason it's called whiskey dong and not gin dong

'pittstownkiller said:
'John Bender said:
'pittstownkiller said:
I like Bombay Sapphire, Tanquery too, and would also like to add than gin really works good.
The difference in taste is stark. I prefer the Bombay if I'm drinking it straight up.I go with the Tanquery when mixing with some Ginger Ale or Tonic
I do like me some Gordon's and Beefeaters too, but I like strong tasting booze. I think Beefeaters/Gordon's may be the best value to taste out there. What vermouth do you use in your martinis?
I usually use Gordons too, but Tanquery 10 is a great gin for martinis. Doesnt have that tanquery taste that goes well with tonic. Hard to find as I think it's a new product. For vermouth, nothing beats the old stand by, Gallo. Martini and Rossi just doesnt do it for me.

Ok.

Hendricks was ok but not nearly as smooth as Bombay. always been a Bombay drinker when going straight up.

Think I'll save 10 bucks a bottle and stick with the Bombay. I love that stuff but maybe though I was missing out on some next level stuff. The thread has confirmed it's good stuff.

Back to the Bombay

'Kev4029 said:
:goodposting: Gin is my fallback when tequila doesn't sound right. I'm a huge fan of Leopold and prefer it to any of the mass produced corporate swill in this thread.

For those who like hand crafted products Death's Door is a great Gin but I'm told it varies from batch to batch. Fennel comes through nicely and blends with the bright wild organic juniper berries to pretty much make all but the most premium British Gins look watered down and generic in comparison.

Blue Coat is another handcrafted American gin with big Juniper forward flavor I think is better than everything else in this thread.

:/patrioticginsnob:

I typically drink super dry martinis with Boodles.
Had Boodles for the first time in forever (probably since I was on my John D. MacDonald kick).

Exceptionally smooth.

Probably won't displace Bombay Sapphire/Hendricks, but certainly merits a place in the lineup.

Oooof. Gin.... I can't drink it anymore. I become a different person when I drink Gin. You ever want to really know what I'm thinking, give me 5 Gin and Tonics first.
Doctor Jimmy and mister Jim

When I'm pilled you don't notice him,

He only comes out when I drink my gin.

Gins we keep in the house:

Bluecoat - really like this one, and it's brewed in Philly by an independent guy (UPenn grad that I had dinner with once).

Hendrick's - lends itself to some fruitier mixing applications

Sapphire - all around go to gin

Citadelle - just tried for the first time and wife seems to like it. Low cost and very approachable for different uses

Maxim - Also low cost and very clean/bright. From France.

Ballast Point Old Grove Gin + tonic. Mmm.

For a little darker gin, Ballast Point Barrel Rested Old Grove Gin is good too.

By the way, this stuff is pretty good. Heard about it on an Alton Brown podcast and finally gave it a try. Doesn't have the nasty bitterness that some tonics have and you can control how much/little "tonic" flavor you want in your drink. If you can find it, I recommend giving it a shot. Their grenadine is also nice. Lots of pomegranate flavor, not as sweet as supermarket stuff.

I was gifted a bottle of Ransom Old Tom Gin over the holidays. Its apparently only available in Oregon. I love it. There is some malted barley in the grain bill and it is barrel aged, so really a very unique taste. I've only had it neat so far, but expect it will be great in cocktails.

http://www.ransomspirits.com/media/oldtomtechsheet.pdf
It's available in Illinois. I've tried a few "Old Tom" brands and like this one the best. Highly suggest to anyone if you can find this, buy it.

Just picked up a couple bottles from local distilleries here in Colorado.

Leopold's Navy Strength and Dancing Pines. Both excellent if you're ever in the area and want to try something new.

Users who are viewing this thread