What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it ever ok to use a belt to discipline your child? (1 Viewer)

Is it acceptable to use a belt or other object to discipline your child?

• Yes as long as it's not excessive

Votes: 120 21.4%
  • Yes, but only for very rare occasions

Votes: 107 19.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 316 56.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 19 3.4%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
There's a thread about the Dad that got videotaped beating his son with a belt while playing catch. While most find it excessive in that situation, I'm truly shocked by how many seem to think using a belt is sometimes ok.

IMO, a belt or other object other than a hand should never be used to discipline a child. And even simple spankings should not be the norm. But, it seems that just because some of you were hit with belts as a kid and turned out fine that it's no big deal.

I hope this poll doesn't turn out like that thread seems to indicate it might, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
All appropriate forms of discipline should be on the table for use. Used appropriately the can all be effective. That includes the monkey wrench. :yes:

There's a thread about the Dad that got videotaped beating his son with a belt while playing catch. While most find it excessive in that situation, I'm truly shocked by how many seem to think using a belt is sometimes ok.

IMO, a belt or other object other than a hand should never be used to discipline a child. And even simple spankings should not be the norm. But, it seems that just because some of you were hit with belts as a kid and turned out fine that it's no big deal.

I hope this poll doesn't turn out like that thread seems to indicate it might, but we'll see.
I can't even get behind this. You should not have to hit a child to discipline them. I guess I don't see much of an outcome besides your child fearing you and/or thinking that is the way that they should handle their business too.

Plenty of parents have raised happy, well adjusted kids, and still maintain good relationships with their kids. And they used belts or paddles.

So yes it's ok.

I personally don't think I'll ever use a belt, but that's me.

If it's gotten to the point where your child has done something to warrant having to use a belt to get your point across, something has gone wrong long before that point.

I am curious to get examples of what your child has done to warrant hitting them from those of you who think this is ok.

Also, how is this possibly more acceptable than hitting a woman?

I never got spanked for things like spilling milk, or breaking something in the house...it was always used when I did things like sneak out of the house after dark when my parents told me I wasnt allowed to, or sneaking out when I was grounded. I got spanked one time when me and my best friend egged a neighbors house and cars and set a bag of dog poo on fire on their porch. I got the belt another time for getting caught stealing a pack of baseball cards from a convenience store when I was about 7 or 8 (hat was the last time I ever shoplifted anything from anywhere).

Things like that.

Edit to add: I probably got the belt maybe 7 or 8 times total. I learned not to do the kinds of things that would result in the belt being brought into the equation.

I can't even get behind this. You should not have to hit a child to discipline them. I guess I don't see much of an outcome besides your child fearing you and/or thinking that is the way that they should handle their business too.
Yeah that line stood out to me as well. So hitting a child is ok as long as it is the hand and not an object??? I'm assuming that gianmarco is saying this because they feel that the hand is not as severe??

Posts in this thread shoud really come with a declaration of whether or not you have kids.

Yeah that line stood out to me as well. So hitting a child is ok as long as it is the hand and not an object??? I'm assuming that gianmarco is saying this because they feel that the hand is not as severe??
The point of that was a "reflex" spanking done spur of the moment when a kid does something inappropriate and not meant to cause pain. That's different than reaching for an instrument to strike a child with. And I can understand that some people view it all the same and think any kind of hitting is inappropriate and have no problem with that viewpoint either.

I am curious to get examples of what your child has done to warrant hitting them from those of you who think this is ok. Also, how is this possibly more acceptable than hitting a woman?
Because its not hitting. Unless I course you are belting your kids across the face.Spankings were rarely effective with me because the pain of a paddling on the butt, was so temporary. Taking away my Nintendo was far more effective.But many use it and things turn out just fine.I know that hard for many of you, who are convinced you are right, to believe, but it's true.There are still schools that allow paddling, if parents sign off.So legally, it is not hitting nor is it abuse.

The point of that was a "reflex" spanking done spur of the moment when a kid does something inappropriate and not meant to cause pain. That's different than reaching for an instrument to strike a child with. And I can understand that some people view it all the same and think any kind of hitting is inappropriate and have no problem with that viewpoint either.
Actually the 'experts' say that reflex spanking, as you call it, or spanking in anger, is what you should NOT do.

That's why I received one of my two beltings as a kid. KO'd my sister with a right hook, learned right quick to never hit another girl again.I don't have a problem with it, for severe cases like mine.

Plenty of parents have raised happy, well adjusted kids, and still maintain good relationships with their kids. And they used belts or paddles.

So yes it's ok.

I personally don't think I'll ever use a belt, but that's me.
link?

Interested in seeing how many fbg's support child abuse. :popcorn:
Why is spanking child abuse? Look I am not talking about beating him till he bleeds, but a swat and to be honest the action is worse than the actual pain that the belt does to the buttock.Are you saying that every generation before this generation has been abused?

I am curious to get examples of what your child has done to warrant hitting them from those of you who think this is ok.

Because its not hitting. Unless I course you are belting your kids across the face.Spankings were rarely effective with me because the pain of a paddling on the butt, was so temporary. Taking away my Nintendo was far more effective.

But many use it and things turn out just fine.

I know that hard for many of you, who are convinced you are right, to believe, but it's true.

There are still schools that allow paddling, if parents sign off.

So legally, it is not hitting nor is it abuse.
:confused: How is striking a kid with a belt not hitting them? It's only "hitting" if you do it across their face?

OK - you are pissed at your wife because she put a dent in your car. Is it acceptable to take off your belt and hit her with it?

the lack of good beatdowns is one of the major problems with society these days
Um, no. Beatdowns among adults is important. Beating children? Not so much. Use your ####### brains you inbreds, and PARENT your children before it gets to the point of having to beat them. And if your son hits his sister, hold his arms and let the sister hit him once. Fair is fair, after all.

Interested in seeing how many fbg's support child abuse. :popcorn:
Why is spanking child abuse? Look I am not talking about beating him till he bleeds, but a swat and to be honest the action is worse than the actual pain that the belt does to the buttock.Are you saying that every generation before this generation has been abused?
If an adult was hitting a child with a foreign object and inflicting serious pain? Yes. But not everybody did it. And remember, times used to be much harder and much more stressful than they are today in this country. That was form of living that we are not familiar with.

Um, no. Beatdowns among adults is important. Beating children? Not so much. Use your ####### brains you inbreds, and PARENT your children before it gets to the point of having to beat them. And if your son hits his sister, hold his arms and let the sister hit him once. Fair is fair, after all.
Now THAT makes sense. :rolleyes:

So it's ok for his sister to spank him but not his parents? What if he hit her 20 times? Do you hold him while she wails on him? Which one do you REALLY think sends a better message? Parent's spanking or siblings spanking? I'm pretty sure I'd never consider it a learning moment if my siblings beat me.

i didn't say just beatdowns for kids.i mean all sorts of beatdowns... i'm an equal opportunity beat-downer. kids, wives, husbands, single dudes, internet posters.people are running a muck. no schtick. society needs more rigid social standards 40's and 50's style.

It's child abuse, and just because you were abused as a child doesn't mean it's ok to beat your child too. "I turned out ok" isn't a good reason. You likely would have turned out much better if your parents hadn't taken the easy way out.

Louis CK nails it on the head here @ around 4:55 and on:

Yeah, have your kid do your dirty work for you.

i didn't say just beatdowns for kids.i mean all sorts of beatdowns... i'm an equal opportunity beat-downer. kids, wives, husbands, single dudes, internet posters.people are running a muck. no schtick. society needs more rigid social standards 40's and 50's style.
The '40s and '50s sucked balls. You can have 'em.

Yeah, have your kid do your dirty work for you.
I was kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread