What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buying A New Television (1 Viewer)

Banemorth

Footballguy
Apologies if this topic as been done to death. Did a forum search and didn't see any recent topics!

Alright so I'd like to buy a new 60 Inch TV for under 2 grand. I don't give a damn about 3D, Smart TV, etc. I have a PS3/Xbox360/Wii so enough inputs would be nice. I was going through Amazon just trying to pick the highest reviewed but it feels like there's a lot of fluff reviews in there. Would like to hear from you sports nuts.

I've got a Panasonic ST30 series. I think it's been one of most recommended when this thread has come up in the past.

Abe's of Maine has some very good deals (e.g., free mount with TV purchase on Panny 55ST50<--my recommendation, and you can go to 60" if you want), but thoroughly read their return policy. If you don't like it, you keep it. Also be sure to thoroughly unpack and inspect before signing the delivery manifest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from Abe's of Main.YWIA
Thanks for the protip! Checking them out and their pricing seems to be inline with Amazon. What makes them so awesome?
I've ordered a couple things from them in the past. A buddy of mine ordered a TV from them and raved about them and the set. I'm surprised their prices are similar to Amazon. Probably 6 of one/half dozen of another which one you choose if that's the case.

I've got a Panasonic ST30 series. I think it's been one of most recommended when this thread has come up in the past.
:goodposting: I bought my last TV based on threads here, and the vast majority of posters recommended a Panasonic plasma. I picked up last year's 55" model and really like it. Last week my brother bought the new model, a 60" from Amazon for about $1500. He's been very happy as well.

:goodposting: I bought my last TV based on threads here, and the vast majority of posters recommended a Panasonic plasma. I picked up last year's 55" model and really like it. Last week my brother bought the new model, a 60" from Amazon for about $1500. He's been very happy as well.
The only difference between ST30 and ST50 is the built-in WiFi?

So Plasma over LED/LCD? I heard LED was the best for sports.
I like plasma better (by a lot) for sports. I think the picture quality is crisper. But it may depend on lighting in your room and personal preference.
Agreed...I've got a plasma and an LCD...the picture on the plasma is much better for sports. That being said, the plasma screen picks up a lot of natural light and is best suited in a darker room.

So Plasma over LED/LCD? I heard LED was the best for sports.
Plasma has a 600 HZ refresh rate and will reproduce motion much more smoothly than a 120hz LED.Being GREEN or needing the TV to be ultra flat would be the only logical reason to choose LED technology over Plasma.

I think so, but I didn't really look into it. I know he paid $500 more for his... I got mine right before the Super Bowl for $999.

I think so, but I didn't really look into it. I know he paid $500 more for his... I got mine right before the Super Bowl for $999.
Just looked and notice the ST50 is newer and has a slightly smaller bezel (outside frame). Abut $240 difference right now.I'm here because my Samsung plasma just died.. but I'll probably just get it fixed (power supply most likely).Plasma all the way... would never get LCD or LED.

Just looked and notice the ST50 is newer and has a slightly smaller bezel (outside frame). Abut $240 difference right now.I'm here because my Samsung plasma just died.. but I'll probably just get it fixed (power supply most likely).

Plasma all the way... would never get LCD or LED.
I also prefer Plasma. This might be more TV than you are looking for, but CNET is calling this the best HDTV out there right now. Many other sites also have glowing reviews of this set. I've had the 55" model sitting in my cart over at Amazon.com for a week or so, as currently it's priced at $1945 (about $200 less than anywhere else). They do have a larger model available.Amazon

CNET review

Here's a review of the less expensive ST model...also highly reviewed...might be more what you're looking for.

CNET review of Panny ST50

And this is why I asked. Thank you all for your thoughts on this!!!

So it seems like Panasonic Plasma is the clear cut winner here. Now just need to decide on the model! Really wanted a big ### 60 inch TV. What say you all about this 60 Inch ST50?

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PSTCP60ST50&id=PSTCP60ST50&&kbid=*

$1,730. Seems like a great buy to me.

It's 30 bucks cheaper on Amazon but I'll take Abe's with the free mounting kit and shipping.

Not sure why you would buy a TV from Abe's of Main with this return policy (or lack thereof):

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor Purchase Policy

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor purchases are special orders and can only be canceled prior to the shipment of the order. Customers cannot cancel an order that is en route.

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor orders come with full Manufacturer's Warranties. Most include in-home service.

TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitors are not returnable to Abe's of Maine. If initially defective they must be serviced by an Authorized Service Technician. Abe's of Maine can help you locate your nearest Authorized Service Technician.

Upon delivery, it is the consumer's sole responsibility to inspect the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/ Monitor to insure that it is not physically damaged.

DO NOT SIGN the delivery manifest until you have inspected the TV/Big Screen/Rear Projection/Monitor. Once you sign for the item, you are signing acceptance of the product physically as is and CANNOT refute the charges for a physically damaged unit from that point forward.

If the merchandise is damaged, please make a notation on the delivery manifest, and have the delivery person sign as a witness to the damage.

If you are refuse the delivery of an undamaged TV, you are responsible for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges for the delivery BOTH WAYS. Please note that a refund will be issued for the cost of the product only. You will not be reimbursed for the shipping, handling, and insurance charges.

If your television does arrive damaged please contact our customer service department immediately at 800-992-2237 ext. 2 so that we can arrange for a replacement to be shipped out.

Please note that all televisions with 6 or less dead pixels is industry standard for all manufacturer's. There will be no refunds or exchanges for television with 6 or less dead pixels.
When you can buy it cheaper from Amazon.com and this return policy:
Televisions

TVs purchased from Amazon.com, or from a seller but fulfilled by Amazon, will have FREE Return Shipping (via the Online Returns Center) up to 30 days from the date you receive the TV.

The TV must be in new condition with the original packaging and accessories. Products missing the serial number or UPC cannot be accepted; refunds will not issue refunds for such items.

Amazon.com and most sellers accept returns for large TVs that are shipped LTL or freight shipped via specialty shippers. If you need to return a TV that was shipped via a specialty shipper, visit the Online Returns Center and request the return. You will be sent instructions for returning the TV.

For all other returns, please visit the Online Returns Center. To view a seller's return policy, click Return items in the Online Returns Center, then click the "seller profile" link to reach the seller's storefront. From there, you can read more about the seller and its return
A wall mount shouldn't cost $150 unless you are looking at what they offer you for free. I'd rather save the $30 and use that to buy my own and know that if I change my mind on the TV in the first 30 days, I am not stuck with it. Shipping at Amazon for something that expensive should already be free even if you aren't Prime.Also, right on Amazon.com, here is a wall mount for $29.99 with a free HDMI cable that is also eligible for free shipping.

Thank you Stbugs. I am actually going to go with Amazon because I just learned that Abe's is based in NJ and I'd rather not pay the 7% sales tax if I don't have to. :)

Thank you Stbugs. I am actually going to go with Amazon because I just learned that Abe's is based in NJ and I'd rather not pay the 7% sales tax if I don't have to. :)
No problem. Anything over $25 on Amazon is usually free and the "freebies" are never actually worth as much someone says they are. I just don't get how any local web site could ever beat someone like Amazon in overall value, unless you live in a state where Amazon charges sales tax. Maybe a couple bucks, but that deal looks dead even and then Amazon has a much better return policy.

No problem. Anything over $25 on Amazon is usually free and the "freebies" are never actually worth as much someone says they are. I just don't get how any local web site could ever beat someone like Amazon in overall value, unless you live in a state where Amazon charges sales tax. Maybe a couple bucks, but that deal looks dead even and then Amazon has a much better return policy.
Yeah when buying a big ticket item like this sales tax in Jersey would run me about $120. Yeoch. I'm actually an Amazon Prime member myself.

I got a great deal on a Panasonic Viera GT-30 65" for under $1,700; GT is the next step up from ST.
What's the difference between an ST-50 and a GT-30? I can get the GT-30 for about the same price:http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65GT30-65-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME75Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340131709&sr=1-1&keywords=Viera+GT-3065 INCHES OF GLORY! :excited:

Abes of maine is based in new jersey?
I was as surprised as you are.
From their site:
It all started back in 1979 when three brothers launched a summer shop out of Old Orchard Beach, near Portland, Maine. The store was named after the eldest son, Abe and thus Abe's Electronics Center was born....In 1986 the Abe's of Maine family moved to a more convenient location - Brooklyn, New York. In magazine ads, there was a small addition beneath our name that informed customers where we were located, with the words "of Maine". After the first few years our reputation came to be known as that awesome electronics store, from or "of Maine".Eventually we acknowledged our nickname and started to call ourselves Abe's of Maine, just like our customers. By the time we relocated to Brooklyn, Abe's of Maine had acquired a hard earned reputation as a store with a competent sales team, helpful customer service, and great prices. Therefore we opted to keep the long name intact, even though we were no longer "of Maine"....We've had countless satisfied customers and great memories from our experiences in Brooklyn, but we outgrew our building and needed to expand our ever growing network. In early 2006 we made the move to our current location; a state-of-the-art showroom and warehouse, located at 5 Fernwood Avenue in Edison, New Jersey.

I got a great deal on a Panasonic Viera GT-30 65" for under $1,700; GT is the next step up from ST.
What's the difference between an ST-50 and a GT-30? I can get the GT-30 for about the same price:http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P65GT30-65-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004MME75Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340131709&sr=1-1&keywords=Viera+GT-3065 INCHES OF GLORY! :excited:
30 is 2011 model, 50 is 2012 model; ST is base, GT is middle, VT is top. It appears Panny updated their screens with the 50's, so the ST-50 is probably better than the GT-30 but I have not looked through the specs.

Just looked and notice the ST50 is newer and has a slightly smaller bezel (outside frame). Abut $240 difference right now.I'm here because my Samsung plasma just died.. but I'll probably just get it fixed (power supply most likely).

Plasma all the way... would never get LCD or LED.
I also prefer Plasma. This might be more TV than you are looking for, but CNET is calling this the best HDTV out there right now. Many other sites also have glowing reviews of this set. I've had the 55" model sitting in my cart over at Amazon.com for a week or so, as currently it's priced at $1945 (about $200 less than anywhere else). They do have a larger model available.Amazon

CNET review

Here's a review of the less expensive ST model...also highly reviewed...might be more what you're looking for.

CNET review of Panny ST50
I've never paid for the top tier set, it's usually not worth the difference. I buy 2nd tier and make sure the thing is calibrated, sometimes professionally, sometimes on my own if I think the grayscale and color is accurate enough out of the box.Looks like repairing my Samsung is going to run me $380.. gotta do that vs. 4X or more on a new set.. dammit.. I hate the feeling of shelling out cash like that to have the same thing I had yesterday.

Also a Panasonic Plasma fanboy. Has been the only TV's I've owned since my first purchase a few years ago.

Unfortunately they just keep getting bigger...My daughters who are to young to even play games or watch tv in their bedroom have the first 50" we got. Then we got a 58", and then in December we bought a 60"....Im not sure how a 50" will look in the bathroom but thats where its going once we upgrade again and things move down the line...FML

Did a couple of posts in this TV thread about strengths and weaknesses between plasma, lcd/led, etc. Two biggest differences for many people are based on your room brightness and viewing angles. LCD/LED tend to be brighter so may do better in a room that is brightly lit or gets sunlight during the day. If you will tend to have a lot of viewing from extreme angles, plasma tend to hold picture quality better at extreme angles.

Suggest you check reviews on cnet.com.

I have a darker living room and LOVE the Plasma. The LCD's in the other living room, downstairs and bedroom are ok too but I prefer plasma. I buy from Costco in Delaware. No tax and double the mfg warranty. If you don't like it they switch it out. Can't beat Costco but you have to like what they have.

I have a darker living room and LOVE the Plasma. The LCD's in the other living room, downstairs and bedroom are ok too but I prefer plasma. I buy from Costco in Delaware. No tax and double the mfg warranty. If you don't like it they switch it out. Can't beat Costco but you have to like what they have.
I'm in North Jersey or I'd hop over to Delaware myself!

Sorry if I am late to the party, but do NOT buy Samsung if you are into online gaming.

The input lag on their sets is legendarily bad. I bought a 53" Samsung a couple years back and suffered through feeling like I was "Swimming" when playing online shooters (CoD, Halo, etc...), and sports games were not much better.

I finally had enough and relegated that TV to my living room as solely my TV watching / Movie Viewing set. I then bought a Panasonic Viera, and it has almost 0 input lag.

AVG forums has an entire 200+ page thread solely devoted to the input lag topic - you should check them out for sure if you want to use the set for gaming.

All in all, in my experience, Samsung is among the BEST for picture quality for Blu-rays and HDTV. But the result of all that image processing to get that great picture is a substandard gaming experience.

Sorry if I am late to the party, but do NOT buy Samsung if you are into online gaming.The input lag on their sets is legendarily bad. I bought a 53" Samsung a couple years back and suffered through feeling like I was "Swimming" when playing online shooters (CoD, Halo, etc...), and sports games were not much better.I finally had enough and relegated that TV to my living room as solely my TV watching / Movie Viewing set. I then bought a Panasonic Viera, and it has almost 0 input lag.AVG forums has an entire 200+ page thread solely devoted to the input lag topic - you should check them out for sure if you want to use the set for gaming.All in all, in my experience, Samsung is among the BEST for picture quality for Blu-rays and HDTV. But the result of all that image processing to get that great picture is a substandard gaming experience.
plasma or LCD?

Sorry if I am late to the party, but do NOT buy Samsung if you are into online gaming.The input lag on their sets is legendarily bad. I bought a 53" Samsung a couple years back and suffered through feeling like I was "Swimming" when playing online shooters (CoD, Halo, etc...), and sports games were not much better.I finally had enough and relegated that TV to my living room as solely my TV watching / Movie Viewing set. I then bought a Panasonic Viera, and it has almost 0 input lag.AVG forums has an entire 200+ page thread solely devoted to the input lag topic - you should check them out for sure if you want to use the set for gaming.All in all, in my experience, Samsung is among the BEST for picture quality for Blu-rays and HDTV. But the result of all that image processing to get that great picture is a substandard gaming experience.
plasma or LCD?
I have always gone LCD, so my comment only pertains to those models. I apologize if the discussion has shifted into the plasma arena.

Interesting you mention that, I had a Samsung LCD for the last 3 years and I often had a lot of lag playing games just like you mentioned despite having a pretty solid dsl connection speed.

Interesting you mention that, I had a Samsung LCD for the last 3 years and I often had a lot of lag playing games just like you mentioned despite having a pretty solid dsl connection speed.
This is why these threads end up telling people over and over and over again to go plasma. LCD just can't keep up with anything moving quickly. Doesn't matter if its Sanyo or Samsung they don't cut the mustard.

This is why these threads end up telling people over and over and over again to go plasma. LCD just can't keep up with anything moving quickly. Doesn't matter if its Sanyo or Samsung they don't cut the mustard.
It all depends on which panels are used, to be honest. As I said, I bought a 42" Panasonic Viera LED-LCD TV earlier this year, and it is fantastic for gaming. Some LCDs are bad, others are good to great. As I said, go on AVG forums - they have done the research for you.

friend has a 60" Plasma Panasonic and its sweet. I've seen awesome 40 to 46" LCDs and LEDs, but if you go up to 60+, I think you gotta go Plasma

The LG 60PA6500 60" 1080p Plasma, 600Hz refresh rate, 3 HDMI inputs, for $1099 from BestBuy is a pretty great deal right now. Also a Consumer Reports recommended buy.

Anyone know anything about the Mitsubishi WD-60638?

A 60" DLP for $500 seems like a killer deal.

But reviews are kind of all over the map.
I'm sure console TVs could be had for killer deals when there time had past also. This price seems about right to me.
Oh I know that projection DLP is rapidly approaching obsolesence. But the picture is still good, still pretty big, and is pretty cheap.I have the space for it, I was just wondering about quality.

I'm sure console TVs could be had for killer deals when there time had past also. This price seems about right to me.
Oh I know that projection DLP is rapidly approaching obsolesence. But the picture is still good, still pretty big, and is pretty cheap.I have the space for it, I was just wondering about quality.
I'm not sure if I should replace the bulb in my tv or buy a new tv :bag:

i've heard bad things. i'd stay away

'Andy Dufresne said:
'TheWick said:
'Andy Dufresne said:

No way would I buy DLP.

This set for $599 is 10x the television IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread