What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Free Draft Planning/Analysis Tool (1 Viewer)

freshly_shorn

Footballguy
Hello fellow fantasy football aficionados!

Just a quick note to invite you to check out a free spreadsheet (no ads, no macros) that I created for redraft league analysis and planning. It is called the Draft Planalyzer, and you can get it here.

You input your data for your last three years of drafts, and it auto-magically populates a bunch of useful views that can show you when to expect position runs, what should be available at any point in your draft, what individual owner tendencies are, and more. It's a great companion to help you mock draft in conjunction with the Draft Dominator.. you can simulate how your exact league behaves rather than relying on generic ADP info.

I've long been a big fan of Footballguys and this is my way to give a little something back to the FBG community. Enjoy, with my compliments! Drop me a line on Twitter if you like it or have questions- @Draftologist

I gave your tool a try, however my Dashboard & Stats sheets are fouled up.

Apparently attachements are allowed here.

Since I can't access the formulas . . . :confused:

I hope this isn't where you offer to sell me an upgrade. :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Started over with a fresh wookbook and carefully copied values only over. Somewhat better this time, except none of the Position Quantities fields (on Owners Dashboard or Stats sheets) are displaying any values (just #N/A or ###).

Started over with a fresh wookbook and carefully copied values only over. Somewhat better this time, except none of the Position Quantities fields (on Owners Dashboard or Stats sheets) are displaying any values (just #N/A or ###).
Hi Marked. Thanks for taking a peek. Not sure what could be going on without seeing it, so you're welcome to email it to webmaster@draftologist.com and I'll happily take a peek. Did you update the allowed postions to match what is in your draft? I.E. If your Team Defense is entered as TD, you have TD in the Valid Positions in the Setup? Just guessing. Send it over and I'll help you out!

I gave your tool a try, however my Dashboard & Stats sheets are fouled up. Apparently attachements are allowed here.Since I can't access the formulas . . . :confused: I hope this isn't where you offer to sell me an upgrade. :shock:
No way, free all the way this year! And.. its not something that would ever really go bad or outdated, it would always be usable. :)

OK! Thanks to Marked's feedback, I was able to correct a formula error in the spreadsheet, and a new version is now available here.

Thanks for looking, and keep the feedback coming! You can follow me on twitter, too, @draftologist.

Any way to use this with auction leagues?
Good question. It is currently aimed pretty much for Redraft leagues only. But that is an intriguing thought- adding a feature (or creating a new Planalyzer) that would illuminate bidding patterns in auctions.But, in its current form, I don't think there's much for auction leagues.

A little overwhelming at first, but this has some very useful info now that I've got the data entered. Thanks for sharing!

A little overwhelming at first, but this has some very useful info now that I've got the data entered. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, entering three years of drafts the first time can be a lot of work if you don't have a way to cut and paste. Good news is, after that you just have to cut and paste two of the years over one column, and just enter the most recent year. The spreadsheet itself will never go 'bad' or be outdated!

Any way to use this with auction leagues?
Good question. It is currently aimed pretty much for Redraft leagues only. But that is an intriguing thought- adding a feature (or creating a new Planalyzer) that would illuminate bidding patterns in auctions.But, in its current form, I don't think there's much for auction leagues.
That would be a headache, the reason being is that you need to account for quite a few variables.Position pools left (Is Ray Rice the only top 3 RB left? Is Brees the last of the elite QBs)Point in draft (is someone throwing out a WR3 for the first auction of the draft)$ left per team (does one team have 10x the $ as every other team)Positions needed per team (while Sproles might be on the block everyone else has their starting RBs except 1 team)who nominates/who bids up the price (do teams nominate who they want, or to drain opponets budgets)Team focus points (do they love the stud RBs or do they spread their money)Auctions are alot harder to judge and you could go through is 6 times with the same owners and get completely different results. Snake drafts are a little more predicatable and have to follow a little more logical of order since you can't skip around like in auctions.

'packseasontix said:
That would be a headache, the reason being is that you need to account for quite a few variables.Position pools left (Is Ray Rice the only top 3 RB left? Is Brees the last of the elite QBs)Point in draft (is someone throwing out a WR3 for the first auction of the draft)$ left per team (does one team have 10x the $ as every other team)Positions needed per team (while Sproles might be on the block everyone else has their starting RBs except 1 team)who nominates/who bids up the price (do teams nominate who they want, or to drain opponets budgets)Team focus points (do they love the stud RBs or do they spread their money)Auctions are alot harder to judge and you could go through is 6 times with the same owners and get completely different results. Snake drafts are a little more predicatable and have to follow a little more logical of order since you can't skip around like in auctions.
Well, keep in mind that the Planalyzer is an analysis tool first, to assist in planning for your upcoming draft. The functionality you describe here is more like what the Draft Dominator does. The goal of the Planalyzer is to reveal patterns and insight about past drafts, to inform you of possible trends you can take advantage of in your upcoming draft. It's a tool meant to complement something like the Draft Dominator. So, what would you like to know about owners going into an Auction draft? If I were to delve into a Planalyzer-like tool to analyze an Auction draft league, I'd want to understand bidding/spending patterns of the owners, what positions they value over others, how often they bid, how often they drop out of bids (a hint that they are inflating prices), things like that. Since much of this data isn't captured during a draft, unless you have software that tracks everything in progress, it would be tough to ferret all this out. But, as a theoretical exercise, that's what I'd want to know.

I had a request to incorporate the third round reversal into the Draft Planalyzer. How common is this draft method out there in Shark Pool land?

Your wish is my command. For all you sharks, GET SOME-> New version! 100% free, NO ADs, the Draft Planalyzer. Added 3rd round reversal draft order.

So now it accommodates straight, serpentine & the reversal draft orders.

Check it out- you have nothing to lose and much knowledge to gain about your redraft league's draft habits!

http://goo.gl/v71fn

-----------

Follow on Twitter @draftologist

Hey Sharks.. recorded an overview of what the Draft Planalyzer in case you want to check it out before downloading. Again- not selling anything, just wanted to share.

Don't draft without it, a great companion to the incomparable and totally awesome Draft Dominator! And.. totally free, no ads, just a spreadsheet I thought some fellow sharks would like. Enjoy!

Twitter: @draftologist, Draft Planalyzer available at http://goo.gl/v71fn

looks pretty sick....thanks OP
Awesome, I've been using a Draft-Log template for years now and manually setting my baselines. Some of what I do can be found here. I'll check this out and let you know what I think.
Cool stuff! I've been doing much of this in an EXCEL sheet and manually weighting the positions as taken by the owners. A couple of questions;Why only 3 years?

For the 3 years, why did you assign the equal weighting? Do you think recent years might have more relevancy as owners will change strategies over the years? I have gone with 40, 30, 30, 10 over 4 years.

It's great to see all these numbers. Do you think you can put a sheet there that just shows the raw data for each owner? Sometimes it's nice to be able to see how an owner drafted so you can actually see that he always goes RB, WR, RB. For example, one of my owners always goes QB, RB, WR, RB. It's helpful to actually see this for the past few years, especially if you are right behind them in the draft on the turn. If I've got 5.09 and I see the TE1 I want, I know to grab him 1st and a WR2 on the flip, rather than the WR2 (who might still be there) and miss on the TE when he grabs him @ 6.01.

01.10 Ditka QB

02.01 Ditka RB

03.10 Ditka WR

04.01 Ditka RB

05.10 Ditka WR

06.01 Ditka TE

07.10 Ditka RB

08.01 Ditka PK

09.10 Ditka DE

10.01 Ditka WR

11.10 Ditka QB

12.01 Ditka RB

13.10 Ditka WR

14.01 Ditka WR

Finally, to get the data into the format needed for your sheet, I recommend using a Draft_log template to open the .csv files genrated by DD. You might even be able to incorporate them into this... You can find them here.

Awesome, I've been using a Draft-Log template for years now and manually setting my baselines. Some of what I do can be found here. I'll check this out and let you know what I think.
Cool stuff! I've been doing much of this in an EXCEL sheet and manually weighting the positions as taken by the owners. A couple of questions;Why only 3 years?

For the 3 years, why did you assign the equal weighting? Do you think recent years might have more relevancy as owners will change strategies over the years? I have gone with 40, 30, 30, 10 over 4 years.

It's great to see all these numbers. Do you think you can put a sheet there that just shows the raw data for each owner? Sometimes it's nice to be able to see how an owner drafted so you can actually see that he always goes RB, WR, RB. For example, one of my owners always goes QB, RB, WR, RB. It's helpful to actually see this for the past few years, especially if you are right behind them in the draft on the turn. If I've got 5.09 and I see the TE1 I want, I know to grab him 1st and a WR2 on the flip, rather than the WR2 (who might still be there) and miss on the TE when he grabs him @ 6.01.

01.10 Ditka QB

02.01 Ditka RB

03.10 Ditka WR

04.01 Ditka RB

05.10 Ditka WR

06.01 Ditka TE

07.10 Ditka RB

08.01 Ditka PK

09.10 Ditka DE

10.01 Ditka WR

11.10 Ditka QB

12.01 Ditka RB

13.10 Ditka WR

14.01 Ditka WR

Finally, to get the data into the format needed for your sheet, I recommend using a Draft_log template to open the .csv files genrated by DD. You might even be able to incorporate them into this... You can find them here.
Thank you for all the effort taken to set this up. Pretty cool. I don't know what your ultimate intent is, but I didn't find it to be that useful for using with DD.Here is my input:

There are three uses for historical draft analysis: VBD Baseline, Custom ADP and owner tendencies. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of those out of this program. The data is all there, just not in a useable format.

For ADP Baseline, I'd like to see cumulative picks by round on the League Dashboard. I use the 8th round for my VBD Baseline. I'd like to take the data from the 8th round and plug it into DD.

The league dashboard has some pretty cool information on it. You do the weighted average of the nth picks per each position. If you put all the positions there (RB1 to RB40), you could actually then take that data to create a custom ADP based on weighted projections. It would be even better if you could do it based on this years Draft Order... though that might be harder... This could potentially even be done with the data on the 'Pick Depths' page, but you've got it locked for cut/paste.

Finally, as mentioned above, it's hard to see owner tendencies by round. The data is there, but not presented.

Thanks again for all of the effort... would like to see more for it to be useful for use with this DD...

Your wish is my command. For all you sharks, GET SOME-> New version! 100% free, NO ADs, the Draft Planalyzer. Added 3rd round reversal draft order. So now it accommodates straight, serpentine & the reversal draft orders. Check it out- you have nothing to lose and much knowledge to gain about your redraft league's draft habits!http://goo.gl/v71fn-----------Follow on Twitter @draftologist
How did you do your 3RR?We do ours:1-1212-112-112-11-1212-1...When I inserted data from another league, I was having some problems with picks not showing up - especially TE's and PK's...

Your wish is my command. For all you sharks, GET SOME-> New version! 100% free, NO ADs, the Draft Planalyzer. Added 3rd round reversal draft order. So now it accommodates straight, serpentine & the reversal draft orders. Check it out- you have nothing to lose and much knowledge to gain about your redraft league's draft habits!http://goo.gl/v71fn-----------Follow on Twitter @draftologist
How did you do your 3RR?We do ours:1-1212-112-112-11-1212-1...When I inserted data from another league, I was having some problems with picks not showing up - especially TE's and PK's...
That is a 3rd round flip (Banzai), not a 3RR.

That is a 3rd round flip (Banzai), not a 3RR.
So it is. That probably explains why I didn't have a TE - it was assigned to another team.

GoBears84- Glad you emailed me because, for whatever reason, I stopped getting notifications when folks posted. I'll check that out.

For others benefit, I'll post an edited version of my replies to GoBears84 questions here:

- Version 12.03 added Third Round Reversal.. not the Flip you mentioned, I know. Sorry about that. I don't see this going beyond the three methods I have now, as long as this is in spreadsheet form. Perhaps if I can ever get an app built from it, it could be more sophisticated.

- Arbitrarily chose three years after years of examining my past drafts. Trends change over time that really only the last three years provided useful feedback.

- Even Weighting of the three years is just a default setting, I adjust based on how I think this year's draft may look like when compared to past ones. That's why those are adjustable- set to whatever you like.

- You can actually get individual owner drafts by using the list filtering on the Draft Lists page. You have to pick by slot rather than by owner, but you can get that info. However, I see your point and that will be something I consider for the next edition (probably not in time for this season, though).

You said this:

"There are three uses for historical draft analysis: VBD Baseline, Custom ADP and owner tendencies. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of those out of this program. The data is all there, just not in a useable format."

You can easily get VBD baseline by using the list filters on the Draft Lists page. Footballguys, by default, uses 100 players as the default baseline. So you can filter, or just look at, the pick depths at pick 100. Those are you baseline players.

Owner tendencies are there in limited fashion, certainly something I can continue to work on. Custom ADP is there with your pick depths. I use it by filtering on whatever my draft slot is, and that tells me what I can expect to be there at each pick. However, I have been thinking of ways to automatically create a custom ADP that could be used for DD- since I use DD myself!

You do get the ADP of every position on the last tab before the individual owner stuff. But, again, maybe not in a format that lends itself to creating custom ADP. Something to consider!

Thanks again (to everyone who provides feedback), you've given me food for thought and I appreciate you taking the time to pen such a wonderfully in-depth critique! I'm hoping to make the Draft Planalyzer an app, somehow, some day. Everything you guys ask for/teach me helps!

Good stuff! I've messed around with this in the past, but then went into developing the Draft Planalyzer. My next step will be to try and offer a way to automatically generate that Custom ADP and import the players from an Internet ADP list, so you get names of the players. That's what I essentially do anyways, just manually.

Hey guys- quick update. Part 2 of the video tutorial is up for the Draft Planlyzer:

http://goo.gl/DYhyl

Again, completely free, no ads, not selling anything. I'm just a blogger with a cool spreadsheet. It's a great companion to the famous Draft Dominator and will help you spot the trends in how your redraft leagues think.

Hey guys- new version of the Draft Planalyzer is now available, compatible with Libre Office (free office suite, used to be Open Office). I will get an Excel version out soon.

Big news for you FBGs.. this one includes what I call a Baseliner. Helps you figure out baseline players tailored for your league, depending on what system you want to use. Also, includes a work area that you can use to build an ADP column that you can cut and paste into an custom ADP file for the Draft Dominator.

IT IS FREE and is meant to compliment Draft Dominator, just something to help you with your draft prep. Available at my blog. You can follow me on twitter, @draftologist, to ask questions or get updates on it.

Let me know what you think! Good luck in your leagues this season.

Gentlemen, start your redraft homework. Excel version of Draft Planalyzer 13.00 NOW AVAILABLE: http://goo.gl/v71fn

You likey? Let me know how it works out for you.. and while I'm stepping away for a much needed vacation, when I come back the first thing I'll delve into is how to use the Baseliner for Draft Dominator, if you're interested.

Drop me a line on twitter or FB with any feedback, I will check this topic from time to time as well.

FS ---

Started working around in this, but it appears the excel sheets are not updating appropriately as the team name and draft spots are not updating from the setup page. Now I copy and pasted from my draft summary exports, so not sure what's going on. Thoughts?

I received an email about that issue. I'm away from my PC for awhile, but will take a look as soon as I can. Sorry about that. In the interim, you can use last years version if in a pinch.

Quick update- I've corrected the issue with the Excel version of my Draft Planalyzer, available via http://www.draftologist.com/resources/draft-planalyzer/. Sorry about that, fellow football guys! Let me know how helpful or useless you find the workbook, and stay tuned to my blog this week for how to use the 'Baseliner', in detail, to help you customize the Draft Dominator for your league's tendencies.

Good luck in your drafts, and drop me a line.

Thanks much. I'm revamping the how to... on my site which will include an in-depth look at the new Base liner. I'll include a special write up on how to use with draft dominator (custom baselines and ADP).

freshly_shorn said:
Thanks much. I'm revamping the how to... on my site which will include an in-depth look at the new Base liner. I'll include a special write up on how to use with draft dominator (custom baselines and ADP).
Please let us know when it's posted.

Though I see the benefit of using the DP, I've been playing with it, still having issues using it for ADP. What I've found is that while certain owners have very defined tendencies, certain picks are based on positional availability and draft slot. For example, Graham and Gronk are going to go towards the end of the 3rd round - maybe early 4th. That shows up very clearly on your Draft Lists, Dashboard, and to some extent the Pick depths, In my custom ADP, based on individual owners, somebody is going to pick a TE early, but which owner picks them will vary from year to year.

The Baseline page is essentially useless for ADP, with more than 50% of the slots being 'Guess'.

You answered in one of my early posts that "Custom ADP is there with your pick depths. I use it by filtering on whatever my draft slot is, and that tells me what I can expect to be there at each pick." Unless I'm missing something, I can't even click on that page...and while it is useful during a draft sort-of - it doesn't help me create the custom ADP for ADP_USER that I use in the DD. ADP_USER allows me to do reasonable mocks and it feeds into the Auto-Drop offs in the Best Value Pick window.

What would be AWESOME, and would make this program sing, is if I could take columns D&E on the Pick Depths sheet, sort by average pick number (Col E) and then use Col D for my custom ADP. I could manually marry that with owner tendencies and rock my draft. Is there a way where you can take the formulas need for Col D and E, hide and lock them out in Col V&W (much like you've hidden A/B, F/G etc) put the results to D/E where we can copy them without needing access to the underlying formulas?

Otherwise, while there is some cool stuff in here, the Baseline I can get fairly easily with some manipulations of the Draft_Template that was developed a few years back.

freshly_shorn said:

Though I see the benefit of using the DP, I've been playing with it, still having issues using it for ADP. What I've found is that while certain owners have very defined tendencies, certain picks are based on positional availability and draft slot. For example, Graham and Gronk are going to go towards the end of the 3rd round - maybe early 4th. That shows up very clearly on your Draft Lists, Dashboard, and to some extent the Pick depths, In my custom ADP, based on individual owners, somebody is going to pick a TE early, but which owner picks them will vary from year to year.

The Baseline page is essentially useless for ADP, with more than 50% of the slots being 'Guess'.

You answered in one of my early posts that "Custom ADP is there with your pick depths. I use it by filtering on whatever my draft slot is, and that tells me what I can expect to be there at each pick." Unless I'm missing something, I can't even click on that page...and while it is useful during a draft sort-of - it doesn't help me create the custom ADP for ADP_USER that I use in the DD. ADP_USER allows me to do reasonable mocks and it feeds into the Auto-Drop offs in the Best Value Pick window.

What would be AWESOME, and would make this program sing, is if I could take columns D&E on the Pick Depths sheet, sort by average pick number (Col E) and then use Col D for my custom ADP. I could manually marry that with owner tendencies and rock my draft. Is there a way where you can take the formulas need for Col D and E, hide and lock them out in Col V&W (much like you've hidden A/B, F/G etc) put the results to D/E where we can copy them without needing access to the underlying formulas?

Otherwise, while there is some cool stuff in here, the Baseline I can get fairly easily with some manipulations of the Draft_Template that was developed a few years back.
Agree with this. I like what you have done here, but I am also struggling on the Adp_User aspect. I am preparing for my draft now as my league just declared their keepers. So I am manually creating and adp_user and then accounting for my keepers.

I would be interested if you can breakdown the baseliner sheet a bit more though. I am trying to get a better understanding of the Total # of offensive starters and it's relationship with the other areas and why you broke it down that way. In addition, the baseliner for the first 100 picks. Thoughts on that? I typically use the end of the 8th round in my 16-team league, which is at 128 picks. I would really like if you can make the pick # a variable that I could key in, so that I can create a baseline based on the end of a particular round.

A couple of update requests (Excel version):

• On the League Dashboard tab:Consider updating the calculation at the bottom (row 44). It probably should disregard rounds not used so the total displays properly.
  • The nth Taken with Pick (Weighted Average) is blank. I am assuming that is because my league history is so variable that it cannot determine what position is taken where. Is that correct?
[*]On the Pick Depths tab, allow the user to filter on the drop downs. Right now, they are currently locked.
All in all, I am really liking this tool and I see a wealth of possibilities with this. Nicely done!

I've been playing with this for the past few hours, and it is a great tool. The data helped build a pretty accurate adp_user for my league. Mock drafts in DD really feel like what it will be like on draft day, and the teams in my 16-teamer look pretty realistic.

Kudos!

Error I found: in the Excel version, using the fifth "Valid Position" down was giving me screwy results for the weighted averages on the League Dashboard and Pick Depth pages for that position. I was using my kicker there, and was getting 1st K taken with 3.4, 4th with 3.15, etc. I just x'd it out for the time being and used a lower cell for my K.

Minor fix but it would be good if you could change the last year/two years ago/three years ago to unlocked boxes where you can enter 2012-2011-2010,etc

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the issue with the Pick Depth filtering. As for the ADP- Yes, it is guess because there is no consensus at that slot. Yes, I've tried the sorting idea of the Pick Depths, but because I am avoiding macros, and due to rounding, it doesn't come out perfectly even if I do it manually. This is the first go at it, and for those of you who have followed this the past couple of years, I do work to improve it. Just remember- I'm working in the confines of a spreadsheet and without macros, so what I can do is very limited. I was hoping some angelic programmer would swoop in and join forces and make this what it needs to be.. no luck yet. :)

Agree with this. I like what you have done here, but I am also struggling on the Adp_User aspect. I am preparing for my draft now as my league just declared their keepers. So I am manually creating and adp_user and then accounting for my keepers.

I would be interested if you can breakdown the baseliner sheet a bit more though. I am trying to get a better understanding of the Total # of offensive starters and it's relationship with the other areas and why you broke it down that way. In addition, the baseliner for the first 100 picks. Thoughts on that? I typically use the end of the 8th round in my 16-team league, which is at 128 picks. I would really like if you can make the pick # a variable that I could key in, so that I can create a baseline based on the end of a particular round.
 I've been tied up at work for the last 48 hours or so, will try to get the baseliner break down in this weekend, I promise. I know it will be too late for some of you, and I'm sorry. One man operation here.

Minor fix but it would be good if you could change the last year/two years ago/three years ago to unlocked boxes where you can enter 2012-2011-2010,etc
 But how would I get you to come back every year? Once this is stable and perfect that will be all that has to change!! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread