What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (9 Viewers)

So, yes.... Drew would advise his client w some solid sense of knowledge whether or not a TRO is a viable option or not.

As for whether or not it is, I have stated for the last 2 pages, I have no idea.
No, Jason Rosenhaus might.

Now let's find out if Jason Rosenhaus has ever filed a lawsuit or argued for a TRO or PI in court.

Last edited by a moderator:
Serious question, what about a judge who's a browns fan?
He's still not allowed to overturn an arbitrator's decision unless there's a legal reason to. Which isn't "insufficient weight given to the evidence."
Well, outside of that, what about a TRO where a determination is made on the matter? It would seem to me that judges have leeway and possibly an elastic discretion while a more through review takes place.

So a Question and thought... How long would a TRO last or what is the next step after that? Is it days/weeks/months?

And my thought would be, that action might reopen an opportunity for a settlement. Even if he gets 10 games it's productive for him based on the service time of playing 6

He's still not allowed to overturn an arbitrator's decision unless there's a legal reason to. Which isn't "insufficient weight given to the evidence."
Well, outside of that, what about a TRO where a determination is made on the matter? It would seem to me that judges have leeway and possibly an elastic discretion while a more through review takes place.

So a Question and thought... How long would a TRO last or what is the next step after that? Is it days/weeks/months?

And my thought would be, that action might reopen an opportunity for a settlement. Even if he gets 10 games it's productive for him based on the service time of playing 6
A TRO would last until there could be a hearing on the matter, and at that point, a decision would be made about an injunction pending trial. Probably weeks. But in order to get the TRO, there has to be a showing of likely success on the merits, among other things.

Well, outside of that, what about a TRO where a determination is made on the matter? It would seem to me that judges have leeway and possibly an elastic discretion while a more through review takes place.So a Question and thought... How long would a TRO last or what is the next step after that? Is it days/weeks/months?

A TRO would last until there could be a hearing on the matter, and at that point, a decision would be made about an injunction pending trial. Probably weeks. But in order to get the TRO, there has to be a showing of likely success on the merits, among other things.
Good stuff hank. Thanks.

IF Gordon files a lawsuit, a judge would only be ruling on whether the arbitrator didn't do his job. The only grounds I could see him having is the time it took to make his decision.
I'm sure there's plenty of things they could potentially argue that we have no idea of.

Or there could be none.
They could argue whatever they want; however, in this situation, they'd need to prove that the arbitrator failed to do his job in order to win.
How is it not possible that they argue that something they presented as evidence was overlooked or not properly taken into account?

We dont know ANYTHING about the case. Just small leaks here and there.

There are plenty of things that could be argued in court, aside from just "arbitrator took too long"

If it's significant enough for a court to want to take a look, Im sure they would.

Again.... there could be zero defenses or reasons to go to court. I have no idea what they'll do.

But Im 100% certain there is more than just one single reason they could go to court.
Well, you're 100% wrong.

It is the arbitrator's job to interpret the evidence and the CBA, not the courts. The court doesn' t have that jurisdiction. All they can do (pending a lawsuit) is decide if the arbitrator didn't do his job by deliberately ignoring the CBA or other "inappropriate" activities.

Lawsuit comes today imo. I have no sources or evidence. But that's pretty standard.
If it doesnt come today, does it come at all?

No way he can win this though.
why not?

I wont even pretend to know the legal logistics of it all, but there has to be at least a fair chance that if they take the time and effort of that route, there has to be at least a chance.

Ive read things from "ohio law" to "barred from earning a living" etc etc

if there's no case, then we know even the lawyers think there is no shot. if they go for it, then they obviously have an angel.

doesnt mean theyll be successful, but theyd think they have a shot at least
Because these "things" you heard aren't accurate.

IF Gordon files a lawsuit, a judge would only be ruling on whether the arbitrator didn't do his job. The only grounds I could see him having is the time it took to make his decision.

Employees can be fired/suspended in Ohio, and that's exactly what happened to Gordon; he violated a policy of his employer and was suspended, per the language in the CBA.

The reason no lawsuit has been filed is because they don't really have a shot. If they did, they'd have filed by now.
The Browns are his employer, not the NFL. The NFL is the governing body of the league formed by teams and individual owners. This is clearly a case that the NFL has been put in charge of suspensions per the CBA, but as far as his employer? His checks are written by the Browns.
The Browns, and all NFL teams, agree to abide by the CBA, as do the NFL players. Just as a steel worker works for his individual company, he & the company he works for, are regulated by the union contract they negotiate, as are the Browns and the NFL players.

This gentleman has posted at least 3 blogs on the Gordon situation.

First he said, based on his legal examination of the CBA, that there was NO WAY Gordon's suspension would be upheld.

Then he said that based on his interpretation of Ohio law, that Gordon would immediately get any suspension overturned, because the CBA violated Ohio law. Numerous links have been posted in this thread proving him wrong on this point.

This link, from last Friday says he "expect(s) the news to hit any hour now that Gordon has filed suit in Cuyahoga County, Ohio." 5 days later, and no lawsuit has been filed.

I'd say his credibility, with regards to this situation, is extremely questionable.

Lawsuit comes today imo. I have no sources or evidence. But that's pretty standard.

why not?

I wont even pretend to know the legal logistics of it all, but there has to be at least a fair chance that if they take the time and effort of that route, there has to be at least a chance.

if there's no case, then we know even the lawyers think there is no shot. if they go for it, then they obviously have an angel.

Because these "things" you heard aren't accurate. IF Gordon files a lawsuit, a judge would only be ruling on whether the arbitrator didn't do his job. The only grounds I could see him having is the time it took to make his decision.

Employees can be fired/suspended in Ohio, and that's exactly what happened to Gordon; he violated a policy of his employer and was suspended, per the language in the CBA.

The reason no lawsuit has been filed is because they don't really have a shot. If they did, they'd have filed by now.
The Browns are his employer, not the NFL. The NFL is the governing body of the league formed by teams and individual owners. This is clearly a case that the NFL has been put in charge of suspensions per the CBA, but as far as his employer? His checks are written by the Browns.
The Browns, and all NFL teams, agree to abide by the CBA, as do the NFL players. Just as a steel worker works for his individual company, he & the company he works for, are regulated by the union contract they negotiate, as are the Browns and the NFL players.
Understood but how did the Williams get their injunction a few years ago

why not?

Because these "things" you heard aren't accurate. IF Gordon files a lawsuit, a judge would only be ruling on whether the arbitrator didn't do his job. The only grounds I could see him having is the time it took to make his decision.

It was under the old CBA, and as far as I know, the case wasn't heard by a neutral arbitrator. Therefore, they didn't sue that the arbitrator did his/her job wrong, but that the NFL knew the banned substance was in the diet pills they were taking, but failed to inform them of this fact.

So, essentially, they sued that the NFL suspended them for something without proper cause. That's not the case with Gordon. He knew weed was banned.

How's that TRO/injunction doing? Haven't seen any news and I thought this slam dunk would have Gordon back on the field yesterday.

Drew actually filed as a sports agent prior to graduating law school

but, correct. he did not take the bar
I know.
again... his brother and adviser at Rosenhaus Sports, Jason Rosenhaus is a lawyer
Yep.
So, yes.... Drew would advise his client w some solid sense of knowledge whether or not a TRO is a viable option or not.

As for whether or not it is, I have stated for the last 2 pages, I have no idea.
Meaning that Drew can advise him with the same level of expertise that my wife has.

Soulfly3 said:
How is it not possible that they argue that something they presented as evidence was overlooked or not properly taken into account?
That's not an argument a judge is likely to even listen to.

Smack Tripper said:
The trial court judge said that the arbitrator wasn't neutral, and he therefore didn't grant the same level of deference that a neutral arbitrator would have gotten. Also, the trial court judge inexplicably failed to include, as one of the prongs of the test to grant an injunction, the likelihood of success on the merits.

The appellate court, however, held that the non-neutral arbitrator was as good as a neutral one since the NFLPA agreed to the appointment process. So after that, any trial judges within the same circuit would be bound to follow the appellate court's lead and ignore the non-neutrality of the arbitrator.

(Ohio and Minnesota are not in the same circuits, however.)

Baylor WR Josh Gordon
I think I've isolated the last point this thread became relevant to the issue at hand.

Page 37, post no. 1825.

This thread is terrific reading, actual fun. Look at the posts as it starts to slowly grow on people how talented, how much fun, Gordon is as a football player, culminating with moments of epiphany in December 2013.

Nearly everything since has been a drag. That's 122 pages of nothin'.

(HULK) said:
Dr. Octopus said:
(HULK) said:
After reading that the league offered Gordon a deal and he turned it down...
where did you read that? Everything I read said the parties never negotiated any kind of settlement.
Link someone posted in this thread. Although it was just pointed out that the guy isn't the most credible
I agree with Octupus, I don't think negotiation over reduced suspension ever took place. It was just speculation.

With that said, there really is not much for Gordon to lose over going to a judge for a TRO.

He's already been suspended the max he can be, and if he gets it, he plays, most likely all of 2014 until it makes it's way thru the courts.

(HULK) said:
Dr. Octopus said:
(HULK) said:
where did you read that? Everything I read said the parties never negotiated any kind of settlement.
Link someone posted in this thread. Although it was just pointed out that the guy isn't the most credible
I agree with Octupus, I don't think negotiation over reduced suspension ever took place. It was just speculation.

With that said, there really is not much for Gordon to lose over going to a judge for a TRO.

He's already been suspended the max he can be, and if he gets it, he plays, most likely all of 2014 until it makes it's way thru the courts.
A judge can also say "im not giving you anything" and that is why is legal team probably hasnt filed suit yet because they probably have no leg to stand on

(HULK) said:
Dr. Octopus said:
(HULK) said:
I agree with Octupus, I don't think negotiation over reduced suspension ever took place. It was just speculation.With that said, there really is not much for Gordon to lose over going to a judge for a TRO.

Aside from the costs of his legal team while he's not being paid, right?

So, the arbitrator, he was someone the NFL hires routinely for this sort of thing right? And the league hired him, not Josh Gordon? And he was paid a sum of money by the NFL and routinely cashes checks for these matters, from the NFL?

Doesn't sound like it would be hard to create doubts about the arbitrators impartiality. What's the standard of doubt for a TRO? It's pretty low right, in favor of the person requesting it?

Seems to me if his lawyers are competent, getting a TRO should be easy. The real question is if he'll file for one or not IMO

So, the arbitrator, he was someone the NFL hires routinely for this sort of thing right? And the league hired him, not Josh Gordon? And he was paid a sum of money by the NFL and routinely cashes checks for these matters, from the NFL?

Doesn't sound like it would be hard to create doubts about the arbitrators impartiality. What's the standard of doubt for a TRO? It's pretty low right, in favor of the person requesting it?

Seems to me if his lawyers are competent, getting a TRO should be easy. The real question is if he'll file for one or not IMO
Getting a TRO for an arbitration award is not easy. Why would the burden be low, in favor of the person requesting it? There's been an award pursuant to an agreement to arbitrate, and the standard for overturning that award is quite high.

The arbitrator was appointed to hear the case by Goodell, not by Gordon. Gordon agreed (through the CBA) to allow Goodell to appoint the arbitrator. I believe the arbitrator's fees are paid for by Gordon and the League, 50/50, but I'm not sure.

Doesn't sound like it would be hard to create doubts about the arbitrators impartiality.
Yes. The arbitrator in this case is well respected, but he's obviously closely aligned with the NFL. He used to be an employee of the NFL; I'm not sure if he still is.

What's the standard of doubt for a TRO? It's pretty low right, in favor of the person requesting it?
I don't know what you mean by standard of doubt. But to get a TRO, you have to show, among other things, that you'd be likely to prevail on the merits. And in order to show that -- you pretty much have to show that the arbitrator committed fraud or something similar. Just showing that he's impartial, as long as Gordon agreed to the procedure by which he was appointed, is probably not enough. And similarly, just showing that he got the decision wrong is also not enough, because just getting the decision wrong is not fraud or something similar.

Seems to me if his lawyers are competent, getting a TRO should be easy.
If easy is like a 1% chance, then sure.

Gordon's problem is that he agreed to let Goodell pick the arbitrator, and he agreed that the arbitrator's decision would be final -- not appealable. That's enough that a court won't even double-check the arbitrator's ruling for correctness except in very unusual circumstances (e.g., fraud).

Judges are all really overworked; they have way too many cases. Having people use private arbitration instead of going to court is something that judges love. So they make rules saying that if something is arbitrated, the parties have waived their day in court. Judges don't even have to bother with it.

If Gordon sues, a judge will have to bother with it -- but only slightly. He'll just check to see if there was fraud or something similar involved, conclude that there wasn't, and that will be that.

Getting a TRO for an arbitration award is not easy. Why would the burden be low, in favor of the person requesting it? There's been an award pursuant to an agreement to arbitrate, and the standard for overturning that award is quite high.
Arrrrggghhhh. Now that the p-word has emerged this has gone /thread

The arbitrator was appointed to hear the case by Goodell, not by Gordon. Gordon agreed (through the CBA) to allow Goodell to appoint the arbitrator. I believe the arbitrator's fees are paid for by Gordon and the League, 50/50, but I'm not sure.

Doesn't sound like it would be hard to create doubts about the arbitrators impartiality.
Yes. The arbitrator in this case is well respected, but he's obviously closely aligned with the NFL. He used to be an employee of the NFL; I'm not sure if he still is.

What's the standard of doubt for a TRO? It's pretty low right, in favor of the person requesting it?
I don't know what you mean by standard of doubt. But to get a TRO, you have to show, among other things, that you'd be likely to prevail on the merits. And in order to show that -- you pretty much have to show that the arbitrator committed fraud or something similar. Just showing that he's impartial, as long as Gordon agreed to the procedure by which he was appointed, is probably not enough. And similarly, just showing that he got the decision wrong is also not enough, because just getting the decision wrong is not fraud or something similar.

If easy is like a 1% chance, then sure.

Gordon's problem is that he agreed to let Goodell pick the arbitrator, and he agreed that the arbitrator's decision would be final -- not appealable. That's enough that a court won't even double-check the arbitrator's ruling for correctness except in very unusual circumstances (e.g., fraud).

Judges are all really overworked; they have way too many cases. Having people use private arbitration instead of going to court is something that judges love. So they make rules saying that if something is arbitrated, the parties have waived their day in court. Judges don't even have to bother with it.

If Gordon sues, a judge will have to bother with it -- but only slightly. He'll just check to see if there was fraud or something similar involved, conclude that there wasn't, and that will be that.
But, but, but-Gordon hired Suh! And some guy who has been wrong about this case A LOT says he talked to a clerk who is ready for a Gordon lawsuit.

We've covered 2/3 of Webster's. Was a matter of time.

TRO isn't overturning anything, it's just saying that the court will consider overturning it. Those are badly different standards aren't they?

If easy is like a 1% chance, then sure.Gordon's problem is that he agreed to let Goodell pick the arbitrator, and he agreed that the arbitrator's decision would be final -- not appealable. That's enough that a court won't even double-check the arbitrator's ruling for correctness except in very unusual circumstances (e.g., fraud).

Gordon agreed or the NFLPA agreed? If so, his legal team is foolish for agreeing to use this arbitrator IMO

If easy is like a 1% chance, then sure.Gordon's problem is that he agreed to let Goodell pick the arbitrator, and he agreed that the arbitrator's decision would be final -- not appealable. That's enough that a court won't even double-check the arbitrator's ruling for correctness except in very unusual circumstances (e.g., fraud).

Gordon agreed or the NFLPA agreed? If so, his legal team is foolish for agreeing to use this arbitrator IMO
The NFLPA agrees on a set of 5 (Im throwing a number out there, but I think it's correct) arbitrators that are recommended by the NFL.

When Gordon's case came up, an arbitrator was hand selected by Goodell to the case... Gordon, nor the NFLPA had any say in which arbitrator.

By signing his contract, Gordon agreed to what the NFLPA agreed to.

The NFLPA agrees on a set of 5 (Im throwing a number out there, but I think it's correct) arbitrators that are recommended by the NFL.

When Gordon's case came up, an arbitrator was hand selected by Goodell to the case... Gordon, nor the NFLPA had any say in which arbitrator.
he agreed or did not? Kinda critical here IMO

By signing his contract, Gordon agreed to what the NFLPA agreed to.
NFLPA does some stupid stuff sometimes says this redskins fan after looking at the salary cap restrictions we just went through. NFLPA agreed to screw the skins and cowboys for refusing to collude against the players during the lockout.Anyways, if this really requires proof of fraud for an injunction, I guess it's over most likely

Here's a conspiracy theory for you...If Gordon really wants to make a point to the NFL what better day to drop a suit than on opening day? Roger Goodell would lose it .

Here's a conspiracy theory for you...If Gordon really wants to make a point to the NFL what better day to drop a suit than on opening day? Roger Goodell would lose it .
Nobody outside of this thread would notice or care.

And that isn't a conspiracy.

You may want to look up the word "conspiracy" in the dictionary. Also, what?

A thereby and a couple of forthwiths and we are in serious business here!

Nobody outside of this thread would notice or care.

And that isn't a conspiracy.
You may want to look up the word "conspiracy" in the dictionary. Also, what?
lol

:goodposting: s

Haven't lost hope in Gordon yet, picked up Andrew Hawkins this week as my 3 WR in my 16 team league. Gonna be pissed if I drop him and he goes to court the next day so gonna keep holding on.

TRO isn't overturning anything, it's just saying that the court will consider overturning it. Those are badly different standards aren't they?
As has been repeatedly stated in this thread, you have to show a likelihood of success on the merits to get a TRO. Which means showing a likelihood of being able to overturn it, it at least a complex or novel area of law that requires further investigation.This isn't either of those

Users who are viewing this thread