What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (15 Viewers)

Does anyone really believe that the league's proposal is going to include amnesty for Gordon and Welker? Aren't the league's owners going to be roughly 30-2 against such a provision?
What I heard yesterday, I believe from Mortensen, is that various owners are speaking up privately about the Gordon and Welker suspensions being too tough, and about wanting their team's players un-suspended.

edited to add:

One late sticking point is that the league has received complaints and concerns from owners regarding possible reinstatement for recently suspended players such as Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns and Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos, who would not have been suspended under the proposed policy. Those owners were displeased that a new agreement would not necessarily alter the standing of their own suspended players.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11491428/nfl-players-association-vote-revised-drug-policy

and

Mortenson also reported that a late point of contention is that if the NFL allows suspended players such as Gordon and Denver's Wes Welker back in, other NFL owners will fight to have their suspended players re-instated. The NFL has already begun receiving complaints from owners who want their players re-instated.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/josh_gordon_could_be_re-instat_1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't they wait a little later in the night next time before making the conference call? Let's shoot for midnight tomorrow night.

I would say that if you are first up ths week on the waiver wire...I have one of those type leagues where we don't do blind bidding. But if you can grab him why not? What have you really got to lose if it doesn't go your way? At WR there is usually a handful of guys every week that will come on and off rosters all year so take the plunge if he is sitting out there in your league.

Why don't they wait a little later in the night next time before making the conference call? Let's shoot for midnight tomorrow night.
Apparently the NFL did not send the PA a proposal until very late in the day. The call was likely scheduled at 9pm to give people time to review and sort through it.

Do we know, for certain, that the league sent them a proposal? The tweet posted above just said the NFLPA will not vote on a new drug policy, not that the league actually sent a proposal?

If they didn't even send a proposal, then obviously this is going to take longer. If they sent a proposal, but it was just too late for the NFLPA to thoroughly review it & possibly vote on it, we could see a vote/resolution tomorrow.

Anyone know for sure if there is a proposal?

a proposal was sent, but it was sent too late in the day.
According to PFT, it's not that it was too late. It's that it was not even worth voting on because the sides are still too far apart.
So a proposal was sent, but wasn't deemed to be worth a vote. That's not a good sign, IMO.

Also, is it just me, or is the reporting about this whole thing (Gordon's failed test/suspension/appeal/possible NFL drug policy change/reinstatement) absolutely ridiculous? Latest example was Mort (and a number of others parroting him) last night saying the deal was all but done, and the players would vote on it today. It just seems like reporters are reporting "news" in the attempt to be the first, without bothering to check their facts, verify sources, etc. It has led to a lot of erroneous reports.

Apparently the NFL did not send the PA a proposal until very late in the day. The call was likely scheduled at 9pm to give people time to review and sort through it.
Also heard from local radio that typically the players have today off and that if the radio host were still playing (Pat Mannelly) he would want the player rep to outline the deal to all of the players before holding a vote instead of having just the player reps vote without their input. Not sure if that is the case or not.

These are called negotiations. You don't just sign on the dotted line as soon as you receive it.
Right, but much of the "excitement" over the last 24 hours was due to Mort's report that the NFL and NFLPA had reached an agreement & the players would vote on it today.

Obviously that wasn't the case, if the proposal the NFL sent over wasn't even worthy of letting the players vote on it.

It doesn't seem like it's "not a matter of if, but when" Gordon gets re-instated, after all.

For what it is worth, Pat Kirwin said it will be WEEKS before Gordon is cleared, even if the new proposal is passed by the players. I would anticipate when that happens he will struggle to get in game shape and be more suspectible to injury, like a player that has held out.

For what it is worth, Pat Kirwin said it will be WEEKS before Gordon is cleared, even if the new proposal is passed by the players. I would anticipate when that happens he will struggle to get in game shape and be more suspectible to injury, like a player that has held out.
Wasn't he playing in the pre-season games?

This story changes every ten minutes, but the bottom line at the moment is the players didn't feel the offer was even worth voting on, which obviously indicates the two sides are still fairly far apart.

The next step is the league either alters their offer or takes it off the table + the matter is dealt with at a later date... The next 48 hours are crucial

Odds of reduced suspension?
Less than winning the lottery. While still better than a non-zero chance, it's still awfully, terribly, ridiculously low.

I really don't understand the disproportionate speculation that he might get reinstated, except that it is based on hope. Hope is a nice thing and all, but it often clouds basic logic, reason, and common sense. The league is absolutely not going to put forward a proposal that opens itself up to legal challenges by others who have been negatively affected by rules they violated when in effect, but were later changed. This is a can of worms, a Pandora's Box, and every other cliche you can conjure up, that the owners simply won't ever agree to. And, the players obviously are not going to hinge the agreement on one or two guys, particularly a recidivist drug user and an aging, soon-to-be irrelevant slot receiver.

Bottom line, these guys violated rules that were in place, and the players' union isn't going to move mountains to get these guys cleared. The owners clearly have every motivation to avoid that, as well.

Gordon will serve his suspension, as he should, as he violated the rules as they were written when he chose for the umpteenth time to put himself above the rules. And, Welker is an idiot and will serve his time, as well.

Anything else is grasping at a small time lottery ticket to barely increase the chances of winning a small time fantasy league. Forgive me, but I fundamentally haven't understood Gordon Owner Logic at any point in this thread.

a proposal was sent, but it was sent too late in the day.
According to PFT, it's not that it was too late. It's that it was not even worth voting on because the sides are still too far apart.
So a proposal was sent, but wasn't deemed to be worth a vote. That's not a good sign, IMO.

Also, is it just me, or is the reporting about this whole thing (Gordon's failed test/suspension/appeal/possible NFL drug policy change/reinstatement) absolutely ridiculous? Latest example was Mort (and a number of others parroting him) last night saying the deal was all but done, and the players would vote on it today. It just seems like reporters are reporting "news" in the attempt to be the first, without bothering to check their facts, verify sources, etc. It has led to a lot of erroneous reports.
It's not just you. The reporting has been atrocious throughout this whole saga.

I can see a SNL skit with Rodger dressed as Pontius Pilot giving the crowd a choice: Release Josh "Barabbas" Gordon the "guilty of de-criminalized pot" vs. Ray Rice "the king of domestic violence"

The crowd yells "Crucify him!"

Less than winning the lottery. While still better than a non-zero chance, it's still awfully, terribly, ridiculously low.

I really don't understand the disproportionate speculation that he might get reinstated, except that it is based on hope. Hope is a nice thing and all, but it often clouds basic logic, reason, and common sense. The league is absolutely not going to put forward a proposal that opens itself up to legal challenges by others who have been negatively affected by rules they violated when in effect, but were later changed. This is a can of worms, a Pandora's Box, and every other cliche you can conjure up, that the owners simply won't ever agree to. And, the players obviously are not going to hinge the agreement on one or two guys, particularly a recidivist drug user and an aging, soon-to-be irrelevant slot receiver.

Bottom line, these guys violated rules that were in place, and the players' union isn't going to move mountains to get these guys cleared. The owners clearly have every motivation to avoid that, as well.

Gordon will serve his suspension, as he should, as he violated the rules as they were written when he chose for the umpteenth time to put himself above the rules. And, Welker is an idiot and will serve his time, as well.

Anything else is grasping at a small time lottery ticket to barely increase the chances of winning a small time fantasy league. Forgive me, but I fundamentally haven't understood Gordon Owner Logic at any point in this thread.
Looks like you a re dead wrong - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11497297/nflpa-vote-revising-drug-policy-tabled

The NFLPA was expecting to take a vote that would have revised policy and allowed for the immediate reinstatement of almost 20 players currently under suspension, including star receivers Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns and Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos, as well as cornerback Orlando Scandrick of the Dallas Cowboys, sources said.A vote on Wednesday has not been ruled out, a person directly involved in the discussions told ESPN. The source also said that the suspended players who would be reinstated believe they will soon return to the field.

This #### is not getting done anytime soon. I have Gordon on my bench but I'm going to act like he doesn't exist so I'm not gonna go crazy.

Does not seem likely they're going to come to an agreement anytime soon.

This #### is not getting done anytime soon. I have Gordon on my bench but I'm going to act like he doesn't exist so I'm not gonna go crazy.

So are you going to drop him?

Exactly!!

I have been away for a week and it is almost like the illogical Gordon owners have multiplied. Did Soulfly and Ojaay have babies?

No matter how much you all want to twist the logic to fit your hopes, Gordon got suspended, is suspended and will remain suspended......and I will laugh at you all again and then I will be suspended again :cry:
Huh?

The NFL gave the players a proposal where currently suspended players would no longer be suspended. It's been stated that the currently suspended players was not a major hurdle. The only sticking points right now are the appeals process for HGH testing - NFL wants more control over whether or not players can appeal and to whom.

This is sounding like it is going to happen. I would lean towards betting even money they are all reinstated this week and play this weekend.

Exactly!!

I have been away for a week and it is almost like the illogical Gordon owners have multiplied. Did Soulfly and Ojaay have babies?

No matter how much you all want to twist the logic to fit your hopes, Gordon got suspended, is suspended and will remain suspended......and I will laugh at you all again and then I will be suspended again :cry:
Huh?

The NFL gave the players a proposal where currently suspended players would no longer be suspended. It's been stated that the currently suspended players was not a major hurdle. The only sticking points right now are the appeals process for HGH testing - NFL wants more control over whether or not players can appeal and to whom.

This is sounding like it is going to happen. I would lean towards betting even money they are all reinstated this week and play this weekend.
They did? If so, I missed that. Can you repost the link to that verbiage somewhere?

So are you going to drop him?
No, just tired of having this on my mind all day today and nothing happens.

I'll obviously keep him on my bench but after that report...it doesn't seem likely. Alot of negotiations still need to be done it seems like and there was a mention putting it off until the end of the year.

Exactly!!

Huh?

:grad:
What's your problem dude? No one knows for sure, just giving my opinion. You're stating fact here that it's not going to happen.

I have a feeling you're going to look like a complete *bleep* in a day or two. Are you going to come back or disappear?

Exactly!!

Huh?

:grad:
What's your problem dude? No one knows for sure, just giving my opinion. You're stating fact here that it's not going to happen.

I have a feeling you're going to look like a complete *bleep* in a day or two. Are you going to come back or disappear?
A lot of people are going to disappear when this pushes through...mainly those who dropped Gordon and are #####ing because they lost a top 5 guy for a bye week filler.

Users who are viewing this thread