What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (13 Viewers)

Bayhawks,

It is sounding like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. It is not that a deal is hugely positive news or that it will outweigh the Rice scandel. It is just different news that definitely isn't negative. People are distracted very easily. Squirrel!!
Huh?I'm just pointing out that people in this thread who think the NFL "NEEDS" this policy for a publicity "WIN" are grasping at straws. I've said several times, IF a policy gets done, it's because the NFL wants it, not because they "NEED" a "WIN."
Two guys saying this does not the everyone make.

The two issues are not even in the same universe.
Go back through the last dozen or so pages (or more) if you must; it's A LOT more than 2 guys saying this.
That's because this thread is jam-packed with Gordon owners who will see a reason in anything. "Goodell needs a PR win" is this week's version of "the appeal taking this long means Gordon is going to win."
I know that.

From PFT:

Goodell said both Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy and 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald would fall under the new domestic violence policy, even though Hardy’s arrest and conviction (which has been appealed to a November jury trial) came before the policy changed.

“It’s very important to make sure we have all the facts and to make sure law enforcement has the opportunity to do what they need to do,” Goodell said of the two cases. “But then we have to make sure whatever action that we should take at the appropriate time, we’re in position to do.”

QUESTION: So if actions in these cases that took place prior to policy revisions on domestic violence would incur the new penalties implemented, why would this not apply to Gordon the other way around?
That's a good question. Although I believe the McDonald arrest took place AFTER the announcement, Hardy's incident was prior to the new policy. I'd imagine if the NFL tried to punish him with the new guidelines, the NFLPA would have to fight it and/or Hardy would have legal grounds to object.

That being said, the old policy allowed Goodell to issue punishments for personal conduct issues as he saw fit, so I suppose he could say that he saw a 6 game suspension as appropriate under the old policy.
I think the NFLPA may balk at allowing any retroactive punishment. Leniency and punishment are not treated the same.

I say that because there is a very real possibility that a decent percentage of the players have been involved in DV in the past and would worry that a motivated current or ex GF or even wife might use that to her advantage. I doubt that the players would sign off on handing out significant suspensions for infractions that weren't treated as harshly when the infraction occurred.

Are Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant going to vote for retroactive punishment of previous DV incidents? Is helping out Josh Gordon get back in the league enough to put their head on the block? No way.

I don't think it's going to be a ### for tat on the retroactive punishment vs. retroactive leniency. I think you don't get near as much retroactive punishment as you do leniency.
Its not retroactive punishments of previous DV incidents - it will be applying current punishments when they are first presented to the commissioner.

Marshall and Bryant have had their meeting with Goodell (I think) over their respective incidents.

How can we make this Ray Rice public outcry thing go away?...Hey I got it, lets go easy on illegal drug users.....Brilliant!
You do realize its legal in several states.
When the Feds legalize it let me know.
Pretty sure its not breaking any federal laws if you use it in a state where its legal. There, now you know. :cool:
Pretty sure you're wrong.
Feel free to follow up with the law. I am confident that even outside those states the laws only refer to possession, sale, cultivation, and sale of paraphernalia. Just get us the facts though and educate everyone.

:lmao: I can't believe how some of you think. "The NFL needs a win so they are going to reverse the Gordon suspension."

This Rice coverup/story is on the cover of the Daily News and being talked about on every news show. It's the biggest news story of the week and one of the biggest of the year. My wife was asking me about it and I can promise you she doesn't care about the NFL at all. She wouldn't know who Josh Gordon is if he was cheefin in our driveway.

The Gordon/drug thing won't even make a dent. Get real.
But at the same time, how much does she add to the NFL's bottom line?

If it plays with the fans, that's who the NFL cares most about. Not a non-fan who only has an inkling of what goes on in the NFL when something happens to make mention on The View.

When people who never set foot in your store say they are boycotting you, you only worry if it starts to convince those that do to stop coming.
Well, if the NFL wasn't worried about growing their fan base they wouldn't be trying to expand in Europe, dressing in pink and doing many other things to add fans. So yes, what the current non-fan thinks matters. Along with the fact that the non-fans are exactly who politicians can play to for greatest effect.
It might depend on them thinking that, say, Europe is MORE concerned about domestic violence than is the U.S.A. or that the European market would be a tougher nut to crack from a start-up position due to public image issues related to the DV scandal.

My point though is that the current fans are going to drive the agenda much more so than will some maybe down the road possible fan. As good as the NFL has been about managing image, I can't see them losing sight of their base.

And I don't think you can directly compare an emerging/new geographical market push to trying to reach out to a demographic that has already had decades of exposure to your product in an established market and has thus far been resistant to becoming a consumer.

Do you care more about approaching people who have never used your product due to lack of exposure or those that have rejected it over and over again? To put it another way, why push into Europe rather than depending upon appeal to a broader demographic and instead setting up in smaller markets in the U.S.?

Last edited by a moderator:
How can we make this Ray Rice public outcry thing go away?...Hey I got it, lets go easy on illegal drug users.....Brilliant!
Pretty sure its not breaking any federal laws if you use it in a state where its legal. There, now you know. :cool:
Technically you can be arrested for

You can get busted by a federal law enforcement officer in a state where marijuana is legal. Obama has said not to do that, but technically it's against federal law to possess, use, distribute marijuana, but it's not enforced by the feds. Good of Obama to recognize states' rights.

he may be a nice guy but he is an idiot, and none of this changes that

it just means the browns do not have to be as concerned with him being an idiot because it is less likely to impact them

i say less likely because more DUIs could still bite him on the ###

Technically you can be arrested for

You can get busted by a federal law enforcement officer in a state where marijuana is legal. Obama has said not to do that, but technically it's against federal law to possess, use, distribute marijuana, but it's not enforced by the feds. Good of Obama to recognize states' rights.
Technically, its against the law to Jaywalk....so I hope we are not going to start getting uber technical.

it just means the browns do not have to be as concerned with him being an idiot because it is less likely to impact them

I see the "idiot" thing thrown around a lot about Gordon. Seems like the problems that are public aren't much different than many 23 year old kids. He drinks and parties. He just needs to mature, and probably could use some mentoring to make better choices.

That is another crazy thing about the punishment doled out by the league. Where is the support and rehabilitation? This is another problem with Goodell and the NFL, even with the domestic abuse policy, there is very little effort in rehabilitation. Fans like to see these players. Players mess up. How about going the extra mile to help and support them? It is crazy just to banish talented players. Fans want to see great athletes play football. Punishment is fine, but the absence of league support to help rehabilitate them is just insane. Take their game checks, don't let them play, but don't let them remain with the team? Dumb.

Bayhawks,

It is sounding like you are arguing just for the sake of arguing. It is not that a deal is hugely positive news or that it will outweigh the Rice scandel. It is just different news that definitely isn't negative. People are distracted very easily. Squirrel!!
Huh?I'm just pointing out that people in this thread who think the NFL "NEEDS" this policy for a publicity "WIN" are grasping at straws. I've said several times, IF a policy gets done, it's because the NFL wants it, not because they "NEED" a "WIN."
Two guys saying this does not the everyone make.

The two issues are not even in the same universe.
Go back through the last dozen or so pages (or more) if you must; it's A LOT more than 2 guys saying this.
That's because this thread is jam-packed with Gordon owners who will see a reason in anything. "Goodell needs a PR win" is this week's version of "the appeal taking this long means Gordon is going to win."
I know that.

From PFT:

Goodell said both Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy and 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald would fall under the new domestic violence policy, even though Hardy’s arrest and conviction (which has been appealed to a November jury trial) came before the policy changed.

“It’s very important to make sure we have all the facts and to make sure law enforcement has the opportunity to do what they need to do,” Goodell said of the two cases. “But then we have to make sure whatever action that we should take at the appropriate time, we’re in position to do.”

QUESTION: So if actions in these cases that took place prior to policy revisions on domestic violence would incur the new penalties implemented, why would this not apply to Gordon the other way around?
That's a good question. Although I believe the McDonald arrest took place AFTER the announcement, Hardy's incident was prior to the new policy. I'd imagine if the NFL tried to punish him with the new guidelines, the NFLPA would have to fight it and/or Hardy would have legal grounds to object.

That being said, the old policy allowed Goodell to issue punishments for personal conduct issues as he saw fit, so I suppose he could say that he saw a 6 game suspension as appropriate under the old policy.
I think the NFLPA may balk at allowing any retroactive punishment. Leniency and punishment are not treated the same.

I say that because there is a very real possibility that a decent percentage of the players have been involved in DV in the past and would worry that a motivated current or ex GF or even wife might use that to her advantage. I doubt that the players would sign off on handing out significant suspensions for infractions that weren't treated as harshly when the infraction occurred.

Are Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant going to vote for retroactive punishment of previous DV incidents? Is helping out Josh Gordon get back in the league enough to put their head on the block? No way.

I don't think it's going to be a ### for tat on the retroactive punishment vs. retroactive leniency. I think you don't get near as much retroactive punishment as you do leniency.
Omg, if Hardy got off w/ a 2 game suspension, you can bet heads will roll... The guy is worse than Rice, video or not.

Hell even 6 games is way, WAY too lenient for this guy!

Pretty sure you shouldn't give legal advice.

Feel free to follow up with the law. I am confident that even outside those states the laws only refer to possession, sale, cultivation, and sale of paraphernalia. Just get us the facts though and educate everyone.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/844.htm

21 u.s.c. section 844.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/844.htm21 u.s.c. section 844.
Thanks for doing the legwork.

It's a bookmark on my desktop. But I'll still bill you for a quarter hour.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/21usc/844.htm

21 u.s.c. section 844.
Seems like a technicality.

Are you as outraged when players get caught driving 100 MPH? That endangers other people's lives.

Was Josh Gordon charged or convicted of a federal drug crime? I missed that part.
Oh boy here we go again....I am not outraged....The man broke the rules of conduct that he agreed to, as such he should be punished within the guidelines of those rules....IMO If the rule is changed after the fact he should still remain punished as per the agreement that was in place at the time of his punishment....Simple.

Pretty sure it is against the laws of the NFL...The same laws that Josh Gordon agreed to abide by.....There now hopefully you can understand.

In what way did Josh Gordon violate that? It talks a lot about possession, distribution, etc., correct? Please post the link to the police report showing his arrest for possession of a substance referenced in that.

The DUI is a different story.

Pretty sure it is against the laws of the NFL...The same laws that Josh Gordon agreed to abide by.....There now hopefully you can understand.
The NFL does not have authority to pass laws. Pretty sure the government does that. The NFL is free to have rules and the rule they currently have in place rightly has JG suspended. They are also free the change their rules without requiring government approval as long as they don't violate law.

In what way did Josh Gordon violate that? It talks a lot about possession, distribution, etc., correct? Please post the link to the police report showing his arrest for possession of a substance referenced in that.

You do understand they were talking about the legality of weed, correct? Specifically that it is against federal law to possess it, even in states where it may be legal, under specific circumstances?

On topic: Bovada has lowered the payout for betting against Gordon playing this year.

Plays again: -400

Doesn't: +250 (was +300)

Sharks were betting better than 25% Gotdon doesn't play.

You do understand they were talking about the legality of weed, correct? Specifically that it is against federal law to possess it, even in states where it may be legal, under specific circumstances?
Was Josh Gordon arrested for possession of weed? No.

:lmao: at playing the heavy against Josh Gordon. By all accounts I've seen, he's a nice guy and is completely harmless.
Was he driving around drunk in your state with your family/friends on the road?
I don't know, but I do know I'm not overly concerned about somebody driving at .09.
My cousin was killed by a drunk driver who blew exactly a .09. I won't pretend to be any better than anyone else, because in my younger days I drove when I was likely over a .09...likely when I was older than Josh Gordon. With that said, this is much more serious to me than testing at .01ng higher than an already small threshold.

I own Josh Gordon and I'll gladly play him if he is reinstated. I'll also be fine if his suspension is upheld. Personally, I think that he's an idiot and even if he wasn't smoking himself (which I highly doubt is the case), he put himself in a position to fail a test. When it comes to the DUI, he was hanging out with PJ Hairston and driving drunk...that's two idiotic things at the same time.

At the end of the day though, let the legal system work itself out. As I've said in the past, my opinion is that for serious offenses like domestic abuse, drunk driving, etc. the NFL shouldn't even need to be involved. If the legal system would do it's job and punish these people as they should, it wouldn't matter. If you're sitting in prison, you can't play football. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to ever happen though.

MIMN said:
Ditka Butkus said:
dagwood said:
Ditka Butkus said:
dagwood said:
Ditka Butkus said:
The NFL does not have authority to pass laws. Pretty sure the government does that. The NFL is free to have rules and the rule they currently have in place rightly has JG suspended. They are also free the change their rules without requiring government approval as long as they don't violate law.
While technically you are correct..The NFL rules are required to be followed or the administering agency will punish you according to the guidelines of those rules.

Bayhawks said:
MIMN said:
Henry Ford said:
Bamac said:
Henry Ford said:
MIMN said:
Bamac said:
dagwood said:

If he got a contact buzz from second hand smoke, then he never possessed it.

with reading of 16 and 13.5, the contact buzz explanation makes sense....

ericttspikes said:
B-Deep said:

I see the "idiot" thing thrown around a lot about Gordon. Seems like the problems that are public aren't much different than many 23 year old kids. He drinks and parties. He just needs to mature, and probably could use some mentoring to make better choices.

That is another crazy thing about the punishment doled out by the league. Where is the support and rehabilitation? This is another problem with Goodell and the NFL, even with the domestic abuse policy, there is very little effort in rehabilitation. Fans like to see these players. Players mess up. How about going the extra mile to help and support them? It is crazy just to banish talented players. Fans want to see great athletes play football. Punishment is fine, but the absence of league support to help rehabilitate them is just insane. Take their game checks, don't let them play, but don't let them remain with the team? Dumb.
he's risked his dream, and millions of dollars, for weed

he's an idiot

ericttspikes said:
B-Deep said:

he's risked his dream, and millions of dollars, for weed

he's an idiot
I've come to realize his fellow weed smokers will defend him no matter how idiotic his actions are. As you state the guy risked a fortune to get high...

MIMN said:
Bayhawks said:
MIMN said:
Henry Ford said:
Bamac said:
Henry Ford said:
MIMN said:
Bamac said:
dagwood said:

Were they talking about Josh Gordon being arrested for the possession of weed? No.

Try reading before you post. They were talking about weed being illegal, per federal laws, even in states where state laws made it legal.

MIMN said:
Bayhawks said:
MIMN said:
Henry Ford said:
Bamac said:
Henry Ford said:
MIMN said:
Bamac said:
dagwood said:

Were they talking about Josh Gordon being arrested for the possession of weed? No.

Try reading before you post. They were talking about weed being illegal, per federal laws, even in states where state laws made it legal.
I wonder is he has the site Jaywalking being illegal bookmarked on his desktop?

Pretty sure that the powers that be prosecute jaywalking and possession of marijuana (in states where its legal) at about the same rate.

Taking this back onto a FF track, has anyone made any trades involving Gordon?

I'm thinking of packaging Gordon and a WR2 for a WR1. That way you upgrade your WR2 spot no matter what regardless of Gordon outcome. Seems like smart asset management to me.

I'm thinking of packaging Gordon and a WR2 for a WR1. That way you upgrade your WR2 spot no matter what regardless of Gordon outcome. Seems like smart asset management to me.
Sure, if you can pull it off. I'm not sure it'll be easy in redrafts. I would be uncomfortable trading my WR1 for Gordon and a WR2 right now.

Doubt you get any bites on that till further news, and at that point you may want to keep him.

For me he is strictly a hold, too much upside to trade away. You'll never get what he's worth when he's active.

If he ends up not playing this year (or ever), so be it.

But, I like to roll the dice.

I was offered 1st/Wheaton for him earlier, passed on that.

Sure, if you can pull it off. I'm not sure it'll be easy in redrafts. I would be uncomfortable trading my WR1 for Gordon and a WR2 right now.
I'm trying to trade for Gordon in one my redrafts. The Gordon owner wants either Marshall or Brown for him. No chance I make that trade.

Like anything else. His value will be discounted now but may go to zero if the suspension is upheld.

I am finding people who own him are valueing him as if he is playing Sunday. People who want him are discounting his value as if there is a significant risk that he may still miss time. Huge valuation gap which makes trades difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread